Help with the audio. These radios are garbage

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021 | 06:47 AM
6th Gear

Help with the audio. These radios are garbage

Hey guys this is my first post. I need info and help on the radio. I have 2021 ilx premium a-spec. The audio in every Acura is the worst sounding factory systems I’ve ever heard.

I install and tune competition sound quality systems so so can’t even tolerate having these radios on. Lol

i have been searching the internet for information and wiring diagrams so I can make my own wiring harness and run into my dsp then amps them back to behind the radio to the speakers harness.

does anyone have any info that might help. Possibly from anything 2019-2021?

I was able to get a few print outs from the dealership but I need more info like which reverse harness to buy etc.

Does the tweeter get split off of the signal that feeds the midbass in the door because I only see two wires labeled each front door so it would have to be split from that. Probably with a bass blocking capacitor attached.

have any of you been able to add a dsp or even an amp or just upgraded the sub?

I’m interested in anything you all did and how you did it.

thank you all

chris
Old 05-24-2021 | 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just curious, why did you buy that trim if you knew the audio was not to your standards?
Old 05-24-2021 | 07:21 PM
6th Gear

Because they gave me a good deal and there’s no 2021 Acura in any model with any system they sell that sounds good. At least in any ilx, tlx, Mdx. I just had a Mdx for a week with the “best system” and it was barely any better.

acura needs to fire their audio engineers because they are clueless and have no idea what their doing. The dsp and the anc make it much worse but nothing can make it enjoyable. Apparently I’m gonna have to just trade the 1 week old car lmfao. No one on any site or group or forum have any idea what do to or how to do it. I’ve never had such a hard time with any other car finding info. But this it too much.
Old 05-24-2021 | 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Why not just go stand alone. The factory radio is so embedded with function you'd be better off with a work around. You're going to want to replace the speakers anyway, so just build it the way you want and let the factory head unit do the car stuff.
Old 05-27-2021 | 09:00 PM
6th Gear

I added a amp and subwoofer to the factory system. I used the output from the rear subwoofer to the input of the amp and I ordered a Kicker preloaded 10" low profile box to go in the trunk and I am pushing 300 watts to the sub. It sounds like a different system when adding the sub. The cool thing is you can adjust the sub through the head unit. I mounted the amp under the drivers seat. I am using a JL audio 3 channel amp but using it as a mono amp. Here is the sub box https://www.kicker.com/comprt-10-inc...aded-enclosure. It has plenty of bass for such a small box. 2021 Acura ILX ASpec.
Old 06-14-2021 | 03:36 PM
6th Gear

Still need help

I have spent hundreds of hours now looking all over the internet. Even had the Acura dealer give me a diagram which does not match my 7 speaker a spec premium without nav head unit.

is there anyone or place I can find this diagram? It’s 2021 ILX A SPEC PREMIUM non nav. No els either
Old 06-14-2021 | 04:26 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Selkec
I have spent hundreds of hours now looking all over the internet. Even had the Acura dealer give me a diagram which does not match my 7 speaker a spec premium without nav head unit.

is there anyone or place I can find this diagram? It’s 2021 ILX A SPEC PREMIUM non nav. No els either
Try Crutchfield.
Old 06-14-2021 | 06:49 PM
6th Gear

I have. I’m just going to leave it all intact. I’ll use my phone or tablet to my helix dsp. I’m making custom a pillars anyways for my mids and customizing the sail panels for my tweets and also gonna put midbass in the kick panels since these doors are the worst does since 1985 for midbass. I came believe a 2021 car does not have resealed doors. Most cars started sealing the doors 10-15 years ago. I’m really disappointed in acura. I thought they might be a higher end car but compared to my 2013 VW cc it’s a huge step down in every way possible especially power and ride quality.

anyways. I was able to cut my 3” thick baffle down from my VW so I’ll have a 18” in a baffle behind my seats just like my previous system. Talk about insane! Without trying it would do hair tricks and as low as 20hz.

Old 07-04-2021 | 08:30 PM
6th Gear

Does anyone have the radio wiring diagram for 2021 premium a spec? Why is it so hard to get and find info for Acura’s? Facebook groups are useless and forums don’t have much info when it comes to the audio.
Old 06-05-2022 | 02:49 AM
F20
7th Gear

For anyone still dealing with this issue on upgrading the stereo in an ILX, Pioneer has recently come out with modular stereos which are totally different than standard aftermarket headunits, one is the Pioneer DMH-C5500. The screen is separated from the headunit and so that brain module can be mounted nearly anywhere out of sight then you put the screen where you want it. There is an optional 5 ft cord that connects the two so you can get creative with where to mount the screen, which looks like a tablet. This isn't a perfect solution, but it is a solution, and one not mentioned in this thread. This would obviously function completely separate from the dash stereo and you'd have to get creative with where to place it, but it would solve the problem of high end car audio in the ILX.
Old 06-08-2022 | 08:52 AM
Racer

i would contact acura and see if they can direct you to where to purchase a service manual. That will have all the wire diagrams for the car. I wont be free. I believe they go for about 150$ or so.