Basic GFI wiring question

Old 03-30-2006 | 09:16 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Basic GFI wiring question

Quick GFI wiring question.

I essentially have a large rectangular room that will be finished in the basement. I would like to install GFI outlets, but I have a question.

I've done GFIs in the past, but at the end of the circuit; I split the circuit, and ran two GFI outlets, one on each side of the house (outside). No big deal.

But now... I'm going to have multiple outlets on the line. Not just one. I can't imagine needing a GFI outlet everywhere, right? In fact, the builder didn't do this.

Without pulling out the outlets and snooping myself, I'm guessing that they put the GFI as the first outlet in the circuit and then just ran regular outlets after. That's gotta be it, right?

So here is what I was thinking...

Run out from the breaker box, a hot and common. Spilt the hot and common and run conduit along both walls. Drop a GFI as the first outlet and run additional regular outlets down the line. I understand I have to install the GFIs correctly, line vs. load, etc.

But am I on the right track?

Old 03-30-2006 | 09:38 AM
Team Owner

What you are doing I believe will in fact make the entire circuit GFI protected. In fact the directions that come with the GFI outlet will mention that.

Now, do you really want an entire room GFI protected? Some devices don't play nice with GFI circuits. I believe devices with large motors (vacuums) are an example.

You should place stickers on outlets that are GFI protected so you or any future owner knows what is going on.
Old 03-30-2006 | 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Oh, and since you are so close to the breaker box, how about using 2 circuits instead of splitting one?
Old 03-30-2006 | 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Unless you have water problems or small kids that like to play with kitchen utensils, I say skip the GFCI.
Old 03-30-2006 | 09:54 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Unless you have water problems or small kids that like to play with kitchen utensils, I say skip the GFCI.

Well, they will be in a basement...

No kids yet, but
Old 03-30-2006 | 09:55 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by doopstr
Oh, and since you are so close to the breaker box, how about using 2 circuits instead of splitting one?

I only have three free breakers left... I was going to use one for the outlets, one for the lights.
Old 03-31-2006 | 07:36 AM
Administrator Alumnus

So regardless if I decided to go the GFI route or not... I'm trying to determine the most straight-forward way to wire...

What I mean is... Let's say you're going to put four outlets on a wall. The conduit is running along the top of the wall.

Do I:

Install junction boxes above and pigtail the wires, dropping one set of wires down for each outlet and continuing on down the wall?

Or... (Pain in the ass way)... Drill holes and try to run the conduit through all the joists?

Plan B seems like an awful pain in the ass. Plan A seems easy, but it is the best method? I suppose I could run down to the outlet, and then off the outlet, back UP the conduit and continue down the line? But that would use a lot more wire.

Thoughts?
Old 04-02-2006 | 07:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Actually plan A (dropping from a junction box) is better as this makes the wire run to the following outlets shorter.
Old 04-02-2006 | 07:41 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I've got teh plan all figured out... Pics next weekend when I actually get started.
Old 04-03-2006 | 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scrib
So regardless if I decided to go the GFI route or not... I'm trying to determine the most straight-forward way to wire...

What I mean is... Let's say you're going to put four outlets on a wall. The conduit is running along the top of the wall.

Do I:

Install junction boxes above and pigtail the wires, dropping one set of wires down for each outlet and continuing on down the wall?

Or... (Pain in the ass way)... Drill holes and try to run the conduit through all the joists?

Thoughts?
Scrib, I know you already have your plan figured out, but I'll add my suggestions anyways (although I'm a little late)

Have you thought about a GFCI breaker? I would do this if you don't want to have a GFCI somewhere in the room that might look bad and/or be a pain in the ass to reset if it's behind a peice of furniture, etc.. We don't use them very often but I've never heard anything bad about them. Just something to think about.

If you do put one in the room I would just run the wire from the panel to the closest box, make that the GFCI, then hop out of that to every other box around the room. My point is that there is no need for two GFCI's, it doesn't make sense.

I suppose I could run down to the outlet, and then off the outlet, back UP the conduit and continue down the line? But that would use a lot more wire.

^ And if it was me, I would wire them like this. It's your choice but I don't like the idea of all those junction boxes. Think of all the extra work you'll have wiring them up Plus you'll have to pay for all the boxes...

Good luck
Old 04-03-2006 | 01:34 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I think I'm good... Scott, I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

I've decided against the GFIs, just because, well... I don't see them as being a necessity. Unless I get a foot of water in the basement (and if I do, I got bigger problems), then there's no real need for GFI. There is no bathroom down there, etc.

Anyway... I'll post pics this weekend.
Old 04-03-2006 | 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scrib
I think I'm good... Scott, I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

I've decided against the GFIs, just because, well... I don't see them as being a necessity. Unless I get a foot of water in the basement (and if I do, I got bigger problems), then there's no real need for GFI. There is no bathroom down there, etc.

Anyway... I'll post pics this weekend.
Yeah sorry I'm usually not on much towards the end of the week and the weekends.

No GFCI's works too. If you ever need them protected for some reason you can just put in a GFCI breaker like I mentioned before.

Looking forward to the pics