I need a new bed/mattress - advice?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
I need a new bed/mattress - advice?

I'm moving into a new apartment this Friday and I need a new bed (mattress/boxspring/frame) but I'm clueless to how to really shop for one because it's my first time. I had a full bed in college but that one was way old so we trashed it. Then I moved back home to save some $$$ and have been using my old twin bed from forever ago. Now I since I'm moving I need something a little bigger. I'm looking for either a full or queen, most probably queen. I take up little space on the mattress (don't roll around) but my gf will be sleeping over sometimes so that's why a queen is prolly better. I'm not too picky regarding mattresses and all that soft/firm/foam stuff I just need something decent and preferably on the cheap side .

From what I've researched so far, this is what I have found regarding bed shopping:

-All mattresses are pretty much the same just named/priced different at different places
-Don't go to a department store (I was planning on going to a mattress store after work)
-Make sure you lay on it for atleast a few min to see if you like it

Any other info I should know? I need to get it within the next few days... because I'm moving in this Friday!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a Tempurpedic and couldn't be happier. I know it doesn't fit your "on the cheap side" requirement, but keep this in mind: You'll spend more time in your bed than anything other piece of furniture. It's totally worth it to get a good mattress, which are like shoes -- what may fit one person may not fit another. With the economy the way it is, you should have no problem finding some good payment plans (I got 3 years no interest financing, which made paying for it less expensive per month than my cell phone.)
Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by imj0257
-Don't go to a department store (I was planning on going to a mattress store after work)
-Make sure you lay on it for atleast a few min to see if you like it

Any other info I should know? I need to get it within the next few days... because I'm moving in this Friday!
You'll look stupid, but yes, lay on it for a few minutes. My preference is the firm mattress w/o pillowtops, etc. (like most hotels).

You may get charged an extra $50 for the bed frame.
You can negotiate out the delivery charge.

Delivery may take up to a week, depending what you order.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:48 AM
awesome user

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love my pillow top! its so soft
Old 10-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Lay on the bed exactly as you sleep (side, back, stomach, fetal position with thumb in mouth), and lay there for like that for a while. Doing this on several should also help you determine a preference for soft/firm.

Everything is negotiable. Everything. Mattress stores are like car dealers...they are out to take you for what they can. In my opinion, a frame and mattress cover should be free right off the bat.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
I have the tempurpedic and love it to, +1
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Q('.')=O

Went a couple places and eventually settled on an Elizabeth Eurotop Airsprung mattress from Mattress Giant. Felt the best when laying on it. Here are the specs (I dunno shit, tell me if it is good?):

"By using memory foam, super soft foam, hyper soft foam and European tailoring you’ll get the most value for the dollar in the industry. Elizabeth will have you sleeping like royalty and waking up feeling refreshed each day. The custom foam encasing will give you total comfort from edge to edge. No other bed comes close."
* Four ply Italian stretch knit cover
* Queen contains 805 coils
* 14.5 gauge tempered coils

Was $900 but got it for $700 during their "Columbus Day Sale". (Is it REALLY $900 usually? We'll never know. Fuck it though, I'm happy).

Now all I need are sheets! Any recommendations? And as much as I'd like, not I don't think I can afford Egyptian cotton 1 billion thread count sheets.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

I never saw the big deal about sheets until I stumbled across a sale where 800 counts were half off, making them the same as regular sheets. I bought them because I had always heard the higher the count, the better. I was impressed; however, I would never pay full price for them. Go everywhere, check for sales, and get the highest thread count you can. JCPenney (do they still exist?), Overstock.com, Bad Bath & Beyond, Linens & Things (they mail me coupons every other week for 10% off on top of whatever sales they have). Kind of like with the mattresses - avoid department stores.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Q('.')=O

^cool. going with my mom tonight to bed bath and beyond and linens n things. im sure she knows what she's talking about.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a Select Comfort, will never need another bed again.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Beware of the sheets you buy though.

Higher thread count is better (well, that's subjective...) than a lower thread count, but try to make sure what you are getting is really what they say. I've read up on how several manuf softer acturers would maybe take to thin layers of 400 count sheet, lay them on top of each other and call it an 800 count sheet set. Then they charge you that much for for them. If you are looking to have a higher thread count, at least feel them to see if they seem legit.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Q('.')=O

omfg bedding is fucking impossible to find. i went with my mom to bedbathandbeyond, linensnthings, and target. i found the best stuff at linens n things but they didnt have the complete set. like they would have the firm bed sheet, flat bed sheet, pillow cases, but no bed skirt or blanket that would match (im looking for a blanket, not a comforter... im in texas. its hot) and ive decided on some kinda color combo involving black, gray, and red. maybe two of the three or all 3 i dunno. basically after a few hours of looking i was like fuck this and my mom said she'd go shopping tomorrow and find something for me (she usually knows my taste). <3 moms
Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

LnT is filing for bankruptcy...they're about to be selling stuff at huge discounts (true liquidation sales).