What to change on the ILX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012 | 11:05 AM
Racer

What to change on the ILX?

It might be early to start thinking about it or not, but besides the popular powertrain and pricing complains, what would you like to see changed on the ILX to improve its appeal.

I have not spent enough time inside the car to judge the interior but I am happy with the exterior styling. I would like to see less amber on the headlights, LED taillights and please, please, put some chrome exhaust tips on the rear bumper. (Save the hidden option for the Hybrid).
Old 07-20-2012 | 09:43 PM
Cruisin'

I agree, it needs LED tail lights and a visible exhaust tip. Even Kia's have LEDS on their cars. Some things I can think of to make it more appealing:

Power seats for passenger
Tech pkg option for 2.4 manuals
White LED design for the daytime running lights like on most luxury cars
Blind spot monitor on tech pkg
Old 07-21-2012 | 01:11 PM
Pro

Color options. Same 'ol same 'ol Acura color combos
Old 07-21-2012 | 08:23 PM
David_Dude

Um... bi-xenons like the 3G TL? Actually acura should include those across the lineup. From what I know at the moment currently the TL, MDX, TSX, ILX, RDX all have low-beam xenons. Not sure if the RL has bi-xenons or not.
Old 07-21-2012 | 10:24 PM
Cruisin'

We test drove an ILX Hybrid Tech, Prius V, and Camry Hybrid today (drove an ILX Tech last week). Here are our findings:

ILX Likes:
1. Styling
2. Options
3. Control layouts and functions
4. Sound system quality
5. Navigation System operation
6. Better steering and road feel
7. Loaner cars
8. Acura service (have owned 4 previous Acuras)

ILX Dislikes:
1. Mileage (ILX non-hybrid) plus requiring Premium fuel
2. Lack of smooth transition from gas to gas/electric (hybrid) on acceleration or deceleration - noticeable jerking as electric motor switched on/off
3. Navigation system lockout of function while vehicle is in motion (currently have a Lexus HS250h that locks out similar functions and make the nav unit virtually useless while the car is in motion when changes are needed due to lousy voice command reliability). Acura voice commands seem more reliable but still not anywhere near accurate enough to substitute for direct input. Not allowing passenger to directly input to nav unit while vehicle is in motion is inexcusable.
4. Hybrid Price compared to competition - even though the ILX is a more upscale vehicle than the Camry hybrid the much higher price just isn't justified (> $7K more comparably equipped).
5. Noisier ride than the Camry and maybe even noisier than the Prius V (couldn't tell for sure since we drove them on different roads).
6. Hybrid requiring premium fuel (or getting 10-15% lower mileage on regular) - this is assume the two local Acura dealers are telling us correctly. Hard to image any car designer thinks a hybrid using premium fuel is a good idea (the Prius and Camry use regular).
7. Lack of memory seats (neither the Prius nor Camry has memory seats)
8. No pass-through in rear seat (Prius seats fold down, Camry has a rear seat pass-through).

Since we typically keep our cars for 10 years and as much as we'd like to stay with Acura the Camry hybrid is a much better long term solution when price is considered. At the present time we'd pick the Camry 1st, the Prius V 2nd, the Lexus CT200h 3rd and the ILX hybrid 4th. If the ILX Hybrid was $5K less it might end up in first place or second place.
Old 07-21-2012 | 10:41 PM
Cruisin'

Stupid forum wouldn't let me finish the editing of my post so here is the updated version.

We test drove an ILX Hybrid Tech, Prius V, and Camry Hybrid today (drove an ILX Tech last week). Here are our findings:

ILX Likes:
1. Styling
2. Options
3. Control layouts and functions
4. Sound system quality
5. Navigation System operation
6. Better steering and road feel
7. Loaner cars
8. Acura service (have owned 4 previous Acuras)

ILX Dislikes:
2. Lack of smooth transition from gas to gas/electric (hybrid) on acceleration or deceleration - noticeable jerking as electric motor switched on/off
3. Navigation system lockout of function while vehicle is in motion (currently have a Lexus HS250h that locks out similar functions and make the nav unit virtually useless while the car is in motion when changes are needed due to lousy voice command reliability). Acura voice commands seem more reliable but still not anywhere near accurate enough to substitute for direct input. Not allowing passenger to directly input to nav unit while vehicle is in motion is inexcusable.
4. Hybrid Price compared to competition - even though the ILX is a more upscale vehicle than the Camry hybrid the much higher price just isn't justified (> $7K more comparably equipped).
5. Noisier ride than the Camry and maybe even noisier than the Prius V (couldn't tell for sure since we drove them on different roads).
6. Hybrid requiring premium fuel (or getting 10-15% lower mileage on regular) - this is assume the two local Acura dealers are telling us correctly. Hard to image any car designer thinks a hybrid using premium fuel is a good idea (the Prius and Camry use regular).
7. Lack of memory seats (neither the Prius nor Camry has memory seats)
8. No pass-through in rear seat (Prius seats fold down, Camry has a rear seat pass-through).
9. On the hybrid the A/C was barely useful while sitting at red lights (Dallas, summertime, 95+ degrees). Switching to non-econ mode helped but reduced the gas mileage by 15-20%. As a comparison our Lexus HS250h does not change the A/C when the car is stopped and only reduced the mileage by <10%.

Since we typically keep our cars for 10 years and as much as we'd like to stay with Acura the Camry hybrid is a much better long term solution when price is considered. At the present time we'd pick the Camry 1st, the Prius V 2nd, the Lexus CT200h 3rd and the ILX hybrid 4th. If the ILX Hybrid was $5K less it might end up in first place or second place.

So, what would we change?

1. Use regular fuel
2. Lower the price to be more competitive
3. Rework the gas/electric conversion to make the transition smooth enough to not be noticeable.
4. Rework the suspension, change tires, add the active noise cancellation system to the hybrid
5. Add an option to run the power train in a better econ mode that is more in line with what the Honda Civic can achieve with the same drive train. This would allow the drive a number of choices between pure econ and pure performance. Would open up a lot more markets.
6. Remove the navigation system function locks outs while the car is in motion and/or make the nav system a totally independent option with no other features bundled in. This would allow customers to not choose the nav system without giving up other options. With the shift to portable nav systems, then to phone based nav systems, in-car nav systems will probably disappear in a few years. Decoupling them from other options, dramatically lowering the price and not charging for updates is the only way for manufactures to keep selling them.
7. Add a rear seat pass-through in the hybrid like in the Camry hybrid.
8. Run the A/C compressor by only an electric motor.
Old 07-22-2012 | 01:47 AM
Pro

Hard to argue against the Camry xle hybrid when compared to the ILX hybrid tech. Great value for the money. Just sayin'
Old 07-22-2012 | 02:34 AM
Summer is Coming

You should be able to use regular fuel. You just may get a little less mileage.

I think this car is more for someone looking for 'luxury' first and fuel econ second. The Prius V is for someone looking for FE first. The CT200H, I'm not quite sure who this is supposed to appeal to. The Camry Hybrid appeals as a family car with high FE. I don't see the ILX as a family car even with 4 doors.

But I think this is a starting point for Acura. I suspect there will be a hybrid version of the TLX. The Camry Hybrid, price wise, is a pretty good deal.
Old 07-22-2012 | 12:12 PM
Racer

One of the problems for the ILX is that there is so many choices in its price range that many find it hard to justify its pricing. Hopefully the addition of the ED powertrain will make it a more distintive and competitve choice.
Old 07-22-2012 | 03:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rickpoole

ILX Dislikes:
5. Noisier ride than the Camry and maybe even noisier than the Prius V (couldn't tell for sure since we drove them on different roads)
I'm short on time but wanted to comment a few things.
1)The ILX can use regular.
2) There is no transition because the IMA is always coupled to the engine. I think you're feeling something else. The system can run out of battery juice on long pulls, but there is no way to 'transition' so anything you're feeling cannot be that.
4) I tried to look at the Camry Hybrid XLE Navi and came up with a $30,005 price without leather. I could not get the configuator to select the $3000+ leather package. I don't see the $7K difference unless I'm missing something (like you're in Canada or something)
5) I think that the "Better steering and road feel" that you listed as a "like" may be related to the "Noisier ride" since stiffer bushings etc that contribute to the former, usually cause more of the later.
Old 07-22-2012 | 11:30 PM
Cruisin'

I talked to the service guys after the test drive, they were the ones who described the jerking as the car transitioning the IMA on/off. During the test drive I compared the jerking to the IMA boost/charge gauge and correlated 100% of the time to the IMA switching between boost and charge.

The local Toyota dealer we talked to looked at the specs we provided on the ILX hybrid and equipped the TCH the same and came up with about $28.8 vs the $35.5 for the ILX hybrid.

I talked to another person who test drove the ILX hybrid from another dealer and asked about using regular. He was told it was fine but to expect 3-5 MPG less on regular. Based on my experience with my 2007 TL when I tried regular for two tanks to see how it reacted this seems right in line.
Old 07-23-2012 | 12:52 PM
Instructor

My thoughts on the 'Performance' version, don't care about the other 2 trims. If you're going to label something as your 'Performance' version, then don't half-ass things and actually treat it as such. Someone already said it, but it can't be said enough:

1. DUAL, VISIBLE EXHAUST TIPS
2. OFFER NAV
3. Different suspension tuning
4. Different exterior styling to let people know there's something a little more special about this one
Old 07-24-2012 | 08:15 AM
Racer

1. Acura needs to dump their "signature" buck tooth grill front end styling.

2. Needs rear a/c vents.

3. Needs HID

4. 2.0 Engine needs more Oomph.. 150 horses is redunkolous

Last edited by nothome17; 07-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2012 | 09:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by nothome17

2. Needs rear a/c vents.

3. Needs HID

4. 2.0 Engine needs more Oomph.. 150 horses is redunkolous
1- Not gonna happen.

2- Perhaps

3- You mean as standard, already in Tech Package

4-Yep
The following users liked this post:
nothome17 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-25-2012 | 09:35 AM
Racer

LSD on the 2.4 6MT. The Civic SI has it, why not the ILX
Old 07-25-2012 | 03:03 PM
Racer

Since the 2.4 engine can fit in it. Might as well swap out the 2.0 and use the Accords engine and call it a day. Instant 23HP increase and still fuel effecient. Also more OOmph than the Ford Focus.

Last edited by nothome17; 07-25-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2012 | 03:33 PM
Racer

1. Lumbar support

2. Side mirror turn signals
Old 07-25-2012 | 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Since the 2.4 engine can fit in it. Might as well swap out the 2.0 and use the Accords engine and call it a day. Instant 23HP increase and still fuel effecient. Also more OOmph than the Ford Focus.
This I totally agree with. There is room for a ILX-S or some such in the lineup. Unfortunately, we'll likely have to wait for the MMC in 2-3 years to see it.
Old 07-26-2012 | 12:36 AM
Summer is Coming

This has essentially already been done but people like to harp on the overly aggressive 'can opener' grill of a few years ago. I don't see anything wrong with the current grill and in fact it is less obnoxious than other's out there.
spdandpwr (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012 | 09:48 PM
Drifting

I agree...i think lexus's new styling is too aggressive for the brand..that's a styling cue that should be demerited.
Old 08-07-2012 | 04:56 PM
Racer

Two months ago Lexus was too bland, today it's too aggressive. The 09 TL was too bold, now it's too tamed.

What gives?
Old 08-07-2012 | 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dominik331
What gives?
The internet just likes to complain? Nah....
spdandpwr (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012 | 05:38 PM
Drifting

haha, I never said it was too bland...for the brand, i thought the designs were pretty good. To be honest, the only company that pulls off the corporate grills / standardized look well is audi, bmw, and merc...everyone else is better off not trying to copy that method as I think it creates little distinction from a brand standpoint between models. I personally think the rx350 should be a different brand / have a different feel than an IS...hence a distinguished design.
Old 08-08-2012 | 06:11 AM
Advanced

Tech package should get at least a Blind Spot Monitor and a one or two extra goodies. Compare it to the Premium package and the Tech seems like they didn't care.

Front white LEDs, even if it's only in the top trim for each engine. Every other luxury manufacturer does this.

Power passenger seat. Was surprised it didn't have it.

Turn signals in side mirrors.

A way to turn off the computer voice when changing songs while driving. I don't get why the computer has to repeat the name 2-3 times before I can enjoy the song.

More HP/TQ to the 2.0L engine.
Old 08-08-2012 | 08:47 AM
Drifting

what's the big deal with front led lights...they look hideous on some of the cars :cough: lexus is :cough: that they put them on
Old 08-08-2012 | 11:21 AM
Advanced

If done right, I find front LEDs can add a nice exterior touch and differentiates the car from the rest on the road. Don't know about the Lexus IS as I don't see too many around here, but I do find on the Volkswagen GTI and Tiguan, the circular LED shape looks as if they added it just to say the car has LEDs.
Old 08-08-2012 | 11:41 AM
Drifting

see how it doesn't seem to add much to the car...this isn't the official pic, it's aftermarket, but the current model looks exactly the same.
Old 08-15-2012 | 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

-I'd love to see a new ED engine for the 6MT car. Something close to the AP2 S2000 engine. 2.2 Liters, 8000 RPM, 220-240 hp.

-Add the CR-Z gas engine + the current 23 HP Li-On battery for ~150 hp hybrid.

-Give the base car a 170 hp ED + CVT.

IMO, all the pieces are already in place, it's a solid little car already, it just needs a little more to set it apart.
Old 08-16-2012 | 01:53 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Originally Posted by dominik331
Two months ago Lexus was too bland, today it's too aggressive. The 09 TL was too bold, now it's too tamed.

What gives?
Can't please everyone. There will always be naysayers, and they tend to be the most vocal (esp Cartalk regulars).
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by rickpoole
Is this the case with navs in all new Acura models, or just the nav in the ILX?

I had a 2009 IS 250 AWD for a whole 4,000 miles, and one of the major qualms I had was that the nav was locked out when the car was in motion. STUPID "so-called safety feature" and absolutely renders the nav useless. And the Lexus POS bluetooth/voice command feature couldn't recognize my voice at all.

Waste of $$ to get nav and a poor choice IMHO on Acura's part if Acura is following this nav block-out trend, and IMHO a deal breaker in the future.

One of the things I like in my TL (along with my sorely missed 05 TSX) is I or my wife can use the nav while I'm driving. Integrated nav is a nice feature to have, and safer to use than a smartphone since it's eye level; I'm willing to pay for it, provided it works at all times.
Old 08-16-2012 | 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by docboy

I had a 2009 IS 250 AWD for a whole 4,000 miles, and one of the major qualms I had was that the nav was locked out when the car was in motion. STUPID "so-called safety feature" and absolutely renders the nav useless. And the Lexus POS bluetooth/voice command feature couldn't recognize my voice at all.

Waste of $$ to get nav and a poor choice IMHO on Acura's part if Acura is following this nav block-out trend, and IMHO a deal breaker in the future.

One of the things I like in my TL (along with my sorely missed 05 TSX) is I or my wife can use the nav while I'm driving. Integrated nav is a nice feature to have, and safer to use than a smartphone since it's eye level; I'm willing to pay for it, provided it works at all times.
Yes, 2013s are starting to lock out certain functions. I'm sure there is a list somewhere of what works and what doesn't but I haven't committed it to memory yet. I can only wonder if they sense some 'legislation' on the horizon and are being proactive?
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

I wanted to follow up with you. It seems as if the primary features locked out while driving our street level inputs (I.e. typing in a street name not in the address book). You can still use the interface dial to select restaurants, banking, and other category items. You can also use voice input for the same things.
Old 08-17-2012 | 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Colin
Yes, 2013s are starting to lock out certain functions. I'm sure there is a list somewhere of what works and what doesn't but I haven't committed it to memory yet. I can only wonder if they sense some 'legislation' on the horizon and are being proactive?
So the navigation units on ALL 2013 Acura models are starting to lock out certain functions?

I wanted to follow up with you. It seems as if the primary features locked out while driving our street level inputs (I.e. typing in a street name not in the address book). You can still use the interface dial to select restaurants, banking, and other category items. You can also use voice input for the same things.
Collin, thanks for checking. Typing in the street name is a biggie for me. Acura's voice recognition is not where it should be IMHO in terms of speed and response rate.

Wow, so if all 2013 Acura navs are locking out certain functions, then there may not be an Acura for me in the future (at least not 2013+ MYs). A functional built in nav is a must for me. Probably the perfect excuse for me to go for the 911...
Old 08-17-2012 | 04:21 AM
Suzuka Master

So the navigation units on ALL 2013 Acura models are starting to lock out certain functions?
Well, I guess you can say 'both' 2013s so far. We haven't received any others yet. However, I'd guess that carryover cars like TL and MDX will continue as is till they're all-new in 2014.
Collin, thanks for checking. Typing in the street name is a biggie for me. Acura's voice recognition is not where it should be IMHO in terms of speed and response rate.
Really? I guess Navi isn't as much of a priority here on an island. Nobody likes to see features taken away, but not being able to hack out a street name with the dial when driving doesn't sound that bad to me (I hate spinning to find letters). I suppose as with all things, your mileage will vary.

Edit: I would add that the changes to the system are supposed to improve voice recognition since there are fewer 'choices' for it to try to decipher.
Old 08-17-2012 | 04:04 PM

Well, I guess you can say 'both' 2013s so far. We haven't received any others yet. However, I'd guess that carryover cars like TL and MDX will continue as is till they're all-new in 2014.
Really? I guess Navi isn't as much of a priority here on an island. Nobody likes to see features taken away, but not being able to hack out a street name with the dial when driving doesn't sound that bad to me (I hate spinning to find letters). I suppose as with all things, your mileage will vary.

Edit: I would add that the changes to the system are supposed to improve voice recognition since there are fewer 'choices' for it to try to decipher.
True, mileage does vary. I drive to a lot to many places I've never been before, though my lack of directional sense doesn't help either.

Acura's dial-for-nav is not the most convenient I admit, but still a biggie of mine to able to punch in an address when the car is moving. IMHO the touchscreen unit I had with my 05 TSX was best, quick and efficient, something I wished Acura would have kept with their newer models.

I'll have to sample the voice feature as the years goes along. If the voice recognition can have the quickness/efficiency/intuition a la "Star Trek's computer" then I would be okay without being to punch/dial addresses on the fly.
Old 08-18-2012 | 01:28 AM
Racer

I got a txt from a friend today who saw the ILX on the street for the first time and liked it a lot but thought the taillight looked "cheap". That they weren't up to Acura standards.

And to be honest I always thought that the interior design and the color of the taillights were too simple. Something to consider on the MMC refresh.
Old 08-18-2012 | 06:34 PM
Drifting

make it look like this:

Old 08-18-2012 | 06:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by spdandpwr
make it look like this:

Sweet wheels. What are they?
Old 08-18-2012 | 07:28 PM
Drifting

^gimme a second, ill find out for you
Old 08-18-2012 | 07:57 PM