Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That I dont have one.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 AM
Justin

Only one little dislike: the "sonic boom" noise when the rear windows are lowered - though it does go away when I open the moonroof.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:34 AM
Instructor

First of all, I don't mind the power...but there are some stuff that I do mind.
1.) The seats feel cheap and they're really hard to get u comfortable
2.) Despite the nice interior lay-out, if you do a close up look at TSX and other high end cars like Lexus, Audi, and BMW...it seems to lack some details
3.) The exterior is nice for what it's worth, but compared to what Acura is trying to compare to (IS and 3 series), I think it loses ground...again some details
4.) Weird moonroof buttons and no auto open
5.) No passenger automatic roll up/down
6.) The key fob!!! I know we can mod it, but for a luxury brand, this shouldn't be the case! Even VW started to use integrated ones back in 1998.
7.) Brake seems kind of weak compared to Euro cars...but for a Jap, it's not bad
8.) I don't have a 06, but I think memory seats without side mirror and wheel is pretty pointless...but I'll let the 06 owners say this

However, saying that all, most of us here agreed that the TSX has a good value compared to other luxury brands. And getting better value sometimes will lose some of the features that those cars have. For those who wish they had a better car, better shopping next time. I like the TSX and it's worth what it was priced at, but next time, I'd probably not pick it again and spend a tad more to get a better vehicle myself. Cheers!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Only complaint so far are the wipers. Speed controlling the wipers in variable speed mode is worthless and they don't clean worth a damn. Its only been snowing the past few days in PA and I've already gone through a whole tank of wiper fluid. Kinda agree with the leather quality also if you want to get nickpicky. Besides that I love the car and glad I got it.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:17 AM
'06 TSX/ASM/Ebony/5AT/Nav

Originally Posted by bibby
8.) I don't have a 06, but I think memory seats without side mirror and wheel is pretty pointless...but I'll let the 06 owners say this
It's actually useful to me, 'cause most of the time valets and car-wash guys move only the seats, but don't touch the steering wheel or mirrors. It used to piss me off in my previous car, but now the seat comes to it's preferred position with one touch !

I agree though that in 'spouses-sharing-a-car' scenario, only memory-linked seat will be pretty useless.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Furball mentioned that his black interior looked like "crap" after 4 weeks. Wow. What are you doing in that thing?

I've got 20K+ miles on mine and the interior looks new. No dust, dirt, wrinkles--nothing. I suggest some Sonus leather cleaner and conditioner. It even gives the interior that new car smell.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Instructor

2.) Despite the nice interior lay-out, if you do a close up look at TSX and other high end cars like Lexus, Audi, and BMW...it seems to lack some details
I don't want to change the direction of this thread but I personally don't see the TSX in the same light as a BMW, Lexus or Audi. I love my TSX but it's hard to compare it to those cars (apples & oranges).
Old 01-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MSO4gtt
Furball mentioned that his black interior looked like "crap" after 4 weeks. Wow. What are you doing in that thing?

I've got 20K+ miles on mine and the interior looks new. No dust, dirt, wrinkles--nothing. I suggest some Sonus leather cleaner and conditioner. It even gives the interior that new car smell.
He also mentioned that his previous cars had parchment interior. Perhaps he parks his car in an environment where there is more dust/lint in the air and he isn't used to a black interior showing all that.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes it is!

I've had my '04 TSX a few days but I've noticed a few things. Quite a few have been updated in the new model years. I'm also coming from a 2000 TL, so keep that in mind.

No mirror defrosters in the US model.

No rear seat AC vents.

No passenger power seat adjustments (which is made weirder by the fact that the driver's does).

No memory seats.

No standard cassette deck.

I prefered the "twist" wiper stalk of the TL to the one in the TSX where you push it down to activate it.

The horn honks when I activate the alarm, instead of the nice little beep.

The console doesn't have a wide-open cubby hole I can just throw my cell phone in. I have to open up one of the little compartments and stick it in there. I'd prefer to keep those closed.

The armrest compartments are confusing to open, I never get the right one. The TL had tactile ridges on one tab, so that you knew by feel which one you would open. They're both the same on the TSX. Also, I think the tabs have been reversed (as far as if it opens the top or bottom compartment) from the TL.

No seperate buttons to set the clock, have to use the radio now. Also, the clock doesn't stay on when the car is turned off.

Steering wheel is a little thin, and I wish it had the "grips" at 2 and 10 that the new models have.

The dome lights when you open the door at night are bright as hell, nothing "ambient" about them.

All those are just little things that I can certainly deal with/get used to. Here are the big things for me:

The instrument panel illumination - there's no setting for just having your parking lights on. I like to drive with the parking lights on a lot, when it's fully daytime out, but conditions are bad or something and I want to make sure people see me. I can adjust the instrument panel to full daytime brightness, but then at night when I put my headlights on it doesn't dim and it's blinding. I have to adjust it again. The TL's instrument panel operated the same way, but it worked since it was just simple backlighting and not the LED stuff.

The trunk, as far as features, sucks. I can't believe there is no standard cargo net. From what I understand, if I went and bought one, they'd have to drill into the car to install the anchor bolts. What the hell? And then from the pictures I see of it installed, it just acts as a divider/hammock. My TL came with the net standard, and you could configure it a few dozen ways so that it could divide, hammock, or put flat on the floor to hold down items. And then it had it's own little storage compartment that was good for other things too.

Along the same lines, I don't like the way the spare/tool kit/trunk floor was done either. There's nothing to prop up the floor when you lift it up (TL had a chord that hooked into the open trunk lid. And then the spare tire well has the tools in the styrofoam holder, taking up space. I prefered the way the TL had them on the side in a box, which left space on top of the spare tire for my jumper cables, first aid kit, etc.

That seems like a lot of griping, but really the whole package overall is great, and I'm in love with the car.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Yes it is!

Forgot a few:

Wish all four windows had auto up/down. TL didn't have this either, but I noticed a lot of other cars do.

Having the doors lock automatically and open from the inside when locked would be nice, but the TL didn't have these either, so I'm used to it.

I wish the steering wheel controls were lighted at night. Did they fix this after the '04 model year? Because the buttons are so nice and flush, I haven't gotten used to them by feel yet. My TL had those old, clunky and ugly buttons for the audio on the wheel, but you sure as heck could tell what you were touching at night.

And I know a lot of people have complained about the moonroof switch on the left side of the dash, but I think I'm probably the only one who likes it there. I got used to it on the TL, I think it's more accessable than on the roof (don't have to reach up), and it keeps the passenger from fooling with it.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Deity711
I've had my '04 TSX a few days but I've noticed a few things. Quite a few have been updated in the new model years. I'm also coming from a 2000 TL, so keep that in mind.

No mirror defrosters in the US model.

No passenger power seat adjustments (which is made weirder by the fact that the driver's does).

No memory seats.

The horn honks when I activate the alarm, instead of the nice little beep.

Steering wheel is a little thin, and I wish it had the "grips" at 2 and 10 that the new models have.
Fixed in the 06 model

The instrument panel illumination - there's no setting for just having your parking lights on. I like to drive with the parking lights on a lot, when it's fully daytime out, but conditions are bad or something and I want to make sure people see me. I can adjust the instrument panel to full daytime brightness, but then at night when I put my headlights on it doesn't dim and it's blinding. I have to adjust it again. The TL's instrument panel operated the same way, but it worked since it was just simple backlighting and not the LED stuff.
Umm...you do realize that driving with your parking lights is actually not legal, right? If you need to have other people see you, then use the headlights.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes it is!

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Umm...you do realize that driving with your parking lights is actually not legal, right? If you need to have other people see you, then use the headlights.
I've never heard of that. I don't see any difference from daytime running lights. I see others operating in this mode all the time.

And even if it was and I used full headlights, it wouldn't fix the instrument panel issue, which is my deal to begin with.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

I've never heard of that. I don't see any difference from daytime running lights. I see others operating in this mode all the time.

And even if it was and I used full headlights, it wouldn't fix the instrument panel issue, which is my deal to begin with.
What would you have done? There are two brightness adjustments to be made, one for "lights off" (assumed to be daylight) and one for "lights on" (assumed to be night time). Do you want a third option for "lights on in daytime?"
Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Yes it is!

Originally Posted by jlukja
What would you have done? There are two brightness adjustments to be made, one for "lights off" (assumed to be daylight) and one for "lights on" (assumed to be night time). Do you want a third option for "lights on in daytime?"
Essentially.

I'm sure a solution is not really plausible, but the topic asked what I didn't like about the car, so there it is. I guess that will be most cars, since I see a lot of them are going to the LED displays too.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Essentially.

I'm sure a solution is not really plausible, but the topic asked what I didn't like about the car, so there it is. I guess that will be most cars, since I see a lot of them are going to the LED displays too.
I could see that being possible with a photodiode sensor, similar to how auto-headlights know when to turn on. If it senses enough light, then bright setting; otherwise low setting.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Have camera, will travel

I thought it was on a state-by-state basis. I'm pretty sure it's legal in WA under certain conditions, at dusk, etc.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Team Owner

^^ I thinks its illegal in California but I'm too lazy to look it up.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Yes it is!

Originally Posted by waTSX
I thought it was on a state-by-state basis. I'm pretty sure it's legal in WA under certain conditions, at dusk, etc.
Yeah I've been driving like this for 9 years, no problems. I hope you guys don't think I'm driving with just the parking lights at night - of course I use the headlights then. I just use them in the dawn and dusk, when it's too bright to use headlights, but due to the sun/glare it may be hard to see other cars in on-coming traffic, etc. Thought this was standard procedure.

Originally Posted by swirlie
I could see that being possible with a photodiode sensor, similar to how auto-headlights know when to turn on. If it senses enough light, then bright setting; otherwise low setting.
I was thinking this same solution yesterday.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:10 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jlukja
^^ I thinks its illegal in California but I'm too lazy to look it up.
it's illegal in cali if the sun is still in the sky pretty much. you can do it at dawn if it's barely there, but you should really have your lights on all the way that early in the morning.. and you can do it at dusk if the sun is pretty much all the way set.. but again, you should just have your lights on completely at that point. i usually go by the amount of light still around before it's dark.. and by the cars around me.

my complaint:
i don't have a tsx yet. haha.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Disinformation Terminator

A few things:

The manumatic shifter should have its directions reversed. It should be push forward=downshift, and pull back=upshift......like every sequential racing transmission on the planet. Instead, its the other way around. I have no idea why.

Trunk opening is quite small
That frikkin left-pull
Low powered stereo
Needs more horsepower....but what car doesn't?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Needs more horsepower....but what car doesn't?
A Bugatti Veyron
Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

No standard cassette deck.

My calendar says Jan 30, 2007. What does your say?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

I love my TSX (and my wife loves hers too). But here's what I wish I could change:

Location of the sunroof buttons. Why not place them up near the sunroof?

Weak stereo.

More power/torque.

A quieter ride. I'm getting new tires to attempt to fix this problem because the thing is really loud, like all Honda's are. Why can't Honda figure out how to reduce the road noise?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

Old 01-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Instructor

my biggest complaint is that the center console shold be higher, it would make it seem like more of a luxury car. if u have seen the lexus GS or new IS interiors u know what i mean.

the moonroof button should be one touch to open all the way...thats bout it i guess.

oh the tires are ok but could stick a bit better.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Yes it is!

Originally Posted by dom
My calendar says Jan 30, 2007. What does your say?
Yeah I know. But some cars still have the decks standard. (I think the new TL does.) I still have some tapes that I like to listen to though. I still have LPs at home. I'm just going to be "that guy."

But the lack of a deck keeps the center console looking sleek, so it's an even trade-off, I suppose.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The TSX is a great commuter car, has great standard features, and looks the part, but it does have some shortcommings when judged as a serious drivers car.
My list of nags would be this:

-Drive-by-wire response is terrible...blip the gas pedal and watch the engine respond a minute later. Also gives the car some hiccups in terms of drivability especially with the 6mt.

-Lack of limited slip (LSD)...pretty self explanatory and very obvious to anyone driving the car moderatly hard. At least make this standard on the 6mt like on the TL. This is a penny that really shouldnt have been pinched on this car.

-2.4l engine does seem to have some vibration and harmonic balancing issues...a small gripe but many people have noticed it (and been annoyed with it) at idle. I notice it. It annoys me.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Pro

1) the car needs to have the auto open locks when you pull the handle.. such a pain
2) the car's interior is poorly lit and i have trouble seeing
3) there should be a light down by where the pedals are. last time i dropped my keys and it was impossible to find it even with the reading light on.
4) the car fogs up like crazy
Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Instructor

I can't understand anyone's complaint about the moonroof controls. In my opinion, that's the most clever spot to place them. In my previous cars, I would have to distract myself to reach up and find the buttons near the moonroof. Now all I have to do is casually entend my hand and hit the button. I don't have to take my eyes off the road for more than a millisecond and my hands are practically still on the wheel.

My own personal complaints:
1. My doors rattle in the cold or with bassy music (which is a common complaint and I will have fixed once I have the time to bring it to the dealership). I would have thought they fixed this problem by the 2007 model year, but it sounds exactly like what other people have described.

2. The gearing of the automatic could be better. 2nd gear is way too tall, so you can't unleash the engines power at speads below 55mph.

3. Stock tires suck ass. You can tell that the tires are responsible for the road noise. You can hear those rock hard economy treads slapping against the coarse pavement. It drives me nuts and I can't wait to replace them with some Potenza's.

4. A-spec suspension should have just come standard and they should have just raised the MSRP of the car a little. The reason I say this is because A-spec owners claim that it's actually an imporvement in ride quality. I will be an A-spec owner soon, so I will know for sure.

5. Should have mated the 360w sound system with better speakers.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Tsx6363
1) the car needs to have the auto open locks when you pull the handle.. such a pain
2) the car's interior is poorly lit and i have trouble seeing
3) there should be a light down by where the pedals are. last time i dropped my keys and it was impossible to find it even with the reading light on.
4) the car fogs up like crazy
You don't have the AC set to recirculate do you? That'll cause the car to fog a lot. I can't imagine why it'd fog up otherwise. Recirculate works best in warm weather with the AC.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Yes it is!

Would you guys kill me if I said I think I like the thinner steering wheel now? Took me a week or two to get used to it, but I'm digging it. I kinda wish I had a four spoke wheel and not the three, but I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before I'm used to that as well.

Also I'm over the trunk. I've found out I can secure cargo back there with two bungie cords and the four tie-downs way better than I ever could with my old cargo net.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Advanced

My car seems to keep piling up mileage.... maybe because I like just about everything about it! I woud have to agree on the location of the moonroof control. That and that the stock wipers suck! Replace them with the Bosch Icons and all is good. But I had to replace them in less than four months! The sound system is too weak too. Maybe if they had put in a sub (like the RDX) just a thought.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
OK, I have owned TWO TSXs ('05-wrecked, '06-current) and one thing that bugs me about both cars is that when I am in the car, and I open the driver's door to get out, the damn door ALWAYS swings back closed on me!

I am not a gorilla, nor do I heave the door with all my might, but the halfway "stop" mechanism is just too darn week.

OK, I love my car and will continue loving it, but I just wanted to vent for a moment...
Old 02-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by stogie1020
OK, I have owned TWO TSXs ('05-wrecked, '06-current) and one thing that bugs me about both cars is that when I am in the car, and I open the driver's door to get out, the damn door ALWAYS swings back closed on me!

I am not a gorilla, nor do I heave the door with all my might, but the halfway "stop" mechanism is just too darn week.

OK, I love my car and will continue loving it, but I just wanted to vent for a moment...
indeed the doors close by themselves.. also sucks with passengers that don't know the car and slam the doors so damn hard.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

Thats a good one You have to be extra careful to make sure the damn door stays open.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
There should be an adjustment that the dealer can make for you.

I am by no means a power-lifter, but if EVERY time I open the door, it closes on me, something needs to be adjusted.

<--Gulping down Thorazine now.....................
Old 02-15-2007, 01:35 AM
ItsHerTSX

The only complaint I have about the car right now is the SSM shifter as I believed it called in the Acura world. (For my Lincoln LS, its SST). I dont like having to push up to up-shift.. I know, sounds dumb & odd, but I have the same setup in an RX8 & in there you pull towards yourself. Its a lot nicer & allows for quicker shifts, atleast I feel that way. Ofcourse, just may not be used to the TSX setup..
Old 02-15-2007, 09:08 AM
Team Owner

Its easier to upshift by pulling back on the shifter particularly when you're slammed into the backrest and can't move your arm forward under the force of acceleration.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Advanced

LOL, I have 2 agree with you. For me, it's actually worse, since I have such a narrow garage. I'm so careful when opening the door and it almost always closes and hits my knee. But, I guess I can deal with it. As for the idiots that slam the passenger door... well, if they did that on my ride, it'll be the last thing they do - LOL!

PS - I always try to avoid driving or picking up people!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah definitely a good one, it's especially a pain in the ass when you have your hands full with something -- i've had to master opening the door, getting out and stepping out of the way all in one smooth motion before the door closes behind me... works most of the time...

Quick Reply: What DON'T You Like About the TSX?