ILX and Kids?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
ILX and Kids?

So I'm in the market for either an ILX or a TSX Special Edition. My 3 y/o son is getting too big for the back seat of my RSX and we will likely have another child in the next year or two. I have not yet driven the ILX, but I have sat in one and I'm wondering if the back seat space would be sufficient for a guy with a growing family. I have driven the TSX, which I loved, but the minimalist in me would prefer a slightly smaller car if possible...so if I can get away with having an ILX, I think I would prefer to go that route. I was hoping for some feedback from any of the dads (or moms) out there that own an ILX and if they feel the back seat room is sufficient.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't own the ILX, but have sat in one at the dealer and I will say they do have a small back seat so if those are your only two options I would go with the TSX a little more spacious
Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 92 Posts
For ADULTS it might be a bit too tight for a long trip in the back BUT for your question KIDS it fits perfectly. Trunk space is sufficient to carry the kid's gear, and the seats give them plenty of room. My niece (7) and nephew (9) both frequent my back seats often with no issues.

The TSX would be preferable for long voyages, just for the sheer fact of the space increase in the back.. especially for adults.

I am a minimalist and I am not planning on having children soon but I bought a sedan with the rear space in mind.. Given a child is a possibility.

Last edited by Trentimus; 05-31-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 5,384 Likes on 3,689 Posts
When I tested the ILX late last year. I jumped in the one in the showroom, got it situated & comfortable for me & jumped in the back seat. I had room in the back (I'm 6'0"), more than do in my wife's '04 Civic sedan. It might not be the best for a 6' adult on a long trip, but for kids it should be plenty.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I own an ILX and just last week we went on a long drive. My girlfriend 5' tall and his brother 12y/o fit perfectly comfy without complain. It also depend how you set the front seat, which be an option if you want more leg room in the back.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Coming from an RSX, the ILX should be an improvement but as someone here who has two children and has a booster seat and a child seat in the back of the ILX (don't worry guys, I have 2 seat protector mats underneath)- The 6 year old in the booster is fine but I can tell you your 3 year old will be kicking the **** out of the back of the front seat.

My wife and I are asian, so we are fairly short. I'm 5'6". She is 5'3" and the seat is pretty much set for her since it is her car. And it is manual transmission. Keeping all that in mind, you have to assume the driver seat is scooted way up for her. And it is. Yet my 3 year old daughter still kicks the crap out of the driver side back. Here is a pic:

You can see how close the child seat is to the driver's back. That is set to my wife's height.

The ILX is pretty much my wife's commuter car, so its no big deal as the kids do not live in that car, they live in the SUV. But as a primary car to lug your kids in, I'd think twice about it. But that's my opinion.

ps, on an unrelated note, the kids want to ride in the ILX every chance they can get because of the blue lights. Haha.

Last edited by Shigatsu; 05-31-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
The TSX and ILX have similar rear leg room. The TSX is >1inch bigger everywhere else including the trunk.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I am a minimalist myself in many aspects. I find the ILX satisfies that part of me quite easily. The ILX looks more like the TL and RL, but remains the smallest of the Acura line-up.
The TSX is sort of the odd-car-out in the family. Most say it dosn't take any styling cues from the Acura flagship like the RDX and ILX have to the tee. The TSX in my opinion however takes many styling cues from the TL and RL. One example is the rear lights of the TSX are simply gorgeous, as look similar to the headlights on the TL, RL (minus the jewel eye), and ILX.

In my brutal honest opinion, I think the TSX is getting a bit outdated. The TL, RL, MDX, and ILX look gorgeous in my opinion. ILX is very sophisticated and holds back in the realm of aggressiveness. The TSX is a bit more aggressive, not nearly as elegant, but a bit outdated with its edgy notes. The TL gets a bit gaughty with the big curves and that rear trunk accent. Then the RL is just sexy as all hell; no questions asked.

Get the ILX. I think the minimalist in you will love it.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I have three kids, 3,7,11 and they all fit fine unless the whole family goes. Once the seven year old is out of a booster all three will fit in the back even with one booster. With two booster style seats the center gets small, real small. It's the bucket style they used on the rear seat since its not level it pushes the booster seats close together and wastes space closest to the door

If you plan on having another child I would test fit a rear facing child seat, because I'm thinking it will effect how far back you can put the front sears. Good luck!

John
Old 06-02-2013, 09:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a few people have already noted I think it has A LOT to do with the position of the front seats. My 3 yr old has his car seat behind the passenger in my car. When the woman is in the front passenger seat no issues and plenty of space for my son. However when I've had friends ride along as passengers and that front seat goes all the way back ... Totally different story. I've actually had to move my son behind my drivers seat because of the lack of space it leaves him when the seat is pushed back on the passenger side
Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Anyone have any experience with a rear facing baby seat in the ILX?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 5,384 Likes on 3,689 Posts
Originally Posted by Switt23
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...eat-check.html
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Received 285 Likes on 245 Posts
I just took a trip with the ilx to Atlantic City -- four hour drive. Having 4 passengers in the car...all of them female though...we fit fine and had no issues. Mind you, I'm 6'3" and, while my seat isn't fully reclined, the seat can't go back any further. The ilx is plenty fine for your family up until their 13-14
Old 06-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Switt23
I have a britax rear facing infant seat in my ILX. Its behind the passenger seat. I'm 5'11 and i can fit in the passenger seat when the carrier is in the rear without my knees touching, but just barely. For me it's OK as i'm the one driving the car most of the time.