Putting in a new fence

Old 06-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Putting in a new fence

For work around the house over the summer my mother decided she wanted me to put a fence in.

The fence is going to be going right here:

We tore out that wire fence last year. Now it basically looks like a jungle back there. By the way, does anybody know of any good weed(everything) killers I can spray back there to kill, well everything? Does home depot sell agent orange?

Now about the fencing, I need to know the following:
1. Where around Boston (Newton) is a good place to purchase fence?
2. I am looking for a average 4 feet(?) wood picket fence, how much are the pre made sections? Something cheap
3. How would I go about planting the posts? I don't believe cement was used on our other ones, only 3 foot post holes IIRC.

Anything else I should know, feel free to let me in on.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Roundup for the vegatation, ask for the strongest one. Be careful it kills everything it touches.

Home Depot and Lowes have fence material nationally I think but there are also local places. You can use a post whole digger for the obvious. Depending on the soil it can be lots of work but you're young. Pre soaking the soil can help a lot. Cement is your best bet to keep the post in place. Do a goggle on constructing a wood fence.

Have a nice summer
Old 06-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks. The ground around here is very rocky and routey, do you think it is worth it to rent a two man auger?

Mike
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I would rent the auger, the men to use it and their helpers to construct the fence. But I'm almost old enough to be your grandfather. (It's good to be king)

Consult some local professionals. It actually sounds like a good task for you this summer. How long is the fence going to be?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Suzuka Master

The fence will be 30 to 40 feet long. And as far as renting the "work," I'd rather save my parents the money and give myself something to do (and a fraction of that money).

Mike
Old 06-27-2007, 04:15 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out Lowes.com for some ideas:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...507&lpage=none

You'll need all the accessories (posts, post caps, etc.) to go with the panels. They also have wood that will save you a little money, but then you'll need to prime, paint and maintain.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

A note of caution on using Roundup to kill the weeds... It's a great product to kill the weeds (and anything else), but make sure you don't walk through what you just sprayed and then walk through you parents lawn....

I worked for a local lawn care company for 3 summers during college and we had a customer who did just that. You could see footprint-shaped portions of dead grass from where the homeowner sprayed some bushes on the edge of his lawn right to the garage. His wife was trying to tell us we burned their lawn until we got her to admit that her husband had sprayed the Roundup in the woods, then proceeded to walk through it and then across the lawn.

Her anger was quickly re-directed from us to her husband.. I'm pretty sure he slept on the couch that night.

It's funny you posted this as I just started a 150' +/- fence on our side yard yesterday. It's going to be built with 10' 4x4 PT poles, each cemented 3-4 feet into the ground . I have 5 in so far and will do the additional 14-15 today. I wasn't happy with the quality of the pre-made panels at Lowes and HD, so I'm just going to use 3 pieces of 2x4 PT horizontally between each pole(bottom, middle and top) and face them with "ship-lap" style boards. Each finished "panel" will have a long decorative cap across the top of the shiplap panels and a square decorative cap on top of each pole.

Sounds like a good project for you. Post some pictures when you're done. Good Luck