Cordless Power Tools

Old 10-15-2006 | 12:29 AM
Because Of You

Cordless Power Tools

Hi,

This set from Sears is on sale for $198.
Come with 5 tools and 2 batteries.

Are they any good for light duty, mid duty, etc?
Do you guy know what type of battery is it from this set?
How much is 19.2V?

I have an old Skil 12V "professional" drill. It can run for less than half an hour only. It is very inconvenient. The battery is done I guess. But the Skil is very tough though.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cemldffidfjg.0
Old 10-15-2006 | 02:18 AM
Supercharged

I have that same set. It has proven to work well so far. I have had it for over a year now. It can definitely handle most jobs. The only problem I had was when I tried to use the drill to mix mortar for tiling. The battery died quickly and the drill got hot. Under normal loads and usage the battery lasts long. The battery is made by DieHard. I think the set is good enough for most people but maybe not the pros.
Old 10-15-2006 | 09:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I've got the sears cordless drill, and it's great for small stuff around the house, but sometimes I still need to pull out the corded drill.
Old 10-15-2006 | 12:54 PM
Because Of You

thanks. I am going to check it out in Sears today.

Those LITHIUM batteries are not safe to use, aint they?
I've heard that this kind of batteries can get over heated and blow up... right? like those in the laptop computers...
Old 10-16-2006 | 12:47 AM
Because Of You

this link talks about power tool. It is pretty good.
They says that that set of tools from Sears is made by a company called Ryan.

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com/index.htm
Old 10-16-2006 | 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Consider if you really need a 19.2v cordless drill. I have an 18 and 12 volt and end up using the 12 much more often. It's easier to hold and my arm doesn't get tired from holding it. Sometimes more power isn't the best. If I need real power, I just pull out the corded drill.
Old 10-16-2006 | 06:23 PM
Because Of You

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Consider if you really need a 19.2v cordless drill. I have an 18 and 12 volt and end up using the 12 much more often. It's easier to hold and my arm doesn't get tired from holding it. Sometimes more power isn't the best. If I need real power, I just pull out the corded drill.

I just bought the set yesterday.

The tool itself is not big in size at all. But they are kinda heavy, and feel very tough! they are much better than my corded drill I bought many years ago.

But... consider I only use them for hobby kinda stuff, $200 for 5 tools, 2 batteries, 1 charger, a bunch of bits and blades, and one big carrying bag THE WHOLE PACKAGE IS A BIG BARGIN!!!

However, if I need the tool for work and stuff like that, I will not mind to spend $500-800 dollars for a set of Makita.
Old 10-19-2006 | 12:48 PM
The Creator

I absolutely LOVE Craftsmans 19.2 line.

They are very durable, stand up to drops, provide excellent power, and have a great battery life.

They're also just the right weight. Not too light, not too heavy.

Just about the only thing I use my heavy duty corded drill for these days is putting 1" holes in joists for electrical work, or when I need the hammer function for masonry.

For everything else I use my craftsman 19.2v drill... light to heavy duty.

Alot of my contractor/builder friends/family have shit to say about the Craftsman... but nearly all of them start "borrowing" it leaving their 18v Dewalts on the floor after a project at my house.

It's definately one product done very right. A++
Old 10-19-2006 | 04:23 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Personally for tools I would not cheap out. Craftsman are not bad quality, but my experience witht he batteries has not been good. I had a 19.2v set and 3 batteries. All 3 died in about 9 months. Tools are something that you keep for a long time.

I have a 14.4v dewalt that is more powerful than my 19.2 craftsman, and after 3 years the dewalt batteries still hold the charge well. I have a 18volt set also, but like nsxnext said, I find myself using the lighter drill more often. have fun drilling
Old 10-19-2006 | 05:47 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by Titand19
Personally for tools I would not cheap out. Craftsman are not bad quality, but my experience witht he batteries has not been good. I had a 19.2v set and 3 batteries. All 3 died in about 9 months. Tools are something that you keep for a long time.

I have a 14.4v dewalt that is more powerful than my 19.2 craftsman, and after 3 years the dewalt batteries still hold the charge well. I have a 18volt set also, but like nsxnext said, I find myself using the lighter drill more often. have fun drilling
On the flip side of this argument, check this old post of mine:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=14

My Craftsman is well over 2 years or more old... sits on the floor of my wet garage... is never charged properly... renovated my whole house... renovated my friends house... gets covered in paint... has been dropped from a 12 ft ladder... dropped from 8 ft ladders at least a dozen times... and countless other abuses... yet has never had a single problem.

If it does ever have a problem, Sears will give me a FREE no questions asked replacement.

All-in-all, the Craftsman was a far superior buy to the Dewalt.

I'm not saying Craftsman is the be-all-end-all of tools. Not by any means. I have plenty of higher-grade and lower-grade tools of varying varieties that I wouldn't trade for a Craftsman. Nonetheless, as far as cordless drills go, the 19.2 Craftsman is definately the best buy. Cost to performance/durability/warranty ratio... it can't be beat, IMO.
Old 10-23-2006 | 08:30 AM
Team Owner

I bought a Black and Decker combo pack about 2 years ago. It's the 14.4 V set with a drill, router, sander, circular and jig saw. It comes with 2 battery packs, charger and a bag. It's the 2nd Black and Decker set I've owned. The last one still works, but I needed new batteries and I got a good deal on the current combo set.

If you plan on just using it for light work, hobby stuff, it is more than enough. So far I've used every part but the router, and they all work well. The battery life is pretty good.