What should I know before I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 04:50 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I know before I buy it?

So as stated in my introduction, my wife says she loves the ILX and wants to buy one. We plan to do a trade in with her 2008 BMW 528i. Since I do not know anything about Acuras let alone ILXs I figured I post here to get some feedback from current ILX owners.

So I'm all ears; lay it on me. What should I know about the ILX before I buy one? Tranny issues? Engine issues? Recalls? I'm not too too worried about maintenance. I think after working on a BMW an Acura can't be too difficult. Any typical issues I should consider and make my wife aware of? She's going to be the one that drives it the most. She will be commuting about 80 miles per day pretty much all interstate. I welcome all concerns; nothing is too small. Everything from comfortability and ease of usage of electronics to mechanical issues.

Thank you in advance to you all for your responses.
Cheers!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Look through this subforum that you've posted in. It's called Problems and Fixes, you'll see the most common ones and determine how easy of a fix it is.
The following users liked this post:
Antoine LeBlanc (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:38 AM
4th Gear

Seems to be a lot of 2016 ILX issue posts....maybe stay away from the 2016??
Old 05-03-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Antoine LeBlanc
Seems to be a lot of 2016 ILX issue posts....maybe stay away from the 2016??
isnt that a BIG BLANKET STATEMENT?
read the topics and then determine if they are easy fixes or troubles that your wife would put up with.
also, TEST drive the vehicles....
Old 05-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I have a 2016 (which is same as 2017) and issues I've had:
  • Brake squeal which is easily fixed by dealer under warranty with a known TSB.
  • Airbag warning label peeled off the passenger sun visor. Dealer ordered new visor.
Some people say they have issues with the DCT shifting roughly. But I haven't had those issues. My 2016 is later in the model year, so I don't know.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 172 Posts
The front overhang makes steep driveways a bit of a hazard and the torque converted, computer controlled "automatic" manual transmission takes a little getting used to. I've seen 40+ MPG on the highway with my 2016 so it's cheaper to keep her. The light weight makes driving on ice and deep snow challenging without correct tires. People flash their highs because of the 3 bulb low beam and SUV's seem to plant their nose firmly in your butt. The ride is firm and tight, although a little loud. If you are looking for a luxury ride, this isn't it, if you're looking for a comfortable sporty young family car (smallish back seat), this is it.

The following users liked this post:
aomechmarine (05-15-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DaIll1
The front overhang makes steep driveways a bit of a hazard and the torque converted, computer controlled "automatic" manual transmission takes a little getting used to. I've seen 40+ MPG on the highway with my 2016 so it's cheaper to keep her. The light weight makes driving on ice and deep snow challenging without correct tires. People flash their highs because of the 3 bulb low beam and SUV's seem to plant their nose firmly in your butt. The ride is firm and tight, although a little loud. If you are looking for a luxury ride, this isn't it, if you're looking for a comfortable sporty young family car (smallish back seat), this is it.

Well said. This car is more for folks who want that sport sedan at affordable price. Get the new TLX if you want more of the quiet luxury. I test drive a V6 TLX 2017 and it was an awesome car and very quiet. Even more quiet than my 2013 BMW 335i M sport and my friends 2012 BMW X5. This tlx has little to do minimal road noise that the engine sound puts a smile on your face. I'm waiting for the 2018 tlx and gonna give my wife this ilx after she gets rid of her older 2009 civic EX.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waste of money

dont waste your money on an ILX I also wanted this car and got rid of an Acura that was great but older only to buy a new piece of junk. the DCT transmission is horrible no power jerks and jolts through the gears make s slamming noise in reverse. you can read all my post. I tried to get the dealer to buy back and the would not. my car has been at the dealer numerous times and nothing gets resolved. i am just buying time now and when the warranty runs out the car gets traded and I know I will lose a crap ton on money on it. they have a problem with this car and will mot admit it. buy something else.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by loved my old acura
dont waste your money on an ILX I also wanted this car and got rid of an Acura that was great but older only to buy a new piece of junk. the DCT transmission is horrible no power jerks and jolts through the gears make s slamming noise in reverse. you can read all my post. I tried to get the dealer to buy back and the would not. my car has been at the dealer numerous times and nothing gets resolved. i am just buying time now and when the warranty runs out the car gets traded and I know I will lose a crap ton on money on it. they have a problem with this car and will mot admit it. buy something else.
The DCT is actually the thing I love most about this car. The car's 201hp is sufficient and reasonably quick when you step on it. Engine does get frantic and loud when you step on it. I would compare it to a Civic Si but more mature. I'm not really sure I would want this car if it were my only car. Might be a little too "sporty" for DD. I have an 06 RL that is more like an executive cruiser (that is also pretty quick) and it's definitely more relaxing to drive that car.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

Hope it's okay that I've revived this thread.

I'm looking into getting a 2013 ILX - it's a 2.4L 6speed manual. The dealer claims it's the Premium package, but I thought only the Dynamic came with the 2.4L and manual tranny...something I will confirm.

My question is: does the 2.4L engine in the 2013 ILX experience the same excessive oil consumption that some other Honda 2.4's experience (e.g. TSX, Accord, Civic Si)?

Other than this, the ILX seems to be solid overall.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by unlisted

I'm looking into getting a 2013 ILX - it's a 2.4L 6speed manual. The dealer claims it's the Premium package, but I thought only the Dynamic came with the 2.4L and manual tranny...something I will confirm.

My question is: does the 2.4L engine in the 2013 ILX experience the same excessive oil consumption that some other Honda 2.4's experience (e.g. TSX, Accord, Civic Si)?

I have a 2013 2.4 L Dynamic and there has been zero oil consumption issues! I really love the car, the only thing I wish is that I found a 2015 model year instead (GPS w bigger display and better stereo). There is lots of mods for the car if you like to work on it (basically a CIVIC SI engine), and if you don't the manual transmission is one of the best I have driven. The only real complaint others have with the vehicle is that it doesn't have the best noise insulation, but then again this is a small sporty dressed up Civic not a Mercedes.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you haven't experienced any oil issues! The ILX seems like a great car - I had one as a loaner (2.0 with automatic) for a couple of days and it was a lot of fun to drive. I bet the 2.4 with manual must be amazing. Noise is not a huge deal for me - nothing can have less insulation than the Accent I drive now.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:06 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile 2016 Acura ILX

My 2016 ILX is a great car other than dealing with the dct transmission issue, Once that was fixed i haven't had any other issue's with the car.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

My only issue on my 2016 ILX is an occasional glovebox "creaking" while driving. Dealer improved it by using tape, but it's still there to a lesser degree.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unlisted

i have an 2013 acura ilx 2.4 l dynamic manual 6-speed transmission. couldn't be happier with this car, no oil consumption and no top ups between oil changes. bought it used and so far drove around 14,000 kms. tranny and the clutch are perfectly synchronized, the K24Z7 four cylinder engine is powerful enough for a spirited drive. no issues with the car so far, experiencing a slight vibration when braking, feeling it needs new brake pads.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:50 AM
9th Gear

The 2.0L R20 engine seems a little underpowered and underwhelming at times...especially when you want to pass someone on the highway or you are going uphill...can't speak for the 2.4L K24. I'm sure that engine is fine as are most K24 engines.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Intermediate

yes the k24z7 engine is a dependable piece of mechanical wizardry...nothing to worry about, keep changing oil at 10%