Question about Cable hookup

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about Cable hookup

So I just moved into my new place and signed up for digital cable and cable internet. I told the installer that I was going to have my TV in the living room and my computer in the family room. He screwed some box onto the cable in each of these rooms and then went outside for a while. Came back in and everything worked.

So now that im totally moved in I tried to hook up a TV in my bedroom last night. I get no connection to the cable. There is no splitter inside the house, but the installer said that my junction box is to the side of my front door. Is is possible that he unhooked all the other cable lines in the junction box? The main cable hookup is three houses up by the sidewalk, but I have a feeling there is one line coming from there into my "junction box".
Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My guess is you told him you wanted a TV in the living room, not the bedroom so the bedroom outlet is not connected.

The "box" he hooked up to the outlet in the living room and the family room was to ID which lines to connect to provide service to these outlets.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 AM

ok so probably there is a splitter somewhere outside the house. If I can locate it shouldn't just be able to reconnect the cable?.

At my last house we had one line coming into the garage and then a 5 way splitter in there running to all the outlets. For some reason in this house there are like 4 or 5 cable lines running into the garage, so im guessing the splitter is outside.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by spdy0001
ok so probably there is a splitter somewhere outside the house. If I can locate it shouldn't just be able to reconnect the cable?.

At my last house we had one line coming into the garage and then a 5 way splitter in there running to all the outlets. For some reason in this house there are like 4 or 5 cable lines running into the garage, so im guessing the splitter is outside.
Check outside for a "grey" box. This is where the splitter is probably located.

Unless this is an apartment building. If it's an apartment it is most likely in a locked metal security box somewhere on the premises.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
Check outside for a "grey" box. This is where the splitter is probably located.

Unless this is an apartment building. If it's an apartment it is most likely in a locked metal security box somewhere on the premises.
Not an apartment, but a townhouse. There is a grey box to the side of my door which is what the installer referred to as my junction box. I agree the splitter is probably in there. Im just hoping its not locked, but since its on my property, I wouldn't think it would be
Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
when we moved in only the living room and bedroom had cable. i ran cable to each room inside each wall and installed a wall plate. now there are 5 rooms and the garage that have cable.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:25 PM

Ok so the box was locked. I pulled the side open and saw the splitter and loose cable, labeled bedroom. At the risk of doing something illegal I left it alone and called the cable company. They said it would be 50 cents a month to activate the line and a $30 install fee. I said I didn't care about the 50 cents, but I refuse to pay an install fee just so they can screw a line into a splitter. They agreed to waive the fee and come out to the house. So I should be all good as of friday, but this situation is stupid.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:07 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
50 cents a month!?!?!

I'm not an expert, but I think you have the right to open that box, assuming it's not the box for your whole townhome complex.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by virus7
50 cents a month!?!?!

I'm not an expert, but I think you have the right to open that box, assuming it's not the box for your whole townhome complex.
No its not the main box, that box is a few houses down. This box is the same as what is attached to everyone's house. Yeah I think its rediculous as well, and as far as I know blue ridge cable is the only company in my area that does this crap. I had comcast at my last house and we had a main line coming into our house and we had a 5 way splitter inside the house.

Normally I would have just split one of the lines coming into the house and dealt with it myself, but since the line was already run, I would rather do it that way. Im researching online right now to see if this is legal. I think I read something before where the FCC ruled that they can't do what they are doing.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Well, now you know. Next time you get installed buddy-up to the installer and offer him $10 bucks to hook up all the lines. Matter of fact, these guys don't care, he probably would've just hooked it for free.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
Well, now you know. Next time you get installed buddy-up to the installer and offer him $10 bucks to hook up all the lines. Matter of fact, these guys don't care, he probably would've just hooked it for free.
Yeah I normally would have followed this guy around the house to see what all he was doing. Unfortuanly I was in the middle of painting the house so I just let him do his thing.

What I do know is that if I eventually run cable to the spare bedroom, I will just cut one of the lines in the garage and run it from there.