Installed New Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Installed New Springs

Hey guys, need some service advice from the more knowledgeable folks.

I just put on Eibach Pro's for my 2015 ILX and when I start the car every morning, from a stand still to low speeds (0-15km/h), when turning my wheel it makes a click, pop, clunky noise. Not sure what's causing the issue, any pointers you can give to help resolve this?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Three things I would look at...

1. Are the springs seated properly?

^unproperly seated spring. The spring above should be twisted Clockwise about an inch so the end of the spring is resting against the wall of the rubber cup.

2. Is the CV boot bunched up?

^bunched up CV boot. Both CV boots should look near identical. Clearly here the boot on the right is bunched up. The metal ring with the end of the boot needs to slide about an inch and a half toward the left boot until it reaches that indent.

3. Do the coil on the spring touch each other while wheel is turned?

If both above issues are not present then it could just be the coils rubbing each other. Different springs are designed differently. To my knowledge there are coils in a spring called "dead coils" which are closer together and can rub when the spring in compressed.

Here is an example of a Lexus owner wrapping the deadcoils to prevent noise from them rubbing...

I know dmitry had this issue with his H&R springs and he couldnt stand it. My H&Rs make a very slight sound when mu wheels is completely turned but that is all. I live with that as my wheel is hardly ever completely turned. Check the first two notes I made. If its neither of those I personally wouldnt be too worried and expect the noise to lessen as the springs get worn.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Hi Jon,

I did ensure both springs are properly seated into the strut as pictured in suggestion 1. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way when removing the struts by not placing a jack under the hub and the CV boot/axle whatever it's called popped out of that jammed up boot you pictured. I had a hell of a time putting them back in place for both right and left axle. I think I wasted a good 3 hours :S

The Eibachs come with front and rear silencers for the springs already so I'm not too worried about them but i'll go over each coil and check for wear marks. My concern is I forgot the replace the OEM front bump stops with the ones eibach provided. I'll most likely have to rent a spring compressor again and do a complete rebuild for the fronts in the coming weeks >_<!

*le sigh*
Old 04-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Does it make the click/popping sound while driving slow and completely straight?

When I first lowered mine we didnt get the driverside axle in properly because mine popped out like yours did. When I tried driving it was clicking and making noise just driving 5mph in a straight line.

We lifted the car back up and found out the axle wasnt in properly still. Lowered it again and it was fine. If I turn my wheel completely left or right while stopped I will hear a slight sound still and I assume this is normal. Good luck. Hopefully Mike will have some words that help!
Old 04-23-2015, 04:42 PM
Instructor

Yea Jon, when I started the car to go to work this morning, it made the noises for the first 1-3' while driving straight. Then it went away until I turned the corner. After the first 2 corners the sound is gone mostly. I get to work fine and don't hear much the entire trip. When I finish work and start the car again, the noise only happens at the initial drive after hard parking. After it seems to "settle in" the noises stop for a bit and only happens when I turn the wheel periodically.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmmmm. Well that doesnt sound to me like you have the same issue I did where the axle was still not seated. My noise was frightening and I wasnt even willing to reach 3rd gear before I turned the car around.

My thought would turn toward the CV boot still but I can't be sure.

Did you do the install yourself? If not take it back to whoever did it. If you did it yourself I may still opt to just take it in and see if a shop can figure it out.

Sorry I cant be of more help. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Instructor

I'm taking my car to a shop after work to get my springs looked at. Guess I'm not much of a DIY'er haha. Hopefully they spot something I did obviously wrong and get this noise issue sorted out!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Can someone tell me what the OEM alignment specs are? Thanks!!