American Home Shield Class Action Lawsuit!

Old 12-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
American Home Shield Class Action Lawsuit!

Just got a notice in the mail about a class action lawsuit against American Home Shield! If you purchased or were issued a home warranty contract through them or any of their affiliates between July 24th, 2001 and October 19th, 2009, you are included.

I'm glad to see this as I've heard that they've denied claims numerous times based on "improper maintenance" that they were contractually obligated to cover. This happened to a co-worker of mine a few years back.

The sellers of my home purchased a 1 year warranty through them for me. Although I haven't had to deal with them yet, hopefully something comes of this for those who have!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:18 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
By just having them do you win anything or only if you filed a claim?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Sweet!

I went over the paperwork I got in the mail and it looks like you've had to have filed a claim.

If you have or had a Home Service Contract with American Home Shield or any of it affiliates, and if you had or have a claim with respect to such Contract, you may be a Class Member and your rights may be affected.
It also states that you don't need to do anything if you fall under the above...you only need to take action if you want to be excluded from the lawsuit.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:41 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
Fuck American Home Shield. They have refused numerous claims that I have filled.

I called them out twice to fix faulty valves in my bathroom. All they fixed what the gasket which is a .10 part, but cost me 60 bucks. That happened twice. Then they told me that is all they would fix, so in the end it cost me 900 bucks to do both valves in both showers.

Our HVAC went out in the middle of July and they denied that claim as well because of "improper maintanence". So that was another 4.5k out of pocket for a new HVAC unit.

One of my springs in my garage door broke so my garage door would not go up with the opener. I tried making a claim against that and they said that they only cover mechanical items that would stop the garage door from going up. I argued that it will not go up without manual force. Well, that was their out. It would still go up but not with the opener. They would replace an opener, but not the springs.. So that was 150 bucks out of pocket.

I canceled their "service" as soon as they denied my claim about my garage door.

Not to mention their SHITTY customer service. I got hung up on twice. Partly my fault for losing my cool. All I asked was "WTF am I paying you for?" Not in the nicest tone, but I was pretty much fed up at that point.

I have not heard anything about this class action lawsuit.

Last edited by SwervinCL; 12-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
I just got my paperwork about it in the mail yesterday. I had a home warranty through them when I purchased the house, but never made any claims.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:07 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm a realtor & a many of my clients have purchase AHS throughout my 6 years selling real estate, I will look into this some more.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,467 Likes on 3,061 Posts
I was denied multiple claims from them, maybe I'll get something out of it Just got my packet yesterday
Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Sweet!

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
Fuck American Home Shield. They have refused numerous claims that I have filled.

I called them out twice to fix faulty valves in my bathroom. All they fixed what the gasket which is a .10 part, but cost me 60 bucks. That happened twice. Then they told me that is all they would fix, so in the end it cost me 900 bucks to do both valves in both showers.

Our HVAC went out in the middle of July and they denied that claim as well because of "improper maintanence". So that was another 4.5k out of pocket for a new HVAC unit.

One of my springs in my garage door broke so my garage door would not go up with the opener. I tried making a claim against that and they said that they only cover mechanical items that would stop the garage door from going up. I argued that it will not go up without manual force. Well, that was their out. It would still go up but not with the opener. They would replace an opener, but not the springs.. So that was 150 bucks out of pocket.

I canceled their "service" as soon as they denied my claim about my garage door.

Not to mention their SHITTY customer service. I got hung up on twice. Partly my fault for losing my cool. All I asked was "WTF am I paying you for?" Not in the nicest tone, but I was pretty much fed up at that point.

I have not heard anything about this class action lawsuit.
THIS is why I hope something good comes out of this!!!

I can post the paperwork I got in the mail if anybody wants...dunno if it'd be of any use.

The only reason why I have AHS is because it was bought for me...I would've never paid for it myself simply because of all of the horror stories I've heard about them finding ways to NOT cover repairs.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by thunder04
THIS is why I hope something good comes out of this!!!

I can post the paperwork I got in the mail if anybody wants...dunno if it'd be of any use.

The only reason why I have AHS is because it was bought for me...I would've never paid for it myself simply because of all of the horror stories I've heard about them finding ways to NOT cover repairs.
I am gonna check my mail today when I get home. If it does not come in the next couple days I may have you email it to me if that is possible?

TBH, I could care less if I get any money out of it. I would just have satisfaction in knowing that they got their balls slammed against the wall.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Sweet!

Originally Posted by SwervinCL
I am gonna check my mail today when I get home. If it does not come in the next couple days I may have you email it to me if that is possible?

TBH, I could care less if I get any money out of it. I would just have satisfaction in knowing that they got their balls slammed against the wall.
I can e-mail you the papers for sure...just let me know!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Originally Posted by thunder04
I can e-mail you the papers for sure...just let me know!
I got it in the mail yesterday. Thanks a lot anyways though.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I got the notice too. I'm "covered" in the suit but I don't think I'll get anything because I think you have to send the law firm records of services AHS denied and I don't have the exact dates of the multiple incidents. I am glad they are being sued though; they deserve to be and I hope they lose....big.

I have been denied multiple times by them, but most of the time wasn't anything major so I fixed it myself. Most of the time I've called with problems, they said they don't cover it. They also denied a water pipe burst I had a couple of years back. I also had garage door springs break, and guess what, ANOTHER "We don't cover that" response.

I really think AHS is a scam; what's the point of paying all this money when they don't cover anything major? I'm paying $472/year and gotten much more denials than approvals. Also when you do get someone to come out and look at something, even if they can't (or don't) fix it the problem, they still charge you $60. If their contractors do fix something, chances are, it will break again and you'll have to pay another $60 to have them come out again. I had my dishwasher "fixed" by them, only to have it start giving me problems again a few months later. I finally fixed it myself without having to pay $60.

I just got my renewal notice from American Home Scam, but I'm not renewing them. In fact I'm probably going to cancel them long before my new effective date. When they ask why, I'm going to simply tell them, its too much money and they don't cover anything anyway.

I'm looking for another warranty company to replace AHS, but I'm beginning to wonder if all home warranties are scams.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 01-13-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
I got the notice too. I'm "covered" in the suit but I don't think I'll get anything because I think you have to send the law firm records of services AHS denied and I don't have the exact dates of the multiple incidents. I am glad they are being sued though; they deserve to be and I hope they lose....big.

I have been denied multiple times by them, but most of the time wasn't anything major so I fixed it myself. Most of the time I've called with problems, they said they don't cover it. They also denied a water pipe burst I had a couple of years back. I also had garage door springs break, and guess what, ANOTHER "We don't cover that" response.

I really think AHS is a scam; what's the point of paying all this money when they don't cover anything major? I'm paying $472/year and gotten much more denials than approvals. Also when you do get someone to come out and look at something, even if they can't (or don't) fix it the problem, they still charge you $60. If their contractors do fix something, chances are, it will break again and you'll have to pay another $60 to have them come out again. I had my dishwasher "fixed" by them, only to have it start giving me problems again a few months later. I finally fixed it myself without having to pay $60.

I just got my renewal notice from American Home Scam, but I'm not renewing them. In fact I'm probably going to cancel them long before my new effective date. When they ask why, I'm going to simply tell them, its too much money and they don't cover anything anyway.

I'm looking for another warranty company to replace AHS, but I'm beginning to wonder if all home warranties are scams.
Put that money that you were going to put into the warranty into a CD or something like that and watch it grow. Much more effective than a warranty IMO.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I've received two notifications so far.

I had their warranty last year, which was purchased at my cost during the house buying process. It cost like $585 or something like that, which I discovered later. Fucking real estate agent didn't tell me. I would've opted out.

They called me multiple times to renew, but I let them all go to voicemail. Fuck 'em.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:15 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I've received two notifications so far.

I had their warranty last year, which was purchased at my cost during the house buying process. It cost like $585 or something like that, which I discovered later. Fucking real estate agent didn't tell me. I would've opted out.

They called me multiple times to renew, but I let them all go to voicemail. Fuck 'em.
Good for you!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Put that money that you were going to put into the warranty into a CD or something like that and watch it grow. Much more effective than a warranty IMO.

I wouldn't have even thought about a Home warranty but it was included when I bought the house. I knew about it but didn't opt out because it was free (for the first year). I just ended up keeping it after the first year because I figured it would be useful when things broke. Now I realize that its really a waste of money; paying nearly $500 now (+$60 for service calls) for something that doesn't really cover anything. I've been in my house since 2003; almost 7 years. Six of those years I've had to pay for the warranty out of my own pocket. The price has gone up since I first started paying for it, but I figure an average of $450/year for 6 years = $2,700 they got out of me (not including the service calls) while they constantly deny coverage.

I've been meaning to cancel them for the longest, but just never got around to it. I will finally stop beating around the bush and tell these guys to go hell.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
Sweet!

I can finally say I have experience with AHS. If you frequent the "So what's everyone doing today?" thread, you may have seen my posts about a water main leak.

Cliffs:

- I discovered water main leak, called AHS.
- I described the location of the leak to AHS representative, told them that it's in the middle of my front lawn.
- AHS dispatched a plumber this morning
- Plumber told me that it's most likely not going to be covered
- Plumber was correct, AHS told me that it was outside of my main foundation, therefore not covered.

What I don't understand is why the AHS representative I called couldn't have told me this from the beginning? I told her that the leak was in the middle of my front lawn. Obviously, this is away from the home and most definitely outside of the "main foundation". I mean, WTF?!

When I get the $60 "copay" bill, I'm fighting it.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Safety Car

I had the same thing with the water line, except I couldn't find my leak, It could have possibly been under my foundation, but they said something like I needed to find the leak myself to be sure. The companies I called wanted upwards of $600 just for leak detection so I just said fuck it and got a new water line, this is the second time this old line had sprung a leak.

I just canceled them last Friday after being on hold for over 20 minutes. The guy a spoke to was an asshole which gave me even more incentive to get rid of these people.

I got a letter from them a few days later and it was probably the coldest cancellation conformation letter I've received, no "Sorry you're leaving", it just basically said "any claims after 1/25/2010 will not be covered".

Well many claims BEFORE 1/25/2010 weren't covered either.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 02-02-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Sweet!

Ok, so I got a bill from AHS for the $60 service fee. I replied with a letter explaining why I felt I shouldn't be charged the fee.

A lady from AHS called me a while ago and we talked about it. At first, she tried to offer me a coupon for the next service. I told her that it's unlikely we'll use AHS again, so that would be no good.

We talked back and forth for 15 minutes or so and I explained the situation and took fault of not knowing the details of my contract, but stressed that I clearly explained where the leak was to the representative and how I felt about there not being any mention of no coverage outside of the main foundation.

In the end, she offered to cover half ($30), and I agreed. I felt that was reasonable since I was partially at fault (being a dumb-ass and not analyzing the contract).

So now I get to procrastinate at paying them $30.

Edit: In hindsight, I should have tried trading the rest of my coverage period for the service fee. My coverage ends at the end of June and I highly highly doubt I'll need it. Oh well.

Maybe I can call back?

Last edited by thunder04; 03-26-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got this paperwork in the mail and missplaced it. I want to be included in the lawsuit. No one should join AMS. I have been having trouble with them covering my work on HVAC, Well Pump and plumbing. I need someone to email me the paperwork pleaseeee. DMWTUZZ@WILDBLUE.NET
These people are not to be trusted. They also lied when I joined. They told me my aerobic system was covered. That was the main reason I went with them. Then found out they lied. The Air Conditioner Company they sent out does not know what they are doing. The last worker they sent out said the company was comprised of excons and sex offenders. The man even has been stocking my daughter. It is terrible. Can someone please help me and send me the paperwork?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
6th Gear

My correct email address is DMWTBUZZ@WILDBLUE.NET I have missplaced the paperwork. Read my earlier reply but I did a typo error on the email address. Sorry
Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 AM
6th Gear

American Home Shield Lawsuit

I got this paperwork in the mail and missplaced it. I want to be included in the lawsuit. No one should join AMS. I have been having trouble with them covering my work on HVAC, Well Pump and plumbing. I need someone to email me the paperwork pleaseeee. DMWTBUZZ@WILDBLUE.NET
These people are not to be trusted. They also lied when I joined. They told me my aerobic system was covered. That was the main reason I went with them. Then found out they lied. The Air Conditioner Company they sent out does not know what they are doing. The last worker they sent out said the company was comprised of excons and sex offenders. The man even has been stocking my daughter. It is terrible. Can someone please help me and send me the paperwork?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM
6th Gear

AMS Lawsuit

I lost my paperwork. Can you email me an address where I can join the lawsuit. I've had so much trouble with them. I am so upset. Have 2 multi handicapped children and cardiac husband. Having trouble with the AC here in Texas. Please help me. dmwtbuzz@wildblue.net
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 09-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I guess I'm the only one with positive comments.

Warranty was purchased by the seller when we bought our house.

Had them replace one of the burners and one of the heating coils on our stove.
Had them fix our A/C unit (was low on freon).

Overall they've been great.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Redfeather, you should be able to search for it on google. Try here:

www.edlesonclassaction.com
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
6th Gear

gatrhumphy

I have been googling all day and yesterday. I have tried that website last week. It is not responding for some reason and I just tried it again with no luck. But thank you for the suggestion.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM
6th Gear

I am shopping for a new warranty person who covers a 10 yr old double wide. I have googled and could not find anyone reputible or any good. I am beginning to think they are all scams.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Most warranty coverages are scams.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Instructor

Yup. I got the seller to cover a one year warranty with them just for the hell of it. I'm not planning on using it unless something pricey (i.e. HVAC) dies.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Most warranty coverages are scams.
Bottom line is you actually have to read what's covered and what's not.

I've submitted three claims and all three were covered no problem.

AC unit
cooktop burner dead
Oven coil dead
Old 09-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Bottom line is you actually have to read what's covered and what's not.

I've submitted three claims and all three were covered no problem.

AC unit
cooktop burner dead
Oven coil dead
I guess I should have restated.

I have used AHS, read what was covered, and have gotten things covered before.