2016 ILX: I predict it'll be a hit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 ILX: I predict it'll be a hit

The original ILX was a good car, but in two key areas—the engine and transmission—it wasn't as good as some of its competitors. Now with the new 2.4 direct injected engine and 8 speed dual clutch transmission from the TLX I think this is going to be a hot car. The ILX will be about 500 pounds lighter than the TLX, and so it should have pretty thrilling performance. And if Acura keeps the price not far from the 2015 ILX, this car is going to really give a lot of bang for the buck.

But what do you think: hit or miss for the 2016 ILX?

Also, what's your prediction for the 0-60 time? Motor Trend tested the TLX out at 7.2 with the 2.4. Could the ILX shave as much as a second off of that?

Last edited by benjaminh; 01-31-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Racer

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but Automotive News reported that the base 2016 ILX will list for $27,970, including destination. If this is true, that means they've given this car a huge upgrade in performance without increasing the price. Impressive if true. Anyway, the ILX is on my personal list. Would like to take it for a test drive at some point....

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...uring-afc-game
Old 01-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
The combo of a cool new dual clutch and a smooth revving honda motor should make it a winner.

I think the styling is a home run. I seriously like the way this car looks. The lines of it are great, and the new headlights, taillights, and more aggressive bumper trim really make it look special. Especially with the 18s from the A-Spec package. Especially compared with the A3 or (IMO ugly) Verano, both of which are quite plain.

It'll probably have to start at around $28k. That's already really close to the TLX with the same powertrain (think 228i is $32k and 328i is $37k), so regardless of a comparison to the old ILX, they have to distance it from the TLX.

I still can't get over the fact that there's no more manual, however. I know, nobody bought it, and the DCT is the best auto-replacement that could be, but considering the old transmission was so good, it's just a shame.
The following 2 users liked this post by panamera125:
benjaminh (02-01-2015), jwong77 (02-08-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:25 AM
Racer

Panamera: I see your point about the manual, but as you know they are dying out. I myself have driven manuals since I first learned to drive in 1979. My current ride is a 2008 Accord EXL navi with the 5 speed manual. Rare model indeed! I had to special order it to get it. Still really like the car, but the lack of power given the big size and weight of the vehicle is sometimes a little bit of a letdown. It's now more than 7 full years old, and has c. 72,000 miles on it. But really there's nothing wrong with it, and I put on new tires just a couple of years ago. I should probably run her to ten years, before trading the "white whale" as I call her in, but I have to admit being tempted by the new ILX.

In terms of transmissions, even though I enjoy shifting, I've been mostly won over by the EarthDreams CVT in my wife's 2013 Accord EXL. The main reason I've driven manuals over the years has been the fun-to-drive factor, but another reason is faster acceleration and better mpg. With the 8 speed DCT you can cross higher mpg and faster acceleration off the list. I think the new ILX is going to get to 60 faster than the old ILX with the 6MT, plus it's going to get higher mpg than the old 2.4 ILX.

I feel mixed about it, but at the age of 50 I feel like maybe at some point I will be ready to give up shifting. It does keep me active and amused while driving, and so maybe I'm wrong about that. But right now I feel like a smaller car with more power would be appealing.

One thing I love about my current Accord is the great rear visibility. And so I have a question for you current ILX owners, since in this one area the 2016 is going to be the same as the previous models: how is the rear visibility on the ILX?

Last edited by benjaminh; 02-01-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
It has the potential to be a GREAT SUCCESS until we know how the DCT works. It has been anything but totally smooth integration in the TLX (no pun intended) but I am reserving judgement until owners starts driving them.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
It has the potential to be a GREAT SUCCESS until we know how the DCT works. It has been anything but totally smooth integration in the TLX (no pun intended) but I am reserving judgement until owners starts driving them.
Yeah, that's my biggest concern too. Hoping it's just a software fix and that they'll have it done soon. Since the soonest I'd buy would likely be December of this year, I'm guess it will all be ironed out by then. In fact, maybe they already ironed it out for the ILX? We can hope....
Old 02-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by panamera125

I still can't get over the fact that there's no more manual, however. I know, nobody bought it, and the DCT is the best auto-replacement that could be, but considering the old transmission was so good, it's just a shame.
From Automobile Mag -- a trip down memory lane and a fitting farewell to Acura manuals:
A Farewell to the Stickshift Acura

Now I will cry in my beer. Actually, I do get it: as long as Honda continues to make manuals, I have no reason to cry.
The following 2 users liked this post by WheelMcCoy:
benjaminh (02-01-2015), panamera125 (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Racer

That was a good history of manuals at Acura. Makes me a bit wistful too. But there's also this:

A New Acura Integra? ?Just Wait,? We?re Told ? News ? Car News | Car and Driver Blog

"Are we finally going to get a replacement for the Acura Integra/RSX? You could see that Acura chief designer Dave Marek wanted to spill the beans here at the SEMA show about the plans for Honda’s long-floundering luxury brand, but he was prevented by the watchful presence of a company PR rep. All he was able to say was this: “A performance brand needs a flagship and it needs an accessible sport car. Not a sports car, but a sport car....”

“There are changes coming, and then there are more changes coming,” said Marek. The refreshed Acura ILX, which will debut at the L.A. auto show in mid-November, will hint at the sportier direction Acura wants to take its entry-level offerings. “It’s not what our direction is going to be, but it’s a step in that direction,” he said. Eventually Acura will expand its model portfolio from the current collection of sedans and crossovers. “There are lots of resources and activity going into making Acura back into what it was.”
Old 02-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Racer

I liked the original tagline for Acura:

"Precision Crafted Performance"

Maybe they'll get back to that?

Old 02-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Racer

MotorWeek's test from 1992 of the Integra GSR manual:

0-60 in 7.9 was fast back then....

It was c. $18k, which adjusted for inflation would be c. $29k today. In other words, we're going to be able to buy a new ILX soon for about the same money as that GSR. No manual, but the ILX will be faster, much roomier, much safer, and much more comfortable. Loss and gain are brothers twain, as they say, but all in all I think that shows amazing progress in engineering over the last quarter of a century.

It would be interesting, however, for Acura to go back to its roots and come out with a car more like that Integra today.

Last edited by benjaminh; 02-01-2015 at 12:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by benjaminh:
neuronbob (02-09-2015), WheelMcCoy (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ We should e-mail this youtube video to the guys at Acura and remind them of how engaging their cars once were compared to the industry. I am not doubt that today's Acura are far superior than this Integra was BUT they have managed to go from being on top to being surpassed by pretty much all the big names such as Audi, BMW, Lexus and Cadillac. It is a shame really that they have allowed themselves to fall so far behind....

Oh well....
Old 02-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by benjaminh

While everyone seems to think the Legend was all that....looking at those lines now, ugh, not sure I'd want one. Those A pillars and where the rear window starts is some odd looking.

Today's Acura are far prettier in my opinion.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:27 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I hope during the MMC they add a VTEC turbo to the lineup.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
The ILX was also lacking in terms of "luxury" (I sometimes don't know what that word means when it comes to cars) due to it's ride quality and NVH issues as well as it's perceived lack of features (especially after the Civic got updated and the A3/CLA hit the market). These were separate issues from the lack of power.

It sounds like they have made changes accordingly - I'm very interested to see what the first drive reports are like AND what competition Acura has on hand (usually Acura has a few competitors around). Hopefully they'll have an A3 1.8T, CLA250 and a Verano Turbo.

However I don't think the market for entry level luxury cars is as big as the analysts keep saying it is. It is a segment with a lot of interest because of the A3 and CLA - but those cars don't necessarily sell at huge numbers.

The CLA sold 27,365 units this year. The A3 sold 22,250 - though if you look at the monthly rate for the A3 so far it would have sold basically the same number as the CLA. The Verano sold 43,743 units but it's pricing is much lower than that of any of the other competitors - it's pricing basically ends where the ILX begins so it's hard to lump it in too much with the CLA and the A3. Just for comparison the 3 series sold over 140,000 units this year.

However I think it's safe to say that the ceiling for the ILX is probably right around 30,000 units given the competition and the reception and performance of the model so far. However if the ILX gets to 30,000 units this year I will be stunned. I think we'll see the ILX grow from the 17K units it sold this year but if it probably won't get much past 25K.

A win for Acura would be 2,000 ILX a month selling without heavy incentives. I think the A3 is just too solid a competitor for the ILX to get much higher than that.

If Acura hits 24,000 units this year I'd say it will qualify as a solid success. Getting to CLA levels of sales would make it a hit.
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 02:06 PM
Racer

That was a good history of manuals at Acura. Makes me a bit wistful too. But there's also this:

A New Acura Integra? ?Just Wait,? We?re Told ? News ? Car News | Car and Driver Blog

"Are we finally going to get a replacement for the Acura Integra/RSX? You could see that Acura chief designer Dave Marek wanted to spill the beans here at the SEMA show about the plans for Honda’s long-floundering luxury brand, but he was prevented by the watchful presence of a company PR rep. All he was able to say was this: “A performance brand needs a flagship and it needs an accessible sport car. Not a sports car, but a sport car....”

“There are changes coming, and then there are more changes coming,” said Marek. The refreshed Acura ILX, which will debut at the L.A. auto show in mid-November, will hint at the sportier direction Acura wants to take its entry-level offerings. “It’s not what our direction is going to be, but it’s a step in that direction,” he said. Eventually Acura will expand its model portfolio from the current collection of sedans and crossovers. “There are lots of resources and activity going into making Acura back into what it was.”
I bet that we'll see some sort of sports car, or at least something sportier. The TLX, RDX and MDX are pretty good successes right now, so as long as they keep selling well, there should me some money for a sportier model. Also, if anyone remembers, there was much speculation about an ILX coupe before it really came out, but so-so sales kept that from happening (apparently). If this new ILX does well, maybe that will help push Acura into making something sportier.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
^^ We should e-mail this youtube video to the guys at Acura and remind them of how engaging their cars once were compared to the industry. I am not doubt that today's Acura are far superior than this Integra was BUT they have managed to go from being on top to being surpassed by pretty much all the big names such as Audi, BMW, Lexus and Cadillac. It is a shame really that they have allowed themselves to fall so far behind....

Oh well....
With the new ILX I'm going to try to make a case that Acura is back in the game and competitive.

It seems that maybe Automotive News got a leak of the price before anyone else:

"The 2016 ILX costs $27,970, including shipping, and hits dealerships in February."

If true (and I can hardly believe it) that's an increase of only $25. That's for a car with a massively upgraded engine and transmission, a stiffened body, better suspension, updated tech interface, apparently more features, quieter and yet sportier ride, etc. In other words, they added thousands of dollars of improvements without really changing the price.

A comparably equipped Audi A3 1.8 FWD costs about $35,000. And not only are you saving c. $7k compared to the Audi, but the Acura will be faster, get better mpg, and almost certainly will be more reliable and less costly to own in the long run.

The original ILX with the 2.0 (apologies to those who own this good car) was not really competitive with the Audi A3. And in some areas, like interior design, the Audi may still be superior. But is it worth $7000 more than the ILX? I doubt it. In fact, I know which one I would rather own regardless of price. After my last VW experience (nightmare), I vowed never again and I don't think I'm going to waver from that.

Again, perhaps this price is a mistake or bad data, but if it's the real deal I think the new ILX is going to offer the best car for the money in the entry level segment.

I think iutodd's sales projections are perhaps pretty accurate. He says 24,000 a year would be a solid success, and that he'd be stunned if it got to 30,000. I actually think it might get close to 30,000. And I might even be one of those....

Last edited by benjaminh; 02-01-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I think it will do great.

My reasoning...
I love my 2013 ILX even with its slow engine and 5speed tranny.

So a faster similar car should be even better.

I however dont like the styling ques in this ILX aside from the lighting. But from what I see many people like it more so I agree it should be a hit... aside from those saying it's just a civic forgetting that many many cars start on other platforms.
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by usdmJON
I think it will do great.

My reasoning...
I love my 2013 ILX even with its slow engine and 5speed tranny.

So a faster similar car should be even better.

I however dont like the styling ques in this ILX aside from the lighting. But from what I see many people like it more so I agree it should be a hit... aside from those saying it's just a civic forgetting that many many cars start on other platforms.
I'm sure you've already posted this somewhere before, but can you tell me what you love about your ILX? Since I'd possibly be making the switch from a 2008 Accord, I'd need to get used to the smaller size, but I think I'm ready for that....

Oh, and how is the rear visibility?
Old 02-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

benjaminh....YOu have made some good point and I agree that Acura MAY be back in teh game with this MMC ILX. The make/break point is whether the 8 DCT is free of problems and provide drivers a great experience. On paper, it has everything to be a success and will be a similar package as the 1G TSX (automatic) with the same sort of output and even a little light, and that car was fun to drive.

We have a 2014 ILX (2.0) in our garage and I LOVE this little car, in fact, almost as much as my TL was. The TL had more quality material and quieter ride but felt a heavy car while this little 2.0l is so rev happy and tossable. It could be the fact that I am just a skinny guy and makes the ILX fit like a glove.

I think there are enough changes to make me consider the 2016 ILX as MY good car while the g/f will have her 2014 ILX but I need to test drive one first. In fact, I'd be happy driving a 2016 ILX until Acura comes up with a sportier variant of the TLX (or coupe). I'd hate to get a TLX now and have to change it for a sportier version of it a year or 2 so from now....so going from the 2016 ILX to a 2017/2018 TLX would be more fun.

Now I need to make a proposition to my dealer but failure to pulling that deal off, I will proceed with the car that has my name on it which has been built and is currently being shipped.

The rear visibility of the current ILX is perfectly acceptable....The thing I love the most about the ILX is in fact the outward visibility and the nimbleness of this car.
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm sure you've already posted this somewhere before, but can you tell me what you love about your ILX? Since I'd possibly be making the switch from a 2008 Accord, I'd need to get used to the smaller size, but I think I'm ready for that....

Oh, and how is the rear visibility?
I come from a 1994 Integra that was lightly modded.

I wanted a more luxurious car that looked good but didnt stray too far from what I was already driving.

So the ILX was pretty much made for me. Sure Id like it to be faster but my LS Integra wasnt any faster so I cant complain. Infact, this car as much more torque making it feel a lot faster than my Integra was.

Add to that the fact that I can mod it at a similar cost to my integra. Where as parts for say, a Lexus, cost much more.

It turns a lot of heads and though people here may not think the ILX looks good; the general census in my area thinks it is a gorgeous car.

I find it fun to drive and every mod I add makes it that much more fun.

As for rear visibility, I took out the rear head rests and now I can see easy while backing up. Before those headrests were just in the way. My ILX looks anything but stock though. Engine was is pretty stock though.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Racer

It's great to hear that current owners love their ILXs. Probably that 2.0 engine is just fine, and I apologize for saying that it's maybe not quite up to the Audi A3 in terms of power. Good to hear about the current ILX being tossable and and fun to drive. I have some fun to drive factor in my 2008 Accord with the manual, and I am hesitating about giving it up. But the 2016 ILX sounds very compelling....
Old 02-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Suzuka Master

It's great to hear that current owners love their ILXs. Probably that 2.0 engine is just fine, and I apologize for saying that it's maybe not quite up to the Audi A3 in terms of power. Good to hear about the current ILX being tossable and and fun to drive. I have some fun to drive factor in my 2008 Accord with the manual, and I am hesitating about giving it up. But the 2016 ILX sounds very compelling....

LOL
No apology needed. You are right. The ILX isnot very quick at all. But it does have more torque than my 1994 integra and feel a lot quicker than that car.
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2013 ILX 2.0 Premium owner here.

I'm completely satisfied with current ILX as my daily commute, as it is comfortable, somewhat luxurious and gets good gas mileage. A lot of my friend did ask "Why did you get ILX? It's waste of money, 30K car ugh", but what they didn't realize is probably from early 2013, Honda gave a lot of incentive for ILX, and when I got this car, the monthly lease payment was similar to 2013 Honda Accord Sport Sedan that I was also looking at. Given heavy incentive that will come for 2015 Acura ILX, the monthly lease payment will be some what similar to top of the line Toyota Corolla- would people say "Jeez, top end Toyota Corolla is a complete waste of money"?

My point is, unless Acura wants to look like Hyundai or Kia (Where they have sale promotion every week), they need to make MMC ILX to look like a car that represents MSRP. And, I think they can certainly do that with updated engine/ transmission.
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Racer

Does the I in ILX maybe stand for the ghost of the Integra? I'm sure many other people have thought of that over the years....
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Racer

^^Yeah, you don't need to apologize about saying the engine is uncompetitive. It sort of is, you'd expect much more power if you're paying for an entry-luxury sedan. In all honesty, however, it really doesn't feel underpowered. If you want a race car, you won't be happy, but as it's been said, the ILX is nimble and light. The engine and transmission work perfectly together, and even though there isn't much power there, it downshifts very quickly and you get moving. It almost adds to the light character that you don't have much power. The ILX is not about brute force. For a DD, it really does feel fast enough.

As far as the A3 goes, it starts with 170 hp and 200 lb ft, so that's 20 hp more and 60 lb ft more. That's a lot, but the Audi weighs a little more (about 150 lb). The power is a considerable amount, but because the ILX was a lot less money than the A3 (with more features base), you might expect that. On paper, sure, it looks like there's no comparison. But again, the ILX just doesn't feel underpowered. The new 2.4 should really help on paper.
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Racer

Right now I'm convinced that the price from Automotive News for the 2016 ILX is a mistake. It appears to be exactly the same as the current list price of the 2015 ILX. That just doesn't seem possible, not even for Acura/Honda, given how many expensive upgrades there are on this car. I expect a price increase for the base 2016 compared to the base 2015 of around a thousand dollars or so, and even at that price point it will still be a very good deal.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

^^Yeah, you don't need to apologize about saying the engine is uncompetitive. It sort of is, you'd expect much more power if you're paying for an entry-luxury sedan. In all honesty, however, it really doesn't feel underpowered. If you want a race car, you won't be happy, but as it's been said, the ILX is nimble and light. The engine and transmission work perfectly together, and even though there isn't much power there, it downshifts very quickly and you get moving. It almost adds to the light character that you don't have much power. The ILX is not about brute force. For a DD, it really does feel fast enough.

As far as the A3 goes, it starts with 170 hp and 200 lb ft, so that's 20 hp more and 60 lb ft more. That's a lot, but the Audi weighs a little more (about 150 lb). The power is a considerable amount, but because the ILX was a lot less money than the A3 (with more features base), you might expect that. On paper, sure, it looks like there's no comparison. But again, the ILX just doesn't feel underpowered. The new 2.4 should really help on paper.
Id have to disagree here. But only with the second sentence. The power I get from my 2.0 is exactly what I expected for an entry level luxury. I dont see luxury as fast. I just dont. So for me they could have never increased the power and it still a fine entry level in my opinion.

I dont care about name brand. So the name Audi means nothing to me. All I see from the A3 is more luxury, more speed, and with those more cost. I was perfectly happy with the power my ILX has for the cost it was.

With the Audi A3, I just built one to match my ILX with creature comforts and I am looking at a 34,500 car. That's, I assume, before taxes and such. That is almost 5grand more for what?
A smaller engine, but this one is turbocharged so thats why it is quicker. But only 20hp and 60lb more for about 5grand.

Not to mention the cost of ownership in an audi is higher than an acura. I feel the ILX is the perfect bang for your buck at only 27-30,000$.

You pay more with audi you get more with audi. You get what you pay for regardless.
panamera125 (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Racer

Id have to disagree here. But only with the second sentence. The power I get from my 2.0 is exactly what I expected for an entry level luxury. I dont see luxury as fast. I just dont. So for me they could have never increased the power and it still a fine entry level in my opinion.

I dont care about name brand. So the name Audi means nothing to me. All I see from the A3 is more luxury, more speed, and with those more cost. I was perfectly happy with the power my ILX has for the cost it was.

With the Audi A3, I just built one to match my ILX with creature comforts and I am looking at a 34,500 car. That's, I assume, before taxes and such. That is almost 5grand more for what?
A smaller engine, but this one is turbocharged so thats why it is quicker. But only 20hp and 60lb more for about 5grand.

Not to mention the cost of ownership in an audi is higher than an acura. I feel the ILX is the perfect bang for your buck at only 27-30,000$.

You pay more with audi you get more with audi. You get what you pay for regardless.
I think what you're saying here makes sense. But it perhaps also shows why up until this point the ILX wasn't a big hit. The ILX, being an Acura, was always a very well engineered, nicely built, high quality car. But, as you mention, even though it was a good value for the price, the 2.0 didn't really stack up to the A3 when it came to power. For many people it was fully adequate. But there are many other people who, when the buy an "entry level luxury car" expect a bit more zoom as part of the package.

And now, the 2016 ILX is going to give not just a bit more zoom, but a whole lot more, for probably a relatively small increase in price. And because the engine and transmission are so advanced, mpg will actually go up with the 2.4 and 8 speed DCT compared to the outgoing 2.0/5 speed. So it's a win-win that suddenly makes the Acura ILX not just a good car for the money, but something that's competitive or even in some ways better than not just the A3, but maybe even the BMW 320i. The base 320i gets from 0-60 in about 7.1 seconds. The new ILX might be almost a second faster than that. And comparably equipped, the ILX is almost $10,000 less than a BMW 320i. Perhaps understandably most BMW fans would scoff at the idea of the ILX being in some ways a better car than the 320i. But a second faster is nothing to scoff at imho.

When the head of Acura said that the new ILX would have "the best power to weight ratio in its class," while at the same time also getting the best mpg in the class, and also having the highest safety ratings, he was making a case for this car that couldn't be made before....

Last edited by benjaminh; 02-01-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I like that tagline a lot. The Acura logo is really a caliper afterall, but over time, it has just become an "A" for Acura.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I just figured the squeezed the top of a Honda emblem.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I just figured the squeezed the top of a Honda emblem.
That's the popular interpretation, but it's not the original interpretation. My avatar is the 1987 Integra. The car was created before Acura had an official badge... hence, no badge on the trunk (I did not de-badge). I waited with anticipation on what the badge would look like.

When Acura finally introduced their badge, it was a caliper:

Acura Logo Design And History

and

Acura logo

It's too bad this trivia is lost to history. The badge was compared to StarTrek TNG's comm badge briefly, before it became known as a pinched H.
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Racer

I guess the "A" means more than one thing.

usdmJON, I actually like your point about luxury not necessarily being fast. Just before the whole ILX class of cars came and after the RSXs and Integras were gone, almost anything wearing a luxury badge was 200+ hp.

It kind of brings up the point of, what is a luxury car anyway? To me, it's just a nicer car than what you'd typically get, and that's exactly what the ILX is, a step up from a typical compact sedan. Now that Lexus, Audi, BMW and so on offer less expensive cars with less than 200 hp, it's a better representation of what a luxury car is. I hadn't really thought about that before, so thanks.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I guess the "A" means more than one thing.

usdmJON, I actually like your point about luxury not necessarily being fast. Just before the whole ILX class of cars came and after the RSXs and Integras were gone, almost anything wearing a luxury badge was 200+ hp.

It kind of brings up the point of, what is a luxury car anyway? To me, it's just a nicer car than what you'd typically get, and that's exactly what the ILX is, a step up from a typical compact sedan. Now that Lexus, Audi, BMW and so on offer less expensive cars with less than 200 hp, it's a better representation of what a luxury car is. I hadn't really thought about that before, so thanks.

To try and play both sides, Id say the ILX is simply a good ENTRY level luxury as it has a lot of creature comforts and tech that put it apart from the Civic or a Corolla... your standard compact/family cars.
However, to call it a full luxury car I would expect it to keep up with a BMW, Lexus, Audi, etc etc; which is does not.

I have no problems saying the 1st gen ILX is a slow entry level lux. But it is still faster than the Integra which was called a sport compact with far far more luxuries.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Does the I in ILX maybe stand for the ghost of the Integra? I'm sure many other people have thought of that over the years....
Acura wisely stayed neutral about this, lest the ILX did not live up to the legend. Nothing can really compete with a ghost.

Part of the magic of the Integra was that it came in hatch form. Hatchbacks were popular in those days, and the Integra made for an affordable car college kids and graduates can use to haul stuff, haul ass (relatively speaking), and have fun.

I like the engine upgrade that comes with the 2016 ILX, but I prefer the looks of the earlier ILX. I see the ILX as a cousin to the Integra rather than a spiritual successor.

But for ghostly resemblance, look toward the discontinued TSX Wagon. With its hatch, refined driving dynamics, and double wish bones all around, the TSX Wagon still is not the spiritual successor to the Integra. Look closer, however, and you glimpse that the Wagon is an Integra that has grown up.
benjaminh (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Right now I'm convinced that the price from Automotive News for the 2016 ILX is a mistake. It appears to be exactly the same as the current list price of the 2015 ILX. That just doesn't seem possible, not even for Acura/Honda, given how many expensive upgrades there are on this car. I expect a price increase for the base 2016 compared to the base 2015 of around a thousand dollars or so, and even at that price point it will still be a very good deal.
I don't think the price is wrong. The TLX is about 32k with destination

Unless I can get the ilx w premium for around 29.5 MSRP the tlx is much more attractive at 32k

TLX gain a lot of stuff for the same price or minimal increase vs TL. I think if they can sell ilx at invoice and they already making a good profit --I mean the accord lx is around 20k w similar engine

Last edited by xedap1998; 02-01-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by xedap1998

Unless I can get the ilx w premium for around 29.5 MSRP the tlx is much more attractive at 32k

TLX gain a lot of stuff for the same price or minimal increase vs TL. I think if they can sell ilx at invoice and they already making a good profit --I mean the accord lx is around 20k w similar engine
I think Acura is just showing what they can bring to the table at those price points. The upgrade from the 5AT to the 8DCT is big and it's probably more expensive but, from Acura's perspective, the 8DCT replaced the 5AT so it's just the transmission they offer now. Same with the standard tech, same with the Acura Sense, same with the engine. A big price increase would be bad because the current ILX hasn't really been worth the MSRP. As with the TLX pricing Acura is just resetting the table in terms of what they offer buyers.

Although the Autonews pricing does seem suspicious as it is literally the exact same price as the current model - even on non-MMC years the price generally goes up by $100-200 just for inflation purposes.

Acura does have six trims of the ILX now. The current pricing spread is only $4700. I imagine that will grow to at least $6 or $7K with six trims. If the ILX starts at $27,050 then a Tech+ ASpec ILX would have to be at least $33 or 34K right? That puts the Premium in basically the same pricing space as the current Premium model.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by xedap1998

I hope you're right. They've done a little price increase already on the TLX, after the introductory pricing, and the base model is now $32,365 with destination. My guess is that with destination the base 2016 ILX might be c. 3.5k less, or c. $28.9? But that would put the premium model at c. $31 with destination. That's only $1400 less than the base TLX. But it's still less. And some people just want a smaller car, never mind the price.

But, here's a very subjective game that I sometimes like to play while wasting my time thinking about cars: what would I pay for the added features for new model or an upgraded trim level. Again, it's subjective and would be different for each person, but let me see what I come up with comparing the 2016 ILX base vs the 2015:

2.4 201 hp engine vs 2.0 150 hp: $800
8 speed DCT with vs 5 speed: $800
upgraded interior/thicker glass/sound deadening: $500
restyled front and rear (like it!): $500
next gen ACE body structure: $500
JewelEye LED headlights: $300
improved suspension/handling/steering: $400
anything else: ??

Anyway, that adds up to $3800 by my subjective valuation. Hard to think they won't pass some of that on. But maybe. Acura needs a hit at the entry level. My guess is that we'll still be looking at a price increase of around a grand....

from Acura's press release on the 2016 ILX:

"All 2016 ILX models will be powered by a 2.4-liter, 16-valve, direct-injected DOHC i-VTEC engine with peak output of 201-horsepower at 6,800 rpm and 180 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,600 rpm, up 51 horsepower and 40 lb.-ft. compared to the outgoing 2.0-liter engine. The new engine is mated to an 8-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) with torque converter and paddle-controlled Sequential Sport Shift. It's the most advanced transmission in its competitive set, delivering incredibly quick, crisp and intuitive gear changes, including rev-matching down shifts, to achieve outstanding response and sporting performance with top-class fuel efficiency. The world's first DCT with a torque converter, Acura's 8-speed DCT provides off-the-line torque multiplication for smoother, more powerful launches that other DCTs cannot match....

The 2016 ILX gets numerous styling upgrades including restyled front and rear facias, front grille and rear LED combination lights, plus a restyled 17-inch, 10-spoke aluminum alloy wheel....

The 2016 ILX also benefits from numerous interior upgrades, including contrasting Euro-style stitching on the steering wheel, parking brake handle and shift knob, as well as new high-intensity silver trim for the passenger-side instrument panel....

The ILX body and chassis benefit from significant engineering changes that advance collision safety, increase body rigidity, improve cabin quietness and enhance sporty handling performance....

Utilizing Acura's next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, the 2016 ILX is designed to more efficiently absorb and disperse the energy in a frontal collision and targets a "GOOD" rating in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) small-overlap frontal crash test and an overall "TOP SAFETY PICK+" IIHS crash safety rating.

Cabin quietness is enhanced by additional noise-insulating materials, a thicker front-side door glass, noise attenuating wheels, and the addition of Active Noise Control technology. Steering responsiveness and linearity is also improved via a retuned suspension and a multitude of chassis design enhancements.

Last edited by benjaminh; 02-02-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Ilx

[QUOTE=benjaminh;15320260]I hope you're right. They've done a little price increase already on the TLX, after the introductory pricing, and the base model is now $32,365 with destination. My guess is that with destination the base 2016 ILX might be c. 3.5k less, or c. $28.9? But that would put the premium model at c. $31 with destination. That's only $1400 less than the base TLX. But it's still less. And some people just want a smaller car, never mind the price.

I wouldn't buy ILX at 28,9k starting. One of the many reason why the old ILX didnt sell is because for just a little bit more money they can have the TSX

The 2015 ILX has a huge profit margin over the civic EXL(not factoring in the discount). I think there is about 5k in price different MSRP between the 2 cars for very little different in equipment. They are making a profit for the civic EXL already at the price. So even with the added equipment they are still making a profit

They will make money on the trim/packaging but they have to keep the base car very low and i suspect they will sell a lot of premium model if it price right

The different between ILX and TLX is 4k which is pretty small by all mean. They probably raised the TLX to give the ILX a little more breathing room but i still expect most of the ILX to be under TLX price with possibly the highest trim with ASPEC-to be around 33,500
Old 02-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
"The 2016 ILX costs $27,970, including shipping, and hits dealerships in February."
Right now I'm convinced that the price from Automotive News for the 2016 ILX is a mistake.
Automotive News is a pretty good source. Also, this is the same figure was quoted in the press release for the new ad campaign "lightening in a bottle"
[QUOTE=xedap1998;15320669]
The different between ILX and TLX is 4k which is pretty small by all mean.
IMO, 4K at 30K is a pretty big difference to customers in this price range.
benjaminh (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 04:25 PM
2014 ILX 2.4 6mt black

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
2016 ilx gonna be a hit? Its hard to say but I dont think its going to be anything special. I think that the ilx regardless of the new re design with 8 speed tranny. its pretty much going to sit where it will always sit, with slight flutters in sales. From acura die hard fans to random people not many people like the car. its really hit or miss. plus acura is ruining its name. it seems that acura has no clue how to make a strong reliable automatic tranny for a v6. (99-03 tl,mdx) the new tlx has recalls on the transmission already!

in my opinion acura has its success through us true acura/honda fans. Acura will usually just coast on through. People who i talk to usually say things like... acuras are under powered. there out dated, its still a honda (what ever that supposed to mean).

I'v owned acuras my whole life. 4 integras,1.6el premium, 2003 acura tl type S Aspec. and now my acura ILX dynamic. the most comfortable out of them all is the TL hands down. But i love my ILX i love how unique it looks to the cars on the road it stands out. interior is drop dead gorgeous i love the interior. and for power?! Mine is the 6 speed and i can destroy a 3.7 awd 4th gen tl.. so how much more power do you need? people get branded and people hate.. the only thing i think acura is doing wrong is completely removing the manual transmissions. there is 2 things honda knows what to do and can lead in doing is making a strong engine and a strong smooth damn manual transmission!

Quick Reply: 2016 ILX: I predict it'll be a hit