Really New At This - Help Is Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 06:04 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really New At This - Help Is Appreciated

Hi,

I have a 2013 Base ILX that is my daily driver. Just for fun, I want to pep the car up a bit. I'm using it as a learning experience. My order of upgrades is as follows:

1. I want it to handle better
2. I want it to stop better
3. I want it to go faster

To start with handling better, what is the best bang for the buck. I understand a Civic SI sway bar might be the place to start followed by coil overs. Is that correct? What exactly does a sway bar do any way?

To get it to stop better, I thought I'd go drilled, slotted rotors with the best pads I can buy. If that isn't enough I'll change calipers.

To go faster, speed costs money....I'll have to see how fast I can afford to go.

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you can accomplish all three by putting the car on a diet!!!!

the heavier the car, the worse it handles, the worse it stops and the slower it goes.

by moving to a light weight wheel, you can improve handling! you can improve stopping times! you can make it a bit peppier!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by crghill
Hi,

I have a 2013 Base ILX that is my daily driver. Just for fun, I want to pep the car up a bit. I'm using it as a learning experience. My order of upgrades is as follows:

To start with handling better, what is the best bang for the buck. I understand a Civic SI sway bar might be the place to start followed by coil overs. Is that correct? What exactly does a sway bar do any way?

To get it to stop better, I thought I'd go drilled, slotted rotors with the best pads I can buy. If that isn't enough I'll change calipers.

To go faster, speed costs money....I'll have to see how fast I can afford to go.

Thanks!
In addition to Justin's comments, lose the drilled and slotted rotors, they will not improve your braking performance one bit. If you really need better stopping power, you'll need to look into a so-called "Big Brake Kit" for your car (don't even know if they make such a thing, but I suspect they do).
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^even a better tire can help stop the car better via traction.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 PM
5th Gear

What about the sway bar? Seems inexpensive. Would it improve handling?

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
I've followed this thread for a couple of days, and at this point my recommendation of what to do with your car is absolutely nothing. Instead, you would be much better served by doing one of the two things (or budget permitting, both):
  1. Save up your money and buy something which handles better, stops better, and goes faster (this is a far cheaper solution than modifying your car which is already very well sorted).
  2. Take a course on race driving, dirt, oval, road, it matters not; this will teach you the true meaning of the three metrics you say you want. Believe it or not, such lessons will also make your current, unmodified car, handle better, stop better, and go faster.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:24 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
I've followed this thread for a couple of days, and at this point my recommendation of what to do with your car is absolutely nothing. Instead, you would be much better served by doing one of the two things (or budget permitting, both):
  1. Save up your money and buy something which handles better, stops better, and goes faster (this is a far cheaper solution than modifying your car which is already very well sorted).
  2. Take a course on race driving, dirt, oval, road, it matters not; this will teach you the true meaning of the three metrics you say you want. Believe it or not, such lessons will also make your current, unmodified car, handle better, stop better, and go faster.
Thanks for your input. Yes, that's probably what I should do. By the way, you got really close to hitting the nail on the head. I got the bug to handle, stop and go faster after spending a few days with a buddy in California. He used to drive ARCA circuit and he taught me a lot about driving over the past few days. He's got 80K into his BMW but let me tell you, it handles, stops and goes very fast.

I know I should trade cars but I've got this idea to create an ILX sleeper. Hopefully this will work out of my system before I start spending money.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
In addition to Justin's comments, lose the drilled and slotted rotors, they will not improve your braking performance one bit. If you really need better stopping power, you'll need to look into a so-called "Big Brake Kit" for your car (don't even know if they make such a thing, but I suspect they do).
I totally agree... Slotted rotors will help in removal of brake dust from the surface of the rotor and will help only slightly. Cross drilled rotors actually minimize surface area for the brake pad to clamp on, the real purpose is to cool the rotors when the get really hot on extreme braking and that will help braking in those heavy use applications - For everyday use that is not practical. Honestly you are better off on using better tires and perhaps better brake pads.

Don't get me wrong I love the look of large calipers and rotors but that adds unsprung weight to the vehicle and will not help you that much, and will cost a ton.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:19 AM
Instructor

What about the sway bar? Seems inexpensive. Would it improve handling?

Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful.
I have changed the rear sway bar in my vehicle and yes you are correct the cost is minimal and the install is pretty easy. However it really depends on what you are looking for in performance... The sway bar will mainly tighten up the rear causing lest twisting roll in the frame, it will also help the rear wheels track a little better. I have noticed a difference, but to be honest if you want the best bang for your buck I would recommend better tires first.

You mention that you want a sleeper.... Well I have done a couple mods to my car and I am happy, but if you want serious speed you need forced induction (turbo or supercharger). My car is the 2.4 L manual, you have the 2.0L automatic - Most bolt on mods for your vehicle do minimal difference unless you go with serious mods. It all depends on how much you want to spend on the vehicle and what you want to do with the car. Everyday driver with a little more power then fine, do some minor tweaks, but serious increases in HP/Torque will require forced induction.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:53 PM
5th Gear

Regarding tires, I'm running a fresh set of Firehawks. They seem to be a pretty good tire. I know the Michelin Sport Pilots are the top but the Firehawk isn't a bad tire.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Well we can't all laydown the dollar$ for Michelin Sport Pilots, however almost anything is better than the stock all seasons Honda puts on their vehicles.