Money & Investing Learn how to get rich on the housing bubble and the bull market…

Taxes help!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 832 Posts
Taxes help!

So i look for my AZ family for help

Here is the situation. I had my taxes sent to my parents accountant in Florida about 2 weeks before the deadline. He told us after a week he would need a week to do it. Now i been worried my ass off that after the deadline, and after all the phone calls and e-mails from me and my parents, this guy has spoken hasn't replied yet. I dunno what to do with this. He has done pretty much my whole family in FL and they seem satisfied in his work. This is very frustrating and I am working my ass off and living paycheck to paycheck since i don't make enough to save or put any mods on my car, should i get a lawyer to give me legal advice? Let my parents handle it? I already sent numerous e-mail stating a reply back. My parents are telling me not to worry but the check that i sent to him hasn't cleared yet or i haven't got my refund if there is any. ugh this is giving me a headache.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me get this straight...you are filing your own taxes (not dependent of your parents), you sent this guy all your info & you haven't heard back from him at all.
You are sure you haven't actually filed your 2006 taxes.
You don't know if you owe or are getting a refund.

Is all that right?

If so, I would try to get my originals back, or at least get copies of them to give to another accountant. How much stuff do you have? If you don't have much (ie W2, some stuff to write off, and maybe interests and dividends), then I'd be more than happy to help you do your own damn taxes.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by asianspec
He has done pretty much my whole family in FL and they seem satisfied in his work...My parents are telling me not to worry but the check that i sent to him hasn't cleared yet or i haven't got my refund if there is any...
Call your parents and find out if the accountant filed an extension request for them, this year, or in past years. If so, accountant likely did the same for you so your return isn't due until August.

Both of my accountants were good about responding timely to the few e-mails I did send, though.
Try a phone call/voicemail message-- some of the older accountants don't consistently check their e-mail.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Call your parents and find out if the accountant filed an extension request for them, this year, or in past years. If so, accountant likely did the same for you so your return isn't due until August.
I assumed that you knew he would file an extension (form 4868) for you if he couldn't get your stuff done by the deadline. If you don't owe, it doesn't technically matter whether he did or not, but if you owe, he should cover whatever penalties & interest you will owe (around 8% of what you should've paid in). Good catch Will

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Both of my accountants were good about responding timely to the few e-mails I did send, though.
Try a phone call/voicemail message-- some of the older accountants don't consistently check their e-mail.

IMHO, there's no excuse for a tax accountant not to respond to any communication within 24 hrs unless it's the last 2 weeks of busy season (April 1st - 15th and October 1st - 15th) & you just keep calling, e-mailing, & being a general pest. Taxes & tax planning tend to be very time-sensitive
Old 06-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by revitupwriteitoff
I assumed that you knew he would file an extension (form 4868) for you if he couldn't get your stuff done by the deadline. If you don't owe, it doesn't technically matter whether he did or not, but if you owe, he should cover whatever penalties & interest you will owe (around 8% of what you should've paid in). Good catch Will

IMHO, there's no excuse for a tax accountant not to respond to any communication within 24 hrs unless it's the last 2 weeks of busy season (April 1st - 15th and October 1st - 15th) & you just keep calling, e-mailing, & being a general pest. Taxes & tax planning tend to be very time-sensitive

The bad thing is that he's the only one in this family that speaks english his whole family only speaks Spanish. My parents have left numerous calls and even sent his a reply back letter in the mail. During the busy season. i gave his the benefit of doubt to him since my parents likes how he works. im hoping that he filed a extension. so that i don't get screwed.

Thanks you guys rep points to you both.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Banned

The bad thing is that he's the only one in this family that speaks english his whole family only speaks Spanish. My parents have left numerous calls and even sent his a reply back letter in the mail. During the busy season. i gave his the benefit of doubt to him since my parents likes how he works. im hoping that he filed a extension. so that i don't get screwed.

Thanks you guys rep points to you both.
thanks for the posrep

PM me with any questions if you prefer your privacy...I do taxes (personal & business alike) for a living & I've been helped out by a lot of guys on here, so I'd be more than happy to give back what I can.

Let me know what all you have (whether your return is big or not, that is) and I can help you through it. If your return is nothing much, you should do it yourself & save the money.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:22 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
thanks for the posrep

PM me with any questions if you prefer your privacy...I do taxes (personal & business alike) for a living & I've been helped out by a lot of guys on here, so I'd be more than happy to give back what I can.

Let me know what all you have (whether your return is big or not, that is) and I can help you through it. If your return is nothing much, you should do it yourself & save the money.
Yeah rev is a good guy on here.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Yeah rev is a good guy on here.

I try
Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uhmm so why exactly would you wait until 2 weeks before the deadline to send him your info?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95gt
Uhmm so why exactly would you wait until 2 weeks before the deadline to send him your info?

lots of reasons....didn't get the necessary forms until late, has business interests that didn't get financials in until just before the deadline, etc.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

should i just let you be my accountant for next year's taxes. lol
Old 06-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Banned

should i just let you be my accountant for next year's taxes. lol

unless, of course, your return consists of something like 1 w-2 and a 1099-int. In that case...I would prefer not to take your money - you can do it yourself. I'd be more than happy to do it, though.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator

unless, of course, your return consists of something like 1 w-2 and a 1099-int. In that case...I would prefer not to take your money - you can do it yourself. I'd be more than happy to do it, though.
mine won't be that bad since im single and a student. if i have kids then probably it gets more complicated. i remember just using the EZ 1040
Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Senior Moderator

lots of reasons....didn't get the necessary forms until late, has business interests that didn't get financials in until just before the deadline, etc.
yes i didn't have all the info and i was going to do mine at H&R block but my parents told me about their accountant. plus i had to get a police report of my stolen car and to see if i can get a refund on that too.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Banned

mine won't be that bad since im single and a student. if i have kids then probably it gets more complicated. i remember just using the EZ 1040
So you have:

A w-2 from work
A poice report for your casualty/theft loss

....anything else? things like
did your parents claim you as a dependent?
interest from a savings account or other investments
do you own a home (mortgage interest, property taxes)
dividends from stocks you own
you're a student - who pays your tuition?

Let me know all the forms you have & we'll get this stuff knocked out. I presume you don't have all that much income since you're a student.

PM me if you prefer
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator

So you have:

A w-2 from work
A poice report for your casualty/theft loss

....anything else? things like
did your parents claim you as a dependent? no
interest from a savings account or other investments no
do you own a home (mortgage interest, property taxes)no
dividends from stocks you ownno
you're a student - who pays your tuition? g.i. bill

Let me know all the forms you have & we'll get this stuff knocked out. I presume you don't have all that much income since you're a student.

PM me if you prefer
i make around 24k a year
Old 06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

i make around 24k a year
I would really need your w-2 & to know if your parents claimed you as a dependent, but -

- if you're not a dependent:

- 5,300 standard deduction
- 3,300 personal exemption
15,400 Taxable income

The first 7,550 is taxed at 10% = $755
The rest of your 15,400 (15,400-7,550=7,850) is taxed at 15% = $1,178

755+1,178 = $1,933 Total tax you owe for the year.

If box 2 on your w-2 shows 1933 or more, you're good to go. If you get me some exact numbers, I'll figure it up for you. It really really depends on whether your parents claimed you, though.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

the 24,000 was from this year. i think last year i was on unemployment for 5 months while was in school before i lost it. i had a part-time job that i think i made about 6 g's. actually i have 4 w-2 forms so yea that figure is going to change really quick.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

the 24,000 was from this year. i think last year i was on unemployment for 5 months while was in school before i lost it. i had a part-time job that i think i made about 6 g's. actually i have 4 w-2 forms so yea that figure is going to change really quick.
oh, oh...so just save that estimate for the end of this year. the numbers will be a little off, but they give you a good understanding where you are.

So your four w-2s from 2006 total about 6K? Can you tell me if your parents claimed you as a dependent? If not, you should have nothing to worry about - you should get everything back you paid in (add up all your box 2s).

Honestly, you shouldn't get your taxes done. you should do them yourself if this is all there is to it. You don't even need your casualty loss unless it's for 2007.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Senior Moderator

no i was in the navy so since 2002 my parents haven't claimed me.I just found out today that their accountant filed for an extension. and they are going to do it this week.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I'm not going to start a new thread for this

Rev - I am a CA resident but am working in Oregon for the summer. Will I have to pay income tax in CA as well as OR? What do you usually do, if anything, when income is solely out of state?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subinf
I'm not going to start a new thread for this

Rev - I am a CA resident but am working in Oregon for the summer. Will I have to pay income tax in CA as well as OR? What do you usually do, if anything, when income is solely out of state?

that's cool...I've figured for a while that there would eventually an "ask a tax accountant anything" thread like the police one.

I haven't done a ton of CA returns, but here's what I would suggest:

when you do your state return for CA, you'll put your total federal income and the subsequent income numbers in their appropriate blanks (the left side, I believe). Then, in the CA side (the right side), you would put that the CA portion of that income is zero. Make sense?

Left (federal) side = $1,000,000.00 (or whatever your income is )
Right (CA) side = $ 0.00

then, you'll multiply the zero by the CA tax rate and get - wait for it - zero CA tax owed.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forms are mandated by law to be sent by the end of Jan. No real reason to have waited till april to wonder where they were.

Just seemed odd to be suprised to run into problems when you wait till the last minute

Method is to gather all the forms well in advance, do your taxes and if you owe wait till the last minute to file and if you get a refund file ASAP.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95gt
Forms are mandated by law to be sent by the end of Jan. No real reason to have waited till april to wonder where they were.

Just seemed odd to be suprised to run into problems when you wait till the last minute

Method is to gather all the forms well in advance, do your taxes and if you owe wait till the last minute to file and if you get a refund file ASAP.
If you'll recall, Congress waited very late last year to pass a number of laws that changed some reporting standards & subsequently, the forms. It didn't affect everyone, but a good number of people were unable to get their forms when they were used to getting them because Congress also allowed extra time this year to send certain ones out. Not only that, but there are many people out there that work for very small operations that forget to (or just don't feel like) do payroll at the end of the year. Oftentimes those companies won't do anything until the people that work for them start complaining about not having a form. By then, a lot of the companies that actally process payroll are swamped with other things for tax season & it's a while before the forms get printed and sent.

K-1s from 1065s and 1120Ss aren't due until April 15th, and for a large number of taxpayers, those forms are 100% necessary to prepare their taxes.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

hey rev. that punk ass accountant finally did my taxes. im never going to that guy again.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Banned

lemme know when you're ready for next year's. You can send me your stuff for a small fee. I'm going to buy some software for myself & start doing taxes on the side more. Last year, I only did about a half dozen people's outside of my family's & the ones I do for work. This year...I think I'll start building my client base .

Depending on what you have, I may suggest you do them yourself and save your $$.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Banned

oh..btw - did you get your telephone tax credit? it's at least $30 - possibly more. look on pg 2 of your return, near the bottom.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Senior Moderator

oh..btw - did you get your telephone tax credit? it's at least $30 - possibly more. look on pg 2 of your return, near the bottom.
i didn't know about that. that bitch charged me 75 bucks. he shouldn't have charged me anything.