In trouble with condo association

Old 04-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Well, there are pluses and minuses of each. When we lived in our townhouse in NY there was an association, and it was expensive... like $230/mo. But, we got almost everything done for us. Lawn was mowed/edged/blown, outsides were powerwashed once a year, irrigation was winterized, in the winter our driveways and walkways were shoveled, plus all of the grounds were maintained (check out the community on my site... www.juniorbean.net and check out the Past Homes section). Additionally the clubhouse was huge, had a full olympic sized pool, kids pool, and playground. Inside the clubhouse was a full gym with trainers, locker rooms with saunas, 60" TV with surround sound, DVD player and cable box (they had a movie every Friday, plus you could use it when it was available), indoor basketball court, and section with a full kitchen that you could rent out for parties and such. They had no control over what we did inside the house since we owned the inside, and even on the outside they weren't bad. It kept people from putting up anything obnoxious and kept everything looking nice nice. But, since it was a townhouse community and everything needed to look the same, there were restrictions on what you could do outside (like no flags, only a certain storm door could be installed, etc).

That said, I wasn't a huge fan of the HOA. When we moved to NC, our community has an HOA, but it's mainly for architectural review... which is nice. For example, we needed to submit the plans for our pool, but the approval process took one day and was no big deal. But we maintain everything on the house ourself.. lawns, landscaping, everything... as if there was no association at all. I like this association b/c it prevents people from putting up ugly fences and stuff like that. We pay $425/year which is pretty much for the landscaping of the entrance, around the pond and around the pool... plus the maintenence and operation of the community pool itself. I love this association b/c it's completely hands-off, but at the same time they keep the community looking very nice.

So really, what I am trying to get at is that it depends on the HOA

That's more like the quintessential HOA that I am used to. But an HOA that tells you that you can put hardwood floors on your own house/condo? fuck them. I mean, I would have checked the covenant/rules even before buying the house/condo.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by mamboking
That's more like the quintessential HOA that I am used to. But an HOA that tells you that you can put hardwood floors on your own house/condo? fuck them. I mean, I would have checked the covenant/rules even before buying the house/condo.
^^ Definitely. I'd never buy in a place that had rules like that. I mean, the HOA in our last community wasn't that hands on... and I didn't even like that. No way I'd live in a place that told me what I could and could not do INSIDE my own home...

Sounds more like a co-op then a condo to me...
Old 04-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by mt6forlife
I own a house w/o an association. Even if there were an association, they sure wouldn't be mowing my lawn. But you can bet they'd be threatening me if my grass was 1/2" too long.

The city has rules against parking RVs on residential streets. I'm not sure it its an outright ban or if it falls under the 72 hour rule that applies to cars.

I'd rather put up with a pink house on my street than a bunch of nazis looking in my windows trying to determine if my blinds are the approved shade of beige.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mt6forlife
I'd rather put up with a pink house on my street than a bunch of nazis looking in my windows trying to determine if my blinds are the approved shade of beige.
You would change your tune very quickly when the time came to sell your house and everyone loved it but wouldn't pay up b/c of the ugly pink house across the street!!

I also think the HOA Nazi's are few and far between. I looked at about 30 communities down here before we moved and none of them were even close to being near the vacinity of what is typed in this thread. I think it's the older associations that still have this need to manipulate as much as they can. Most modern HOA's are very hands off and you don't even know they exist.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
HOAs become a real problem once the community starts to age. If you decide to buy into a townhouse that is around 15 years old, watch out. By the time its 20 your HOA will be up 50-75%.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by doopstr
HOAs become a real problem once the community starts to age. If you decide to buy into a townhouse that is around 15 years old, watch out. By the time its 20 your HOA will be up 50-75%.
That's not the first time I've heard that either. Not only will it go up but they'll do less I've heard... And seen...
Old 04-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
That's not the first time I've heard that either. Not only will it go up but they'll do less I've heard... And seen...
Oyeah, they sure do. The last year I was in my townhouse they were busy repairing the pool and installing roofs. They sent out a notice saying they would no longer be replacing plants that die. If you have a dead plant it was up to you to now replace it (and the plant had to be approved). The roads were also crumbling.

The big trick they liked to do was that every year they would send out a notice and say they went over the snow budget and please cough up an extra $200-$300. This happened every year weather we got 6 snow storms or 1.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Well they definitely increase their fees, that's for sure. That's why I'm glad our Association down here is more of an ARC and not an HOA.

Our units in NY were brand new. First year and a half fees stayed the same. Once Jan. 2005 rolled around, they raised them $20/mo... and again, this is for brand new units. Reason being was that they needed more money in the snow removal fund. So yeah, all they do is increase.

I don't miss that HOA and I don't miss the snow much either
Old 04-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Suzuka Master

hmm interesting. ive never heard of an HOA regulating the inside, although ours watches the outside like hawks.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My HOA hates me, especially I submitted a 2nd floor french door and traxx deck layout overlooking the water from my bedroom.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any update?

I know when Saki and I were looking at her new condo, they told her that she couldnt change to hardwood or tile without their permission first to make sure everything was ok.. but considering shes getting tile installed while they build it, thats cool.