Thoughts on my new ILX Tech... iPhone 5 / iOS 6 issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thoughts on my new ILX Tech... iPhone 5 / iOS 6 issues

I love my new ILX Tech.

For the naysayers, I would say you have to see it in person, and drive one to appreciate it. The pictures do not do it justice. Prior to this vehicle, I've owned a few BMW 3 Series cars (2001, 2006, 2009). This ILX has more technical features and in my opinion luxury than the 3 Series. Honestly, I'm sold on Acura and I don't think I'll buy another brand in the future.

While the car doesn't have as much power as the BMW, I truthfully don't find myself using that type of power on my day-to-day commute. The paddle-shifters and sport mode give me what I need to pass and use on ramps.

The ride is also considerably smoother than my previous BMW 3 Series with sport package. I suppose it has to do with the more sport-tuned suspension on the BMW. Additionally, road noise is much improved over the 3 Series.

On to the only issues that I have so far, which are centered on the Navigation System computer and it's integration with the iPhone 5.

I think I've seen the majority of these posted within the other model specific forums, but I don't think I've seen as much detail.

Here are the problems/features lost when using iPhone 5 on the ILX (and possibly other models such as the TSX with the ELS system):
  • Handsfree Pick Up
    Handsfree Pick Up will not function. Calls can be made from the system, but if you answer an incoming call, you and the caller will have no sound. The workarounds discussed have been (1) answer via the phone, (2) switch sources on the phone immediately after answering, (3) use the transfer feature to transfer the call away from the system to the phone, and back to the system.
  • iPod
    When the iPhone 5 is connected with the dongle, the iPod feature finds no songs. Pandora does function when connected via the dongle. The workaround is to (1) use Bluetooth audio for listening, which works great. A caveat is not being able to use the integrated song search features or use the system to browse your library.
  • AcuraLink
    Attempting to connect with an AT&T iPhone 5, trying every AT&T connection option listed resulted in failure to connect. There is no workaround that I'm aware of. Unfortunately, this means that helpful features such as service scheduling, etc. are broken.
  • Sending Text Messages
    Receiving text messages will work if you go to Bluetooth Settings on the iPhone and turn on Show Notifications. However, sending text messages will not function.

I hope that Acura will release a firmware update, as this is a 2013 vehicle model and I'm sure many of their customers will be using the iPhone. However, I'm not very hopeful that it will happen.

I am an iOS Developer, so my next report will include any changes using iOS 6.1 beta. I haven't installed it yet.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Please keep us posted on any changes with your beta testing. I've posted about answering the phone in another post and that is definitely the biggest complaint I have.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the iPhone 4 with iOS 6.0.1 and in my 2012 Acura TL, I can answer phone calls via the button on the wheel when my phone is connected via Bluetooth or USB. There were a lot of Bluetooth connectivity issues with iOS 6 so let us know if iOS 6.0.1 fixed the problem. I haven't tried the text messaging stuff yet.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ddantzler
I love my new ILX Tech.
I hope that Acura will release a firmware update, as this is a 2013 vehicle model and I'm sure many of their customers will be using the iPhone. However, I'm not very hopeful that it will happen.

I am an iOS Developer, so my next report will include any changes using iOS 6.1 beta. I haven't installed it yet.
I am as well, although i haven't been doing much development lately. There was an iOS dev in the RDX forum discussing his experience with iOS 6 beta over the summer, but all testing was with a 4S. He seemed to have no issues other than the SMS reply feature not working. I'm not sure what apple changed in the iPhone 5 hardware/firmware such that the iPhone 5 appears to have issues with the HFL system yet the 4/4S seems to be ok (minus the ability to not send the canned text message responses). But then again, I'm surprised when anything ever works!

Definitely keep us posted of your experiences. I currently have an iPhone 4S with the latest iOS update (6.0.1?). Thankfully, I have yet to have any issues other than not being able to use the SMS reply feature. I also use Colin's workaround solution for making sure things work smoothly when your phone is connected to the HFL via bluetooth and connected to the car via usb, namely, to make sure the car connects via bluetooth prior to plugging in the USB dongle. However, I will be upgrading at some point, so, I'm hoping Acura fixes this (or maybe it will magically work with the next iOS update).

Last edited by pabarile; 11-28-2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
My iPhone 4 fully makes calls and recieves the texts; I have seen no issues with iPod functionality either.. Keep us updated as I plan to get an iPhone 5.. hopefully soon!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced

The iOS 6.1 Beta 2 software fixed the iPod functionality. Still unable to setup AcuraLink, haven't tested the other more important functionality (HandsFree Pickup, Sending Texts).
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I am little confused when you guys talking about sending text messages. That feature is not a supported feature with the Acura/iPhone combo using the car as the interface. I have found it is possible to do it but you need to use the Apple Siri interface (lthough you can speak it through the handsfreelink system). I've always viewed this capability as more of a "glitch or loophole" then a designed in feature.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Advanced

Maybe my expectations were a bit skewed then. I thought we got the 6 messages or so that we could respond with whenever we received a text. Maybe that doesn't work for *ANY* iPhone. Using Siri is probably just as well to reply if needed. Too bad our cars don't have a Siri interface.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...spark/1728871/
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Replying using the cars internal interface only works with certain BlackBerry models. Of course, you have to choose from six predefined responses. I have found it much more satisfying to use the "home" button on the iPhone and then speak to the car using HFL. "Read my new messages" and Siri well broadcast it through the system. You can then reply with any message you want.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced

I don't get many incoming calls, but I wanted to report that so far (knock on wood), I've had no problems with Handsfree Pickup using iOS 6.1 Beta 2. So, with the information provided by Colin, it seems like the AcuraLink feature is the only one that's giving me a problem at this time.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
iPhone 5

I really wanted the iPhone 5 but use the handfreelink a lot and the web site specifically said the iPhone 5 isn't compatible with the ILX. I got a DROID instead and am pretty happy with it--it even reads texts, which my iPhone 4 didn't do.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced

My testing continues with the iPhone 5 and now iOS 6.1 beta 3. Handsfree pick up is functioning as expected. iPod functionality is also repaired.

At this time, I think I'm pretty happy with the iPhone 5 integration.