Has anyone ever had a THULE roof rack come off while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone ever had a THULE roof rack come off while driving?

So I was on my way to go kayaking with my son today and while on the way there, my THULE roof rack lifted off the roof with both kayaks still attached to it (gouging the paint down to bare metal) and then came back down on my trunk before sliding down the road about 50 feet and destroying my rack and one kayak. I was only going approx 25-30 mph (rack is rated for 65 mph) I have had a THULE rack for about 15 years and have never had a problem with them before. I just purchased my 2013 TL about 11 days ago and installed the proper rack for my vehicle 3 days ago. I used it 1 time 2 days ago with no issues whatsoever. I did put in a claim to my car insurance and also submitted a claim to THULE as well because supposedly they cover something too. Has anyone else had any issues with a THULE roof rack coming off a TL while driving? If so, were you able to make a claim with THULE and what did they cover if anything at all?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Glad no one was hurt with the incident.

That's one of my biggest fear of having a roof rack. A few months ago I installed on my TL a YAKIMA roof rack system with 2 rails for bikes. I can't be lying if I said I'm a tad bit nervous of having the bikes and racks fly off while the car is moving.

To play devil's advocate, I suspect THULE would need to prove the roof clamps/Q-towers (Yakima's name) were properly installed and that the accident happened with proper installation. Other than your word, I'm not sure if you could prove or disprove that claim.

Keep us updated. Hope it gets resolved soon.
The following users liked this post:
meatball1080 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
glad your ok.. but on a serious note.. leave those type of things for cars that are designed to haul things like a kayak.. a truck comes in mind..
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by potmilkz
glad your ok.. but on a serious note.. leave those type of things for cars that are designed to haul things like a kayak.. a truck comes in mind..

That's what I just got done saying to my wife not even 5 minutes ago. I have had these THULE racks on other cars and even on my previous TSX for about a year and a half with no problems. Not sure what went wrong, me or the parts.

Progressive Insurance told me they will cover the cost of the damage to car and maybe even the rack (I hope they do, it's about $600 worth of rack ), but not my kayaks. They said I have to go through my homeowners for that. Still no word back from THULE as of yet. I'll keep you posted
Old 06-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I would have contacted Thule before processing an ins claim because this might (will) adversely affect your premium and might be recorded on the vehicle history. Good luck! I hope Thule helps you out. I had a Thule bike rack on my previous 4G and have nothing but good things to say about it.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
wow. can't say i've had any issues with any cars that i have installed roof racks on. i've driven over 75 mph with a roof rack and gear, never a problem. i've had a roof rack save my car from a fallen branch. i know my brother has never had any issues with roof racks either. i've yakima base racks and thule base racks.

did you check the clips after you installed by pulling on them (pretty aggressively) to insure they were really on there well? i'll be interested to hear what thule has to say.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
The only time I've had an issue with a roof rack (Yakima) was when I drove into the carport with a bike still on top of the car
Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
My friend's rack with 4 snowboards came off his Civic once but it was some cheapo rack he used. He switched to Yakima right away and it hasn't come off yet in about 3 years use. My Yakima rack has been rock solid for 4 years while carrying as many as 5 snowboards at once. I would contact Thule directly. I always pull on the rack aggressively before each use.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had my RSX and Yakima rack on it came off while hauling 2 sets of skis and snowboard... The rack damaged the car and the snowboard, after a lot of communication, estimates (snowboard and car) with Yakima they paid for a New snowboard at the original cost (even though it was a dated model), a new rack, and the damage to the car. I would recommend contacting the store you purchased your rack from and also contacting THULE or having the store help you as they may have a better relationship or know the correct people to contact, if that is possible. Also be persistent because if the corporate culture at thule they are very laid back and it will take some time to get though. I did all of this when I was 16 and its been a while Id be happy to try and help you answer any questions you have.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Intermediate

So just an update, Progressive told me they will cover the cost of everything. I've tried making a claim with Thule, they sent me a form to fill out and told me that they received it and a claims adjuster will be contacting me. The Thule claims adjust called me, left a message and that's the last I've heard from him after several attempts to call Thule back. My insurance adjuster did say that by looking at the rack and the damage to the car it appears the Thule Fit Kit was faulty and broke. They also told me that it will not be an "at fault" claim so this shouldn't affect my rates. Total damage to the car + replacement cost = just under $3500.

Oh, and the Acura dealership gave me a 2014 ILX to use for the week or so that it'll take to repair the car. Just a FYI, the ILX is amazing on gas and that's about it. That car is so extremely under powered it can't get out of it's own way. That said, my wife loves it and said that's what she wants to get when her lease is up.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Ive had my rack on about 4 months and no problems...the Thule criterium hols the bike by the tires and grips the frame.

This make me nervous sometimes because it doesn't seem that secure...I'm used to a fork mount.
Attached Images   
Old 06-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Cruisin'

Thule

I am nervous about this myself. I bought the Thule aero bars and just trying to put them on the car I put a ding in the roof. I was able to minimize it a bit with a dent puller but I am loathe to try to put them on again even despite their high cost..
Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nyyankees
I am nervous about this myself. I bought the Thule aero bars and just trying to put them on the car I put a ding in the roof. I was able to minimize it a bit with a dent puller but I am loathe to try to put them on again even despite their high cost..
I have had Thule roof rack systems for approximately 15 years and this was the only time I've ever had a problem. Apparently upon inspection it was because one of the feet broke at a weld. They are for the most part very high quality and are very easy to put on and take off when not in use. It is just a matter of getting them set up properly and making sure you follow the directions as far as all the measurements for each component.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 AM
Drifting

Keep us update, I want to know what Thule will do about this, if anything.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

So Thule sent me a brand new rack system with all new accessories and a check to cover my deductible and the cost of replacement kayaks. It's been almost a month but they didn't hassle me at all and were very willing to keep me satisfied. Overall a very good experience. Let's just hope it doesn't ever happen again.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by meatball1080
So Thule sent me a brand new rack system with all new accessories and a check to cover my deductible and the cost of replacement kayaks. It's been almost a month but they didn't hassle me at all and were very willing to keep me satisfied. Overall a very good experience. Let's just hope it doesn't ever happen again.
Good to hear Thule takes care of its customers.

God forbid this happens to my Yakima racks...
Old 07-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
wow...Thule AND Progressive are pretty awesome...
Old 07-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
That's good to hear that some companies still stand behind their product. It's definitely one of the most expensive racks but sounds like money well spend.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I know its off topic but I was looking to get a roof rack for my Mtn and road bike. Is there any drilling involved or is it just clamps? whats the price range of these racks and installed, etc. I have a trunk rack but the bikes scracthed my rear bumber on my last car and dont want that again. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DrewQ35
I know its off topic but I was looking to get a roof rack for my Mtn and road bike. Is there any drilling involved or is it just clamps? whats the price range of these racks and installed, etc. I have a trunk rack but the bikes scracthed my rear bumber on my last car and dont want that again. Thanks.
-No drilling, only clamps involved.
-I paid ~$600 from REI for my Yakima roof rack system with 2 bike rails. I suspect Thule is the same. Costs can go up very easily as you add security features, more racks, wind deflector, etc. Roof racks are not cheap.
-I would go with THULE or YAKIMA. Cheap roof rack system doesn't seem to last long.
-While bikes on the roof will not scratch the rear bumper/trunk, one disadvantage I found with roof racks is that one has to be lift the bike on top of the car's roof. If the bike is heavy and one is not in shape, the metal part of the bike's frame, esp after one removes the front wheel, can scratch the roof/sunroof if one is not careful as one is locking the bike on the rack.

I've been trying to convince my wife to go biking. She is not an avid biker, and at only 5'1" she'll be dammed if she's going to lift her bike on top of the roof rack.

But one of the main reasons I got a roof rack was flexibility, I can swap out the bike racks for ski racks/utility racks, etc...

I may want to seriously take up skiing (or even paddle boarding), which my daughter, as she gets older, would like to as well. Buying a set of preowned skiis can easily recoup the cost of ~2-3 rentals, so I decided I want my own set to haul up the ski resorts.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^that's why you use an upright mount for the bike. no front wheel removal.

if she ever starts to ride...her bike will be really light.

yes, roof racks can get pricey. if you can find them used, then you can save a few bucks and just buy the clips specific to the car and the mounts (if you can't find them used).
Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 78 Likes on 73 Posts
Damn...OP got paid!

You gonna put some tint, thump, and shoes on the TL now?
The following users liked this post:
meatball1080 (08-01-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by meatball1080

I'm impressed. Given the circumstances that sounds like close to the best possible outcome .
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrewQ35
For just the crossbars and the roof brackets it'll set you back about $300-400, each accessory, bike rack, ski rack, kayak rack will set you back about $100-250 depending on what model you go with. Go to thule.com and open up the firmament guide. It will ask you about your vehicle and what type of items you're looking to carry. It'll build your rack and give you a price. I bought most of my stuff off eBay for way cheaper than an online store. The only thing I bought new were the roof brackets and car specific fit kit because those are the hardest things to find used. Good luck.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

I had my Thule rack (Aeroblade bars) come off my 2013 TL with two kayaks too. I was on the highway. I got very lucky in that the boats bounced across the opposite lane and onto the shoulder without hitting any cars.

The rack had worked fine for six months before failing.