Formula One: 2023 Season News and Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 10:12 AM

Received 5,488 Likes on 3,746 Posts
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...wzHfr9rXp.html

Daniel Ricciardo will make a sensational return to front-line Formula 1 racing at the upcoming Hungarian Grand Prix, with the Australian set to replace Nyck de Vries at the AlphaTauri team for the rest of the season.

Ricciardo was in action today at Silverstone, driving Red Bull’s current RB19 car in a Pirelli tyre test.

But it’s now been announced that Ricciardo – currently Red Bull’s third driver – will take the place of De Vries from Hungary onwards at AlphaTauri.

“I am stoked to be back on track with the Red Bull family!” said Ricciardo of his new posting, after impressing in his Silverstone test.

"I’m very pleased to welcome Daniel back into the team,” commented Franz Tost, AlphaTauri Team Principal. “There’s no doubt about his driving skills, and he already knows many of us, so his integration will be easy and straight forward. The team will also profit a lot from his experience, as he is an eight-time Formula 1 Grand Prix winner."

Dutch driver De Vries – who starred in a one-off drive for Williams at Monza last year, claiming ninth position – has endured a difficult first season of full-time F1 racing and is yet to score, with AlphaTauri rooted to the bottom of the constructors’ standings.

That’s led to him being replaced after 10 Grands Prix, with eight-time race winner Ricciardo – who lost his drive with McLaren at the end of 2022 following two trying seasons with the team – set to re-join the Faenza-based squad with whom he spent two seasons in 2012 and 2013 in their Toro Rosso guise, before his promotion to Red Bull for 2014.

Ricciardo went on to net seven victories for Red Bull, before joining Renault for two seasons from 2019, then moving onto McLaren for 2021.

Ricciardo had been outspoken in recent interviews about his desire to make it back to a full-time F1 seat, the Australian recently telling ESPN: “Right now, I do want to get back on the grid next year. I do feel like there’s certainly some unfinished business. I’m staying in the loop and staying prepared.”

Ricciardo’s first race back, meanwhile, will come at the venue where he scored the second of his F1 victories at the 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix.
Old 07-11-2023, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
I feel a bit for NDV. He is a super nice guy but his results behind the wheel just did not align with where AT want to be on the grid.
The following users liked this post:
Legend2TL (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 11:15 AM

He had a spectacular debut with Williams, and just hasn't put up enough to back it up.
I imagine Monza has to be one of the 'easier' tracks to run as a rookie.
NDV will sit in the wings & if DR can't put comparative or better results than Yuki, I'm sure they'll swap it back.

Points are really at a premium now. With RBR, AM, MB, Fer, and now MCL running at/near the front, that leaves just scraps for the lower 5 teams to attempt to grab the point Perez isn't getting .
Old 07-11-2023, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
… to attempt to grab the point Perez isn't getting .
hey, that’s not fair to Perez… he tried to get that extra point at Austria but Max switched to softs at the last minute to take fastest lap from him
Old 07-11-2023, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,241 Likes on 3,677 Posts
Now for Danny Ricc to outqualify Perez and TSU . . .
The following 2 users liked this post by Chief F1 Fan:
Bearcat94 (07-12-2023), civicdrivr (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 02:54 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,139 Likes on 820 Posts
Obviously a test by Red Bull to see if Ricciardo is race fit. If he is, he will be moving to Red Bull and replace Perez, who will be dropped to AlphaTauri.
Old 07-11-2023, 02:56 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Williams livery for Singapore, Japan, and Qatar.
The following 4 users liked this post by F-C:
00TL-P3.2 (07-11-2023), Chief F1 Fan (07-13-2023), civicdrivr (07-11-2023), thoiboi (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 03:01 PM

Looks great, IMO
Old 07-11-2023, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C

Williams livery for Singapore, Japan, and Qatar.

Wow that is HOT, not they'll be able to be differentiated from the Alpines

I mean apart from the WIlliams not DNFing that is
Chief F1 Fan (07-19-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 504 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Now for Danny Ricc to outqualify Perez and TSU . . .
LOL, poor ole Ric hasn’t been to hot in the past few years, pretty solid underperformer at mclaren. He did have some brilliant time at RB early in career though, maybe the spark is back. I think he’s mostly a great PR guy for the team.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
I feel a bit for NDV. He is a super nice guy but his results behind the wheel just did not align with where AT want to be on the grid.
I think they cut rookies way too soon. Albon and Gasly got cut really early, but now they have turned around and are doing fairly well. Tsunoda didn’t have a very polished rookie season either but I think he’s turning things around now.
The cars as they are now don’t seem to be something that you can just jump in from a f2 or formulaE and place it high on the grid.
Old 07-11-2023, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by F-C
Obviously a test by Red Bull to see if Ricciardo is race fit. If he is, he will be moving to Red Bull and replace Perez, who will be dropped to AlphaTauri.
Horner just said yesterday Danny Rick would never be a RBR driver again. Boom, he's an AT driver the very next day obviously still in the RBR fold.
civicdrivr (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 08:51 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts
Rumor is DRs times at the tire test at Silverstone today would've put him on the front row of the GP Sunday...

I think he's fit.

And this is definitely a warning shot to Perez. Dude better get his shit together, and quick.
Chief F1 Fan (07-13-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 06:36 AM

Yeah, they mentioned that he's been running the sim hard. DR is just a likable guy, hoping he's still got it.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

I guess we will see how he does, the thing is, he performed well in the fastest car on the grid, how will he do in the Tauri car really isn’t the fastest. I still think it’s premature. With Daniels record, he’ll probably make a surprise announcement that he’s ditching the team and going to another
Old 07-14-2023, 08:09 AM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...2024/10495626/

With F1 now fully committed to incorporating a selection of sprint races throughout the F1 calendar, talks are set to begin soon about ways to further fine-tune the spectacle in 2024.

While grand prix bosses are happy to keep the number of sprint races at six for next year, a gathering of the F1 Commission scheduled for the Belgian Grand Prix weekend looks set to discuss tweaks to the sprint plans.

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has now revealed that one idea being looked at is to introduce a special ‘Grand Slam’ element to sprint weekends – which would be awarded to any driver who takes pole position and victory for both the sprint and main grand prix.

In an exclusive interview with Motorsport.com talking about the sprint plans for next year, Domenicali said: “There will be six sprints, and we will announce them I think in September, because we have a meeting of the Formula 1 Commission scheduled for the weekend of the Belgian Grand Prix.

“There is a proposal that I would like to make, in line with the concept of the ‘Grand Slam’. It is that drivers who take the two poles and the two race wins over the weekend should be recognised with something extra, which represents well the sporting enterprise they have achieved.”

The idea of the ‘Grand Slam’ is still in its early phases, and it is understood that F1 wants discussions with teams first about the general concept before it focuses more on what the final award could be.

It is thought unlikely that it would result in extra championship points being offered, but it could end up being a special trophy or other reward to be given out if a driver is dominant.

As well as the ‘Grand Slam’ idea, F1 teams are also set to discuss whether or not the format for the sprint weekends should be refined for next year.

It is understood that areas being looked at are whether or not the tyre allocation or parc ferme rules should be changed, and even whether the flow of the weekends are shaken up to build momentum better towards Sunday’s race.

At the moment, Saturdays at a sprint race weekend are completely standalone, with sprint qualifying in the morning and the shorter race in the afternoon.

One idea that has been suggested by some team bosses is for Friday qualifying at sprint weekends to decide the grid for the sprint race, which would take place on Saturday morning rather than in the afternoon. Then Saturday afternoon would be devoted to qualifying for the actual grand prix itself.

Should any changes be made to the sprint format, then it would be yet another change to the weekend timetable, something that could risk confusing fans.

Domenicali insists, however, that research shows that tweaking the format does not risk being a turn off for many.

"We have analysed this point,” he said. “I believe that the risk is more related to loyal viewers, who have their own habits, rather than to new fans, who are much more open to change.

“However, there is no big news on the format front. We want to stabilise the six weekends with the sprint race and respect the habits of the long-time fans.”
Old 07-14-2023, 08:10 AM

https://www.fox5vegas.com/2023/07/13...oll-into-town/

One of the world’s biggest sports requires one of the world’s biggest cargo shipments to make its way to Las Vegas.

Formula 1 representatives presented a timeline to the LVCVA for 200 tons of equipment and more to arrive in town, well before the November 16 to 18 race.

“This is a very heavy lift for any city. We are aware of what the movement of all of those goods is going to require,” Clark County Chair Jim Gibson said, who sits on the board. F1 is leasing various pieces of land to store the equipment upon arrival.

To reach 14 countries every season, freights must arrive by air, land and sea; equipment includes jacks and trolleys, kitchen equipment, Fan Zone items, and the buildout of the broadcast center. F1 broadcasts to 500 million people with 126 cameras and 37 miles of cable.

Here is the timeline for the equipment arrival:
  • Oct 1: 150 containers for the Paddock
  • Oct 20: 50 containers from sea freights
  • Nov. 5: F1 TV compounds
  • Nov. 6: seven cargo planes
  • Nov. 12: Teams set up their equipment
PhilB81 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

During our F1 trip to Japan, the wife and I got a behind the scenes tour of the logistics where they shared some of that information with us and we could ask questions. Absolutely mind blowing the amount of freight the teams and FOM ships around the world.
Old 07-14-2023, 09:44 AM

Suzuka is a bucket list trip, for sure.
Coworker asked me, if I had an all expenses paid trip to any F1 race, which would I pick. Was torn between Suzuka, Silverstone & Spa.
Old 07-14-2023, 11:05 AM

Max's new car, to give the rest of the field a chance to catch up?

https://jalopnik.com/formula-1-tract...far-1850633209

PhilB81 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Coworker asked me, if I had an all expenses paid trip to any F1 race, which would I pick. Was torn between Suzuka, Silverstone & Spa.

all expenses paid would be Monaco for me.. that city is fucking expensive. But next would be Silverstone and Suzuka. I plan on going to Hungary but Azerbaijan looks like a gorgeous city with all of the castles.
PhilB81 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 11:19 AM

Monaco for sure, but not the most exciting of races compared to some other tracks.
I'm sure @Chief F1 Fan can expand on his experience there.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

We did Montreal 3x, the inaugural Austin GP at COTA and Suzuka, so that’s all I have to compare against, we were supposed to go to Singapore but that fell through.
The trip to Japan was an incredible experience and I can’t wait to go back! Being at Suzuka was super cool too, and when we went it was some anniversary of the track so they has the V12, v10, v8 F1 cars running around the circuit as an exhibition so that was amazing. We also got really close to many drivers (I can post some pics if you all are interested…) so that experience was amazing. However it takes about 1hr to get to the track on the tour bus / package we got. The track is in the middle of nowhere.
COTA was a complete disaster when we went, my understanding is that things improved, but took us 2 hours to exit the parking lot on Sunday… awesome…
Montreal, take the subway to the island where the race is, those subways move a LOT of people, we had shuttle transport to the track which we used Friday and Saturday, but Sunday we just did the subway. The downtown area has several streets blocked off where they put exotic cars all over. It’s pretty awesome! (I can post pics of that too if interested).

SPA is also on my bucket list, so that’ll need to get checked off soon.

Max's new car, to give the rest of the field a chance to catch up?

https://jalopnik.com/formula-1-tract...far-1850633209

Wow, the Lamborghini f1 car, probably faster than the Ferrari
Old 07-14-2023, 12:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
all expenses paid would be Monaco for me.. that city is fucking expensive. But next would be Silverstone and Suzuka. I plan on going to Hungary but Azerbaijan looks like a gorgeous city with all of the castles.
Monaco isn’t that bad actually, most people stay in nice, Beaulieu sur mer, etc and take the train in. Singapore is the most expensive if I remember correctly. If I remember right, outside of Vegas and possibly Miami, Singapore has the most expensive hospitality suites.

oh I agree about Azerbaijan, I really like the setting of the track, looks so cool on camera, not sure as a spectator what you see though. For a spectator, the Mexican GP with that stadium section has to be pretty sweet!
Old 07-14-2023, 01:24 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/d...team/10495650/

A decision on whether extra entries will be accepted is expected to be announced in the coming weeks, with Andretti and Hitech the highest-profile candidates.

The process is run by the FIA, but the F1 organisation also has to agree to allow a new team to join the field.

Existing teams have made clear that they don’t want to let another entrant in and Domenicali has voiced his support for this position, stressing that a newcomer would have to add value to the sport - an argument previously put forward by Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff.

"On that, I'm not changing my mind,” Domenicali told Motorsport.com. "It's not the money, as we have said, and I don't want to anticipate anything because there is a process and I think that I have respect the fact the FIA launched their process, and very soon we will arrive at the conclusion.

“As we always said, we need to make sure that the decision is right for the business. And this is what I think is the duty of the FIA and us together, that has to be taken. So that is another decision that will be taken in the next couple of months."

Asked if there were positives in allowing the Andretti/Cadillac bid to proceed he said: “There are positives and negatives, that's part of the evaluation that we're doing. So I cannot spoil or anticipate anything.

“We are doing things very seriously and correctly. So as soon as we will be ready for that discussion we're going to inform, as a discussion we're going to take it with the FIA together.”

Another pending decision regards the tyre tender for the period 2025-27, with an option for 2028.

Bridgestone is challenging incumbent Pirelli, and having been approved by the FIA the bids are currently being assessed by Domenicali and F1, with a focus on the commercial aspect.

"It should be close,” he said when asked if a verdict is near. “As always, we're going to decide that together. So it shouldn't take too long for the final decision.

"I mean, I cannot anticipate too much. There are all the elements in place there are technical elements, commercial elements, and economical elements. So all of these things we try to make the right evaluation of, for the best decision for F1 of course.”

Meanwhile, Domenicali acknowledged that some teams have expressed concerns regarding the 2026 power unit package, with Christian Horner calling for a change to the current 50:50 balance between the combustion engine and electrical power.

"I think there's need to always be a balance to understand the comments,” he said. “It's a lot of work to be done in the next couple of weeks, and there are other meetings that will happen in the next weeks to make sure that the evolution of the project is going in the right direction.

“So I want to be positive in the fact that we are going to have the right package, considering of course, the decisions that have been taken with regard to the engine, the power unit and the car itself."

Domenicali acknowledged that much is riding on the 2026 rules, noting that sustainable fuel is a key element.

“Absolutely," he said. "If you look at what we decided on sustainable fuel, now people are understanding the ICE has a value, if you're doing the project with the right sustainable fuel.

“I think there is a great future, not only for mobility but also for racing itself, because, as you know weight and sound are two elements that for us are very important. So we need to keep these two elements at the centre of the agenda.

“I think as always in life, you need to make sure that there is the right balance, and together to have the best vision for the best programme for F1. And I'm convinced that we will achieve that.”
Old 07-14-2023, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by PhilB81
Monaco isn’t that bad actually, most people stay in nice, Beaulieu sur mer, etc and take the train in. Singapore is the most expensive if I remember correctly. If I remember right, outside of Vegas and possibly Miami, Singapore has the most expensive hospitality suites.

oh I agree about Azerbaijan, I really like the setting of the track, looks so cool on camera, not sure as a spectator what you see though. For a spectator, the Mexican GP with that stadium section has to be pretty sweet!
Lack of track visibility is what puts Spa a bit lower on my list
COTA spoils you with how much of the track you can see from most of the seating locations.
We did T9 in 2017 & T4 in 2018, and you can see the majority of the track from both places
PhilB81 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 01:27 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...h-gp/10495438/

The French GP returned to Circuit Paul Ricard in 2018 after a long absence, but its contract was not renewed after the 2022 event, and it fell off this year’s schedule.

Even before Ricard’s demise was confirmed, a street event in Nice had emerged as a possible replacement, although some observers thought that F1’s interest was also related to its ongoing negotiations with Monaco over a new contract, a situation that has now been resolved.

According to the newspaper Nice-Matin, Nice mayor Christian Estrosi recently wrote to Macron asking for his support and stressing the importance of the French GP.

He responded favourably and gave Estrosi and FFSA president Nicolas Deschaux the responsibility of dealing with F1/Liberty Media and launching a feasibility study for the return of the race, while not committing to a particular venue. Both men were previously involved in getting the event to Paul Ricard.

Macron wrote: "Be sure that I fully share your ambition. Indeed, as you point out, our country must be able, like the other major international sporting events it organises every year, to reconnect with F1, for the pleasure of all.

“It is an issue of attractiveness for our country, the influence of our automotive industry and innovation to support the decarbonisation of this sector."

He added: “As such, you will be able to study the different possible location options [in France], identifying for each their economic model, their compatibility with our ecological commitments and their possible contribution to regional and national development.

“In this context, you will focus on engaging in discussions with the holders of the rights to F1.”

Estrosi’s Nice connections make it an obvious candidate, and it remains to be seen which other cities are given serious consideration.

Macron’s backing is significant, as current Paul Ricard boss Jean Alesi believes that the venue’s disappearance from the calendar was hastened by a lack of political support.

“The problem with F1 in France is not with the circuit, it’s with the politics,” he told Motorsport.com.

“It’s probably the only F1 grand prix that’s never had a president come to watch it – except for at Magny-Cours once, when [Francois] Mitterrand attended as part of his political wish for the race to be there.

“Since then, it’s never happened. The problem is not with the circuit; the problem is the wish of the country. My other job is a F1 Ambassador, so my link to F1 is direct – with no bullshit – and they are very clear about that.”

An F1 source noted that the organisation is open to discussions with Macron’s team to run the race in “an iconic French location.”

Meanwhile, in a related story on Wednesday, the Nice Cote d’Azur metropolitan authorities agreed to pay €5m to help the Public Interest Group of the French GP organisation pay off a €27m debt that it had accrued from the Paul Ricard events.

The move was not without controversy, especially as it came before the delivery of an audit into the activities of the organisation, which is due at the end of the month.

"There is no question of paying an advance of 5 million when there are potential irregularities,” EELV [ecology] MP Fabrice Decoupigny told Nice-Matin.

“You don't vote without knowing. They put the knife to our throat, while at the same time, Christian Estrosi increases the tram ticket by 70% and stops subsidies for electromobility."

One local mayor said: "I asked for the list of creditors, I got nothing. And then, an advance means that we can give more than 5 million. This is enormous in view of the efforts we are asking of our fellow citizens whose taxes have already increased."

The row appears unlikely to help any future efforts to commit public funds to a street race project in Nice.
PhilB81 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lack of track visibility is what puts Spa a bit lower on my list
COTA spoils you with how much of the track you can see from most of the seating locations.
We did T9 in 2017 & T4 in 2018, and you can see the majority of the track from both places
we were in turn 12, at the time we could see that whole complex there and the esses by turn 4 I think it was. Not sure now how it is now, this was back in 2012.
Old 07-14-2023, 02:42 PM

I don't think much has changed. From T3-4 you can see T2 though about T13
Mostly just the very end of the lap & the pit straight through T1 weren't visible
PhilB81 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 01:27 PM

https://www.sbnation.com/formula-one...ian-grand-prix

At next weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix, qualifying will look a little different on Saturday.

Formula 1, in conjunction with Pirelli, is testing a new set of rules regarding what tyre compounds teams can use during each segment of qualifying. Titled “‘Alternative Tyre Allocation” (ATA), teams now see their total amount of slick tyre compounds for the weekend reduced from 13 to 11. These will be divided into three hard tyres, four medium tyres, and four soft tyres.

During qualifying, teams are limited in what compounds they can use in dry conditions. Teams are required to use the hard compound during Q1, the medium compound during Q2, and finally they can use the softs during Q3.

If race officials deem track conditions to be “wet,” teams have their choice of compounds.

F1 was going to test this format at the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix in May, but flooding in the region forced the cancelation of that race. Now, the Hungaroring will be the site of this first tweak to qualifying.

Ahead of the race at Imola in May, Pirelli Motorsport Director Mario Isola outlined how the new rules were an effort towards F1’s goals regarding sustainability.

“At Imola we will be testing a new regulation that requires teams to use a different type of compound for each of the three sessions, with the hards fitted for Q1, the mediums for Q2, and the softs for Q3,” said Pirelli Motorsport Director Mario Isola. “This means a reduction - from 13 to 11 - of the sets of dry tyres that each driver has available for the entire event, therefore decreasing the environmental impact generated by the production and transport of the tyres.”

This will be the first of two trials for the ATA. The second test for this qualifying format will come in September’s Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:06 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Does that mean the cars will start the race on the compound they qualified in?
Old 07-17-2023, 03:21 PM

I don't think so, I think they still get free choice for the race, just that they're compound restricted for quali.
Seems this will just hurt the slower teams even more in Q1
Old 07-17-2023, 07:54 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I think so, too. If everyone is fixed on their tyre compound, slower teams won't be able to risk it in Q1 by using a faster compound than the faster teams.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:55 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts
I think it should be the reverse. Soft for Q1, Medium for Q2 and Hard for Q3.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:56 AM

That would really shake it up, make the fast bois run on the harder tire for P1.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Honestly, I’m a bit tired of the interfering. If they wanna run 8 sets of softs, do it. What’s next, oh, they have to do 3 laps every 10 laps at no more than 70% throttle because (insert random save the planet reason, never mind the logistics of transport from race to race especially with back to back weekends, oh and let’s add more races to the season, you know carbon footprint n all that). Or maybe, if they are within 1 second of the car in front, voters can call in and if a majority vote for an overtake, they have to let him through! Also, Simon Cowell can have a golden buzzard to instantly promote a driver to the podium.
Sorry, but this is becoming theater not racing.
Maybe it’s just selective memory, but watching this growing up, I don’t remember so much tire management. Granted, I understand they are extracting way more out of the package and the margins are much narrower, but i miss when they could just try to run qualifying laps in the race.

Ok rant over (for now)
Old 07-18-2023, 11:05 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PhilB81
Honestly, I’m a bit tired of the interfering. If they wanna run 8 sets of softs, do it. What’s next, oh, they have to do 3 laps every 10 laps at no more than 70% throttle because (insert random save the planet reason, never mind the logistics of transport from race to race especially with back to back weekends, oh and let’s add more races to the season, you know carbon footprint n all that). Or maybe, if they are within 1 second of the car in front, voters can call in and if a majority vote for an overtake, they have to let him through! Also, Simon Cowell can have a golden buzzard to instantly promote a driver to the podium.
Sorry, but this is becoming theater not racing.
Maybe it’s just selective memory, but watching this growing up, I don’t remember so much tire management. Granted, I understand they are extracting way more out of the package and the margins are much narrower, but i miss when they could just try to run qualifying laps in the race.

Ok rant over (for now)
Lot's of old timers are ranting about these changes over the last few years.
civicdrivr (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 08:02 AM
Senior Moderator

I'm extremely tired of the interfering by the Marshall nannies, it really is getting tiring. Tweak here, tweak there, didn't work, try a different tweak.
PhilB81 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 08:07 AM

Yup, just let it be.
At least they have the sense to drop a 'change' that doesn't work. Like the abysmal quali change in 2016 with that awful elimination quali, that IIRC only lasted 2 races.
The following 2 users liked this post by 00TL-P3.2:
civicdrivr (07-19-2023), PhilB81 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F-C
Lot's of old timers are ranting about these changes over the last few years.
i am old, so this checks out.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:34 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

I started watching F1 in 1991, so that era of F1 is my perfection:
  • Open entries (20 teams!)
  • Open engines (V12 vs V10 vs V8)
  • Tire war (Goodyear vs. Pirelli vs Bridgestone)
  • Pre-qualifying
  • Qualifying engines (1000hp!)

Quick Reply: Formula One: 2023 Season News and Discussion Thread