Framing a Mirror

Old 09-18-2008, 01:35 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Framing a Mirror

Background:
For the longest time, I have been looking for the right sized mirror for our master bath, but have had no luck. It's a large, but odd size (~34"x60") and I can't find anything close. I even looked into custom framing, but that was WAY expensive.

Issue/Question:
I was thinking of buying a plain mirror, mount it on the wall and use door casing to frame it in. Originally, I was thinking I had to mount the casings to the wall - which would introduce problems making the frame - but now I'm thinking of just using an adhesive and mounting the frame on the mirror directly.

I'm pretty sure this is how they have done it on the DIY shows, but they never really go into any detail.

Any thoughts going this route?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
What I would do is flip the casing over and cut a very shallow rabbit into the inner edge of it (1/4"). That will allow the mirror to sit inside the rabbit and allow for any inconsistencies in the moulding. Then go ahead and frame the mirror but don't attach it to the mirror yet.

Then you can mount the bottom of the casing to the wall, anchoring it really well. Slide the mirror in and attach the sides and then the top. I did something similar to mine in my bathroom.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You should be able to use door trim, tack it together in the corners, then put the mirror in the center. Then take another piece of wood and attach it to the back of the trim.

In this way you would have:
trim
glass
backer

Kinda like giving the trim an overhang on which the glass will rest.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
What I would do is flip the casing over and cut a very shallow rabbit into the inner edge of it (1/4"). That will allow the mirror to sit inside the rabbit and allow for any inconsistencies in the moulding. Then go ahead and frame the mirror but don't attach it to the mirror yet.

Then you can mount the bottom of the casing to the wall, anchoring it really well. Slide the mirror in and attach the sides and then the top. I did something similar to mine in my bathroom.
That's what I was planning on doing initially, but doing the rabbit on most trim would shorten it quite a bit because the ends aren't that thick to begin with. I was thinking of matching the trim already used in the house, which would fall into this category. Plus, it's MDF which would make it a little more difficult.

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
You should be able to use door trim, tack it together in the corners, then put the mirror in the center. Then take another piece of wood and attach it to the back of the trim.

In this way you would have:
trim
glass
backer

Kinda like giving the trim an overhang on which the glass will rest.
What are you suggesting for the backer? Mirrors get pretty heavy - that's why I want to mount it to the wall.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Well if you can do it, just nail the moulding to the wall and frame it around the mirror. Make sure you nail into studs.

Get some liquid nails for mirrors and use that to provide additional hold on the mirror.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
What are you suggesting for the backer? Mirrors get pretty heavy - that's why I want to mount it to the wall.
I'm only suggesting a piece of wood that it only an inch or so wider then the molding/trim you want to use, to create a small lip. If you want something coving the entire back, 1/4in plywood.

How about this:
Old 09-23-2008, 01:08 PM

Those are some good suggestions and I'll be considering them a bit more.

I want to have the bathroom done by around Thanksgiving, but this will be one of the last things I do. I just wanted to have a plan for when it comes to puting in the mirror(s).

Keep the suggestions coming and I'll update the thread once things get rolling.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 AM
Under the radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I faced this same issue. I was going to be all creative with Liquid Nails, wood trim etc. etc. well, I wondered into Lowe's the other day and they sell kits for trimming plain mirrors. They have several styles and the channel built in, just click and go.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My parents paid my buddy to frame their bathroom mirror. There is a mirror adhesive for this. Just use whatever trim you want then caulk the 45* angles.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by CLSter
I faced this same issue. I was going to be all creative with Liquid Nails, wood trim etc. etc. well, I wondered into Lowe's the other day and they sell kits for trimming plain mirrors. They have several styles and the channel built in, just click and go.
I saw some there the other day, but they were all less than 1.5 inches wide and pretty thin. I want something more substantial.

Originally Posted by phipark
My parents paid my buddy to frame their bathroom mirror. There is a mirror adhesive for this. Just use whatever trim you want then caulk the 45* angles.
How did he mount the mirror to the wall?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:31 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am actually looking to reframe my bathroom mirror soon.

When I moved in the mirror was glued to the wall and framed with door casing. It might have looked ok if the installer wasn't retarded

So I ripped the casing off and have had just a plain mirror glued to the wall. I have seen the mirror trim at lowes but its too thin my application because the wall is slightly damaged from where the casing was mounted. So I need about a 3" trim. I will probably end up with wall molding and cut the 45 angles and nail it up
Old 09-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw some there the other day, but they were all less than 1.5 inches wide and pretty thin. I want something more substantial.

How did he mount the mirror to the wall?
The mirror was already affixed to the wall. He just added the border on top. What's funny is that I lived there for 22 years and don't remember how the mirror is mounted.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,791 Likes on 1,439 Posts
Keep the suggestions coming and I'll update the thread once things get rolling.
Updates!! What did you end up using for your project??

My mother wants me to frame the bathroom mirrors in her house with rosettes and fluted moulding.

This is the link she found:
http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blo...g-mirrors.html

The problem is she wants rosettes just like the ones that this individual used and I can't find them (online or at the big box stores) anywhere 3.5"w X 2"

The best rosettes that I could find where at Lowes and consist of a daisy design, a star, and a bullseye looking thing that she absolutely hates.

She also found this acrylic edging at Home Depot depot; however, when she looked at it, she decided that it looked to cheap. So that was the end of that idea. http://www.mirredge.com/

Anyone have any other ideas that have not been discussed or an idea on where to find an assortment of rosettes?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Ummm... yeah. I think I'm just a tad behind schedule.

I was actually supposed to work on the bathroom this weekend but have been sick. The plan is to just use the same casing used for the door on the mirror. Pretty much like what was described in the link you posted, only I need a new mirror.