Cheap options for single-car garage storage

Old 06-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Cheap options for single-car garage storage

Hey guys.

those of you with a single car garage (10'x20'), or those with imaginations better than mine, can you suggest an inexpensive method that will give good storage space but still allow a TSX or any smaller car get parked in there daily (and have oil changes or maintenance done to it) without hauling crap out of the garage each time?

The layout and desires are simple:
- attached garage
- door-to-house is at back right corner on the long (side) wall
- 2 steps down to the floor of the garage from the house
- future garage door opener
- needs to have a spot for a workbench
- needs to have overhead/hanging/secure storage racks for camping stuff and seasonal decorations, and two sets of luggage.

I'm thinking I'll pick up a workbench on sale sometime soon (standard size w/ pegboard backing), and I already have a Craftsman mechanics tool chest (small one, about 20" high, and a metal 5-shelf unit that I can put in there. I was thinking of picking up some prefab hanging storage racks that attach to the ceiling joists but they're pricey ($60+ each for a 45"x45" rack). Then I got to thinking about making my own hanging shelving using 2x4's and larger as the frame, and getting a metal grille to use as the platform (reduces moisture and also lets you see what's there from below).

Anyone have some basic ideas on how to most efficiently lay this out? I have a 10x10' vinyl shed out back to store the lawn and garden stuff, so this storage in the garage is for more climate-sensitive stuff and things I don't want smelling like dirt and grass. Bikes will be in the shed.

Thanks!
Eric

Last edited by curls; 06-14-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I highly recommend those $60 high-loft storage systems for having a shelf that sits above your car hood (forward of the garage door opener presumably). They are built well and allow you to adjust them later if your needs change (e.g. you go from a short car to a taller SUV)

You can buy these at home depot in the garage/shelving area and they hold 8 rubbermaid storage containers worth of stuff. We have one and my Wife even uses it to hang clothes to air dry even.