Rattling noise on brand new ILX

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 02:26 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattling noise on brand new ILX

I've had my 19 ILX Tech ASpec for two months now with just 1400 miles on the odometer and I've noticed a rattling that's getting progressively worse. I've noticed it shortly after purchase but it only started after well into my drive and it's very subtle and only triggered by going over rough or uneven surfaces. Atleast 30 minutes or more of driving will start to produce the rattle. It doesn't make a peep when driving over these same surfaces before the car is fully warmed up. I was certain it was coming from the dashboard, possibly from under the dash or behind the gauge cluster. It appears to be a metallic sound that has a small resonation to it. It does not sound like your typical plastic clip rattle. Now the reason i'm not certain it's coming from behind the dash is because i swear I can slightly feel it in the floor board but i'm not sure if i'm just imagining this. When i hear the noise it most definitely sounds like its coming from somewhere under the dash or behind the cluster. It still only starts 30 more or more into my drive but it's so bad now that when i pull into my neighborhood after a long drive I can hear it loudly and consistently down my entire road (which can be alittle bumpy and uneven).

So with that being said has anyone experienced something like this before? Do you know what might be causing it? I know the dealer is going to brush me off since they will never hear it on a test drive unless the car is warmed up and even then you really have to hit a specific type of road for it to go off repeatedly.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
Take it to them just so its documented and on record. In case this issue gets worse, you have something to go back to.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
This type of thing might take some time to figure out. You have to remember this is not a high end car the dashboard materials are nothing special. It's mostly just plastic. I have a rattle in the silver trim on the passenger side. It's the painted plastic trim that goes horizontally above the glovebox. The dealer fixed that by taking the trim off and applying rubberized tape all over. That fixed that problem. Then the next rattle is happening in the glovebox. Took me a while to figure it out but it's the hinge "lever" you can see on the right side of the glovebox when it's open. If you wiggle it, it makes the exact same "creaking" sound that I get when driving. Apparently it goes away once it warms up. But until then, it's really annoying. I'm hyper sensitive to rattles. So I finally found the source and I stuff some paper napkins on it and forced the glovebox closed. Rattle gone! So at least I know where it's coming from. Next question is, how do I make the noise stop? Maybe I'll try to find some foam to wrap around the hinge. But for now, the paper napkins is causing the hinge to be immobilized which means no noise!

My dealer is happy to troubleshoot rattles, but you have to help them out. The tech is happy to ride with me and I can demonstrate the noise. As long as you can reliably reproduce the rattle, they can probably track it down. But it might take a few visits to figure out. As long as you're under warranty, they are happy to take the time as they simply charge the time to Acura.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MyILX83
I've had my 19 ILX Tech ASpec for two months now with just 1400 miles on the odometer and I've noticed a rattling that's getting progressively worse. I've noticed it shortly after purchase but it only started after well into my drive and it's very subtle and only triggered by going over rough or uneven surfaces. Atleast 30 minutes or more of driving will start to produce the rattle. It doesn't make a peep when driving over these same surfaces before the car is fully warmed up. I was certain it was coming from the dashboard, possibly from under the dash or behind the gauge cluster. It appears to be a metallic sound that has a small resonation to it. It does not sound like your typical plastic clip rattle. Now the reason i'm not certain it's coming from behind the dash is because i swear I can slightly feel it in the floor board but i'm not sure if i'm just imagining this. When i hear the noise it most definitely sounds like its coming from somewhere under the dash or behind the cluster. It still only starts 30 more or more into my drive but it's so bad now that when i pull into my neighborhood after a long drive I can hear it loudly and consistently down my entire road (which can be alittle bumpy and uneven).

So with that being said has anyone experienced something like this before? Do you know what might be causing it? I know the dealer is going to brush me off since they will never hear it on a test drive unless the car is warmed up and even then you really have to hit a specific type of road for it to go off repeatedly.
Yes, just got my 19 ilx and my dash rattles on rough roads...smooth roads no issue...what was your outcome.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:52 AM
2nd Gear

What was found...I have the same problem
Old 07-25-2019, 10:13 AM
10th Gear

My radio console started rattling around 10k miles after the first oil change. Pretty consistent rattle I believe I can fix by pulling the radio out and putting some soft rubber between the plastics(hopefully). Anyone else have the dealer fix the console rattle? When you push on the radio edges with enough pressure the rattle stops.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
If you can reliably reproduce the rattle, and demonstrate where you push to make the rattling stop, bring it to the dealer and have a tech ride with you so he can see firsthand. They have some idea of what's behind the trims and what might be rubbing. My ILX had a rattle in the passenger side of the dash, somewhere in the glovebox area. It was a continuous creaking sound that that would go away when the car was fully warmed up. Took 3 trips to the dealer. Each time the would take off a piece of trim and apply felt tape. I finally helped to pinpoint the noise to the glovebox's damper lever, which is on the right side of the glovebox, and can only be seen when the glovebox is open. If you gently wiggled it, it would make the same creaking sound. They ordered a replacement part and the creaking is now totally gone. I think the real test will be when winter comes, as it used to be worse during cold weather. But this type of fix is a lot of trial and error, so just be patient, and as long as you have warranty, keep at it. They are happy to keep troubleshooting as Acura is paying for it all.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 207 Likes on 174 Posts
I get a really annoying rattle that took me a while to find. The cup holder grippers. Probably should have a little more preload so they don't move when not holding a cup.
The following users liked this post:
schen72 (09-16-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaIll1
I get a really annoying rattle that took me a while to find. The cup holder grippers. Probably should have a little more preload so they don't move when not holding a cup.
Same issue
Old 09-13-2019, 11:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyILX83

Dang, my 2016 does the same thing. Sounds like a random creak, creak, squeak, rubbing sound behind the gauge cluster in the dashboard. What's more annoying is the car does it sometimes and other times not.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:48 AM
8th Gear

@TurboRon I feel like i am experiencing the same noise. I took it to the dealer today and they said that its normal with the 2019 and have seen it before.

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=IMG_0742.mov I took a video of it. Let me know if its the same noise and if you found a solution.

-Andrey
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 AM
4th Gear

I've had my 2019 A-Spec 7 months - I think I know what you're taking about - it's like a "fluttering" type of Rattle - and what I've found out thru experimentation is that it comes from the A/C Vent Flaps in the Ventillation System Ducts "mixing" warm and cold air - happens erratically after Warmup and more so when accelerating from a stop - I've tried different Vent Settings and what I just tried was - instead of setting for air to come out the Dash Vents, if you set it for Dash+Floor - and use the Manual Fan Speed Setting - it stops - try it and see - worked for me

Other issue - just had my Autodimming RV Mirror replaced as original Unit was defective - now after 3 hrs 2nd time to have it replaced - I do NOT see much DIMMING at all with headlights from behind in the dark. What is this thing supposed to DO?? Looks like it does some kind of electrochemical slight "purple" tint is all - not effective in my opinion - I asked them just to replace with a MANUAL Mirror and they said can'd do that because System will throw a Code if it show no Connection with Autodim Mirror???
Old 10-01-2019, 09:38 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by captlwr
I've had my 2019 A-Spec 7 months - I think I know what you're taking about - it's like a "fluttering" type of Rattle - and what I've found out thru experimentation is that it comes from the A/C Vent Flaps in the Ventillation System Ducts "mixing" warm and cold air - happens erratically after Warmup and more so when accelerating from a stop - I've tried different Vent Settings and what I just tried was - instead of setting for air to come out the Dash Vents, if you set it for Dash+Floor - and use the Manual Fan Speed Setting - it stops - try it and see - worked for me

Other issue - just had my Autodimming RV Mirror replaced as original Unit was defective - now after 3 hrs 2nd time to have it replaced - I do NOT see much DIMMING at all with headlights from behind in the dark. What is this thing supposed to DO?? Looks like it does some kind of electrochemical slight "purple" tint is all - not effective in my opinion - I asked them just to replace with a MANUAL Mirror and they said can'd do that because System will throw a Code if it show no Connection with Autodim Mirror???
I don’t have the a spec just premium package but my mirror so far has been fine with the autodimming to me it’s like a bluish tiny and it helps me at night.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:40 AM
4th Gear

This is my current A-Spec parked next to a Lambo Hurican Performante Spyder at a Local Club - 1 Performante price = about 11 ILX A-Specs............but...same color!!
Old 10-01-2019, 10:09 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by captlwr
This is my current A-Spec parked next to a Lambo Hurican Performante Spyder at a Local Club - 1 Performante price = about 11 ILX A-Specs............but...same color!!
Nice dude mine is the same color