Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just got back from the dealership

as others have reported, the dealership stated ILX and RDX would be addressed first; when I asked about mine(14 TL), he stated they had specifically ordered "my" replacement when I came in 2 months ago for the courtesy loaner(MDX).

They are still anticipating sometime in May for the first TL parts to come; sounds like the priority is based on who actually came in and "placed" a replacement order
Old 04-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by soniczoom5
just got back from the dealership

as others have reported, the dealership stated ILX and RDX would be addressed first; when I asked about mine(14 TL), he stated they had specifically ordered "my" replacement when I came in 2 months ago for the courtesy loaner(MDX).

They are still anticipating sometime in May for the first TL parts to come; sounds like the priority is based on who actually came in and "placed" a replacement order
I was told when I called in early March that the parts were coming in during the summer and I couldn't put my name on a list. Plus I was never told I could get a replacement vehicle, but to wait it out. I found out about the rental car on this forum. Also I wanted to wait to get the actual recall notice in the mail (which didn't show up until the end of March).

That's annoying. I didn't get the rental car soon enough I guess.

Last edited by lbotez; 04-26-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jt4 . I am also in NY . Southern NY. I am currently waiting for dealer to call this week with a car loaner or rental . I stopped into Plaza Acura and gave all my info to the service rep . Any advice you can share ? Thanks Ron
Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Just got an email from a dealer I have visited in the past that wanted to "inform" the customers about the recall. In the letter it says that none of the air bag explosions that caused injuries have happened in any Honda/Acuras cars. I questioned them on it, and he said he meant the NEW inflators they installed not the old ones, they knew about those .
Umm.....what ?
It's unfortunate that some dealers are downplaying the severity of this issue.
Maybe this issue has only happened in older Honda/Acura's cars only, or maybe that's all that's been reported. Not sure, but there is a reason Honda is losing millions upon millions on this recall.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I just got a call from Enterprise, they said its been 80 days and I need to come in and swap my car out before 90 days. They said I do need to change vehicles. I am a bit frustrated as they originally said I only needed to bring it in if it needs an oil change. I also don't want to swap it out, I don't like it, but I don't want to play crappy car roulette.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:41 PM
Advanced

Well, we had a big hail storm here last night. My local dealer insisted I store my TL myself (I'd have wanted to anyway). So it was in my garage space last night.

The rental was in the driveway. It suffered significant hail damage! Now I'm wondering what will happen, and what is "right".

I don't want my insurance to pay the cost of hail repair for the rental, and I don't want to even be out my deductible!

Is it fair to expect Acura to pay for the hail damage to the rental? After all, if it weren't for the recall, NO car would have been parked in my driveway... :/
The following users liked this post:
musty hustla (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RKEnnis
Well, we had a big hail storm here last night. My local dealer insisted I store my TL myself (I'd have wanted to anyway). So it was in my garage space last night.

The rental was in the driveway. It suffered significant hail damage! Now I'm wondering what will happen, and what is "right".

I don't want my insurance to pay the cost of hail repair for the rental, and I don't want to even be out my deductible!

Is it fair to expect Acura to pay for the hail damage to the rental? After all, if it weren't for the recall, NO car would have been parked in my driveway... :/
Bummer. Unless you took the insurance from Enterprise, I'm afraid you are liable for damage and will have to make a claim on your personal insurance. At least it's a comprehensive claim. But I doubt you'll see any money to pay for your deductible.

Those are the breaks... Interested to hear on how it's all handled....
Old 04-27-2016, 08:24 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by ron07rdx
Hi Jt4 . I am also in NY . Southern NY. I am currently waiting for dealer to call this week with a car loaner or rental . I stopped into Plaza Acura and gave all my info to the service rep . Any advice you can share ? Thanks Ron
I'm in the NYC / LI area.. Most of the advice I would offer has already been posted here, but here is a brief summary and if I missed anything I'm sure someone will add on.

Make sure your insurance company doesn't require you get any extended coverage on the rental since you're going to have it for several months. Just be sure that if you have any issues with the rental you're covered.

I would give the dealer a day to get everything together and if you haven't heard from them give them a call and schedule a time you can go in and get the RO# that the rental company will need to give you a rental. You should not have to pay for anything at the rental office. Some of us have been told that you will need to renew the rental agreement every 30 days and others have been told they don't have to.

All around it's a pretty easy process, a little inconvenient for some of us, but overall you shouldn't experience any issues since most dealers are very well aware how to handle the situation at this point.

Good Luck.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Well I turned in the 2015 Chevy Malibu LTZ after exactly a month. I put over 1,500 miles on it and am now in a 2016 Malibu. It doesn't have leather or remote start like the 2015, but it does have Android Auto, keyless entry/start, and a backup camera (it's also bigger inside and I'm getting about 4 more mpg). It had less than 500 miles when I picked it up so it still has that new car smell!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Drifting

OK this is really starting to suck now. My insurance is state farm, they advised me that state farm offers coverage of only 30 days PER CALENDAR YEAR for car rentals. Which conflicts with a lot of other things I read, but that's what they said. I had thought it was only 30 consecutive days, but now they are saying for the whole year. I have about 3 days to go on my rental. I called Acura Care and asked if they would cover the daily rental insurance, they flat out said NO. Sigh
Old 04-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
OK this is really starting to suck now. My insurance is state farm, they advised me that state farm offers coverage of only 30 days PER CALENDAR YEAR for car rentals. Which conflicts with a lot of other things I read, but that's what they said. I had thought it was only 30 consecutive days, but now they are saying for the whole year. I have about 3 days to go on my rental. I called Acura Care and asked if they would cover the daily rental insurance, they flat out said NO. Sigh
Have you tried contacting your dealer? I've read that some here has gotten their insurance covered through their respective dealers.

If that doesn't work, does state farm have a rental car insurance plan that is cheaper than going with the rental company?

-DeL
Old 04-27-2016, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
OK this is really starting to suck now. My insurance is state farm, they advised me that state farm offers coverage of only 30 days PER CALENDAR YEAR for car rentals. Which conflicts
with a lot of other things I read, but that's what they said. I had thought it was only 30 consecutive days, but now they are saying for the whole year. I have about 3 days to go on my rental. I called Acura Care and asked if they would cover the daily rental insurance, they flat out said NO. Sigh
I also have Statefarm insurance which led me to contact my agent as we speak. My agent did informed me that this varies state to state. However, she will make a few calls to verify that the 30 consecutive days per calendar year will not be an issue. I am waiting for her to give me a call back. I also noted that every 30 days I renew my contract at Enterprise. Location Nevada
Old 04-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
SilverJ, my agent got back to me and she said as long as I renew my rental agreement thru Enterprise every 30 days this is not an issue. Ask you Statefarm Agent to add a (Non-owned coverage) while you have the rental. I've added this protection since Feb. for additional $6 per month on top of my premium. Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RKEnnis

WOW!!!! sorry to hear that! i look forward to seeing how this pans out.

On a personal note, to follow up on my car buying experience. I have started looking at other vehicles to purchase. My current car lease is going to be up soon and it seems like I will be up a creek without a paddle if I don't start exploring other avenues. I do plan on going to Acura one last time before I buy another car to see what they can offer. I doubt it will be anything really. i do plan on getting my deposit back considering I wont be buying the TL after all this mess.

Good luck guys!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:10 PM
Instructor

That sucks. What State do you live in?

I'd make a few calls: Liberty Mutual, Farmers, what have you... You can get a new insurance company pretty easily....
Old 04-28-2016, 07:42 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

I haven't spoke to my SA since I picked up the rental almost a month ago so I figured I would ask for an update.

He confirmed that they have begun repairing the ILX's and RDX's which was ahead of what they originally thought.

As for the TL's, he said they still don't have an ETA on the parts, but is hoping that they get them ahead of schedule like they did on the RDX's and ILX's.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lbotez
That sucks. What State do you live in?

I'd make a few calls: Liberty Mutual, Farmers, what have you... You can get a new insurance company pretty easily....
I am in PA. I am having them call the state farm home office underwriters to make sure this isnt just my local office being dumb. To be clear here, my local state farm office is telling me that state farm will only insure a rental for 30 days PERIOD for a calendar year. Not 30 consecutive days.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have a qq

My TL is under recall and have an AC issue , taking it in tomorrow, are they liable to fix it now or can they give me a hard time because the car is under recall.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Drifting

Got a call from State Farm agent. They changed their tune about it being 30 days per calendar year and asking me to pay additional money for longer. I think they told me the wrong thing and are backtracking but it doesn't matter. I get to keep my current car (or switch out) for as long as I like, insured.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
How many people are paying for their rentals, and how many got theirs for free via dealership, insurance, Acura, etc.?

I have State Farm as well, and would rather not go through the hassle if I know I'm going to get boned in the end. If the airbag issue is truly this severe, then I would think I shouldn't be spending a penny on a rental.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Latest update 4/28/16, per Acura:

TSB 16-010 - Safety Recall: Takata Driver’s Airbag Inflator has been revised with repair procedures and parts information for the following models:

2005-2012 RL
2009-2014 TL
2010-2013 ZDX

Limited quantities of inflator kits will be allocated for the above models and will begin arriving at dealers on April 29, 2016.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by boss2k
Have a qq

My TL is under recall and have an AC issue , taking it in tomorrow, are they liable to fix it now or can they give me a hard time because the car is under recall.
If your car is under warranty the dealer shouldn't give you any problems fixing the AC, one should have nothing to do with the other.

Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
How many people are paying for their rentals, and how many got theirs for free via dealership, insurance, Acura, etc.?

I have State Farm as well, and would rather not go through the hassle if I know I'm going to get boned in the end. If the airbag issue is truly this severe, then I would think I shouldn't be spending a penny on a rental.
It was my understanding that it wouldn't cost the customer anything to take a rental. I have my rental almost a month I am not paying anything for it.

When I picked up the rental I specifically asked my dealer and Enterprise for a third time and they both told me that it won't cost me anything, unless I added on extra insurance through Enterprise.

Since a lot of ILX's and RDX's have been repaired already, maybe someone who has one of them can chime in and let us know if they were charged anything when they returned the rental.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just came back from the dealer regarding my AC compressor issue and they did free diagnosis but parts are not covered under powertrain warranty, pushing the dealer to get it covered from Acura

Met the parts director and he said TL Airbags have started coming from today in limited quantity and i got something in writing from them to show that i am on their list and the airbag is ordered for my car.

Last edited by boss2k; 04-29-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
**UPDATE FROM THE WEST COAST .. .. CALIFORNIA**

I just received an email from the Service manager and they have an inflator for my 2010 Acura TL. So, I will be dropping that off today after work and see whats up. Also, I did get a rental from Enterprise through Acura since about 04/29/16, so I am not sure if that was the case for its expediency.

-DeL
Old 04-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm from New Jersey , I'm going to get my inflators replaced Monday ..Seems like everything is ahead of schedule lol.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had my '12 Advance in for new tires and an oil change this Wednesday. The dealer told me at that time that he was ordering the inflator "for my car," kind of making it sound like when they order them they are assigned to a specific VIN.

He assumed it would be about 30 days to come in based on the most recent info they were dealing with.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm at the dealership getting the inflator replaced right now. They wanted to town my TL to the dealer but after I declined they put the TLX loaner on the truck. I got a phone call from them at 9:30 am to scheduled an appointment. I missed my TL so much that I took the afternoon off work to have this resolved.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LostProphet
I'm at the dealership getting the inflator replaced right now. They wanted to town my TL to the dealer but after I declined they put the TLX loaner on the truck. I got a phone call from them at 9:30 am to scheduled an appointment. I missed my TL so much that I took the afternoon off work to have this resolved.
How long was the work expected to take? An hour?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Estimated time is one hour, this includes a multi point inspection and battery check.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Inflator being replaced as we speak on my 2010 TL.

Looks like they erred on the side of caution in terms of part availability or Acura looked at their monthly enterprise bill and told Takata to speed things up.

I have a V6 TLX as a loaner, havent spent much time with it but I cant say I like it much. Very small, feel like the a-pillar is right in my face and the center console looks really cheap. Good power tho.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Instructor

Wow, this is great news. I miss our TL....

I did just call my Acura dealer; they told me no parts have come in for the TL yet. So you people who are getting them are lucky. Where do you live? Wonder if they are sending them out to humid states like Louisiana and Florida first.

Meanwhile, I have to go back to Enterprise tomorrow and get a new contract...

Last edited by lbotez; 04-29-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTL
Inflator being replaced as we speak on my 2010 TL.

Looks like they erred on the side of caution in terms of part availability or Acura looked at their monthly enterprise bill and told Takata to speed things up.

I have a V6 TLX as a loaner, havent spent much time with it but I cant say I like it much. Very small, feel like the a-pillar is right in my face and the center console looks really cheap. Good power tho.
I was told Takata is not longer the supplier for the updated parts, and it makes sense after the big mess/recall.
On the other hand the only I will miss from the TLX is the tech and safety features, a little annoying sometimes, but I'm so glad to have my TL back.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

just got the call - my parts are in!
Old 04-29-2016, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in NJ. Just got a call that my part is in. Will be replacing it on Monday. I never received a letter from Acura for the recall though. I don't imagine that will be a problem.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 PM
Instructor

FYI, I just noticed the TSB was updated effective yesterday with repair procedures for the TL.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-010.PDF
Old 04-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Originally Posted by ckiggins
FYI, I just noticed the TSB was updated effective yesterday with repair procedures for the TL.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-010.PDF
Yes, see my post # 501.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I just got the call! My part is in, sadly they are booked solid through Monday, and I am out of town Monday-Tuesday, but can come in Wednesday.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
got my inflator replaced today

Hi,

I got a call this morning and had my air bag inflator replaced this afternoon. I'm glad the parts came in sooner than originally stated. It seems that what I was told is true -- they are doing them in the order in which people signed up for a replacement. My dealer told me from the beginning that I was the first to sign up and that I would be the first to get the replacement part.

Gregg
Old 04-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Are we getting phone calls or letters (snail mail) to schedule the repair??
Old 04-29-2016, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Got a call today, The dealer called I'm getting the TL fixed tomorrow morning

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall