Acid Staining Concrete, Anybody Ever Done It?

Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acid Staining Concrete, Anybody Ever Done It?

Just had the front porch poured today and was looking at staining it. There are lots of cool patterns and colors, but if you screw it up it's permanent. Anybody ever tried it?

http://www.concretecamouflage.com/ou...in_picture.cfm
Old 04-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No, some of those look really really good IMHO
Old 04-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never done it but I have seen it done (with a different product though) and it looks awesome. The one I saw done was on a house being built. It was built on a slab and the builder used the slab as the floor for the kitchen and bathrooms. The made the concrete look like tiles (they had strings or something that they pulled out just before the concrete dried all the way) then they used some kinda stain on there that made it look awesome.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The ones ive seen have always looked really good.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
I like the saddle color, have seen it in a pub near our home. Wanna do it in our basement.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Just had the front porch poured today and was looking at staining it. There are lots of cool patterns and colors, but if you screw it up it's permanent. Anybody ever tried it?

http://www.concretecamouflage.com/ou...in_picture.cfm
I'm not sure if you mean this literally, or are just asking if anyone has this in their homes.

If you meant it literally (done as a DIY), I would suggest strongly against it. Leave it to the professionals --- there is a definite finesse in making it look authentic if you are hoping to mimic a natural stone and its characteristics, etc. It definitely takes talent, skill, practice, and knowledge.

If you were just wondering if anyone has seen the end results --- I've never seen it in person, but have seen it done at least 3 times on tv. The results were amazing!! Again, a huge part of that is using the right products and finding the right talent.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Again, a huge part of that is using the right products and finding the right talent.
If you saw it done on TV, how long did it the process take - aren't the vapors strong? Presume you have to vacate the premises for a few days...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
If you saw it done on TV, how long did it the process take - aren't the vapors strong? Presume you have to vacate the premises for a few days...
Well, it was shown on a few different episodes of an HGTV show. It's tv...I can't really comment on the specifics, only that I saw them create really great looking natural-stone patterns, and quality work, with short explanations as they were doing it. I've seen them do a few walkways (to the front door), a porch, and a huge indoor barn floor. But this specific show called in a local company (those projects were done by two different companies, in different episodes) to do this aspect of the work the show was doing on a house.

I definitely thought it took a lot of knowledge and artistic talent in order to really make it look "true" and not just like you threw some dye on the floor. I guess it really depends on how complicated you want it to be and how confident you feel.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I'm not sure if you mean this literally, or are just asking if anyone has this in their homes.

If you meant it literally (done as a DIY), I would suggest strongly against it. Leave it to the professionals --- there is a definite finesse in making it look authentic if you are hoping to mimic a natural stone and its characteristics, etc. It definitely takes talent, skill, practice, and knowledge.

If you were just wondering if anyone has seen the end results --- I've never seen it in person, but have seen it done at least 3 times on tv. The results were amazing!! Again, a huge part of that is using the right products and finding the right talent.

Both actually. I think you're partially correct... If you want to emulate real stone etc then it's something best left to a pro. But I think I just want to stain it. I've tried contacting a few local people, but they've all been really flaky so far.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Still working on this project, I found another DIY company.

http://www.dcsurfaces.com/