Of course, Acura.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012 | 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Of course, Acura.

Well.. we all know how the term "cannot replicate the problem" goes with Honda.

As Deathknight had posted is seems as though this water issue being retained within the door is completely accurate. Based on complete assumption; either the window is not seated correctly or the weatherstripping is not tight enough to the door. Water is retained within the door for DAYS.

There is multiple cases of a huge rattle in the trunk over bumps.. it's EXTREMELY loud, and sounds like something slamming.

The panels rattle? It's a new car.. my door handle, my door panel and something by my ear is rattling?

The sunroof weatherstrip is faded but my car was manufactured sometime this year?

It sounds like enough air is coming through my driver side window that I have actually tried rolling up the window AND even gone so far to trying to shut my door better.. (it didn't work)

But, the dealer "cannot replicate the problem" (any of them)... I had to leave just so I didn't get infuriated. What do we do? Just wait for Acura to do a recall on said things (if they do)?

So, sad.. I really love my car but it's my first brand new car and it's making more random noises than my first Mustang did after 3 years of abuse from a young'n.. 1st gen, 1st world problems.
Old 12-31-2012 | 10:32 AM
Drifting

Took this car through the paces on the backroads of ny, music load, speeds in excess of the speed limit, cutting corners...and then all the problems went away. It's fun, it's reliable, I'm not going to bother focusing on the bad because it makes things worse.
Old 12-31-2012 | 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's difficult to ignore things that NO car should do.. That means Kias too.
Old 12-31-2012 | 10:55 AM
David_Dude

Sorry you guys are having these problems. I'm going out on a limb here and say this is 1st MY problems. IDK if the car was rushed out to the public, but it wouldn't surprise me if this problems were fixed next year or the MMC.
Old 12-31-2012 | 11:05 AM
Drifting

Per the dealer, the weatherstripping was caused from the person who detailed the car when I first got it. They said they'd be willing to replace it under warranty.
Old 12-31-2012 | 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

I guess I've been pretty lucky but I really have no complaints like those that have been mentioned. Wind noise is there but it's not as bad as my old car. The doors do seem to rattle a bit when you close them, but I don't notice any rattles when I'm driving (trunk or otherwise). Quieter exhaust would be nice.

All in all this is a great runaround car. Easy to hop in, throw it around corners, park. It's just a "friendly" car overall. Loaned it to my dad for a little while this week while he was visiting and he loved it. I agree there is a level of expectation from a premium brand automobile but I think with some refinements coming up with the mid-model change, the ILX fully meets expectations for being the entry level car that it is. 24,000 miles of smiles here.

Trent, hope you're able to get resolution on the issues you're experiencing though.
Old 12-31-2012 | 12:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4cruizn
I guess I've been pretty lucky but I really have no complaints like those that have been mentioned. Wind noise is there but it's not as bad as my old car. The doors do seem to rattle a bit when you close them, but I don't notice any rattles when I'm driving (trunk or otherwise). Quieter exhaust would be nice.

All in all this is a great runaround car. Easy to hop in, throw it around corners, park. It's just a "friendly" car overall. Loaned it to my dad for a little while this week while he was visiting and he loved it. I agree there is a level of expectation from a premium brand automobile but I think with some refinements coming up with the mid-model change, the ILX fully meets expectations for being the entry level car that it is. 24,000 miles of smiles here.

Trent, hope you're able to get resolution on the issues you're experiencing though.
So far the only issue i experienced was the trunk noise issue when going over some rough road. However, I picked up the trunk tray recently and it seems to have mitigated the problem. Maybe its just my imagination, but the car sounds a tad quieter overall as well. Only other thing i've noticed is occasionally i have to plug in my iPhone again as the music will stop playing. It's pretty rare though and is only a minor annoyance when it occurs.

For those having issues though, I hope they do get resolved!
Old 12-31-2012 | 01:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pabarile
So far the only issue i experienced was the trunk noise issue when going over some rough road. However, I picked up the trunk tray recently and it seems to have mitigated the problem. Maybe its just my imagination, but the car sounds a tad quieter overall as well. Only other thing i've noticed is occasionally i have to plug in my iPhone again as the music will stop playing. It's pretty rare though and is only a minor annoyance when it occurs.

For those having issues though, I hope they do get resolved!
I got a trunk tray as well to see if it would alleviate some noise but unfortunately its has not helped in any way with decreasing the noise coming from the trunk floor lid. I live in a area with poor road surfaces therefore I constantly hear the trunk noise.
Old 12-31-2012 | 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't have a beef with how "good the car" is.. I like the car for how "good the car" is. I am just a little erked by the fact it is having the minor annoyances it is.. It's extremely unpleasant to hear the trunk, the headrest and the door panel rattle. So much so that I press my hand against the point I think I hear it from to try and mute it. I don't think my expectations of a entry-level luxury car are unrealistic.. as my expectation of even a Ford Fiesta would be that it doesn't rattle @ 3.7K miles..

There is no resolution though, dealer said sorry for your luck.. it would take Acura to claim them as issues....... and Honda has had a long standing relationship with waiting 2-3 years to fix an issue..

I will just have to suck it up... I may have to go through and find my own fixes, which I think the expectation of buying a brand new car and needing to do such a thing is an unrealistic one. But, those are the things happening to me.. I hope everyone else has better luck than me. Anyways, Happy New Year.

*My 2003 mustang had small little foamy padding where the panels would meet each other, I am gonna see if the panels on the ILX have anything similar.. will report back.

The trunk I don't even know where to start.. that's just a design flaw or something. The latch and stuff seems to seat properly.

Last edited by Trentimus; 12-31-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Revision.
Old 12-31-2012 | 02:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Trentimus
I don't have a beef with how "good the car" is.. I like the car for how "good the car" is. I am just a little erked by the fact it is having the minor annoyances it is.. It's extremely unpleasant to hear the trunk, the headrest and the door panel rattle. So much so that I press my hand against the point I think I hear it from to try and mute it. I don't think my expectations of a entry-level luxury car are unrealistic.. as my expectation of even a Ford Fiesta would be that it doesn't rattle @ 3.7K miles..

There is no resolution though, dealer said sorry for your luck.. it would take Acura to claim them as issues....... and Honda has had a long standing relationship with waiting 2-3 years to fix an issue..

I will just have to suck it up... I may have to go through and find my own fixes, which I think the expectation of buying a brand new car and needing to do such a thing is an unrealistic one. But, those are the things happening to me.. I hope everyone else has better luck than me. Anyways, Happy New Year.

*My 2003 mustang had small little foamy padding where the panels would meet each other, I am gonna see if the panels on the ILX have anything similar.. will report back.

The trunk I don't even know where to start.. that's just a design flaw or something. The latch and stuff seems to seat properly.
Whatever you do, I recommend that you actually ask them to write up a ticket with the problems your are experiencing instead of them just telling you, sorry we can't do anything for you. This way it will be in the system and Acura will be fully aware of it. Once they see other people are coming in with the same problems, they will be pressed to resolve these issues.
The following users liked this post:
Trentimus (01-01-2013)
Old 12-31-2012 | 02:48 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

sorry to hear about the annoyances. unfortunately, the solutions wont' be in the form of recalls (recalls are for the safety of the vehicle). the annoyances will be fixed through TSBs. as more of these issues pop up with the ILX, acura will hunt these down to have a fix for them for the dealers to reference (ie TSBs). as long as you're within warranty the dealer's will fix them under warranty.

it sounds like the ILX is going through it's 1st MY issues.

OP- did you ride in the car WITH the shop foreman or the tech to point out the noises? you have to figure these guys are around impact guns and loud air tools all day, that minute sounds may not even register with them (like wind noise from the door).

the 3G TL is known for it's rattles. many of which were fixed through TSBs or DIYs. you could try another dealer? the only issue with the ILX is that there aren't that many out there driving around right now so the problems may take a while to trend.
Trentimus (01-01-2013)
Old 12-31-2012 | 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
I got a trunk tray as well to see if it would alleviate some noise but unfortunately its has not helped in any way with decreasing the noise coming from the trunk floor lid. I live in a area with poor road surfaces therefore I constantly hear the trunk noise.
In the other thread somebody has tried removing the trunk floor and spare tire and it hasn't quieted the noise.(Which I do not hear by the way). I know this sounds crazy, but I would get in the trunk and have somebody drive me around town. Especially in areas where you know cause the noise. This way you might be able to better isolate where the sound comes from. Troubleshooting various noises is extremely difficult and time-consuming. We used to do this often back in my old car audio days. Subwoofers would cause miscellaneous rattling and buzzing and trying to dampen them out often times required several trips in the trunk.
The following 2 users liked this post by Colin:
4cruizn (01-02-2013), Trentimus (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013 | 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spirited Driver
Whatever you do, I recommend that you actually ask them to write up a ticket with the problems your are experiencing instead of them just telling you, sorry we can't do anything for you. This way it will be in the system and Acura will be fully aware of it. Once they see other people are coming in with the same problems, they will be pressed to resolve these issues.
They did a little note of the issue, then put "could not replicate issue" on the bottom of it.
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
sorry to hear about the annoyances. unfortunately, the solutions wont' be in the form of recalls (recalls are for the safety of the vehicle). the annoyances will be fixed through TSBs. as more of these issues pop up with the ILX, acura will hunt these down to have a fix for them for the dealers to reference (ie TSBs). as long as you're within warranty the dealer's will fix them under warranty.

it sounds like the ILX is going through it's 1st MY issues.

OP- did you ride in the car WITH the shop foreman or the tech to point out the noises? you have to figure these guys are around impact guns and loud air tools all day, that minute sounds may not even register with them (like wind noise from the door).

the 3G TL is known for it's rattles. many of which were fixed through TSBs or DIYs. you could try another dealer? the only issue with the ILX is that there aren't that many out there driving around right now so the problems may take a while to trend.
I didn't actually ride with him, I could probably request to have them to check it again. That way I could ride with him and at least be like SEE SEE haha

You're pretty much on the page my thought pattern is on.. it will take more ILXs to have the issue, and a lot of people will just ignore the sounds.

Originally Posted by Colin
In the other thread somebody has tried removing the trunk floor and spare tire and it hasn't quieted the noise.(Which I do not hear by the way). I know this sounds crazy, but I would get in the trunk and have somebody drive me around town. Especially in areas where you know cause the noise. This way you might be able to better isolate where the sound comes from. Troubleshooting various noises is extremely difficult and time-consuming. We used to do this often back in my old car audio days. Subwoofers would cause miscellaneous rattling and buzzing and trying to dampen them out often times required several trips in the trunk.
I have been thinking about sitting in the back seat but the trunk works too! LOL

Thank you all for the comments/suggestions. I am pulling apart a door panel right now.. the car comes apart rather easily. Pics will come this weekend.
Old 01-01-2013 | 01:29 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

when i had a pull in my TL, the shop foreman said everything was fine. i insisted it was there and that i wasn't crazy. so i went back and took a ride with the foreman driving and me in the passenger seat. we were just talking as he test drove it...and he felt the pull i was talking about. i told him, see i'm not crazy! lol. he confirmed that it was there but finding the problem was the issue. we eventually figured it out, but sometimes, you just have to be nice and firm about what you are hearing and feeling in the car. when they realize that you are particular and you know your car...they seem to appreciate it a little more. and in the fact that you are willing to work with them to figure out the problem....is always a plus. getting mad AT them does nothing. frustration and annoyance can be understandable as long as it's not directed at the service dept (they are there to help you). service depts hate trying to find rattles and random little noises, but it is a legitimate complaint. i had wind noise in my driver's side door for in my MDX. they tried to replace the weather stripping, re aligning the door...it was only marginally better. claimed it was a normal characteristic for THIS car. so i found my own solution to deaden the noise. now it's about 90% improved on my simple fix.

if it was my car and you have the know how to take the car apart...find the noise and dynamat the whole thing. i plan i doing this for both of my cars (doors, rear deck on the TL). the accessory noises are annoying.
Old 01-01-2013 | 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
when i had a pull in my TL, the shop foreman said everything was fine. i insisted it was there and that i wasn't crazy. so i went back and took a ride with the foreman driving and me in the passenger seat. we were just talking as he test drove it...and he felt the pull i was talking about. i told him, see i'm not crazy! lol. he confirmed that it was there but finding the problem was the issue. we eventually figured it out, but sometimes, you just have to be nice and firm about what you are hearing and feeling in the car. when they realize that you are particular and you know your car...they seem to appreciate it a little more. and in the fact that you are willing to work with them to figure out the problem....is always a plus. getting mad AT them does nothing. frustration and annoyance can be understandable as long as it's not directed at the service dept (they are there to help you). service depts hate trying to find rattles and random little noises, but it is a legitimate complaint. i had wind noise in my driver's side door for in my MDX. they tried to replace the weather stripping, re aligning the door...it was only marginally better. claimed it was a normal characteristic for THIS car. so i found my own solution to deaden the noise. now it's about 90% improved on my simple fix.

if it was my car and you have the know how to take the car apart...find the noise and dynamat the whole thing. i plan i doing this for both of my cars (doors, rear deck on the TL). the accessory noises are annoying.
I am with you 100%.. I knew I couldn't be firm and keep my cool at the time so I told them we could just talk again if it persisted. I am planning on dynamating anyways and can probably use a small foamy material to keep the rattles to a minimum. I'd like to ask, what did you do on the wind noise for your MDX?
Old 01-01-2013 | 05:50 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i added some a layer of aftermarket self adhesive weather stripping just adjacent to the factory weather stripping around the door (on the frame of the car part, not the door itself). some folks on mdxers did the same thing for the same problem and it helped. it's not 100% gone, but it's better than it was. that's what the volume dial is for on the stereo right? lol.

eventually i want ot dynamat at least the front doors and the sub (there is a slight rattle back there like my TL).

next time you take your car in for service, set your appt and ask to set up a ride with the shop foreman to assess the noises. if you go to the same service adviser everytime, then they'll know about the problem already. or if it annoys you enough take it back sooner (i know, total PITA, but hey...you're the one driving it....). certain noises i can usually wait on if it has nothing to do with the actual mechanical components that drive the car. i had a suspension rattle one time that drove me nuts for 10 days. i fixed it, thank goodness with a little verbal help from a dealer friend, and folks on here.

be persistent...as annoying as it is...it'll get fixed whether be by you or the dealer.
Old 01-01-2013 | 07:59 PM
Pro

If possible, try another dealer. It's the "service" department and quality of service really depends on your service rep. You can go to a BMW or Benz service department and get a crappy experience from a jerk rep.
Old 01-02-2013 | 06:00 AM
Summer is Coming

The 2G RDX folks have had a noise 'in the trunk' that turned out to be a bad set of rear struts. It seemed to happen in colder weather. Not saying that is the same problem, just an idea.
Trentimus (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013 | 07:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
The 2G RDX folks have had a noise 'in the trunk' that turned out to be a bad set of rear struts. It seemed to happen in colder weather. Not saying that is the same problem, just an idea.
I'll have to look into all possibilities.

Thanks for the help again everyone.. I'll try round 2 with my dealer here on Monday
Old 01-02-2013 | 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
So here in Denver, it has been cold as balls for the entire week I've owned the ILX.

Can anyone else attest to hearing the rear end "thunk" over minor bumps in WARM weather?