trying to get along with my neighbors...

Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trying to get along with my neighbors...

didn't know where to post....

so i moved to a new neighborhood a few weeks ago. I met a few of the neighbors. The ones I've met and spoke with were very polite and extremely helpful during the snow we got over this weekend, generally nice people.

Then we have this one lady who always parks in front of my house. She not only parks in front but partially blocks my driveway. I've let it slide thinking she may have been in a rush and parked it temporarily, but this is the 5th time she's done it this month... I try to get along with most everybody, but there's always that one oblivious person. Even with the snow in the way, the amount of curb in front of my house realistically fits one car, and has space for maybe one and a half. why do you park like this lady??? and is there anything I can do?

below is a picture, pitch black, but u can see where the snow bank is. I actually left a bout a 6 inch buffer on purpose so this lady won't do this. in front of this car is a huge caddy seville also partially blocking my neighbor's driveway.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
If I were you, I'd catch her when she's leaving/coming in and just very politely ask her to park a little bit forward. Chances are she doesn't know exactly where the front of her car is, and doesn't want to block your neighbor's driveway as well. If you're nice, she'll be nice.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Yeah, probably better to take the high road. Like Aman said, if you're nice to her, she should be nice to you. And if she's not, well we could go from there.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Or if you can't reach her in person, mayb eleave a polite note about her parking is blocking your driveway. I left a not like that on the car of the person that parked next to me because he was ALWAYS parking over the lines in my spot and the next day he parked straight in his spot from then on.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Being that you're new to the neighbourhood and haven't formed a relationship with this person yet, I would aim to speak to him/her about it in person and NOT via a note left on the car. You only have one or two opportunities to make a good "first impression" - so don't go right for the kill....you have way more chances to approach them in a harsh way later on than you do to hope for them to be understanding from the start....so start off the nice way.

Introduce yourself, be polite (not attacking), and they will take your words with a lot more consideration and care than if they came to their car to find a random note from "the new person." They've likely been parking there since before you moved in, so you want to avoid them seeing you as bothersome from the get-go.

You mentioned that someone parks in front of this car...perhaps there's just not enough room (technically) for both, but they've been making it work (as is) until now. So even though you are in the right, it might not go over too well. Try to show your concern for their car as well...wanting to ensure anyone (not just you) coming in and out of your place does not have any close calls with their rear bumper. You also want to make sure their car (cabin itself, since it's now in view vs. just the lower/trunk) doesn't impede the view of the road and on-coming vehicles as you back out of your place. They might interpret that as people (you) not knowing how to drive...but do what you can to make them realize you want the situation to work for everyone. IMO, they'll be more likely to co-operate.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Next time you have to shovel snow, pile it up infront and in back of her car.

Seriously, SS is right. Try to approach her to introduce yourself. If she comes and goes at times you aren't around, knock on her front door. Just say you just moved in and wanted to meet your neighbors. Make a little small talk, then right be for you leave, have one of those Columbo moments... "Oh, one last thing... " and mention how you noticed her car blocking your driveway. Don't make a huge issue about it, but make a quick point.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:41 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
call the cops since its illegal to block a driveway. Most likely if she is dumb enough to do this she won't care if you ask her not to

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
throw eggs at her car
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take the high road and be as nice as you can at first. If that does not work than call the cops or go to the closest tow yard and they will give you a sticker to put on her window. You write the date and time on the sticker and if she doesent move the car within 24 hours they come out and tow it.... We do it all of the time in our office when a guy takes up two spaces in our parking lot, but we call the tow yard right away and write the date in as yesterday. They yank those cars out so fast its scary....
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Being that you're new to the neighbourhood and haven't formed a relationship with this person yet, I would aim to speak to him/her about it in person and NOT via a note left on the car. You only have one or two opportunities to make a good "first impression" - so don't go right for the kill....you have way more chances to approach them in a harsh way later on than you do to hope for them to be understanding from the start....so start off the nice way.

Introduce yourself, be polite (not attacking), and they will take your words with a lot more consideration and care than if they came to their car to find a random note from "the new person." They've likely been parking there since before you moved in, so you want to avoid them seeing you as bothersome from the get-go.

You mentioned that someone parks in front of this car...perhaps there's just not enough room (technically) for both, but they've been making it work (as is) until now. So even though you are in the right, it might not go over too well. Try to show your concern for their car as well...wanting to ensure anyone (not just you) coming in and out of your place does not have any close calls with their rear bumper. You also want to make sure their car (cabin itself, since it's now in view vs. just the lower/trunk) doesn't impede the view of the road and on-coming vehicles as you back out of your place. They might interpret that as people (you) not knowing how to drive...but do what you can to make them realize you want the situation to work for everyone. IMO, they'll be more likely to co-operate.
be sure that you be their friend and try to look out for their interests. Tell them you have some clumsy friends over time to time and you are worried they may hit her car...
Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SG81
throw eggs at her car
I really like this one. haha

I've come to a passive solution. I've decided to widen the driveway and convinced my neighbor (the other half of the duplex) to do the same, evidently he was going to anyway. In turn they will have to cut the curb in an amount where only one car will fit barely. It'll cost money, but it was something I was going to do in a few years, I guess the spring project will come early. I can never meet her and some of the neighbors I've spoken to tell me that she's one unpleasant person and to not speak with her and just call the cops.

now I'll sit and hope they don't reassess and up my prop taxes anytim soon from goin 15' to 22' wide driveway.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
sounds like a good solution to me, since you were going to do it anyways, and the neighbors say she isn't the best person to talk to. I'm just worried that she will STILL cut into your driveway
Old 12-23-2009, 01:46 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i would have it towed since it is blocking. i would say it was abandoned. You would be very surprised how quickly this stops. By doing what you want to do, she will think it's ok to continue to park there.

This will pave the way to getting walked on by this ho.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beat her old wrinkled ass.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by 95gt
Beat her old wrinkled ass.
+1

It's the holidays season in me...
Old 01-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow! What a hassle living in the city. I feel for you though. I think you are going about it right. Hopefully it works.

I live in the 'burbs with large 1+ acre lots and we have similar issues if you can believe it. My neighbors across the street (who I adore) are constantly having guests who park right across from my driveway. The way my driveway is angled it just makes it more difficult to make the turn. But, as I said, I like these people and it is just something you learn to deal with. In your case - I would not tolerate blocking the actual drive though.

Up the street we had another related issue. Like many newer communities, our lot lines are not perfectly square. Builders are often forced to skew the lines to meet certain frontage guidelines. Anyway - one neighbor's child (neighbor A) was parking at the very edge of their LEGAL property line which, unfortunately due to the lot lines, was almost right in front of the next house (neighbor B). There are no rules about parking on the street here, but the other neighbor (B) got so mad about A's car in front of her house, she used to take her car out of her driveway and park it right in front of the neighbor. Personally, I think she was nuts. Neighbor B even admitted to me she let the air out of neighbor A's tires (). She told a man (me), who loves cars, that she vandalized a car simply becuz they parked in front of her house - and she was proud of it. I was like WTF! Eventually neighbor A questioned B why she was parking in front of her house. A shouting match ensued and the cops were called in. Luckily the issue stopped there and neighbor A moved their car to the other side of the lot. Neighbor A eventually moved away as well. It sort of explains why we have war. Why can't we all just get along??