Acura TL Perforated Seats Maintenance...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:30 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL Perforated Seats Maintenance...

Hey Friends,

Will be purchasing a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ Tech Package, and since it will be coming with perforated seats (mine will be black) I'd like to know how to properly care for them ahead of time.

I've researched google extensively before posting and it seems like everyone has their own opinion so I'd prefer yours here on AcuraZine insead of Lexus forums, and car shop forum, etc.

Some say saddle soap to clean, then Lexol. Some say dawn dish soap then 303 Protectant. I hear more about Lexol so maybe that's more reputable.

Look forward to your input Friends =)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well this is what I do (may not be the best way, but it's my way)

I work on the seats at different times, because the driver seat is sat on the most, followed by passenger, followed by rear seats. So my schedule is as follows, work on:
Driver seat every month
Passenger seat every 2 months, unless it's summer, then every month
Rear seats every 2-3 months, unless summer, then every month

I first wipe down all the seats with a damp cloth.

Then wipe down all the seats with the leather conditioner, in this case, meguiars gold class thing. But everyone has their own preferences. I'm still looking for one that doesn't make the seat feel so weird after.

I let it sit until I need to go out, or overnight, then wipe the seat down with another dry cloth. Works well so far. I hope to find a more "matte" conditioner, getting tired of having squeaky seats every month lol
Old 03-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
I use Lexol conditioner monthly. I use the Lexol cleaner as needed, usually every 2 months or so. Anytime you use the cleaner you have to use the conditioner again afterwards.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
no different then any other leather seat...just because it has holes in the seating surface doesnt make it any harder or easier to care for...i use either the meguiars gold class leather wipes, followed by a dry microfibre wipe down, or i use the meguiars gold class leather cleaner in the spray bottle and i do the same as i do with the wipes, but i spray the product onto a microfibre and not directly onto the seats...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I use zymol leather cleaner & conditioner, it looks new when i'm done & doesn't have that greasy glossy look/feel.

http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Z-507-Le.../dp/B000F7VKD4 I got it at Target
Old 03-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Lexol. How long does it take you guys to clean all seats?

Takes me an hour and my fingers are nump from the cleaning.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Zaino Leather in a Bottle. Smells great and no greasy feeling.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:05 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
There are many good products out there. I personally clean my leather seats with a damp microfiber towel. Then I follow with Lexol Leather Conditioner. I have 95K on my accord now and my seats look and feel amazing! I get comments all the time on how great of condition my leather is in. Glad you care about your Acura and are starting early!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
But!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
There are many good products out there. I personally clean my leather seats with a damp microfiber towel. Then I follow with Lexol Leather Conditioner. I have 95K on my accord now and my seats look and feel amazing! I get comments all the time on how great of condition my leather is in. Glad you care about your Acura and are starting early!
When I grew up in the 60's, my dad would always have his new car seats covered with Plastic, so why not cover the seats with plastic, and not have to worry about cleaning them? So when you sit on them after the car has been in the sun, you would BURN yourself! My dad told me to suck it up, and stop complaining and be happy I was in a new car! I use Lexol,,
Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
I put covers on my front seats so I don't worry about it anymore. Yeah, I know I'm not getting the best benefits of the seat itself but it works fine for me. Walmart sells a $35 pair that fit extremely well and even have tear-away seams for the side airbags. However, before I went that route I used Lexol cleaner/conditioner products.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wait what kind of covers are you guys talking about?

also, is lexol > meguiars? i want something that doesn't feel greasy like meguiars
Old 03-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
When I grew up in the 60's, my dad would always have his new car seats covered with Plastic, so why not cover the seats with plastic, and not have to worry about cleaning them? So when you sit on them after the car has been in the sun, you would BURN yourself! My dad told me to suck it up, and stop complaining and be happy I was in a new car! I use Lexol,,
lol
Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by neoendedsmith
Hey Friends,

Will be purchasing a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ Tech Package, and since it will be coming with perforated seats (mine will be black) I'd like to know how to properly care for them ahead of time.

I've researched google extensively before posting and it seems like everyone has their own opinion so I'd prefer yours here on AcuraZine insead of Lexus forums, and car shop forum, etc.

Some say saddle soap to clean, then Lexol. Some say dawn dish soap then 303 Protectant. I hear more about Lexol so maybe that's more reputable.

Look forward to your input Friends =)
you might try posting the same question in the acurazine wash/wax area

link:

https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/
Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SuperCK
I use Lexol. How long does it take you guys to clean all seats?

Takes me an hour and my fingers are nump from the cleaning.
i hardly ever clean the back seats, but it takes me like 5 minutes a seat to do the front...but i am not doing overkill or anything, just a wipe down once a week...twice a year i do a woolite cleaning....add 10 minutes a seat....

if you take care of your car, nothing should take you that long to clean....i spend 2 hours a week cleaning my car and it looks fresh most of the time...
Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Just curious, has anyone ever used Acura's own leather products?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
wait what kind of covers are you guys talking about?

also, is lexol > meguiars? i want something that doesn't feel greasy like meguiars
I don't have the info on the covers themselves anymore but they are available at Walmart, which carries a very limited selection of brands anyway.
Mine are black (match the interior) and came in 2 sections - one for the bottom and back and a separate piece for the headrest. The bottom/back uses hooks to attach the cover to the seat bottom. They fit kind of loose at first but look much better after using them for a while. Work great for me.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dominik331
I didn't realize acura had their own leather products. I know when I had my Jaguar I used the HIDE FOOD product on the connolly leather. That stuff was awesome!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:51 PM
7th Gear

Alright Friends, thank you all for the responses and help. I'm gonna go with saddle soap to clean and Lexol to condition.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its good makes the leather look new shiny and car smells kinda new after applying.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear

Does the coloue of your seat matter
Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
no different then any other leather seat...just because it has holes in the seating surface doesnt make it any harder or easier to care for...i use either the meguiars gold class leather wipes, followed by a dry microfibre wipe down, or i use the meguiars gold class leather cleaner in the spray bottle and i do the same as i do with the wipes, but i spray the product onto a microfibre and not directly onto the seats...
I think the issue is that what you use gets down into the holes and soaks into whatever is directly under the holes and you can't really dry it out. That has always been what I worry about, so I just try to use a minimal amount of whatever I use to clean and treat the leather if it is perforated.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jjsC5
I think the issue is that what you use gets down into the holes and soaks into whatever is directly under the holes and you can't really dry it out. That has always been what I worry about, so I just try to use a minimal amount of whatever I use to clean and treat the leather if it is perforated.
thats why you dont put anything directly on the seat, spray your product onto a microfibre and wipe the seats down....

since my last post, i might add, that most of the time i just take a damp microfibre cloth and wipe the seats down....

you cant condition most automotovie leather seats as they are sealed in polyurethene....
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
i use zymol leather treat. my seats arent a shiny finish from factory, zymol leather treat keeps it a matte finish, and doenst shine it up! it also takes off most stains (from my jeans).
Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Meguiars Gold Class cleaner & conditioner products, probably about once every couple of months. After applying the conditioner I get a clean microfiber towel and wipe off any excess. Works great for me.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Cruisin'

Wow, some great info here. Hadn't given much thought to cleaning the leathr, but it makes a lot of sense.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
leatherique made my bmw seats look brand new- but I am reluctant to try it as the acura seats have some parts that are synthetic leather.

I have used so far on the acura with great success - Zaino leather cleaner and condition and Lexus Conditioner (its like $11 at the dealerships and contains SPF and is PH balanced)
Old 06-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Lexol conditioner cleaner and conditioner.

Take cloth dampened with warm water, spray the Lexol cleaner on to it. Rub into seat making it foam a little.

Take another dampened warm water cloth and go over same seat removing excess cleaner.
Let dry about 5-10 minutes

Use yet another cloth and spray conditioner onto cloth. Rub into seat.
wait about 5-10 minutes.

Use clean portion of the conditioning cloth to then buff seats to buttery soft matte finish!!

Do this about once every two months. This process takes me about 45 minutes. DON'T FORGET gearshift, door panels, armrest and steering wheel. Tinted windows also help with protecting the leather by blocking out harmful UV rays.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I use the protectant and the cleaner. The main ingredient of the protectant is aloe. It's not greasy. It evaporates quickly.

I prefer Lexol. The texture is a bit greasy.

I also tried Connolly Hide Food Leather Conditioner and the cleaner on a door trim. I found the conditioner too difficult to apply. I was afraid of damaging the leather. This product seems more designed for highest quality leathers as in Ferrari for example. The main ingredient is lanolin (produced by sheep). The texture is similar to wax.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 PM
3rd Gear

I have read other threads and expert articles that claim car seat leather has been so processed that leather conditioners don't actually work- thoughts? I am a bigger guy, and have a 2010 TL with the driver seat showing wear... What is the best way to care for seats?? Soap and water?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Acura
I use zymol leather cleaner & conditioner, it looks new when i'm done & doesn't have that greasy glossy look/feel.

http://www.amazon.com/Zymol-Z-507-Le.../dp/B000F7VKD4 I got it at Target
I, too, use Zymol product since 2007 and the result has always been fantastic. It takes some effort if you want the job done properly, but the result is just unbeatable.