Anyone have a pool or pool experience?

Old 08-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb Anyone have a pool or pool experience?

We are in the process of interviewing pool companies and getting design sketches and price quotes. Our current dilema is that we aren't sure if we want to go above ground or in-ground. Well, we know we'd love to do in-ground, but we'd be looking at a minimum of $30k... plus we'd want to do landscaping (which we would probably do ourselves, but still).

For the in-ground pool we're deciding if we want to go with gunnite or fiberglass. There are pros and cons for each which we are aware of, but I wanted to see if anyone here had any experience.

For the above ground pool we know it would cost a fraction of the in-ground. We also know that b/c the land slopes away from our house we could probably install one, build a deck, and it would look like an in-ground b/c of the way it would be installed. Of course the half by the house would look in-ground and the back section by the woods would be above ground so that works out well, but in the end it's still an above ground pool. For those folks with above ground pool experience, do you have any pictures of decks you've done?

Part of the problem is that all of the "pimp" pools you see are in-ground, however, I know in my head that an above ground can be dressed up just as nice, if not nicer, for half the cost. The problem is finding good pictures. We have plenty of pictures of the in-ground pool we want complete with waterfalls and lions that "spit" water into the pool plus the lighting kits, but finding good above ground pool pics is next to impossible.....

Any help/suggestions appreciated
Old 08-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Homeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part of the problem is that all of the "pimp" pools you see are in-ground, however, I know in my head that an above ground can be dressed up just as nice, if not nicer, for half the cost. The problem is finding good pictures. We have plenty of pictures of the in-ground pool we want complete with waterfalls and lions that "spit" water into the pool plus the lighting kits, but finding good above ground pool pics is next to impossible....
I've been in the same boat. I decided that being in a pool, no matter the type, is enjoyable...and all the more enjoyable since I did above ground. $3K got me just as much water as an in-ground and I can remove it if need be.

Landscaping on a hill should be much easier since you can vary the type & size of plants around the deep end of the pool. Any of those fountains for in-ground pools will work with above ground.

Another thing to consider...if the in-ground will be on such a slope...it's going to probably cost much more to install since they will have to bring in dirt to back-fill the exposed end
Old 08-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Homeless

Not to mention...there are a million ways to pimp out a deck these days...with the new Trex type lumber, the clear acrylic panels instead of rails, pimp-ass deck caps & lighting, etc.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Question

Originally Posted by chef chris
I've been in the same boat. I decided that being in a pool, no matter the type, is enjoyable...and all the more enjoyable since I did above ground. $3K got me just as much water as an in-ground and I can remove it if need be.

Landscaping on a hill should be much easier since you can vary the type & size of plants around the deep end of the pool. Any of those fountains for in-ground pools will work with above ground.

Another thing to consider...if the in-ground will be on such a slope...it's going to probably cost much more to install since they will have to bring in dirt to back-fill the exposed end
Thanks for the reply. That's been my thinking. The biggest dilema is... pool will be fun regardless, verses having it look pimp. As retarded as that sounds, that's the thought process.

As for the installation, shouldn't be too bad b/c they need to dig it out anyway, and they'll use the dirt they extract from the escavation (sp?) to backfill the exposed side. We actually have received quotes already and no one has charged extra due to the slope b/c its not an extreme slope (very gentle). Once the guy from one of the companies gets back to us I'll scan in the plan and you'll see why the in-ground would be sweet.... but again, both would be nice and relaxing.

May I ask why it's more enjoyable with an above ground?? Is it just b/c of the price?
Old 08-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Not to mention...there are a million ways to pimp out a deck these days...with the new Trex type lumber, the clear acrylic panels instead of rails, pimp-ass deck caps & lighting, etc.
Have you seen any examples? I've been searching but usually find lame company websites instead of good examples....
Old 08-24-2005, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
The one good thing about above ground pools is that if you get sick of it, you just drain it and junk it.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 PM
has been here awhile

I know I probably don't hold much credibility, but take this into consideration. I know that pools in general really don't add much (if not, they take away) to the resale of one's home. In fact, I'd say that an above ground pool probably takes even more away, no matter how nice it looks. An above ground pool will still be an above ground pool, no matter how nice it is. It will still have that stigma.

IMHO, I'd only go with the in-ground pool. If you are having a hard time stomaching the cost, I'd say hold off until you can comfortably put it in. Or, put in the basic in-ground pool, and you can add on to it down the road (the lighting, the landscaping, the lion fountains). You have a pretty house, and the above ground pool just wouldn't fit, no matter how nice.

That's my
Old 08-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by juniorbean
Have you seen any examples? I've been searching but usually find lame company websites instead of good examples....
Above ground was better for me because I saved the extra $20K...I couldn't justify the price of a nice used car to stick it in the ground. Plus, when you sell...you have a 50/50% chance someone will bulk on an in-ground pool.

I haven't seen any examples of above ground pools, specifically, that have been all decked-out...but it is essentially a raised deck, just encircles the pool area. You can do multiple levels around a pool...for instance, a main level which encircles the rim of the pool itself, raise a step or two and do a seating platform with built in benches, and even another smaller raised area for a BBG grill...varied levels add a dramatic effect, but don't really cost more than a flat deck...and they look PIMP.

Once you scan in the back yard layout, I'll draw an example.

As far as landscaping goes...the ideas are only limited by your budget. Neighbor just did a 'natural fence' around his yard. Made a raised planting bed about 3 foot wide and ran it along the perimeter of his property. Made it a few feet higher in some spots to give it a sloping effect. Where it was lower, he planted Blue Spruce(mature) and where it raised up, he planted smaller Japanese Spruce and Hinshino Cherry trees, Weeping Cherry's. The mulch is rimmed with white beach or river stones, about 3" in diameter...I believe that's what they call medium size. Once his vegetation grows in, it'll add mucho privacy and reduce the noise level from the neighbors.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I know I probably don't hold much credibility, but take this into consideration. I know that pools in general really don't add much (if not, they take away) to the resale of one's home. In fact, I'd say that an above ground pool probably takes even more away, no matter how nice it looks. An above ground pool will still be an above ground pool, no matter how nice it is. It will still have that stigma.
Just the opposite. Above ground can be moved/removed easily.

In ground is a whole different ballgame.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I could maybe justify a pool in the south, but around here... I just can't bring myself to do it.

My brother-inlaw (10 minutes from me), just got a fiberglass pool installed. It's like 18x30 or something. It feels like a large bathtub. Much smaller than the liner pools other family members have. He had to get a 4-foot high retaining wall installed on the back due to his sloping grade. Grand total was like $35K (too much for the size), but he got a fountain and a control panel to control everything.

Worth it? meh... In the eyes of the beholder I guess. Considering midwest weather and the tendency for late springs and early falls, the usage most get out of these things around here is small.

One drawback I did hear about fiberglass was if you have a high water table, it's NOT recommended. I'm no expert, but I thought I heard that the pool can actually rise up out of the ground if it's severe enough. A good installer would probably recommend against getting one if you're got a high table.

Why not get a liner pool and spend the 2-3K every 15 years for a new liner? You’ll probably save money long term… Not too mention resurfacing fiberglass pools costs a small fortune.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:10 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
:ibshawnspostspicturesofhispool:
Old 08-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by Scrib
Why not get a liner pool and spend the 2-3K every 15 years for a new liner? You’ll probably save money long term… Not too mention resurfacing fiberglass pools costs a small fortune.
Actually, liners are much cheaper than that. More like $500 or so for a medium sixed pool, say a 24 ft round. Around here, we have so much pool competition(don't ask me why) that you can buy a 27 ft round, 54" deep with 2 stage pump, filter and accessories for under $3K(bought my pops for $2500 and installed it ourselves).

Most pool people will tell you that a round pool has more water & they are cheaper...which is true...but an oblong or rectangular pool is 10x more enjoyable if you really like to swim. Plus, it's visibly more appealing when you go to landscape it, IMHO. But, if you like playing Marco Polo...buy a round one
Old 08-24-2005, 03:57 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

MARco
Old 08-24-2005, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies guys.... everything you've mentioned is pretty much everything I've been wrestling with, especially what SPUDMTN brought up about the above ground pool with our style house.

Down in the south the pools actually add to the value of the house. They would add even more if the community didn't have a pool, but we do, so it's negligable, but does not subtract. There's something so nice about being able to go into your backyard, firing up the BBQ, and relaxing with friends and/or family in the privacy of your own space. Additionally, we don't even need to winterize the pool. In fact, one of the sales guys lives not too far from us, and he uses his pool year round. So when there are those fluke days of 70 degrees in January (average is about 47), his family has gone swimming... so I'm not worried so much about the use, b/c it can be used year round, and I know we will use it... b/c it's freakin hot down here May through October , but can be warm anytime of the year.

We have another guy coming out Saturday (in-ground, gunnite), then we're going to go to some pool shops that sell above ground pools, and seriously sit down and weigh the pros and cons of each while factoring in price. We're looking to make a move this year b/c the price of stuff like concrete, steel, and fuel (for the machines needed) are going up, and they're expecting a $6k or so increase in the pool prices by October, however, I need to move some cars first to free up some dough... and if they don't sell this year, we'll be waiting....

Thanks again guys!! Any other input is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ITL
MARco
Polo
Old 08-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Homeless

Polo
Old 08-24-2005, 05:57 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd say go with the above ground....sure an in ground pool is nice, but someday someone (maybe not you) will want to get rid of it and its easier if its an above ground.

I grew up with an above ground pool and as we got older we used it less and less, but my dad still had to maintain it (chlorine, ph, skimming its kinda a pain in the ass to maintain) so eventually he just took it down and re-sodded (sp?) and everything was as good as new.....imagine doing that with an in ground....

plus adding a deck could really change things and really make it look great.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Just don't get an above ground.

I think they look like shit.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scrib
Just don't get an above ground.

I think they look like shit.

Haha, thanks Scrib

virus7 - same here. We had an above ground and we used it less and less as well. Funny though, I used it more when I moved out and got married then I did when I was older but living at home . The one good thing about the new pools is that they are self-cleaning. They don't clean themselves 100%, but they are a whole lot less maintenance then "the old days". The inground we were looking at had an automatic vacuum and automatic chlorinator, so it tested the water and adjusted the chemicals accordingly, all automatically!! Crazy stuff.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda whore

What part of the country are you in? I know that here in south Texas you can typically recoup 50% of pool construction costs during resale, IF it is in-ground.
I know that in the north they can actually hinder the sale of a home. I grew up in the north and knew someone who had to fill their inground w/ dirt just so the house would sell.
Either way, an above ground pool is really kind of ghetto.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Homeless

Haha, thanks Scrib

virus7 - same here. We had an above ground and we used it less and less as well. Funny though, I used it more when I moved out and got married then I did when I was older but living at home . The one good thing about the new pools is that they are self-cleaning. They don't clean themselves 100%, but they are a whole lot less maintenance then "the old days". The inground we were looking at had an automatic vacuum and automatic chlorinator, so it tested the water and adjusted the chemicals accordingly, all automatically!! Crazy stuff.
Our above ground has the automatic betle-bug that vacuums...and we use a silver cartridge to keep the chlorine to a minimum(apparently, bacteria & silver don't get along). My pops adds a few chlorine pellets once a week...that's it. Skimmer & beetlebug vac do the rest.

And Junior...a pool is still an investment...above/below...doesn't matter. An inground pool can be "ghetto" if the owners are fucking slobs. Nothing ghetto about relaxing in a well-maintained pool when it's 90 degrees outside...
Old 08-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

FYI, we priced out an above ground pool that would be the same size as the in-ground pool we were looking at. Pool would have been around 10k-11k loaded (lighting, top of the line pumps, auto cleaners, etc)... plus figure 10k for some pimp decking and landscaping, and it wasn't as cheap as we thought.

But, the deciding factor in everything.... we just got a copy of the HOA by-laws... above ground pools are prohibited, soooooo, that makes that decision easier
Old 08-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
I think I'm going to pick up one of those 2-3 foot deep above ground inflatable pools w/pump/filter for $100-$200 at Walmart
Old 08-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by doopstr
I think I'm going to pick up one of those 2-3 foot deep above ground inflatable pools w/pump/filter for $100-$200 at Walmart

Put a few around the yard...maybe 3 or 4...really improves the look of the property.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Put a few around the yard...maybe 3 or 4...really improves the look of the property.
hahaha. Yeah, I've heard they bring up the value of the trailer when you do more then two
Old 08-29-2005, 01:08 PM
Homeless

hahaha. Yeah, I've heard they bring up the value of the trailer when you do more then two
Old 08-29-2005, 01:17 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
My buddy has a "built-in" above ground as you describe it.

It looks stupid if you ask me.

If you're going to get a pool, get an in-ground. If it's too much right now, hold off and do it next year or something. Why spend half the money and half ass it?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by soopa
My buddy has a "built-in" above ground as you describe it.

It looks stupid if you ask me.

If you're going to get a pool, get an in-ground. If it's too much right now, hold off and do it next year or something. Why spend half the money and half ass it?
Agreed. We actually went to an above ground pool place this weekend, and saw a "built-in" type.... didn't look right... so that's when we decided to go with the in-ground. The fact that we read the HOA by-laws yesterday and found out that only in-ground pools were approved just made the decision more definitive