Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Disneyland Half Marathon - Sept 2, 2012

Old 01-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Disneyland Half Marathon - Sept 2, 2012

Just signed up for the Disneyland Half Marathon going to take place on September 2nd, 2012 (http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events...-half-marathon).

I've never ran a marathon before and haven't exercised in a long while. I'm not in horrible shape, but I wish I had kept up with exercising regularly. I figured this half-marathon would be a good way to get me motivated to get back into exercising and have some fun and have a goal to work towards. At least I have over 8 months to train as long as I run regularly.

Anyone else going to be participating in this event?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Not me, but start now and you will finish.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Sly, you've got some serious work ahead of you.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Team Owner

I agree, but I'm confident it's something I can accomplish. I'm not overweight, just in bad shape (low endurance). Improving my diet, running regularly and doing some weight training will help me meet my goal.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
I agree, but I'm confident it's something I can accomplish. I'm not overweight, just in bad shape (low endurance). Improving my diet, running regularly and doing some weight training will help me meet my goal.
No doubt you can do it!

Get yourself up to a consistent easy 5k+ (about 3-4 mile runs) then IIRC you can start the beginner C2 1/2 marathon beginner training for about 12-15 weeks.

Put quite a bit of time aside for training.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:13 AM
registered pw

Pay attention to any pain and post here if you need help. I am sure someone can help or point you in the right direction.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Are/were you running at all? If not slowly introduce your body to running! I'd start out with walking/running a mile then building from there. You don't want to overdo it. runnersworld.com has a bunch of training plans for new runners to get you to finish a 5k, HM, etc. With the HM, being so far away, may not be a bad idea to follow a couch to 5k program first. It will slowly get you to running some mileage each week.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:27 AM
registered pw

and build slowly.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Team Owner

Thanks for the help guys. I'm definitely gonna start off slow. I was gonna try out a technique where I would split my minutes running in ratios like 10/50 (run 10 seconds, walk 50), and seeing how I do from there and at first, very slowly increasing the ratios to see how my body does. I learned of this technique by an Olympian, can't remember his name off hand, that provided a training program for beginners. His program has you using this technique, but he instructs you to start in May and his program ends the week of the race. Screw that, I'm starting now.

Luckily I don't have any knee issues and other than my right ankle which I sprained a number of years ago, never had any issues with my legs. They actually used to be really strong so I need to build it back up.

As far as gear is concerned, I've got a newer pair of asics running shoes, only wore them a couple times last year when I tried to get into running. I've heard toe socks make a big difference when it comes to running is this true?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 AM
registered pw

I would stay away from cotton socks, normally i pay $10-15 per pair.

good call on starting early, the mileage and earlier start will make it much easier to finish stronger.

Last edited by dallison; 01-24-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added some stuff
Old 01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

+1 to starting early....go slow and build....to avoid injury(s)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
registered pw

Don't try and do stupid stuff like i did when i began running again. I ran a one mile downhill race and was trying to get under 5 minutes. I almost got it but the hill got my knee.

Be careful running downhill until you get real comfortable with it. Our knees aren't like when we were teenagers. You may have been active but not running for 10-15 years but running downhill will hurt them.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Sly I think you are referring to Jeff Galloway's training plans. I believe all of his plans combine some form of run/walking even for marathoners trying to break 3 hrs. I agree that one of his plans would probably be great for you as the walk/run will allow you to slowly get used to running and adding mileage.

As far as socks go, I'm with Daillison, I typically spend around $10-$15 bucks on socks. I've never tried the Injinji toe socks though. I stick to what I know works for me. I use Smartwool PhD running socks, Balega running socks, or my CEP compression socks. Those are really the only three brands of socks I own and run in. They aren't cheap, but blisters aren't fun! In order to save some money, I buy them online, found runningwarehouse.com to be the cheapest usually. If you use the code RUNBLOG10 at checkout you'll save an additional 10%, plus they give you free 2-day shipping.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dallison
Don't try and do stupid stuff like i did when i began running again. I ran a one mile downhill race and was trying to get under 5 minutes. I almost got it but the hill got my knee.

Be careful running downhill until you get real comfortable with it. Our knees aren't like when we were teenagers. You may have been active but not running for 10-15 years but running downhill will hurt them.
But running downhill at full sprint is so much fun!

Originally Posted by '06 Arctic
Sly I think you are referring to Jeff Galloway's training plans. I believe all of his plans combine some form of run/walking even for marathoners trying to break 3 hrs. I agree that one of his plans would probably be great for you as the walk/run will allow you to slowly get used to running and adding mileage.
You are correct. I couldn't think of his name when I made the OP. The walk/run approach combined with the fact that I'm starting early will hopefully help me transition to an all running program much quicker. Had I started much later, it probably would have been a lost cause.

As far as socks go, I'm with Daillison, I typically spend around $10-$15 bucks on socks. I've never tried the Injinji toe socks though. I stick to what I know works for me. I use Smartwool PhD running socks, Balega running socks, or my CEP compression socks. Those are really the only three brands of socks I own and run in. They aren't cheap, but blisters aren't fun! In order to save some money, I buy them online, found runningwarehouse.com to be the cheapest usually. If you use the code RUNBLOG10 at checkout you'll save an additional 10%, plus they give you free 2-day shipping.
I know all about the $10-15 per pair of socks. I love Smart Wool socks. They are the most comfortable pairs of socks I've ever worn. I bought a pair of Injinji toe socks a few weeks ago to use up my dividend at REI before it expired. I've worn them a few times already and they are comfortable. I've never gotten blisters in the past when I exercised, but I certainly don't want to start so I think I'll get a couple more pairs that can last me each week.

Here are the socks that I got: http://www.rei.com/product/822128/in...-crew-toesocks And for the record I did not get the pink socks.

Thanks for the tip about runningwarehouse.com. I think that it'll come in handy soon.

Last edited by Sly Raskal; 01-26-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Sly - any other thoughs about the Injinji socks? I've always wondered about them, but never wanted to buy a pair and then hate them. I just don't think I'd like that feeling of having each toe in its on "sleeve". I could see where if someone wore VFF's that these socks would come in handy if you wanted to wear a pair of socks with them.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Team Owner

Sly - any other thoughs about the Injinji socks? I've always wondered about them, but never wanted to buy a pair and then hate them. I just don't think I'd like that feeling of having each toe in its on "sleeve". I could see where if someone wore VFF's that these socks would come in handy if you wanted to wear a pair of socks with them.
The first day I wore them they felt weird, but after a little bit of time passed it didn't even feel like I was wearing toe socks. Takes a few seconds more to put on because you gotta get each toe into the sleeves, but no biggie.

I've worn them three times now and they don't bother me at all. I have noticed though that my toes have felt colder when I wear these compared to regular socks. That will probably be an advantage when I'm running.

To be honest, you gotta buy a pair and try them. Everyone's feet/toes are different so it's hard to say that you'll like them. My wife raved about them for years, but I thought they were weird. I understand it's $15, but I would give it a try. Worst case, if you have kids, they can be funny puppets for them.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

update?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Update! How's the training going?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Sadly, it hasn't. :ashamed: I thought this year was going to get better but it hasn't. I need to be more aggressive about getting stuff done so that I can have more time in my day. Although much of what has happened that has kept me from starting my training was out of my control. My daughter got sick 3 times in the last 2 months with last week being the worst, we ended up in the ER twice because for three days straight she was running a 105+ degree fever. Before that I got sick and was out of commission for about a week. My wife got a new job and her last day is today and since we carpool I've been getting home later because of all the extra stuff she has to do. In addition, we've had some bad weather in our area, really high winds (The Santa Ana's, Moog knows about these) which kick up a bunch of dirt/sand which would have made it hard to run even if I had tried. Not to mention drama at work that I've been having to deal with which unfortunately has meant more work I have had to bring home.

I've been thinking about all this and it just annoys me that I haven't worked harder to improve the situation, but at the end of the day I'm so exhausted and frustrated that the thought of having to work harder either ticks me off or discourages me.

In any case, I've been talking to my wife about schedule and the things I need help with so my goal is to improve things this weekend and I will start training on Saturday.

I do have some good news about my health which I received on my bday last thursday, My Cholesterol has dropped from 232, to 187 and my LDL went from 160 down to 120. My HDL is only at a 42 so I'm hoping that will go up as I exercise. My doctor was shocked that this improvement was strictly from improving my diet. Hearing this news made me feel better and more confident that although I haven't begun training, that I have been taking the correct steps at improving my health. Now I just need to be more disciplined in getting the training going and that's all on me. I'll report back in one week and let you know how the start goes. My plan is to run every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, with longer runs occurring on Saturday. I may switch this up though and run on Monday and play some basketball or do weight training on Tuesday nights. I need to slowly getting into the routine and see what works best for my body.

I hope I can keep my spirits up.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
You can do it!! :gheyhug:
Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Sadly, it hasn't. :ashamed: I thought this year was going to get better but it hasn't. I need to be more aggressive about getting stuff done so that I can have more time in my day. Although much of what has happened that has kept me from starting my training was out of my control. My daughter got sick 3 times in the last 2 months with last week being the worst, we ended up in the ER twice because for three days straight she was running a 105+ degree fever. Before that I got sick and was out of commission for about a week. My wife got a new job and her last day is today and since we carpool I've been getting home later because of all the extra stuff she has to do. In addition, we've had some bad weather in our area, really high winds (The Santa Ana's, Moog knows about these) which kick up a bunch of dirt/sand which would have made it hard to run even if I had tried. Not to mention drama at work that I've been having to deal with which unfortunately has meant more work I have had to bring home.

I've been thinking about all this and it just annoys me that I haven't worked harder to improve the situation, but at the end of the day I'm so exhausted and frustrated that the thought of having to work harder either ticks me off or discourages me.

In any case, I've been talking to my wife about schedule and the things I need help with so my goal is to improve things this weekend and I will start training on Saturday.

I do have some good news about my health which I received on my bday last thursday, My Cholesterol has dropped from 232, to 187 and my LDL went from 160 down to 120. My HDL is only at a 42 so I'm hoping that will go up as I exercise. My doctor was shocked that this improvement was strictly from improving my diet. Hearing this news made me feel better and more confident that although I haven't begun training, that I have been taking the correct steps at improving my health. Now I just need to be more disciplined in getting the training going and that's all on me. I'll report back in one week and let you know how the start goes. My plan is to run every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, with longer runs occurring on Saturday. I may switch this up though and run on Monday and play some basketball or do weight training on Tuesday nights. I need to slowly getting into the routine and see what works best for my body.

I hope I can keep my spirits up.
It's tough to train with family & kids. No doubt about it.
That's probably the hardest part of it: just finding time to be able to train.

Don't give up. Even in the worst scenario switch to a different race and do a 5k. Train for a race...any race and accomplish your goal.

Good to hear your health is improving. Training will only improve it further.

As for the Santa Ana winds....oof! I've unfortunately had to go out a few times and run in them. NOT fun at all!! It really becomes a mind over matter thing when running into strong head winds. However...wind at your back is quite nice.

Best of luck...keep us posted
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Team Owner

Thanks for the support, it truly does help.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
registered pw

Don't go too long too soon, you don't want to get injured.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ That's what she said?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 AM
registered pw

As long as you get the job done
Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Team Owner

Santa Ana's starting kicking up again yesterday and are having fun outside our home right now.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,985 Posts
one month to go...

Well more like 3 weeks.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:17 PM

That bad huh?
Old 08-13-2012, 04:51 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ It looked like back in March he was gonna let this race slide.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:40 PM

Yea just wanted to know the outcome since it was 5 mos ago.. Ohh well.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Team Owner

Well, with my work schedule being as ridiculous as it's been and with home life being as busy as it's been I just havne't had the time, let alone the energy to get to running. I really tried hard to get a routine started but couldn't keep it up. Being on overtime at work since the end of May made it even more challenging. But I'm not gonna quit, I'm still gonna go out there and give it a try. Even if I end up walking most of it, I don't care, I'm gonna try and do my best.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Glad to see you are still gonna give it a shot!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Team Owner

And to add, my right ankle hasn't been cooperating. I sprained it many years ago and thought it had healed fine, but even with a good pair of running shoes with ortho inserts my right ankle just swells up and gets really tight making it hard to run on. Haven't been able to go to the doctor to get it looked it. Any of you have some suggestions of things I could do to help it. I'm guessing that scar tissue built up in it.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

And to add, my right ankle hasn't been cooperating. I sprained it many years ago and thought it had healed fine, but even with a good pair of running shoes with ortho inserts my right ankle just swells up and gets really tight making it hard to run on. Haven't been able to go to the doctor to get it looked it. Any of you have some suggestions of things I could do to help it. I'm guessing that scar tissue built up in it.
Here's a thought:

Disneyland rents wheelchairs.
You rent the wheelchair.....I'll push ya.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

So I hope I can finish, even if I walk.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Good luck
Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
He hasn't chimed in yet. hopefully he didn't pass out.

or maybe he caught the disney trolley.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Quick Reply: Disneyland Half Marathon - Sept 2, 2012