help purchasing a table saw

Old 09-10-2008 | 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

help purchasing a table saw

So I plan on doing some home renovations as I unexpectedly have 2 weeks of freedom (and will be starting soon -- like on friday)
-- putting drywall up on the basement walls
-- maybe build some wood shelves
-- If I really have time, maybe a tv stand

And I need a table saw (unless someone has alternative recommendations)...

Anyways, I have the following 4 options
1. for $275 http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/833599728.html
2. for $200 http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/831833021.html
3. for $350 http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/tls/828242154.html
4. Something new from Home Depot / Lowes / Sears
5. Something used and cheaper

So I'm relatively rookie when it comes to building stuff; And I'm not sure how often this will be used after 2 weeks -- maybe once a year, maybe twice a year...

Thoughts/Ideas/Tips?
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:43 PM
Team Owner

Of those three, the Jet is the best.

The first Craftsman has a much better fence than the second; do not underestimate the importance of a good fence in accuracy and in ease of use. I had a Vega fence like the first Craftsman has on my first table saw and it was a really nice fence.

If you're going to be cutting fairly wide sheet goods the extension table on the Jet will come in very handy.

BTW there should be no need for the TS to work the drywall!
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:48 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Having limited knowledge of table saws, I can't comment specifically, but you may want to think about exactly what you will be doing to decide if you really want a table saw or a miter saw.
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moeronn
Having limited knowledge of table saws, I can't comment specifically, but you may want to think about exactly what you will be doing to decide if you really want a table saw or a miter saw.
If you'll be doing any kind of ripping, table saw is a must. Miter saw is great for precision cross-cutting, but the table saw especially with a good fence is a vastly more versatile tool.
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

You certainly don't need a table saw for any of those projects. I would look into a miter saw and/or a circular saw. Probably the two most useful tools in your workshop. I'd say 75% of the projects I do require one or the other. My table saw pretty much collects dust (and not from use).

You can make accurate cuts with a circular saw and a high-quality straight-edge.
Cutting drywall simply requires a sharp utility knife.

For miter saws don't go any smaller than 10". Try to find one with a solid fence. I'm a big fan of the Rigid miter saws. My Dad has a 12" and other than the weight of it, it's an awesome tool.

I've been using the 10" Ryobi that HD sells and it's made it through a complete basement finishing (metal and wood studs) as well as crown molding and other projects.

Speaking from experience, table saws take a good amount of skill to master.
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moeronn
I can imagine (like with shelf building and any future project) that a table saw would probably be more useful than a mitre saw. But if I really needed both, I could get both...

BTW there should be no need for the TS to work the drywall!
Thanks! I wasn't fully aware of that (although it obviously makes sense). I'll obviously read more about it before I start the project...

Here's a slightly different question...
Is the first or the third a better deal?
Eg. in the worst case, if I never used it again after 2 weeks; which one would I lose the least money on if I resold it?

Last edited by Slinks; 09-10-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:20 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Originally Posted by svtmike
If you'll be doing any kind of ripping, table saw is a must. Miter saw is great for precision cross-cutting, but the table saw especially with a good fence is a vastly more versatile tool.
I'm not saying that a table saw is a bad idea, but it really depends on the projects and materials.

Originally Posted by Slinks
I can imagine (like with shelf building and any future project) that a table saw would probably be more useful than a mitre saw. But if I really needed both, I could get both...
If you're starting with a sheet of plywood or particle board, you will definitely be thankful you got a table saw, but if you're starting with 10" boards, then a miter saw would be perfect.

That said, the only reason I don't have a table saw is because I'm in a condo with no garage and there have been many occassion I wish I had one. For now, i make do with the miter saw and circular saw.
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:29 PM
Bent = #1

Don't know if you noticed my thread, but I built an entertainment center with MDF. I would have liked having a table saw, but I made due with a circular saw I bought from home depot. I was able to make pretty straight cuts, but a table saw would have been easier and faster

Updating my pictures tonight!
Old 09-10-2008 | 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Just beware, you will never be able to handle a sheet of 3/4" mdf by yourself on a table saw. Mdf cuts great with a very sharp blade on a circular saw with a good quality straight-edge.
Old 09-10-2008 | 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slinks
Is the first or the third a better deal?
Eg. in the worst case, if I never used it again after 2 weeks; which one would I lose the least money on if I resold it?
I think the first is the better deal. It's nearly as good a saw, has a good blade, by far the best fence of the three, and higher quality cast wings (the table extensions).

You can build an extension table for it if you really need it.

And you'd probably be able to sell it for what you paid or nearly as much.
Old 09-10-2008 | 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Just beware, you will never be able to handle a sheet of 3/4" mdf by yourself on a table saw. Mdf cuts great with a very sharp blade on a circular saw with a good quality straight-edge.

Sheet goods are probably the most dangerous things to handle on a table saw. Much easier to move the saw.

If you need superb accuracy with sheet goods, rough them with a circular saw and then do the finish cuts on the table saw with much smaller pieces than a 4x8.
Old 09-10-2008 | 05:02 PM
Bent = #1

Originally Posted by svtmike

Sheet goods are probably the most dangerous things to handle on a table saw. Much easier to move the saw.

If you need superb accuracy with sheet goods, rough them with a circular saw and then do the finish cuts on the table saw with much smaller pieces than a 4x8.

I purchased 2X4 "sheets" of MDF. I don't think they'd be difficult at all on a table saw. Either way, the circular saw was cheaper, worked well and useful for other tasks.
Old 09-10-2008 | 05:12 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hornyleprechaun
I purchased 2X4 "sheets" of MDF. I don't think they'd be difficult at all on a table saw. Either way, the circular saw was cheaper, worked well and useful for other tasks.
A "sheet" is generally considered a 4' x 8' piece - very difficult to handle on a table saw unless it's set up with large infeed, side, and outfeed tables.
Anything smaller is a cutoff and will be easier to deal with.

As with any tools, how suitable it is depends on what you're doing and how accurately you need to work. A circular saw guided by a straight edge will take a lot of setup to get square corners and dead-consistent board widths, whereas a table saw, especially one with that Vega fence, will be very capable of either with a minimum of setup fuss.
Old 09-10-2008 | 05:27 PM
Not Asian

We have this store here in Missouri, http://www.toolsnow.com/ , they sell refurbished tools for cheap. Good quality tools too. Maybe see if there are any stores like that in your area.
Old 09-11-2008 | 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks for the input; I think I'm going to go with #1.