help w/ ceiling fan wiring

Old 05-09-2007, 11:30 AM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help w/ ceiling fan wiring

Sup ya'll, haven't been on in a few months. Been busy with new home. Anyway, I saw 1 thread that NSX had an issue with wiring his fan. I need you guys to identify a wire for me.

The fan wiring harness is straight forward. Blue, Black, Green, White. The wires in the ceiling are Ground, white, RED and black. What is the red for? I have the Blue from the fan which is supposed to be the wire for the light kit connected to the red but doesn't do anything. The fan works but the light won't come on. I have a switch on the wall that controls the fan and if I get the light to work will also control the lights on the fan. Do I take the blue wire and connect it to the Black also and just cap the Red?

Another thing, do you guys have a solution to place the module for a remote control anywhere in the room besides close to the fan. I decided to to go with a close installation to the ceiling and there isn't any room for the module to hide. I was thinking somewhere close to the light switch.

Thanks, -john
Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
You can cap the connect the blue to the black. That will set things up so that the switch turns on the light and fan. But... If you want the lights off, and fan on you will need to fumble with the pullchains on the fan. There is a howto here... http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...nter_23843.htm

So on the fan assembly, black is your fan motor, blue is your light, white is neutral, then you have ground.

What is the red connected to in the switch box? Is there one there?

In the ceiling box connect the black(fan) to black, blue(light) to red. Then in your switch box connect the red to the switch that you want to operate the light. Connect the black from the ceiling box to the black that supplies the wall switch.
With this configuration, you have "always-on" for the fan motor - use pull chains for control, and the light is controlled by the wall switch.

Alternatively you can use a 2-gang switch in the wall that uses one switch to control light, one to control fan.

Turn off the circuit while you are trying all of this, unless you like shocks, burns, fire and sparks. All of this is based upon what a "likely" setup is, but there are no guarantees that the prior electrician/handyman did things right.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the info. I guess I will just wire the switch to turn on both the fan and light and just use the pull chain to control the speed.