Cable vs Satellite TV?

Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SiGGY, Have you ever done video editing? I suggest you read this book DVD Demystified Even comes with a sample disk that shows the quality of different MPEG compressions. MPEG4 is only better because they can cram more data in less space therefore potentially providing a better image depending on how the video is captured.

In other words you could still end up getting MPEG2 quallity video with MPEG4 compression. They could capture MPEG4 video at 720x480x24 fps x 12 bits which is exactly the same compression as MPEG2.

I am not miss informed... As to all the other comments, I'm not hear to argu with you. I provided links as well with supporting facts. Readers can take it as they wish. So much is changing many people had differing points of view.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuetatesu
SiGGY, Have you ever done video editing? I suggest you read this book DVD Demystified Even comes with a sample disk that shows the quality of different MPEG compressions. MPEG4 is only better because they can cram more data in less space therefore potentially providing a better image depending on how the video is captured.

In other words you could still end up getting MPEG2 quallity video with MPEG4 compression. They could capture MPEG4 video at 720x480x24 fps x 12 bits which is exactly the same compression as MPEG2.

I am not miss informed... As to all the other comments, I'm not hear to argu with you. I provided links as well with supporting facts. Readers can take it as they wish. So much is changing many people had differing points of view.
dude you have major reading comprehension problems.

I've been doing digital video editing since 1992. but it means nothing in this conversation. Your quote above about the digital video book is great :lol: But again it's meaningless. You have to know the bitrates and resolution involved before you can even start to compare MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 and you don't. If you did you wouldn't be quoting SDTV resolutions in a HDTV discussion. Also you need to know what variant of mpeg-4 you are using and which mpeg-2 encoder.

argue? you don't know enough about directv's bitrates or resolution reductions to even hold a conversation about this. 720x480 is SDTV (DVD) resolution. We are discussing HDTV, SDTV on DirecTV has always been OK. Since you are too lazy or whatever to read my other post.... DirecTV is currently reducing 1080i HDTV by dropping the horizontal resolution by 640 lines. So it's going from 1920x1080 to 1280x1080. Then on top of that they are using really low bitrates for MPEG-2 giving the video bad compression artifacts and major loss of detail. Too low of bitrates for HDTV using MPEG-2.

reality is directv launched their new system because they were out of bandwidth and providing shitty HDTV to their customers. They needed the extra capacity.

What the guy above asked is if the new system will provide better HDTV (he never asked about SDTV 720x480) and the answer to that question is more than likely yes. On average DirecTV gives 8 to 10mbit per HD channel. If they continue this way using their newer mpeg4 codec the image should be night and day better. Especially in fine detail and no more macro blocking.

They can only improve the HDTV as its seriously shitty right now compared to time warner cable. Maybe spend 5m and read my post/links about it on page one.

I'm not trying to be rude, but to answer peoples questions on HDTV for DirecTV you would have to know about them 1st. You obviously didn't know DirecTVs bitrates or DirecTVs HDTV resolution reductions in their current MPEG-2 system. If so you would see there is only room for improvement. LOL, well I hope so anyway...

With a modern day mpeg-4 variant codec (h.264) you can easily squeeze 5.1 audio and 1080i video into 8-12Mbit. With MPEG-2 you need 15Mbit minimum to get sorta decent 1080i video with 5.1 audio. Using that logic and assuming DirecTV will actually broadcast 1080i and not their reduced quality 1080i one can determine going from 8-10Mbit MPEG-2 to 8-10Mbit mpeg-4 (varient) the video will greatly improve.

Oh to answer your mpeg2 to mpeg-4 analogy. DirecTV would have to be absolute idiots and compress their video wrong with their Mpeg-4 varient to give them no compression advantage over mpeg-2. They didn't spend all of this $$ to upgrade to mpeg-4 to achieve no gains in the end And I could get into symbol rates and motion detection, sharpness but theres a lot more to offer in mpeg-4 than in mpeg-2. But that goes vice verse depending on what you consider important in your video. As mpeg-2 does have some advantages. So I can't argue it is possible to make MPEG-4 look as bad as a low bitrate MPEG-2 stream. But that would defeat the purpose of using it.

Lets sum up this conversation... you want to compare cable to satellite and give advice

but...

you don't knowing much about the fiber runs for cable or U-verse or even how it's done

You didn't know what SDV was or how it works... or that it was coming

You don't realize how much bandwidth cable really has

You think it's easy to launch a new satellite and make everyone add a new LNB on to their dishes.

You continue to only discuss IPTV as if it everyone is using it and it's some mature technology

You ignored the 1st 2 times I said AT&T's IPTV will be able to do 12 SDTV channels at
once by the end of the year

You failed to put 2+2 together and realize that cable can easily deliver 2.2Gb to your house. If they changed to IPTV services they could do insane things with IPTV. I even took the time and broke it down into 6mhtz channels and 256QAM for you.

You try and give someone advice about HDTV and directvs new system vs their old. But you don't even know what the current quality numbers are in terms of birate and resolution.

You never clued in on the fact that everyone (timewarner, comcast, DTV) will have their HDTV upgrades all done within a few months of one another. And cable is the clear winner in the end. As they have much more to offer.

And then you come back with tid bits about MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4 but provide no real world examples using directvs ACTUAL bitrates/resolutions. You just copied and pasted some blurb from a book or article on how if misconfigured mpeg-4 could look like mpeg-2. Oh but you did say if DirecTV wanted too they could make MPEG-4 perform like MPEG-2

You haven't provided any realworld information that pertains to DirecTV or cable using their numbers...

.. I could keep going...

Argue? Perhaps if you addressed issues with face value we could even start to argue. You just dance around things; you haven't ever actually addressed anything I have said. You just switch to irrelevant topics...