Home Theater Discussion Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 12:48 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Doom878
Nice! I read the 930E was much brighter which is what you need for HDR
It is brighter from what I can tell and the zone lighting is more precise. I re-watched grand tour episodes the other day just to see what 4K HDR content looks like and it was stunning.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Nerds
Old 10-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
Glad to hear Sam!

Speaking of HDR, I need Dolby Vision to hurry up and win this format war or at least get on an Xbox so I can start buying UHD's. I refuse to buy anymore Blu Rays unless 3D.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Bump.

My 11 year old Mistubishi LCD is showing it's age. Something happened whereby one of the HDMI inputs may have shit the bed. Or I can only use two out of three at a time. Not sure.

Anyway, Wifey gave me wood when she said "should we just be impulsive and go get a new one?" :giggity:

I have been happily enjoying audio through my 5.1 non-HDMI Yamaha RX-V596 that I have owned for 20 years.

My HDMI sources currently are a cable box and a Roku. I run optical from the TV to the receiver for the audio.

Here's what I am considering:

Costco has the Samsung 65" QN65Q65FNFXZA for $1450 (after 15% off) and includes 3yrs Square Trade on top of the 2 year warranty.
https://www.costco.com/Samsung-65%22...100412586.html

If I am upgrading the TV, I want to upgrade the receiver, as well, and was looking at the Yamaha RX-V 585BL for $349.
Amazon Amazon

Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:59 AM
Team Owner

On rtings.com this Vizio ranks a little higher plus it has HDR10 and Dolby Vision which is the new format war of HDR which is what makes the colors pop when you watch certain shows on an upgraded Netflix plan, UHD discs (HDR and Dolby Vision), or other legit 4k sources like YouTube. I believe Samsung only supports HDR and may eventually get HDR+.

https://www.costco.com/Vizio-65%22-C...100424390.html

If you don't care about maxing out your 4k/HDR watching, then you can opt for a mid range TV rather than going for a Sammy QLED or something similar.

The receiver seems solid and is compliant with 2.2 HDCP though I'm not an audiophile. Should suit your needs plus you can add a sub and extra satellites.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

On rtings.com this Vizio ranks a little higher plus it has HDR10 and Dolby Vision which is the new format war of HDR which is what makes the colors pop when you watch certain shows on an upgraded Netflix plan, UHD discs (HDR and Dolby Vision), or other legit 4k sources like YouTube. I believe Samsung only supports HDR and may eventually get HDR+.

https://www.costco.com/Vizio-65%22-C...100424390.html

If you don't care about maxing out your 4k/HDR watching, then you can opt for a mid range TV rather than going for a Sammy QLED or something similar.

The receiver seems solid and is compliant with 2.2 HDCP though I'm not an audiophile. Should suit your needs plus you can add a sub and extra satellites.
Thank for the info Doom! That Vizio was placed right next to the Sammy I was looking at, and it looked really nice. I know Vizio has come a long way, but I guess I am just leery. Vizio did a quick "Hyundai", going from low end manufacturer to really good stuff, but I guess I still taste the stigma. With it's specs though, maybe it's worth it.

Plus, I don't currently have any 4K sources, although I ma sure that will change. Honestly, 1080 looks pretty damn good to me at this screen size.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
I'd go for the Samsung over the Vizio as well!
Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

Vizio outranks ALL the LED's. Only OLED is superior which is crazy. Plus the Sammy you show isn't the best Sammy. Again this one site's opinion. Scroll down to see the rankings.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:25 PM

Vizio has always been a premiere brand in the TV game.
Just because they don't have lineage doesn't mean they're shit.
In fact, most of the TV brands you know just license their names (talk about a shit show)
Recently Vizio has been getting a little loose with their ODMs and panel sources.

TCL is fairly new to the game, but you'd be a fool not to consider them
They make their panels in-house, have good ratings, and really support their product to ensure the premium branding.

Thant being said, I would stick with Sony, Samsung, TCL, or Vizio
LG is also a good bet, but they have had their share of issues in the past

Check out RTINGS on all the TVs you consider.
I also recommend you NOT get a smart TV if at all possible.

Smart panels are usually balls slow, and many manufacturers don't keep their apps updated.
Samsung is real shit in this regard. Sony and TCL are great in this regard.
So if you get a smart LCD, try to steer towards a Sony or TCL.

If you want a 65" consider this one:
Amazon Amazon

Personally, I'd go bigger! :wink:
Old 09-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I just bought a 65" LG.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I'm staying away from Samsung.

I need to purchase two new TVs. My Samsung LCD is finally going out. I've had it for 12 years in my bedroom. my 65 downstairs developed a crack ( I still think one of my kids threw something at it)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM

In regards to receivers, that's not bad.
It really depends on your needs. Most people get way more than they need. Pay for nothing.
Get what you need, nothing more (if it costs more that is).

I recommend not spending a lot on a receiver.
Speakers on the other hand.. shiettt
Old 09-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch

Vizio outranks ALL the LED's. Only OLED is superior which is crazy. Plus the Sammy you show isn't the best Sammy. Again this one site's opinion. Scroll down to see the rankings.
Now you have me on the fence... Also the Vizio appears to handle reflections better than the Sammy.

Most of my content is either Cox cable (1080i) or Roku (netflix/amazon), and the Vizio seems to be a little lacking in the up-scaling quality.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 AM
Team Owner

You might not need your Roku if you get a smart TV for the big apps like Netflix/Amazon. It's possible your Roku doesn't support HDR unless you have the Ultra one which obviously costs more so again a top of the line TV will be overkill. Cable service is the fucking worst for quality. I tend to opt for HBO Go if I'm watching something like Game of Thrones vs my DVR recording.

I can echo LG's shaky quality at least with OLED's. I haven't tracked their LED's tbh. I do have an LG plasma which was one of their last which has lasted me at least 5 years with no issues. No burn in or any of that and I game on it.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Majofo
Vizio has always been a premiere brand in the TV game.
Just because they don't have lineage doesn't mean they're shit.
In fact, most of the TV brands you know just license their names (talk about a shit show)
Recently Vizio has been getting a little loose with their ODMs and panel sources.

TCL is fairly new to the game, but you'd be a fool not to consider them
They make their panels in-house, have good ratings, and really support their product to ensure the premium branding.

Thant being said, I would stick with Sony, Samsung, TCL, or Vizio
LG is also a good bet, but they have had their share of issues in the past

Check out RTINGS on all the TVs you consider.
I also recommend you NOT get a smart TV if at all possible.

Smart panels are usually balls slow, and many manufacturers don't keep their apps updated.
Samsung is real shit in this regard. Sony and TCL are great in this regard.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z1QWS9/

Personally, I'd go bigger! :wink:
Talks shit about Smart TV's, recommends a Smart TV.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

You might not need your Roku if you get a smart TV for the big apps like Netflix/Amazon. It's possible your Roku doesn't support HDR unless you have the Ultra one which obviously costs more so again a top of the line TV will be overkill. Cable service is the fucking worst for quality. I tend to opt for HBO Go if I'm watching something like Game of Thrones vs my DVR recording.

I can echo LG's shaky quality at least with OLED's. I haven't tracked their LED's tbh. I do have an LG plasma which was one of their last which has lasted me at least 5 years with no issues. No burn in or any of that and I game on it.
Good info on the sources, thanks. My Roku is not the Ultra.

While the Vizio has all the specs and then some (it's quite tempting in fact), I am seeing a LOT of issues on line with the TV failing just outside of warranty and Vizio being a shit show to deal with regarding replacement. I would get the SquareTrade from Costco, but even still, my Mitsubishi lasted me for 10 years and I would hope to get about the same from a new set.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
I own 3 Vizio LED TV's and have never had an issue with a single one, just sayin
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

ALWAYS get the Squaretrade. I think with Costco it's cheap too.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:35 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,495 Posts
My most recent TV purchase was a Vizion and I absolutely love it. It is on the top of my list as far as brands for my next TV I need.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:37 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,662 Likes on 2,495 Posts
I don't know about warranties for TVs. Depends on the price I guess. for a TV that is $1500 or less I am not sure I would get a warranty. Especially if you shop for a TV at the end of its first year of life when you are getting a better deal right before the new ones come out. Now if you are buying a large highend OLED for $3-4k that you want to keep for 10 years then I would consider a 4-5 year squaretrade warranty.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:08 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I own 3 Vizio LED TV's and have never had an issue with a single one, just sayin
How long have you owned them?

ALWAYS get the Squaretrade. I think with Costco it's cheap too.
$99 or with some sets it's free ($99 with $99 rebate)

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
My most recent TV purchase was a Vizion and I absolutely love it. It is on the top of my list as far as brands for my next TV I need.
Cool, thx.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:33 PM

Talks shit about Smart TV's, recommends a Smart TV.
Reading comprehension > Doom

Originally Posted by Jofo

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071Z1QWS9/
What you guys fail to understand is that most TV companies license their name
That means an ODM assembles the TV, panel, boards, etc.

They get these parts at the lowest price to bring the overall BOM cost low.
That's why you see JVC / Sceptre 55" SMART LED 4K LCDs for $200-300.
Guess what.. everyone gets theirs and JVC / Sceptre makes very little coin on the sale.

The hell if they're going to spend more to get a faster processor / SoC for the smart features.
That also means they're not going to have a robust software team that sends regular software and firmware updates.

Prime, Netflix, Hulu, PSVue, DirecTV, HBO, etc all update their UIs / Apps regularly to fix bugs, make improvements.
The hardware that connects to these parties need to be updated too to stay in step.

That requires a robust software team to know the hardware requirements and safely deploy an update to apps to work with the drivers for the TV.
Netflix, Prime, and all these other companies don't update their apps based on your hardware. It's totally dependent on the TV mfg.

So if you buy a Smart TV, you could be up the fucking river.
Manufacturers that make their own panels have more resources to do so because they're not paying a 3rd party for it.
They have more margin on their TVs. That being said, it's still a big expense, and at some point, you'll be lucky to get an update even once a year.
Samsung used to make you pay $299 for the update. It was more than just a firmware update, but still. You could have 3rd party apps that were completely useless otherwise.

A company like TCL, fairly new in the game, makes their own panels, which are pretty good.
They did something "smart" and actually partnered with Roku to support the smart features.
Companies like Samsung and Sony do their own software to save on costs, but TCL is like fuck that noise.. Roku deal works for them.

Roku, Firestick, Apple TV etc make pieces of hardware with the sole purpose of being set top subscription boxes.
Their whole game is being the best at providing you access to these apps.. and even their products shit or have hiccups.
I've had two firesticks shit and I've had to factory reset my 4th gen Apple TV twice. My Roku so far has been a champ, but limited apps.

A Smart TV isn't that. A Smart TV is a fucking TV where people care about picture and this and that.. Smart features are just a marketing bullet like 3D.
It might be a smart TV, but slow as balls, updates never, accessed Netflix once, worst internet browser period.

Sony is pretty good about updating even their mid-level TVs, which is why I suggested them, and it's totally free.
But they're slow as balls. Works sometimes as it should.
The following users liked this post:
Doom878 (09-19-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 03:37 PM

I think buying with Costco is great, even without extendo warranty
If it ever shits, just return it and throw a privilege fit
Replace it no questions asked
Old 09-18-2018, 03:40 PM

So again.. if you have an option to save on coin and buy a non-smart TV
I suggest that, but I believe most TVs these days is pretty standard

So if you get a Smart TV and intend to use the smart features..
go with one that has a partnership like TCL + Roku or regularly updates the software on the TV.. like Sony.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Senior Moderator

90 day return on electronics now because people abused the system.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I heard the same thing that Maj is saying before from this techy IT guy I used to work with. Dude was extremely into tech and what not. :Ultra uba :geek:

I really don't need a smart TV, as I have my firestick and Roku.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
I've found it much easier to to use the smart apps that are native to the TV rather than thru my android box or whatever. No jumping around thru sources, or waiting for things to happen .. It's all right there and ready to go.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

Reading comprehension > Doom

What you guys fail to understand is that most TV companies license their name
That means an ODM assembles the TV, panel, boards, etc.

They get these parts at the lowest price to bring the overall BOM cost low.
That's why you see JVC / Sceptre 55" SMART LED 4K LCDs for $200-300.
Guess what.. everyone gets theirs and JVC / Sceptre makes very little coin on the sale.

The hell if they're going to spend more to get a faster processor / SoC for the smart features.
That also means they're not going to have a robust software team that sends regular software and firmware updates.

Prime, Netflix, Hulu, PSVue, DirecTV, HBO, etc all update their UIs / Apps regularly to fix bugs, make improvements.
The hardware that connects to these parties need to be updated too to stay in step.

That requires a robust software team to know the hardware requirements and safely deploy an update to apps to work with the drivers for the TV.
Netflix, Prime, and all these other companies don't update their apps based on your hardware. It's totally dependent on the TV mfg.

So if you buy a Smart TV, you could be up the fucking river.
Manufacturers that make their own panels have more resources to do so because they're not paying a 3rd party for it.
They have more margin on their TVs. That being said, it's still a big expense, and at some point, you'll be lucky to get an update even once a year.
Samsung used to make you pay $299 for the update. It was more than just a firmware update, but still. You could have 3rd party apps that were completely useless otherwise.

A company like TCL, fairly new in the game, makes their own panels, which are pretty good.
They did something "smart" and actually partnered with Roku to support the smart features.
Companies like Samsung and Sony do their own software to save on costs, but TCL is like fuck that noise.. Roku deal works for them.

Roku, Firestick, Apple TV etc make pieces of hardware with the sole purpose of being set top subscription boxes.
Their whole game is being the best at providing you access to these apps.. and even their products shit or have hiccups.
I've had two firesticks shit and I've had to factory reset my 4th gen Apple TV twice. My Roku so far has been a champ, but limited apps.

A Smart TV isn't that. A Smart TV is a fucking TV where people care about picture and this and that.. Smart features are just a marketing bullet like 3D.
It might be a smart TV, but slow as balls, updates never, accessed Netflix once, worst internet browser period.

Sony is pretty good about updating even their mid-level TVs, which is why I suggested them, and it's totally free.
But they're slow as balls. Works sometimes as it should.
Breaks Maj's balls, gets Maj to write a nice soliloquy on Smart TV's.

Yeah you miles may vary. Hopefully your Costco is legit.

Originally Posted by brian2
I've found it much easier to to use the smart apps that are native to the TV rather than thru my android box or whatever. No jumping around thru sources, or waiting for things to happen .. It's all right there and ready to go.
Yeah the LG smart features on my OLED are really great and they do update regularly but again depending on company YMMV. Plus when the new year comes out, they forget the updates such as how my 2016 OLED never got YouTube in 4k which looks amazing BTW.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:13 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
I don't know about warranties for TVs. Depends on the price I guess. for a TV that is $1500 or less I am not sure I would get a warranty. Especially if you shop for a TV at the end of its first year of life when you are getting a better deal right before the new ones come out. Now if you are buying a large highend OLED for $3-4k that you want to keep for 10 years then I would consider a 4-5 year squaretrade warranty.
Yeah I should've clarified. I wouldn't bother on a $500 TV getting one. For 20% of the price to buy an extended warranty, nah not for me.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:30 AM

LG OLED
Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

You got a problem punk
Old 09-19-2018, 12:48 PM

LG OLEDs are amazing
Although their claim to have 100k hour life is bullshit
Plus they don't safeguard against burn-in before they get shipped
They should at least cycle the panels a couple hundred hours to prevent burn-in
Anyways.. enjoy it while you can

I did see a sweet deal on them actually (B7)
I was going to post it for Stogs, but was like, I can't do him like that

Here it is, if you're tempted.. add the 4 yr protection plan for $77.. money.

oUMm7bg.png
Old 09-19-2018, 12:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Man that is cheap! I know it’s refurbished, but still!

that being said... is it possible to get any half decent tv these days without all the smart functions? I too am not a fan of them. I have my PC hooked up to my TV for anything I need. Or my tablet. Or the PS4.

My previous tv was more or less when smart TVs first started coming out. It was painfully slow. Only used it for Netflix. And it sucked. This new tv I bought in January, I don’t even bother using any of the apps. Couldn’t care less about them.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:14 PM
Team Owner

Yeah the QA for OLED's is iffy. I think I've seen them new for a little more on sale from a smaller retailer but if the 4 year plan is applicable then not bad.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Anyone got any new suggestions for soundbars?

I went to the Bose store today and looked at the Soundbar 500 and 700, priced at 599 and 799 respectively.. Wireless subwoofers (500 or 700 a piece 5" or 10" size) with the ability to add 2 rear surround speakers (also wireless) at $300..

Stupid pricing but that's consistent with Bose being Bose.

I've been eyeing the Samsung Dolby Atmos soundbar that is about that price but open to suggestions on other bars people have.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Team Owner

I've had 2 Sony sound bars. I like them because they have 3 HDMI connections, use HD codecs such as TrueHD and DTS-MA, and are reasonably priced. I believe retail is $300 but I've gotten them on sale. They're fairly loud and have a decent amount of bass. The only issue is at times you can't understand the people talk but I think it's because of the settings as I like heavy bass.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:43 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
I have a Sonos Playbar. Clear sound, no problem hearing dialog. Sounds great with cinema and music.

I don’t plan to add a sub or satellites.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
I have a Sonos Playbar. Clear sound, no problem hearing dialog. Sounds great with cinema and music.

I don’t plan to add a sub or satellites.
I also have the PlayBar. I went ahead and added the surrounds and the Sub. Brand new it's an expensive setup but my house can't easily be wired for sound and I buy all my speakers used off eBay. Setup is so freaking easy and SonosNet is a really powerful option.

My Apple TV gets pretty good 5.1 surround and the Spotify integration is awesome.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 AM

Soundbars are pretty slick these days, not like years ago
And compared to the petty 5-10w speakers TVs have now, it's a no-brainer
Butt...

Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 AM

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Home Theater Discussion Thread