HVAC Freon Leaking / Repair or Replace?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,155 Posts
HVAC Freon Leaking / Repair or Replace?

I am having a problem with my HVAC system and need some opinions on how to proceed.

A TRANE HVAC system was installed in my house 9 years ago. I bought my house in the Fall of 05. At that time the HVAC was running fine. In Spring of 06 the AC blew hot air. I called the company that installed the system and they were backed up for almost a week so I found another company to charge the system. It ran fine until this week. I call the company who installed it and they came out today.

I told the technician that I wanted him to find the leak and replace whatever the issue is. The guy baulked at that telling me that finding the leak is very difficult and that he would charge $500 to attempt to find it but offered no guarantee of success. If he did find the leak he said it would be over $1000 to fix. He highly recommend that I just replace the unit. Not only that he said that its best to also replace the heater.

He ended up charging the system for me and he is going to provide an estimate to replace it.

So, WTF? Is he BSing me that finding the leak is a waste of time? I was happy that this house had a TRANE unit in it that was relatively new. Now its just a POS. For a little over $200 a shot I can just charge it every year or so. But I feel bad that the system uses Freon and that it isn't good for the planet. What would you do?

CLIFFS:
9 year old TRANE unit leaks freon. Its been leaking since at least 7 years old.
HVAC dude telling me not worth it to find leak, says replace entire HVAC.
Expecting $5k+ bill to replace.
What to do?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 AM
The Slim Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I purchased a new Trane AC (X15i) with a 10 years warranty at 0% for 1 year through Home Depot credit. The great part is that the electric bill is ~$50-60/ month and it is on all the time. The new AC are very efficient. They have been providing free maintenance services for our furance (which came with the house). Definetly recommend a Trane if you buy one.

The service guy sounds like a jerk. I would recommend finding another Trane dealer in the area and ask for another estimate to fix or for a new one. Best of Luck!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:46 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Doesn't sound kosher to me.

Call another company (like the one you had charge it in '06).
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

The leak may not be in the system itself but could be anywhere in the piping-the most common is the copper pipe that runs from the compressor up to the heat exchanger in the furnace unit. Changing the unit may very well not solve the problem.

I have to recharge mine every spring-costs about $60 or so. I just do it and go on with things.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it depends on what's leaking; so some of what he is saying is true...

If it's the compressor it'll be $$ ($1000+)
If it's the expansion valve or a line leaking it won't be too bad.
If it's the condenser or evaporator it'll be $$ ($1000+)

I'd figure you have about 4-5 years left on the unit in a good case scenario.

However; if you have an old A/C unit and it's like 7-9 seer, replacing it with a 16 seer will save you $2000 easy over the next 4-5 years if you live a hot summer area. So figure your A/C is really only costing you $2-3k to be installed with the energy savings. As you'd be spending that $2k more to run your old one anyway if you choose to keep it.

After the new unit is installed you'll start saving $$ every season. You won't have to spend $1000 (fixing) now to spend $4-5k anyway in a few years when the unit completely fails. Then add up all the additional $$ you paid in electricity from not switching it out. Your looking at $8k spent vs. spending $4-5k now getting a new unit.

If your not going to stay in the house for another 3 years I wouldn't spend the $$ to replace it. If you are and the repairs are $$ I'd just go with a new one.

Always call a few places to get estimate. The hot season is over now so A/C will be on sale soon....
Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,155 Posts
Ok, a guy is coming out this afternoon to give a quote on a new system. I'm going to call around to a couple of other Trane dealers to get their opinion on fix vs. replace.

I'm just pissed because in my eyes 9 years isn't old for this stuff and I have a strange feeling that it may have been leaking since it was installed.

If I were to replace the AC, do you guys think I should replace the heater? It was installed with the AC 9 years ago. It runs great as far as I can tell. What do you guys consider an acceptable life span for HVAC?

I'll be in this house for quite awhile. Charging the system costs about $225 so I need to figure out if I just want to do that for a few more years.

Last edited by doopstr; 09-12-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by doopstr
Ok, a guy is coming out this afternoon to give a quote on a new system. I'm going to call around to a couple of other Trane dealers to get their opinion on fix vs. replace.

I'm just pissed because in my eyes 9 years isn't old for this stuff and I have a strange feeling that it may have been leaking since it was installed.

If I were to replace the AC, do you guys think I should replace the heater? It was installed with the AC 9 years ago. It runs great as far as I can tell. What do you guys consider an acceptable life span for HVAC?

I'll be in this house for quite awhile. Charging the system costs about $225 so I need to figure out if I just want to do that for a few more years.

No, there should be no need to get a new furnace. 17-20 years on the heat exchanger in the heater/furnace. Your blower motor might need to be replaced as some of them need to be serviced every year (oiled) and most people don't do it. But you should be able to get another 10 years out of your furnace...

You're right, 9 years old isn't very old! You should be able to get 15 years of service from your A/C unit. Sometimes repairs are $$ though, and a new system will end up being cheaper.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think changing the system out is overkill-kinda like changing the engine because of an oil leak.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Zippee
I think changing the system out is overkill-kinda like changing the engine because of an oil leak.

Umm no it's not... I think you totally missed my point above...

If the cost to fix it is >$1000 and you plan on staying longer than 3-4 years. It'll be cheaper to get a new unit if the current one he has is equal to or less than 10 seer.

Guess I need to completely draw it out for some people...

Old: (if 10 seer or less)
$1000 fix (it'll be more I bet)
+$2000 extra electrical operation costs over 4-5 years over a new unit
$unknown; who knows what else will break and cost you more
=$3000+$unknown

New:
$4-5k installation costs
-$2000 in electrical savings over next 4-5 years....
=$4-5k up front but really only $2-3k after 4-5 years because of the power savings

So 4-5 years later...

Old:
Its' done, you need to spend $4-5 on top of all the $$ you spent fixing it over the past 4-5 years. Total spent up this point $8000-9000!

New:
Nothing you saved $$ in the long run... and you still have a newer unit that continues to save you $$. Total spent now... $4-5k

You need to look at your problem many years in advance... not just for the little $$ your saving today. Your small savings today is going to cost you a lot more down the road... especially when you factor in the electrical saving over 5 years.

Now if he doesn't have a 10 seer or less A/C unit currently. It changes things... then I'd say just fix it and make it limp along. But odds are he has a 10 seer or less.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SiGGy
Umm no it's not... I think you totally missed my point above...
I understand perfectly, and if it was a matter of the unit being hosed I'd agree.

My point is that there is no indication that the leak is in the unit; may well be in the heat exchanger or the plumbing. In that case changing the unit does nothing other than pump freon to the leak more efficiently.

Once the leak is located and a cost to fix has been established, then an intelligent decision can be made.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Zippee
I understand perfectly, and if it was a matter of the unit being hosed I'd agree.

My point is that there is no indication that the leak is in the unit; may well be in the heat exchanger or the plumbing. In that case changing the unit does nothing other than pump freon to the leak more efficiently.

Once the leak is located and a cost to fix has been established, then an intelligent decision can be made.

Ya, it'll be cool if it's only a leak from the line I don't know why the service guy made it sound hard to find. They have electric sniffers to detect the refrigerant. I suppose if the leak is in the evaporator it might be difficult to detect with all the airflow... But in the end I doubt it's a line leaking...