2016 ILX: I predict it'll be a hit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by hoffdano
The new ILX is probably a fine car....But where you (and others on this thread) and I differ is where I think Acura needs to be. Acura is a stagnant brand. Acura sales in 2014 were up just 1.5% in 2014 over 2013. My guess is that sales of SUVs were good, but cars declined. Audi was up 15.2%. BMW was up 9.8%. Lexus was up 13.7%....

I don't think Acura should make any slow cars. The first ILX with 150 hp is an example of something I think they should never do....

Even if Acura wants to be less expensive than the Germans (that is fine with me), they should still clearly approach them in overall performance. The halo of the new NSX will be wasted if they don't offer other vehicles that capture the excitement and spirit of the NSX....
I read Acura's situation differently, although I admit that 2015 will probably tell the tale one way or the other.

Acura has long been competitive in luxury SUVs, and in some ways even class-leading, but as you say they've been weak when it comes to cars. I agree they shouldn't have had a 150 hp ILX for a luxury brand, even though otherwise it was a good car.

But now I think that the ILX has a class leading power to weight ratio for entry-level luxury cars less than c.$33k. And the TLX also a competitive car, but has only been for sale for a relatively short time.

The TLX is already outselling the two cars it replaces, and my guess is that it will slowly build momentum.

I actually think that by this summer the bestselling car in the Acura lineup might be the 2016 ILX. For people wanting performance, luxury, features, and reliability it offers pretty big bang for the buck.

So, overall, you're right that Acura fell behind a bit in sales during CY 2014. But I think 2015 is going to be a year when they keep pace with the market, and by 2016 they might even be outpacing it. Just a guess. The proof will be in the sales numbers as soon as 4-5 months from now. We'll see....
Old 02-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
It's as if there is a script for AcuraBashing to be followed.
  1. Start by saying how you love the brand
  2. Tell how many you've owned
  3. Cite the pros of the model in question
  4. Mention the competition considered
  5. Conclude with the decision to leave the brand
  6. Add a common internet meme (Honda lost is mojo, Ito needs to go etc)
Sorry, but I hate to be rude but the formula is getting old.
The following 4 users liked this post by Colin:
CoquiTSX (02-27-2015), CybrRdr (02-27-2015), panamera125 (02-26-2015), WheelMcCoy (02-28-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Duuude. So damn true. Acura hater starter kit. "but I love the tl my mom gave me".
Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
i still think that the back is ugly... no edges at all...
Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason the script is old is that it has been real for so long. The reason for your points 1-3 is to try to avoid offending the loyalists, who are blind.

Acura is an endangered species. Definitely not dead and assuredly viable. But Honda needs to act or let it slide to Lincoln-Mercury status.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:41 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by benjaminh
I read Acura's situation differently, although I admit that 2015 will probably tell the tale one way or the other.

Acura has long been competitive in luxury SUVs, and in some ways even class-leading, but as you say they've been weak when it comes to cars. I agree they shouldn't have had a 150 hp ILX for a luxury brand, even though otherwise it was a good car.

But now I think that the ILX has a class leading power to weight ratio for entry-level luxury cars less than c.$33k. And the TLX also a competitive car, but has only been for sale for a relatively short time.

The TLX is already outselling the two cars it replaces, and my guess is that it will slowly build momentum.

I actually think that by this summer the bestselling car in the Acura lineup might be the 2016 ILX. For people wanting performance, luxury, features, and reliability it offers pretty big bang for the buck.

So, overall, you're right that Acura fell behind a bit in sales during CY 2014. But I think 2015 is going to be a year when they keep pace with the market, and by 2016 they might even be outpacing it. Just a guess. The proof will be in the sales numbers as soon as 4-5 months from now. We'll see....
Highlight is bolded. I want Acura to build GREAT cars. I want engines as magnificent as the one in my 18 year old NSX. Have you driven an NSX? Heard it wail at 8000 RPM? Have you seen its aluminum suspension pieces?

Compare to any car based on a Civic or Accord.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Have you seen its aluminum suspension pieces?
The CR-Z based on the Fit uses aluminum front arms, the Accord based RL/RLX use lots of aluminum suspension pieces and even carbon fiber in the driveshaft.
avoid offending the loyalists, who are blind.
I forgot to add 'blind loyalists' to the internet meme. My bad.

Last edited by Colin; 02-26-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:37 AM
Racer

Highlight is bolded. I want Acura to build GREAT cars. I want engines as magnificent as the one in my 18 year old NSX. Have you driven an NSX? Heard it wail at 8000 RPM? Have you seen its aluminum suspension pieces?

Well, I can go up to 7000 rpm in my 2008 Accord EXL....lol

I'd like to drive an NSX, but I very much doubt I'll ever have the chance. But, as you know, the all new NSX is calling you if you want something like that. The new NSX is going to be a great car.

The Audi A3 is based on the Golf platform, just as the ILX is based on the Civic platform. The metal bones of each of these platforms is good, and so there's no shame in either case. Each has new styling, new suspension parts, etc., etc., etc.

The 2015 ILX was a good car, but now with its 2.4 engine and 8 speed dual clutch transmission with Acura exclusive-torque converter, along with a large number of other upgrades, I would argue it is a great car in its class. It's been getting very strong reviews from the automotive press. If the Audi A3 1.8 is a "great" car, in any case, then the 2016 ILX is greater—faster, safer, likely more reliable, more advanced transmission, higher mpg, larger trunk, etc.

Bottom line: the 2016 Acura ILX beats the Audi A3 1.8 in most ways, regardless of price.

But then the Acura costs c. $5-10k less, which goes right in the pocket of the owner.

But for you, if you want and need AWD and getting to 60 in less than 6 seconds, plus the prestige of the Audi, and find an msrp of 40k worth it, then that's great! The Audi A3 2.0 AWD is a good choice.

Audi's are great cars. I happen to think that Acura is designing and building great cars now too.

In an earlier post, you mentioned that an Acura TLX should be faster than an Accord V-6. Well, it happens that the Accord V-6 is the fastest car in its class. I think C & D tested it as being faster to 60 than not just a BMW 320i but even a BMW 328i. That's fast enough imho! What you're getting with a top of the line TLX is AWD, all new styling inside and out, many more luxury features, etc. etc. It's definitely differentiated quite a bit from the Accord. But faster? No, that's just not needed.

Last edited by benjaminh; 02-27-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 AM
10th Gear

The CR-Z based on the Fit uses aluminum front arms, the Accord based RL/RLX use lots of aluminum suspension pieces and even carbon fiber in the driveshaft.

I forgot to add 'blind loyalists' to the internet meme. My bad.
I think the CR-Z would be a great car, instead of a confused hybrid, if it had a great engine.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by benjaminh
Well, I can go up to 7000 rpm in my 2008 Accord EXL....lol

I'd like to drive an NSX, but I very much doubt I'll ever have the chance. But, as you know, the all new NSX is calling you if you want something like that. The new NSX is going to be a great car.

The Audi A3 is based on the Golf platform, just as the ILX is based on the Civic platform. The metal bones of each of these platforms is good, and so there's no shame in either case. Each has new styling, new suspension parts, etc., etc., etc.

The 2015 ILX was a good car, but now with its 2.4 engine and 8 speed dual clutch transmission with Acura exclusive-torque converter, along with a large number of other upgrades, I would argue it is a great car in its class. It's been getting very strong reviews from the automotive press. If the Audi A3 1.8 is a "great" car, in any case, then the 2016 ILX is greater—faster, safer, likely more reliable, more advanced transmission, higher mpg, larger trunk, etc.

Bottom line: the 2016 Acura ILX beats the Audi A3 1.8 in most ways, regardless of price.

But then the Acura costs c. $5-10k less, which goes right in the pocket of the owner.

But for you, if you want and need AWD and getting to 60 in less than 6 seconds, plus the prestige of the Audi, and find an msrp of 40k worth it, then that's great! The Audi A3 2.0 AWD is a good choice.

Audi's are great cars. I happen to think that Acura is designing and building great cars now too.

In an earlier post, you mentioned that an Acura TLX should be faster than an Accord V-6. Well, it happens that the Accord V-6 is the fastest car in its class. I think C & D tested it as being faster to 60 than not just a BMW 320i but even a BMW 328i. That's fast enough imho! What you're getting with a top of the line TLX is AWD, all new styling inside and out, many more luxury features, etc. etc. It's definitely differentiated quite a bit from the Accord. But faster? No, that's just not needed.
The 2016 ILX may indeed be a better car than an A3 1.8. Or comparable at less cost.

Your recap of the TLX is a good summary of your perspective vs. mine. I don't think Acura cars should be Honda cars with more tech and possibly AWD. I think Acura cars should approach best in class and showcase Honda engineering. An Acura MUST outperform the Honda it is based on.

We may not agree on that and I accept that.

I am excited about the new NSX. It has in it what I think Honda is capable of - a radically new powertrain, with an exotic body and a world class chassis. I'm afraid I can't afford one - so I will continue to drive my 1997 NSX.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:38 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 841 Likes on 524 Posts
The new ILX is probably a fine car. I came here to just explain why a person that owns four Honda vehicles (and a Honda V4 motorcyle in the past) chose an A3 instead.

But where you (and others on this thread) and I differ is where I think Acura needs to be. Acura is a stagnant brand. Acura sales in 2014 were up just 1.5% in 2014 over 2013. My guess is that sales of SUVs were good, but cars declined. Audi was up 15.2%. BMW was up 9.8%. Lexus was up 13.7%. Honda was up just 1%.

As it stands today, Acura is a step from Honda, much like Lincoln is step up from Ford. Until the new NSX arrives, Acura has really nothing to shout about to people who appreciate great cars. Honda was once one for very best engine designers in the world. They built some cars that had an attitude, like the Integra Type R and the NSX.

I don't think Acura should make any slow cars. The first ILX with 150 hp is an example of something I think they should never do.

I agree that they don't need to build peaky engines that require 7000 rpm to get the vehicle moving. That has been part of Honda DNA for a long time. But there is nothing left to gain from VTEC version 10.

Even if Acura wants to be less expensive than the Germans (that is fine with me), they should still clearly approach them in overall performance. The halo of the new NSX will be wasted if they don't offer other vehicles that capture the excitement and spirit of the NSX.

There is no way the TLX shouldn't be noticeably quicker than an Accord V6. It isn't.

This is a corporate decision for Honda to make. I am just saying what I would do. I don't expect you to agree. At current course and speed I think Acura will fall further behind most of the "luxury" brands.
2014 isn't the best year for Acura in terms of sedan sales, that's for sure. As we all know, 2014 was the final year for TL and TSX. If you look at their sales in 2014, you'd see that their sales were very low as Acura was slowing down the production rate. It's also worth noting that these two cars were entering their 6th model year, meaning the demand wouldn't be that high anyway. We also know the 2013-2015 ILX wasn't that popular and by 2014 the sales number was quite low. The RLX has been selling poorly too. I think that explains the low sedan sales figures.

For 2015 though, there's the new TLX that is selling quite well so far. The new 2016 ILX is also looking much more competitive against the likes of A3 1.8T and CLA250. I think we will see a healthy increase of sedan sales in 2015, even if the RLX continues to sell poorly.

In addition, Acura is updating both RDX and MDX. They have been doing very well in their segments. With the updates, the momentum should at least continue.

I don't think speed is much of an issue for the TLX V6. It might not be any faster than the Accord V6, but the same can be said about the similarly priced 328i, C300, IS350, A4 2.0T, and ATS 3.6. The Accord is one of the fastest, if not the fastest mid-size family sedans. We are talking about 0-60mph in 5.5s and 1/4 mile in 14.1@101mph. You will need a 335i, C400, G37, or S4 to beat it. With that said, what the TLX needs is a range topping performance trim, such as a Type S, with a healthy boost of power along with some handling/visual enhancements.
benjaminh (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Racer

At Edmunds.com "graphicguy" has posted this on the entry-level luxury forum. He's owned an Acura TL as well as an Audi S4.

"I've owned both the S4 and the TL SH AWD. TL SH AWD is mighty close to the Audi. No, the TL wasn't as fast as the S4, but it was every bit as adept in the handling dept and was very confidence inspiring to drive. It matched the S4 in the feature category. Service costs on the TL vs the S4 were miniscule in comparison. MPG was certainly better on the TL vs the S4, too. And, for the money I paid (under $40K) for the TL SH AWD Advance it offered huge value.

Don't get me wrong, I liked my S4. Didn't like the reliability (lack thereof) of the S4 and didn't like the MPG, nor the maintenance costs, either."
internalaudit (03-04-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Hoffdano your review is good but your opinion is shit. The idea that they should never have made the first gen ilx is completely trumped when you then state the ilx has more safety plus navigation over an audi that is 5k more.

Sounds like you think the ilx is crazy because it isn't 5k more expensive with more power and less luxury. What a crappy idea.

As for your choice being a no brainer. Some of us can't simply throw another 5k on the car they are buying or leasing. 5k would be a deal breaker for people already stepping up from a civic to the acura... Or for me... An integra to the ilx
I just drove the 2016 ILX premium and must say Acura has definitely upped the game in this vehicle compared to last yrs ILX. Brakes are noticeably better and the engine tranny are so good. The new ILX feels stouter and way more comfortable although I wouldn't say it is much quieter. In your case the good news is you have something to move up to at a reasonable cost.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ian Andrews:
benjaminh (02-27-2015), internalaudit (03-04-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I will be testing one tomorrow...can't wait!!
benjaminh (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
I will be testing one tomorrow...can't wait!!
Hope you'll give us a full report! Hope you have time for a full run through, inside and out, plus taking it out on the highway. Do you know what model you're testing?
Old 02-27-2015, 06:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I certainly will give you guys all the details about the + the - and everything in between. In Canada, our trims are different and was told that they are both Premium model, so that would be the middle of the pack.

As far as I know....we have:

ILX
ILX Premium
ILX Tech
ILX A-Spec

They have a silver and black in stock for people to test drive....They can't be sold yet I think. Even the Acura.ca configurator is not showing the 2016 ILX.

The test drive will be in town, on the highway and I will pay close attention to how the transmission shifts knowing what I know about the TLX I4
benjaminh (02-27-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not with out a Manual

with out the M/T it is going to be another boring sedan. Of course the Civic Type R engine would help to liven it up.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by distortionilx
with out the M/T it is going to be another boring sedan. Of course the Civic Type R engine would help to liven it up.
Yeah you beat that dead horse distortion. Beat it good.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by iforyou
2014 isn't the best year for Acura in terms of sedan sales, that's for sure. As we all know, 2014 was the final year for TL and TSX. If you look at their sales in 2014, you'd see that their sales were very low as Acura was slowing down the production rate. It's also worth noting that these two cars were entering their 6th model year, meaning the demand wouldn't be that high anyway. We also know the 2013-2015 ILX wasn't that popular and by 2014 the sales number was quite low. The RLX has been selling poorly too. I think that explains the low sedan sales figures.

For 2015 though, there's the new TLX that is selling quite well so far. The new 2016 ILX is also looking much more competitive against the likes of A3 1.8T and CLA250. I think we will see a healthy increase of sedan sales in 2015, even if the RLX continues to sell poorly.

In addition, Acura is updating both RDX and MDX. They have been doing very well in their segments. With the updates, the momentum should at least continue.

I don't think speed is much of an issue for the TLX V6. It might not be any faster than the Accord V6, but the same can be said about the similarly priced 328i, C300, IS350, A4 2.0T, and ATS 3.6. The Accord is one of the fastest, if not the fastest mid-size family sedans. We are talking about 0-60mph in 5.5s and 1/4 mile in 14.1@101mph. You will need a 335i, C400, G37, or S4 to beat it. With that said, what the TLX needs is a range topping performance trim, such as a Type S, with a healthy boost of power along with some handling/visual enhancements.
I hope Acura gets back on track. The RLX vexes me. Acura packs it with acronym technology, but tunes it to ride like a Buick.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Calgarian

Originally Posted by Ian Andrews
I just drove the 2016 ILX premium and must say Acura has definitely upped the game in this vehicle compared to last yrs ILX. Brakes are noticeably better and the engine tranny are so good. The new ILX feels stouter and way more comfortable although I wouldn't say it is much quieter. In your case the good news is you have something to move up to at a reasonable cost.
Drove the ILX again last night and although the High beams are not LED they do offer a white light similar to the low beams. Once again the thunking in the rear suspension is not present in the 2016.
Definitively a solid feeling vehicle which should appeal to someone looking for a lot more luxury in a smaller package.
Engine and power train are excellent. You can actually accelerate from 100km/hr right up to 140km/hr in quick fashion.
Seats are way more comfy not sure if they are softer or if the adjustability just makes them so.
Still feel the tire noise is excessive however the car on the right road surface is quite. The new standard features are all welcome. I do miss not having the IDS feature, heated steering wheel and I hated having to use the stick shift verses the buttons on my TLX.
All in all this car will be a hit for Acura as long as they keep the lease pymt in check. Good job Acura!
internalaudit (03-04-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Drove the ILX again last night and although the High beams are not LED they do offer a white light similar to the low beams.
Are things different in Canada? The US site clearly says "10 separate LED lamps..." and was discussed ad nauseum here:
https://acurazine.com/forums/acura-i.../#post15333216
Old 02-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Drove the ILX again last night and although the High beams are not LED they do offer a white light similar to the low beams. Once again the thunking in the rear suspension is not present in the 2016.
Definitively a solid feeling vehicle which should appeal to someone looking for a lot more luxury in a smaller package.
Engine and power train are excellent. You can actually accelerate from 100km/hr right up to 140km/hr in quick fashion.
Seats are way more comfy not sure if they are softer or if the adjustability just makes them so.
Still feel the tire noise is excessive however the car on the right road surface is quite. The new standard features are all welcome. I do miss not having the IDS feature, heated steering wheel and I hated having to use the stick shift verses the buttons on my TLX.
All in all this car will be a hit for Acura as long as they keep the lease pymt in check. Good job Acura!
LOL at saying there is no thunking in the 2016.
I doubt you've driven enough to make that claim.
Also my 2014 never made the thunking sound. Who woulda thought?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

I have no thunk in my '13
Old 02-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

I have no thunk in my '13
Yeeep.
Get one or two loud mouths to complain once a month about their isolated issues and suddenly it's a huge issue all ilxs see.
Now the 16 is considered better because it one or two don't have the issue only a handful of first gens saw? Brilliant.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:17 AM
Calgarian

Originally Posted by usdmJON
LOL at saying there is no thunking in the 2016.
I doubt you've driven enough to make that claim.
Also my 2014 never made the thunking sound. Who woulda thought?
Well i own a 2014 ILX and a RDX and for that matter a TLX and the suspension thump in the back is improved. if you hit a big enough bump naturally you will hear some thumping but compared to either the older ILX or current RDX the improvement is noticeable.
Also in regards to the LED high beam issue the two outer lens are definitely different in design from a TLX. In checking with the service manual the headlights are LEDS both low and high beam.
BTW have you driven the 2016 ILX? I have had it out both on a test drive when it first arrived and overnight.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Racer

2016 ILX compared with Audi A3 1.8

One of the most direct competitors for the 2016 ILX, as we all know, is the 2015 Audi A3 1.8. Both are very good cars, but here are few factual comparisons....

2016 ILX base
$27,900
0-60: 6.2 (both according to C & D)
hp 201
trunk: 12.3
8 speed DSG
29 mpg comb

2015 Audi A3 1.8
$29,900
0-60: 6.5
hp 170
trunk 10
6 speed DSG
27 mpg

Each one has advantages and disadvantages when it comes to standard equipment. The A3 has standard leather, standard XM in a better standard stereo, and split folding rear seats, none of which comes standard on the ILX.

But the ILX has standard the following things lacking on the base A3: moonroof, heated seats, LED headlights, rearview camera, smart entry/putshbutton start, USB port, AcuraLink, 2 years longer power train warranty, Siri Eyes Free, etc.

Obviously somewhat difficult to compare, but I'd say that the ILX standards are "worth" substantially more to me than the standards on the A3.

If you add a moonroof, pushbutton start, heated seats, back up camera, etc. to the A3 then the price seems to inflate to c. $37k or so. But the Acura model that would compete with that would be the ILX premium which is c. $30k. That is a significant price difference.

The Audi has more prestige than the Acura, but the ILX is likely to be more reliable and have a lower cost of ownership than the A3.

Last edited by benjaminh; 03-01-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I certainly will give you guys all the details about the + the - and everything in between.

The test drive will be in town, on the highway and I will pay close attention to how the transmission shifts knowing what I know about the TLX I4
Very curious about your impressions regarding the transmission. Please give it the full treatment. My dealer plays dumb when I inquire about DCT tranny reported problems "we haven't heard anything like that".
Old 03-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Very curious about your impressions regarding the transmission. Please give it the full treatment. My dealer plays dumb when I inquire about DCT tranny reported problems "we haven't heard anything like that".
Are you really surprised by that from your dealer? I am not.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Does anyone know if fog lights on Aspec model are LED? Accesory list show LED fog lights are available for all models.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

See my review of the ILX - I have started a thread on it.

I am not surprised that your dealer is not acknowledging the problem about the transmission. As "hondu" stated, are you surprised? It is hard to build trust when you feel that they are not leveling with you....If they aren't worried, then why do they feel the need to hide the information?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Calgarian

Originally Posted by JTRADAR61
Does anyone know if fog lights on Aspec model are LED? Accesory list show LED fog lights are available for all models.
They are not LED's which also means the lens are glass.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Suzuka Master

As "hondu" stated, are you surprised? It is hard to build trust when you feel that they are not leveling with you....If they aren't worried, then why do they feel the need to hide the information?
As you know, I'm not in service but I often ask them if they are getting any feedback on the eight speed and they always say no. Of course, they could be lying to me but it seems unlikely. I'm beginning to theorize that the only people that experience a "problem" are people who populate forums. For everyone else, it is just a transmission.it does it's job without calling attention to itself and that's what they want from it.

To me, it's much like the thump issue. I am pretty confident I have never heard it in almost 3 years of ownership. I have also not had a single customer comment on it. Does this mean that my car is silent as a tomb when I'm driving? Of course not, but I expect a car in motion to make noise. But I certainly never heard anything that creates a WTF moment.

Perhaps it's all down to the (collective) Internet's inability to describe nuance? What is "too much noise" or what is "two firm a ride versus two soft a ride"? Or, on an entirely different level, what makes one race car have "too much oversteer" while to his teammate "it's easy to rotate"?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Also in regards to the LED high beam issue the two outer lens are definitely different in design from a TLX. In checking with the service manual the headlights are LEDS both low and high beam.
Just to clarify, the outer three LEDs are your low beams while the inner two (closer to the grill) are your highbeams.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by hondu
Are you really surprised by that from your dealer? I am not.
I actually am surprised. This is a dealer that I have worked with since 1988 and where I have done all of my business with. They know that I informed on the product. The fact that they fail to acknowledge that at least some people are having some issues with both transmissions is very disappointing. I would prefer an "we are aware of the issues and are working hard to produce the quality product that you expect from Acura"!

Weather....I will read your reviews with great interest. ILX is looking appealing if the DCT issues are resolved.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

The fact that they fail to acknowledge that at least some people are having some issues with both transmissions is very disappointing. I would prefer an "we are aware of the issues and are working hard to produce the quality product that you expect from Acura
Could there be legal issues involved? Maybe they have been coached in some way not to discuss such things?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Could there be legal issues involved? Maybe they have been coached in some way not to discuss such things?
Exactly. Lower employees, even the managers at local dealerships are kept out of the loop for a reason.
They can say dumb shit and word things in a way that could make acura look bad. So they remain silent until they know exactly how to approach the public.

For example. When someone gets hurt on our gun range employees should say they don't know what the hell happened until they are told exactly what to say. Even the words "I think someone got hit by a bullet" sounds 100x worse than "A customer was firing steel rounds on steel targets which resulted in a ricochet. We have rules in place against steel jacketed rounds for this very reason."

Wording changes everything and people below pay grade simply don't know what to say and when to say it so that things don't blow out of proportion.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Colin...I think you could be right about the leagal aspect. Isn't there some sort of legal case going down with the TLX and its transmission?

With regards to the ILX "thump"....I am not one to complain for the sake of complaining although I know many people on forums do like to exagerate things a bit. I can assure you that the noise in the ILX, and especially the RDX, is real. It is more pronounced in cold weather because on my RDX, it was worse from Nov-March and then things would be barely noticeable. On the ILX, it is not as bad because its a sedan while the RDX had the open area by the nature of an SUV
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Isn't there some sort of legal case going down with the TLX and its transmission?

It is more pronounced in cold weather because on my RDX, it was worse from Nov-March and then things would be barely noticeable.
Other than the stop sale for the 9AT, which is fully resolved for unsold inventory (and being resolved for cars in service) I'm not aware of anything outstanding for TLX. Do you know of something?

The thump issue in cold weather is something I cannot comment on. However, I always try to bring logic to the party. I continue to reject the thought that it's shocks+cold that is the issue. Have you ever felt a shock absorber tube after a few miles of driving? It is quite warm if not hot from the friction of the piston in the tube. Could the temperature differential be the problem? Maybe initially, but I have to think that once it's hot to the touch, there is no differential.

I continue to think that it's something that does not warm a lot due movement, the pillow mount, sway bar bushings, spring perch or worst case, the sheetmetal at the mounting point is flexing.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I am far from being an expert on suspension so you may be correct. I just know that the noise in the RDX was only during the cold months and teh same with the ILX.

Maybe it is only the rubber on the top of the rear shocks? Like I said, I can't explain what causes it and I am sure that if a skinny Frenchman knows the answer, a bunch of smart engineers at Acura would have solved this by now. I know you have read the RDX forums and there are many people having teh same issue there.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
Stopped in the local Acura dealer on my way home Friday to pick up a few things for my TL.
Black A-Spec premium in the showroom. Seemed nice sitting still, the only 2 they had outside hadn't been PDId yet, so I couldn't get it out for a drive.

The 'clothes iron' front end as has been mentioned before is not nearly as pronounced in person, and the 2-tone directional wheels as well.

Quick Reply: 2016 ILX: I predict it'll be a hit