New owner & few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014 | 08:05 AM
Cruisin'

New owner & few questions

Hello guys, first post here!

Just zeroed in on a brand new 2014 Acura ILX Dynamic in Crystal Black Pearl (in Canada, so comes with all trim features standard) as well as Aero Kit (OEM spoiler + front, side and read underbody kit) and tinted windows. These mods are all I'm shooting for, at least short-term.

I am quite thrilled by the car, been eyeing it for a long time. I especially like that it projects a somewhat premium - but not pretentious - image. Also, I barely see any around so having a "rare" model is very enticing to me (interestingly, it seems to make heads turn, not just mine, whenever I see one).

Now, please pardon my "rookie-ness", but on to some questions:

1) Concerning debadging. I've never done it to any car before and haven't found ILX-specific info about this. I'm not planning on removing the "A" logo but definitely the dealership crest and probably the ILX as well. From what I gather, heating it up with a hairdryer should make the letters come loose, then use adhesive dissolver and dental floss behind to pry them off, and then use more dissolver to finish it off (as per http://www.wikihow.com/Debadge-Your-Car). Does any adhesive dissolver work? The only thing I currently have at home that resembles that is Lighter Fluid but something tells me that would not be good to use on the car paint. Any advice is welcome here.

2) Background image for center display: I've prepared a nice 1680 x 936 pixels image to put in there, however I feel like this ratio isn't right for the 8-inch display. Can anyone confirm proper resolution? Also, does the image display as a splashscreen upon starting the car or only when you set it to display "Wallpaper" instead of other display options?

3) Bluetooth + USB: I'm planning on using the Bluetooth functionality for Handsfree purposes. Due to my iPhone 5s' low battery life, I intend on having plugged into the USB port most of the time. I was wondering it the text-reading functionality as well as the audio playback work through USB or Bluetooth? Any potential "conflict" there when both paired and plugged in? I assume everything works best through bluetooth, this way your music will fade out automatically when you receive a call and resume when you hang up. Thanks for sharing your experiences with the system.

4) ANC: I'm a big music enthusiast so I'll be trying to get the most out of the ELS sound system. I've never experienced an active noise cancellation but if it does muffle the bass as much as I've read it does, sounds like something I want to remove. Scrolling through this forum I can't find confirmation that there is some way, with the 2014 ILX (again, Canadian Dynamic so Tech+ trim), to remove this feature without unplugging the microphone, which I need for the handsfree.

5) Finally, I was just wondering if you guys had any tips to share to make the car more functional/comfortable/enjoyable from a practical standpoint? Anything you would have started working on earlier if you had your stock ILX again today?

Thanks for any and all advice, looks like a great community of proud owners here, which I'm happy to join. Sorry for the long e-mail, I guess it sums up my excitement for the car

Cheers!
Old 06-24-2014 | 10:18 AM
Suzuka Master

First. Congrats and welcome.

Second. The answera you want are here. Though buried, they're here.
I'll trun to briefly touch on them.

1. Debadging. We should have a thead since a few people have done it.
Just buyou some googone and be sure to wash it all off after applying. Or pick up a easy waxed spray. That should help pull out the adhesive and leave a good shine.
A badge has prone just fyi.

2. I believe I started a wallpaper thread and I believe posted the resolution size. I'll try to look later.

3. I don't own an iphone. Android all day. Good luck.

4. As for ANC there is a thread for sure with a video on how to unplug the ANC unit. I have unplugged the white plug behind the glovebox in the video and confirmed this doesn't not unplug the mic because my hands free still functions with the unit unplugged. I have also noticed heavier base and had to turn down my high ends.

5. First thing I did was lower it. A must for any car. Just 1.5in.
I feel performance wise the car is great for what we bought. Lower wider and stiffer is all I really need for the suspension.
So springs, spacers, and a sway are great first mods. Spacers more for looks than anything.
The following users liked this post:
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey, welcome aboard and congrats. Post some pics of your new ride when you get a chance. I wish I had feedback on your questions but I haven't debadged, I don't have tech package, my iPhone is un-paired, and my ANC remains as per factory spec. The audio system is great as-is, IMO. As for making the car more functional/comfortable/enjoyable, I can't think of anything in particular to recommend. I'm at 85,000 miles (136k kilometers) and have had zero unscheduled maintenance or surprises.
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Bit more info.
First the wallpaper. My bad, the thread I created it on ilxforums.com
http://www.ilxforums.com/forum/9-acu...en-savers.html

Here is my wallpaper which may help you with your dimensions.

As for resolution size I found here (some useful info)
http://www.acurinfo.com/tech-145.html
When importing wallpaper files, the image must be in the USB flash drive’s root directory. Images in a folder cannot be imported. • The file format of the image that can be imported is BMP (bmp) or JPEG (jpg). • Each image file can be up to 2 MB. • The maximum image size is 1,680 x 936 pixels. If the image size was less than 420 x 234 pixels, the image is displayed in the middle of the screen with the extra area appearing in black.
That should get everything but 3 and 5 handled for ya my friend.

I concur with 4cruzin, you should get some pictures up!
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 01:11 PM
Instructor

Congrats, and welcome! I can speak a bit to 1) and 3), beginning with referring you to a thread from the TL forum about debadging:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/debadge-869772/

It took me about 20 minutes to remove the "ILX" from my car's trunklid, using a heat gun, dental floss and 3M Adhesive Remover.

As for iPhone compatibility, I haven't experienced any problems with audio playback through Bluetooth. I also have an iPod 4 plugged in to the car's USB port, and that's what I usually use to listen to music, but I've experimented with streaming iTunes from my iPhone 5S via BT and it seems to work fine. I haven't tried text readback.
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 01:43 PM
Racer

I agree with Jon. Lower the car a bit and slap some wheel/hub centric spacers. Definitely makes the car a much sweeter ride (both in looks and feel). Good idea on the tint - looks great with the black paint.

H&R lowering springs are a great option as are a couple others.
The following 2 users liked this post by OSUBeaver:
In2itioN (06-24-2014), usdmJON (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Ditto on H&R. Id say those are the most common springs on the ILX being that at least 4 people have them. I only know 1 or 2 of people with each of the other options like skunk, tein, or coils from skunk, d2, etc.
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 03:27 PM
Cruisin'

Awesome, thanks for the quick feedback. I'll make sure to post pictures sometime next week (getting the car tomorrow at last!)

Originally Posted by usdmJON
A badge has prone just fyi.
Can you guys confirm the "A" (Acura Logo) is the only thing with holes and everything else is just glued on? I plan on removing everything but the A so sounds good.

I have unplugged the white plug behind the glovebox in the video and confirmed this doesn't not unplug the mic because my hands free still functions with the unit unplugged.
Great news. I couldn't tell from that thread whether just unplugging that part also disconnected the mic. Actually it was rather confusing because no one actually mentionned how to disconnect the mic. Any tips on dashboard removal? Sounds like a pretty complicated job for the part above the glovebox. No way around it I guess?

The maximum image size is 1,680 x 936 pixels.
That's what I had for the background I prepared, however your picture is 1920x1080 (conventional desktop size), which is not exactly the same pixel ratio. I guess it works despite being larger than the "maximum" size Acura says? Also is it the same size and ratio for those with the 5-inch screen? Mine is the 8-inch.

Thanks guys for the help, it's truly appreciated. Feel free to keep the tips coming and share your experiences, I'm sure other future owners will be able to relate.
Old 06-24-2014 | 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

Well I just re-read the ANC discussion post and looks like there's one of your replies that I missed. Everything's in there!

Any good source or instructions for glovebox removal (or "partial" removal, judging by your experience) - last car I tried opening up to install my radio, I ended up breaking plastic clips which caused rattles that I never want to experience ever again.
Old 06-24-2014 | 04:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by In2itioN
Can you guys confirm the "A" (Acura Logo) is the only thing with holes and everything else is just glued on? I plan on removing everything but the A so sounds good.
Congrats on the car great choice in color.

Yes the A is the only one with holes, an as far as removing the letters I see no need for a heat gun or floss or anything else except your hands. I pulled all mine off by just pulling them slowly and the glue gave way with zero residue left on the car. Also I keep my iphone plugged in via the center console and stream music and calls via bluetooth and it works great. If you use the usb plug it will over ride the bluetooth connection.
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 06:15 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks, I cannot see myself driving anything other than neutral colors, white/grey/charcoal... or black. The black one with the chrome accents had something to it that I truly liked.

Originally Posted by xdtownx
Also I keep my iphone plugged in via the center console and stream music and calls via bluetooth and it works great. If you use the usb plug it will over ride the bluetooth connection.
So... By keeping it plugged you *have* to use it via USB? I still want to be using Bluetooth for music streaming, plugging the USB with an iPhone cable is just to keep the battery up. Will I have a hard time playing music via Bluetooth while doing so?

Also, thanks for the advice on debadging the letters. You're definitely the first person who I see has done it that way. Has anyone else done this?
Old 06-24-2014 | 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Use the cig lighter in the center arm rest with a USB plug to charge I believe is what he was saying.
If you plug into the USB hug in the center console under the dash the car will activate that as a USB source.

I highly suggest buying a 16gb or 32gb flash drive and loading music on that. Then keep thay plugged into the center console USB and you'll always have all you're music in the car.
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 06:40 PM
Instructor

If you plug into the USB plug in the center console under the dash the car will activate that as a USB source.
That will activate the phone as a USB source, but you can still use BT for phone calls and streaming music (not sure why you would for the latter, though.)

I just tested this with my iPhone 5s to be sure.

Last edited by Flightwriter; 06-24-2014 at 06:43 PM.
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 08:37 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for checking that out guys. This is my first car with BT connectivity so I was wondering how it worked.

My iPhone is a 64gb and I constantly add new livesets in it, so keeping a USB stick up to date would mean double the work.

I plan on just using the USB plug for charging and music purposes, and still having it paired via BT for when phonecalls come in.

Can you guys confirm that a) the USB will actually power up/charge the device and b) when a call takes place it "overrides" the USB music playback and resumes after hanging up?

Again, many thanks.
Old 06-24-2014 | 09:15 PM
Advanced

It will override the music either way its hooked up, via bluetooth or the usb in the dash as long as bluetooth on your phone is on. I prefer to use the center console for charging and bluetooth for streaming music and calls because it charges the phone faster than the usb. I also have a retractable charger so I dont have to have the cord constantly hanging out from the console. And yes Jon you were right in understanding what I was saying
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 09:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by In2itioN
Thanks for checking that out guys. This is my first car with BT connectivity so I was wondering how it worked.

My iPhone is a 64gb and I constantly add new livesets in it, so keeping a USB stick up to date would mean double the work.

I plan on just using the USB plug for charging and music purposes, and still having it paired via BT for when phonecalls come in.

Can you guys confirm that a) the USB will actually power up/charge the device and b) when a call takes place it "overrides" the USB music playback and resumes after hanging up?

Again, many thanks.
Yes to both. There's decent power through the USB, though charging still occurs rather slowly when the phone is active as an MP3 or when on a call. Incoming calls override music playback.

EDIT: As xdtownx stated, charging will be quicker through the 12-volt socket under the center armrest. I actually run a separate iPod off the car's USB jack for music playback, and have a two-socket 12V extension under the armrest to power a phone charging cable and my radar detector. Even with the available power split between two devices, my iPhone still charges faster with this setup than it does from the USB connection.

Last edited by Flightwriter; 06-24-2014 at 09:22 PM.
In2itioN (06-24-2014)
Old 06-24-2014 | 11:09 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for sharing. I took for granted the USB was the way to go for my iPhone so I went ahead and ordered a 1.5' black lightning cable on Amazon, but I doubt it will be long enough to charge my phone without having it stay inside the compartment where the 12V socket is... Oh well.

And about USB playback on a memory stick: Does it keep the iTunes info (Artist, Title, Album order, etc)? I keep my stuff pretty neat so it would be a pain to have to reorder everything...

Less than 24 hours now! Can't wait!!
Old 06-25-2014 | 11:14 PM
Cruisin'

Finally got it!!

I wasn't sure how the skirts would look in person on the black ILX, but I really love it. Finished setting up the infotainment system to my likes, will probably look into disconnecting the ANC this weekend (though I haven't noticed any problem yet, the sound is quite good!).

As for the Bluetooth system, I think the problem people have is having their vents (especially the windshield ones for defogging) blow into the mic. However, I did leave a message on my voicemail and although the voice is clear, it does sound rather "cheap", like talking in a metal can or something. Not a big deal.

I will definitely take you guys' advice on using the 12V socket as a powerup for my iPhone. Speaking of which, my 5S will not connect to the Text Message functionality, is that the case for everyone out there?

Also, regarding the fog lights: Does anyone find the color to be a mismatch with the HIDs? I almost prefer the look of the car without them on. Did anyone find the right bulbs out there that color-match closely?

And last but not least my dealer threw in a little candy in the deal: He covered the large part of the front grill (the "shield") with a black 3M film, saying it was for protective purposes, however I'm not sure yet if I like that or if I'll just end up removing it to have the grill really pop out.

What do you guys think? Sorry if the picture isn't clear but I'll try to get a better shot by sunlight this weekend.
Old 06-25-2014 | 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Lots of users have made their grill black with vinyl wrap or platidip. It's very common. You may grow to like it. I gave it a try twice and took it off both times.

As for the fogs. They don't match because the headlights are hugh intensity discharge (hid) and your fogs are plain old halogens. A couple people have swapped for whiter halogens. I opted for yellow tipped halogens to give it a yellow hue then put yellow film protectors over the lense to be even more yellow.

Yellow cuts through fog better so companies normally don't spend money going for white fogs.
I like the mismatched look. Reminds me of the Lexus IS when they blew up.
In2itioN (06-29-2014)
Old 06-26-2014 | 02:16 PM
Advanced

5000k leds will match closest to the HIDs, I have 6000k and they are a little bit to blue compared to the HIDs
In2itioN (06-29-2014)
Old 06-26-2014 | 02:26 PM
10th Gear

When would you recommend doing my first oil change? Purchased in january. 4900 miles. 40% oil life. I just cant fathom the idea of going 7000 miles. Im old school, where you change it every 3000 miles or 3 months.
In2itioN (06-29-2014)
Old 06-26-2014 | 02:44 PM
Advanced

15% oil life is what they recommend. I made it to 10000 miles and still was only at 20%.
The following 2 users liked this post by xdtownx:
DACARDUDEINTX (06-26-2014), In2itioN (06-29-2014)
Old 06-26-2014 | 02:59 PM
10th Gear

That sure sounds like a lot of miles for oil.
Old 06-26-2014 | 03:21 PM
Advanced

I thought the same thing, I kept checking my oil life but when I changed it at 10000ish the oil was still suprisingly pretty clear considering the amount of miles it had gone thru.