What DON'T You Like About the TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Registered Car Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Armishanks
"That's weird...I LOVE the speedometer design with 0 starting at 6:00. I think it's unique and suits the TSX's sporty image."

It's form over function. The design does look cool, but makes it hard to view your speed in the common ranges of 25-55 MPH.

Porsche has some of the best-designed speedos out there, and they put their 0 around 7:00 or 8:00. Much easier to read quickly than the TSX's.
Have you ever driven a Porsche? The reason their instrument panel is great is because the Tach is in the center, with the speedo on the left, and fuel/temp gauges on the right. The tach is wonderful and does have the 0 around the 8-o'clock position, with redline at close to 3-o'clock.
The speedometer is close to the most useless thing i've seen in an instrument panel. 0 is at roughly 7 o'clock, and the 200mph mark is at roughly 1-o'clock, before it runs into the tach. That means that every 30 degrees (or each hour position) covers roughly 30 mph (50 km/h). Let's just say that this is not the most precise instrument I've ever seen, and pretty useless in the "common ranges of 25-55 mph" that you describe. IMHO, the one in the TSX is much easier to read, for its range, as well as the legibility of the font type/size Honda chose .
Old 12-18-2006, 12:43 PM
NA

Originally Posted by MattJP
I'd like to be able to turn off the seatbelt warning bell...

You can disable this by unhooking/snipping a wire in the seatbelt buckle.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Very few things here......

1. Power: Duh. 0-60 about 1 sec quicker would be nice.

2. Fuel economy: if I could get that improved 0-60, the 20-23 mpg I usually get
would be tolerable. Also, not needing premium would rule.

3. Tires: they're pretty sad. Slip and slide, slip and slide, slip and slide.

That's about it for me. Integrated satellite radio would be nice, but they've fixed that since my 2004. The things that brought me to the car 2.5 years ago like fit-and-finish, shifter feel, styling, and interior design--all still do it for me.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Intermediate

My number on complaint is THE DOORS DOESNT AUTOMATICALLY OPEN WITH I TRY TO OPEN IT WHEN ITS LOCKED!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by playdoh
Excellent points.

Why do people jump all over you when you point out things you would like better? If the car was perfect and had everything you could want, why make a new model every year? Maybe people here should just buy a cheaper '04 and be happy with it then.

If Honda listened to us, they'd have more buyers. Including us buying a newer model instead of even considering looking elsewhere.
BECAUSE he continues to complain about those things on his list WHICH he clearly would have know about from his test drive(s) BEFORE he bought the car except for possibly #9&10.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 AM
6th Gear

Alright, I've got a couple (These might be from my inexperience with the car -- I've officially had it for a week today. What's that anniversary? Oil? Car wash? )

1) I wish the "channel" buttons on the wheel let you seek in FM/AM mode or tune up/down by one channel on XM. Instead it takes you through your presets.

2) I also wish that I was able to look at-a-glance at what each XM station is playing at any given time. I think this is possible in the TL.

3) I can't figure out how to have my range and inst. mpg on the MFD when I start my car. Right now, it only shows the outside temp and mileage with nothing on the top. I have to push the "i" button once to get both of them on the screen, but it'd be nice to have it all up there when I start the car.

Other than that, this is the best car I've ever owned. I love it!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dschreib
3) I can't figure out how to have my range and inst. mpg on the MFD when I start my car. Right now, it only shows the outside temp and mileage with nothing on the top. I have to push the "i" button once to get both of them on the screen, but it'd be nice to have it all up there when I start the car.

I've noticed this too, only sometimes it actually comes up. I'm trying to figure out if it has to do with the amount of time the car has been shut off. It seems like if I run into a store and come out, this comes up on the screen right away automatically. Park it overnight, and the screen is blank. Could be my imagination though.

My #1 complaint about the car: people are always in my way! It's rare I get to 'exercise' the engine...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDukeZip
I've noticed this too, only sometimes it actually comes up. I'm trying to figure out if it has to do with the amount of time the car has been shut off. It seems like if I run into a store and come out, this comes up on the screen right away automatically. Park it overnight, and the screen is blank. Could be my imagination though.

My #1 complaint about the car: people are always in my way! It's rare I get to 'exercise' the engine...

That's the spirit, go out there and slam that pedal.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Advanced

I've never had the info come up when I start the car without pressing the "i" button. Like a previous poster mentioned, is there any way to do so?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM
onebadtls

1. Car needs a serious dose of torque...
2. That damn seat belt chime needs to go away.
3. Interior feels cheap.
4. Noisy as hell interior.
5. Much too bland appearance in stock form.
6. Sound system is just garbage..

In its defense the car does handle amazingly even with its stock tires.

I got stuck driving a tsx for a while when i had my tranny replaced.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Oh well it's

1. Stock Stereo System Sucks (had car for 2 in a half years and CD changer crapped out)
2. No Window up Module on key FOB (Should have came standard, rather than modding)
3. No auto door lock when key in ignition (Should have came standard as well)

Other than that, for a stock M/T it pulls.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:47 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by dschreib
Alright, I've got a couple (These might be from my inexperience with the car -- I've officially had it for a week today. What's that anniversary? Oil? Car wash? )

1) I wish the "channel" buttons on the wheel let you seek in FM/AM mode or tune up/down by one channel on XM. Instead it takes you through your presets.

2) I also wish that I was able to look at-a-glance at what each XM station is playing at any given time. I think this is possible in the TL.

My 1 week anniversary is today too. Love my car! Anyone else notice the doors sound really cheap when you close them? Almost hollow-ish? Everyone else has mentioned some of the minor things I would change, but I think Acura puts out a great product for a great price. And no, I don't work for them!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 AM
2010 TL SH-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^ Ive made that complaint on some other old thread. I have to tell everyone that goes into my car to "lightly" closed my door everytime. It gets annoying because they give you like a weird look like your so obsessed about hurting the car.

I'd say one of these days the door will either fall off or the glass windows will break.
Anyways, Im trading this 3 month old TSX for an IS350 this month. December to remember baby !
Old 12-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by S power
^^ Ive made that complaint on some other old thread. I have to tell everyone that goes into my car to "lightly" closed my door everytime. It gets annoying because they give you like a weird look like your so obsessed about hurting the car.

I'd say one of these days the door will either fall off or the glass windows will break.
Anyways, Im trading this 3 month old TSX for an IS350 this month. December to remember baby !
couldn't agree more. those doors will close by themselves.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Armishanks
"That's weird...I LOVE the speedometer design with 0 starting at 6:00. I think it's unique and suits the TSX's sporty image."

It's form over function. The design does look cool, but makes it hard to view your speed in the common ranges of 25-55 MPH.

Porsche has some of the best-designed speedos out there, and they put their 0 around 7:00 or 8:00. Much easier to read quickly than the TSX's.
I am sorry but if you can't tell how fast you are going from 25-55.. you really need to drive the car more... especially if you own a manual (read.. sound of the engine with what gear you are in... I drive by feel not by speedo.. it is accurate to about 3-5mph).

And to be honest i don't see how it is a disadvantage to have the speedo how it is. It is just because you are not used to it..... Maybe you should think about a headsup display? Because looking down for speed on any configuration is not safe...

The other argument is not every speedo is the same. Even ones that start at the bottom do not increase at the same increment. My explorer only went to 85. My GTI went to well over 160. They 0 was in the same place but 60 was in two different places. Glancing down on a speedo that you do not know will not help and is equally dangerous.

The only functional speedo is digital and headsup.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Burning Brakes

DBW.......and then DBW then DBW again and for the last time DBW

dbw= worst invention eveeeeeeeeeeer throttle cable ftw
Old 01-20-2007, 11:36 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. the paint sucks, very easy to chip
2. underpower, but i dont really care about it as i dont gun it very often
3. IMO the ride is somewhat stiff and the handling is not "that" great
Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Unauthorized User

The stock '06 rims looks like crap.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ck123
DBW.......and then DBW then DBW again and for the last time DBW

dbw= worst invention eveeeeeeeeeeer throttle cable ftw
I can't believe you forgot to mention DBW. DBW is the biggest insult to the TSX. It's the mother of all frustrations.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Pro

1. The large turn radius bothers me the most.

2. Slightly underpowered for the cost.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Advanced

1) noises/rattles
2) should come with 18s
3) power - especially 5A
4) heated seats aren't warm enough
Old 01-21-2007, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jurisprudent

First, the Altima is not in the TSX's class IMHO. Second, with the exception of the newest generation Altima (only b/c I have not yet seen or been in one), I would take the TSX any day. Dynamically, the two cars are no comparison. As for speed, the TSX is no drag racer, but I'll gladly line up with any Altima 2.5S that cares to try. I have no doubt in my mind that I would easily walk one. Again, perhaps your driving could use improvement?

shut up, the tsx is a euro accord, its exactly in the same class of cars.

the altima is faster than the tsx - ive covered my own personal experince about this in other threads.

but with that said would i rather have a tsx over altima, probably so.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:40 AM
6th Gear

I've had my 2006 TSX for 4 weeks now. I traded in a 1993 Altima, and wish I had it back! The critics never raved about the Altima - they always said Accords and Camry's were better, but my car always exceeded my expectations. Everyone raves about the TSX, but so far it's been totally underwhelming. I slowly grew to love the Altima, but am very quickly growing to hate the TSX. I'm likely going to sell mine at a big loss and go buy a real car, perhaps a Lexus IS350 or Cadillac CTS. So what don't I like.
1. Seats and suspension are so hard that my back hurts every time I drive it.
2. Two position memory is great, except that my wife readjusts the mirrors and steering wheel, and they aren't hooked to the memory.
3. No torque
4. Gear raio sucks. I'd have preferred a bit more spread so I'm not shifting all the time, but I guess when you don't have torque there isn't much alternative.
5. The stereo sucks. The $299 Alpine hooked to stock speakers in the Altima blew it away. The speakers are so crappy that any sort of volume causes huge distortion.
6. The navi system is more or less useless. Navi systems are only as good as the data on the CD, and the data on my CD is crap. It tells me there's a Conoco station 3 blocks from my house. Small problem - we don't have Conoco stations in Canada, and the address it gives me is a house that's been in that location for over 50 years.
7. The crome insert in the shift knob might look cool, but it's darned useless when it's -20. Wearing gloves isn't much of an option because you can't operate any of the touch screen controls when you are.
8. The so called 60/40 split folding seats are useless. I tried to bring home a 32 inch wide piece of plywood from the home reno store, and it wouldn't fit because the gap between the wheel wells and suppport struts was so narrow.
9. The gas mileage sucks. It's nowhere near what the EPA or other drivers report.
10. I hate the black interior. I had a cream colored interior in the Altima and after 14 years it looked like new (I don't have kids - go figure). The black interior shows every speck of dust and dirt. After 4 weeks it looks like crap.
11. The moonroof controls are in a strange place.
12. The two-piece center console lid is retarded. I never open the one I'm trying for.
13. If you use the manual heater controls to direct some heat to your feet it turns the climate control completely manual. Vent selection and temperature setting should not be related.
14. I really don't like steering wheel mounted audio controls. Every time I try to honk at some loser I change the radio station.

My really big issue is the seats and suspension. I'm new to this forum to try to find after-market replacements for both. If anyone can point me in that direction an save me some searching, please do.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
It pays to leverage more test-drive time with a car and avoid making impulse decisions because time constraints or whatever. If you can adhere to those practices in the future, I'm sure you'll be a happier car buyer. Good luck with your next purchase!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

I wish I knew when I bought it that the TSX can't be fitted with a bicycle hitch.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pmail
I wish I knew when I bought it that the TSX can't be fitted with a bicycle hitch.
It can, search the forums.

...and Furball, if there are 14 things you found you hate about the car, none of those things were issues when you were doing research and test driving different cars?

At any rate, Power, power, power...its still enough for me as its a commuter, not my weekend ride, but going from a 330ci to the tsx was a little bit of an adjustment to say the least. I like the early drafts of the next generation, but if they dont address the power issue, I feel as though I will be going back to BMW...and having to spend a lot more again (TLs and RLs dont really do it for me even though they are less expensive than the 335i)
Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
'06 TSX/ASM/Ebony/5AT/Nav

Wink

What I don't like about TSX is the soft suspension tuning, I just wish it were firm and tight like Camry or ES350.

Oops, that'd be the other way round
Old 01-21-2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Car Nut

Wow Furball,

I understand that some of those things could be annoying, but I don't understand how you could possibly miss most of them during your research/test drive.

It seems that you bought a car in the wrong segment altogether. You bought a sport/entry-lux car that has the emphasis on sport, while you seem to be looking for a Camry-type vehicle. Even the last-gen or current-gen Altima might be better suited to your taste/needs. Most of us that have test driven those feel that the suspension is too loose and that the handling is much better on the TSX.

I'm with you on the memory seats (mirrors?), and moonroof controls. I don't know about the Navi, but I'm sure the Canadian data is crap (which was the main reason I didn't get it).

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Instructor

I personally think Furball doesnt even have a TSX and with a first post like that bashing it seems pretty harsh since not many of those above are true if you are comparing it to the IS350 which IMO only exceeds the TSX in exterior looks and speed.. however you are talking about a car which is almost 2X more expensive... if thats the case you should compare an RL or TL-s which are more comparable... why dont you just go buy a Bently those things are very luxurious, fast, and big.. not trying to defend my purchase but you just took all the good points that makes the TSX and bashed it... and please dont compare Nissan interiors to Hondas.. at least compare the BMWs and Mercs cuz Nissan is just oogly they need to focus more on the interior instead of the exterior... G35 and 350Z=oogly interiors.. but this is just my opinion... please do sell your TSX so someone who appreciates it can buy it..
Old 01-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Instructor

btw the tsx does come with a beige interior for specific colors..

Now back to the topic, yes like most ppl my only complaint is the "power" factor however I have made some mods to my car I/H/E so now it can hang with many other cars, but because of the lack of torq I need next the pulley and RT CAT mod which will increase the acceleration of my car... there are no dislikes you can not fix on this car other then being another brand (hint hint)
Old 01-22-2007, 12:30 PM
6th Gear

A few more comments

Yes, I was a bit (lot) harsh for my first posting, but it's hard to be objective when you're wincing from lower back pain. Late yesterday I may have found a driving position that doesn't hurt!

A few have asked why I bought the TSX. Here's the other side of the argument.
- I live in Canada, thus FWD/AWD is a must
(rules out Mercedes, Cadillac, Mustang, and most Lexus, BMW, and Infiniti).
- My garage faces a narrow alley thus I need something that's 186" max.
(rules out Camry, Accord, Altima, Maxima, Galant and all GM midsized)
- Need something that's reasonably reliable
(rules out VW, Saab, Mercedes, and Crysler)
- Generally dislike automatic transmission or 6MT paired with gutless 4 cyl.
(rules out Fusion/Milan/MKZ, Sonata, Lexus IS250 AWD, Infiniti G35X, Civic, and Sentra)

For the record, I drove most of these cars.

This leaves Acura TSX, Subaru Legacy GT, BMW 238xi, Audi A4, Volvo S40 or S60 2.5T, and Mazda6 GT-V6/6MT.
- BMW, Audi and Volvo S60 are overpriced.
- Volvo S40 is boring.
- The boxer motor in the Subaru sounds like a riding mower.

It came down to TSX and Mazda6 Sport GT-V6. The GT-V6 fully loaded vs. TSX are within $1000 and the TSX blows it away on features, reliability, and resale. The Mazda has a much smoother engine (V6), a softer ride, takes regular gas,
and has more utility due to the hatchback.

It was a toss-up. The deciding factors were features, resale, looks, prestige, fuel economy, interior layout, and warranty. All in all the TSX is a beautiful car - other than the rock hard seats. The other things are all minor and Honda could do a better job. It's possible I made the wrong choice.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I can't find my garage

Originally Posted by inkedup
1. The large turn radius bothers me the most.

2. Slightly underpowered for the cost.
i very agree. even just a 15% increase in hp/tq will make me freaken happpy. and yea..this thing turns like an suv.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Fwd
Old 01-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Racer

YES.....Turn radius, not so goodddd. good call.

As for a position that doesnt hurt your back, I suggest never driving with your head in your ass.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
warning

Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
YES.....Turn radius, not so goodddd. good call.

As for a position that doesnt hurt your back, I suggest never driving with your head in your ass.

Thats uncalled for so consider yourself warned. All furball has done is report what he doesn't like about his TSX. I have no problems with him sharing his opinion and he's not criticizing anyone elses.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by excited
I'm loving it!!!!!!

Excited

Check out my photo shoot... @

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/parag_a2...60762328372749
Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 PM
Racer

No Worries, thats just my opinion on what helps me when I drive. I usually drive this way on Mondays
Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Instructor

it has a higher ground clearance than some cars especially at the back
Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 PM
'06 TSX/ASM/Ebony/5AT/Nav

These are my wish-list for 2nd gen TSX (that implicitly indicates what I feel inadequate in current TSX):

1. V6 engine (duh!) - the 3.0 liter from current Accord can easily pull > 250 horses with some premium fuel love
2. Tech package that'll include NAVI (with real time traffic), backup camera and ELS surround sound
3. Keyless entry and ignition
4. LED ligthing in the interior
5. Seat memory should include the outside mirrors as well
6. One touch moonroof
7. Cool lane assist feature of the Euro Accord

And finally,

8. Exterior like Sport4 concept

Am I asking for too much? With the current mindset of Acura to go more upscale, probably not...
Old 01-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Not being able to withstand a GMC Jimmy

Brake pads were the only things that came to mind...

Quick Reply: What DON'T You Like About the TSX?