NEW tv. NEED YOUR OPINIONS

Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEW tv. NEED YOUR OPINIONS

I am searching to purchase with in a month, a 50-55 inch tv. I am looking into spending 1000-1500 max.

I have decided on LCD (looks best in my opinion)

I am also liking some LED/LCD models. Just because of how thin they are.

Any suggestions? Maybe also why you suggest it? Some tech tips?

I am leading towards, Samsung, LG and some nice Vizio that say RazrLED.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
if you go with any sort of LED model, go to AVSforum and search for these terms "Ghosting" "waterfalls" "cloud" and see what results you get.

A lot of LED TV's have issues where random white patches appear such as in dark scenes with white accents such as scenes with star's or the credits...

Samsung has some pretty nice offerings right now, esp the 7000,8000 and 9000 series TV's.

EDIT: I forgot to include that LED TV's are probably the best TV for mounting and for power savings. Second would be CCFL LCD tv's but they use a tad bit more power and are a bit thicker. I love my Samsung LN52B750!
Old 05-04-2011, 03:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
My parents got a Samsung LED TV, and it left the factory without the proper paneling (or w/e you want to call it) in the back. Light from the window basically shone through the back of the TV and of course messed up picture quality.

They did get it replaced from the factory, but just something to consider.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
EDIT: I forgot to include that LED TV's are probably the best TV for mounting and for power savings. Second would be CCFL LCD tv's but they use a tad bit more power and are a bit thicker. I love my Samsung LN52B750!
LEDs will use less power, but I don't see how they're better for mounting. Granted, an LED would stick out from the wall less, but a traditional flat panel isn't hard to wall mount, and they don't look bad. All flat panels look better mounted, in my opinion.

Samsung is definitely the way to go for LCD. I love my LN52A650...still going strong after TONS of use (way more than most people).
Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
My parents got a Samsung LED TV, and it left the factory without the proper paneling (or w/e you want to call it) in the back. Light from the window basically shone through the back of the TV and of course messed up picture quality.

They did get it replaced from the factory, but just something to consider.
That's definitely more an exception then the norm. I've purchased no less then 5 Samsung TVs of all kinds (DLP, Plasma, LCD) over the last 6 years and that's never happened.

I'd go with what chill_dog said... can't go wrong with a Sammy! I also like the LG's and even have a Sony LCD which has been great. Currently have my eye on the new Sharp Aquos 70"
Old 05-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by chill_dog
LEDs will use less power, but I don't see how they're better for mounting. Granted, an LED would stick out from the wall less, but a traditional flat panel isn't hard to wall mount, and they don't look bad. All flat panels look better mounted, in my opinion.

Samsung is definitely the way to go for LCD. I love my LN52A650...still going strong after TONS of use (way more than most people).
Just because they are somewhat lighter and thinner. I've seen some people do some pretty stupid stuff with wall mounting a TV...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Just because they are somewhat lighter and thinner. I've seen some people do some pretty stupid stuff with wall mounting a TV...
LOL... I'm sure... but if you buy the right mount, it won't really matter. We have an LCD wall mounted above our fireplace. It weighs 83 pounds. Our mount can handle 175 pounds... which is more then enough. So yeah, LED's are lighter, but again, if mounted properly, no difference between LED or LCD...

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

We have 2 LG tvs... no idea on model numbers but one of them is that ''new'' super thin model.. a 42 and a 50 inch... and we have one lil baby Vizio. I prefer the LG's 100% and have never ever had a problem with them. I had a Sony and suddenly it had some green globby thing in the corner that kept growing over the picture. Totally Love LG!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
LOL... I'm sure... but if you buy the right mount, it won't really matter. We have an LCD wall mounted above our fireplace. It weighs 83 pounds. Our mount can handle 175 pounds... which is more then enough. So yeah, LED's are lighter, but again, if mounted properly, no difference between LED or LCD...
Probably not as stupid as some of the stuff I have seen. And sadly, some by supposed "professionals" that were hired to install. Also, more then the actual mount have to be considered when installing a tv. I've seen 50 inch TV's hung with plastic anchors that came with a decent bracket into sheetrock. I have a customer I am trying to convince to go with a front projection system because his basement was recently finished with a floating wall system. There are no studs. The wall material attaches to metal strips on the ceiling and floor. He wants a 65" Plasma. With a fixed screen I can hang something that is roughly 80 lbs less and distributed over a wider area. It is very possible he will hire someone else to install a TV still. I just hope his little kids don't get in the habit of standing under it.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by UA7_ChicK
We have 2 LG tvs... no idea on model numbers but one of them is that ''new'' super thin model.. a 42 and a 50 inch... and we have one lil baby Vizio. I prefer the LG's 100% and have never ever had a problem with them. I had a Sony and suddenly it had some green globby thing in the corner that kept growing over the picture. Totally Love LG!!!
I've been fairly impressed with the new LG LED line. I would recommend staying away from Vizio. The picture quality is not on the same level as more established manufacturers, and more importantly to many, they are impossible to fix. They are essentially a throw away product should something happen to it.

I just finished a project up in Cape Cod with 6 TVs. I did 5 LG LED's and one LG LCD. The LCD was a 22" in the Kitchen, with 2 32" LEDs in the guest rooms, 2 42" LEDs, one in the office, one in the master, and a 55" LED in the family room. They went with DirecTV and only 2 HD boxes. This is just their vacation home. I was very impressed with the quality of the SD picture on the 3 LEDs that were fed SD. The HD content was fantastic on the two with HD content being fed. The 55" had incredible color contrast, blacks and an amazingly realistic look. I put it up there, if not better then the recent Samsung LEDs I have worked with. Sony has nice sets but you typically will pay a little more just for the Sony name. They also always do something that seems to throw a wrench into the gears so to speak. The most recent was a 55" LED that had the mounting holes all the way to the bottom of the set. With the particular install in this case, it would not work. The bracket was being recessed in the wall over a fireplace, and the box was about 13" above the mantle. This would result in the TV being 13" above the mantle and almost hitting the ceiling. I had him return it and get a Samsung which had the proper mounting hole position and resulted in the TV being only 4-5 inches over the mantle. If you are wall mounting, it is something to consider.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
I've been fairly impressed with the new LG LED line. I would recommend staying away from Vizio. The picture quality is not on the same level as more established manufacturers, and more importantly to many, they are impossible to fix. They are essentially a throw away product should something happen to it.
I have to agree with you on Vizio. That was my first flat screen. When they first came out and were expensive. My whole experience with that tv has been nothing short of underwhelming.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4

I just finished a project up in Cape Cod with 6 TVs. I did 5 LG LED's and one LG LCD. The LCD was a 22" in the Kitchen, with 2 32" LEDs in the guest rooms, 2 42" LEDs, one in the office, one in the master, and a 55" LED in the family room. They went with DirecTV and only 2 HD boxes. This is just their vacation home. I was very impressed with the quality of the SD picture on the 3 LEDs that were fed SD. The HD content was fantastic on the two with HD content being fed. The 55" had incredible color contrast, blacks and an amazingly realistic look. I put it up there, if not better then the recent Samsung LEDs I have worked with. Sony has nice sets but you typically will pay a little more just for the Sony name. They also always do something that seems to throw a wrench into the gears so to speak. The most recent was a 55" LED that had the mounting holes all the way to the bottom of the set. With the particular install in this case, it would not work. The bracket was being recessed in the wall over a fireplace, and the box was about 13" above the mantle. This would result in the TV being 13" above the mantle and almost hitting the ceiling. I had him return it and get a Samsung which had the proper mounting hole position and resulted in the TV being only 4-5 inches over the mantle. If you are wall mounting, it is something to consider.

Aren't LG's "typically" cheaper to buy than Samsung?

Good to hear that LG is coming along. Samsung still produces a wonderful product, but equal performing products, which are cheaper... Good for the consumer!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scrib

Good to hear that LG is coming along. Samsung still produces a wonderful product, but equal performing products, which are cheaper... Good for the consumer!
I dont remember the price difference when I was shopping. I typically don't pay attention to brands when looking at tvs. I just go for the better picture. Ended up with LG both times for the last two TVs. My fiance's sister has a Samsung and it's got a nice picture.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Scrib

"Typically" yes. Not on all models thought. Samsung is usually a little more. Not a whole lot that it should sway your decision. I base the decisions when I quote a job on other factors, such as size, mounting holes, input locations. For instance the Samsung LEDs come in 40" then up to 46". The LG LED fits in the middle at 42". If I need to fill an opening in a cabinet or wall built in location, that difference could be huge, one way or the other. I already talked about the mounting hole locations. Another issue would be the inputs. If you are planning on using a flush mount to get the tv as close to the wall as possible, the Samsung would be a better choice. The HDMI inputs (all of them actually) are in a recessed spot aiming down. The LG has them in the standard spot on the back facing rear. The HDMI wire cannot be bent and even with an angled adapter, would not work.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Banned

^^^ Agree... the HDMI on the LG is a pain in the ass...
Old 05-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts
just a warning with the samsung LED tvs, i dont know if its changed on the 2011 models, but our 2010 model, if you have more than 1 component/composite device you're gonna need a switch or something because the LED TV we have only has 1 compoment/composite connection.

of course it has like 4 HDMI ports.

just letting you know.