What DON'T You Like About the TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Radius :(

My only gripe about the car is its poor turn radius.

U-turns are tough for me in the LA city streets with the TSX but my former IS300 was great. Other than that, I LOVE the car! More so than the Lexus because it comes with awesome features.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sureleey
My only gripe about the car is its poor turn radius.

U-turns are tough for me in the LA city streets with the TSX but my former IS300 was great...
Wish I understood why. I looked up the specs of the European Accord (Saloon), some models are 35.4ft, others are 37.4ft. They also show 18" tires as an option, so that can't be it. Close to 40' diameter for what is not that big of a car is a bit lame...

Jeff
Old 05-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
can't think of anything i don't like about the car.

can there be improvements? sure...

i'd consider a beefier steering wheel. it's not that i don't like the 05 stock wheel, it's fine. i think a beefier steering wheel would be more comfortable for me...
I think they made the steering wheel a little thicker in '06.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Advanced

I am certain dealerships read these posts carefully, and imagine they report them back to Acura. So, posting complaints may go towards improving what is a great automobile. That was my primary reason for starting this thread.

At this point, if there was ONE thing I could change about my '05 TSX, it would be to have a better stereo system. The stock system is good, but just that. A graphic equalizer would be great along with better speakers. I would certainly pay out of pocket for this. Maybe Acura could offer an upgraded system for folks like me.

I am very satisfied with the purchase, however. The TSX is a graceful vehicle and is a true pleasure to drive. I always feel secure in the car, even when I push it up to 80 or 90 as I occasionally do. Acceleration in the higher gears is exhilarating. Steering and cornering are superb.

I recently picked up a copy of Consumer Reports, and they rated the TSX as fair for "body integrity." My car seems to be completely sound, and I really don't know what they are talking about. Maybe the car they tested came off the line at 4:00 Friday, Tokyo time!
Old 05-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhite4
Wish I understood why. I looked up the specs of the European Accord (Saloon), some models are 35.4ft, others are 37.4ft. They also show 18" tires as an option, so that can't be it. Close to 40' diameter for what is not that big of a car is a bit lame...

Jeff
Those numbers are with smaller 16-inch wheels and tires. Our car comes standard with the 17-inch wheels which results in a larger turning circle. Honestly, I have never had problems making U-turns, in either LA or DC.

Also, larger turning circles are just a natural occurrence given the FWD layout and the double-wishbone suspension setup.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Instructor

I've only been an Acura owner for less than 3 weeks, but my impression of them is that they don't want to come off as a manufacturer that offers a lot of different options. For the TSX, it's 5AT or 6MT, and nav or non-nav. I think the TL is the same, with the addition of I think a higher performance suspension and 18" tires on I believe the 6MT configurations. If you look at a lot of the standard options on the vehicles: heated seats, 6 disc changer, traction/stability controls, side air bags and air curtains, etc, on many other cars there are the options.

I'd like to think that one of the ways Acura is able to produce cars with such above average reliability (if not some of the best) is by only having just a few combinations of their vehicles. Not that Honda and Toyota cars aren't reliable enough, but if you are going to add 1/3 longer warranty, you need to find a way to do that. Maybe the limited number of models is a way.

As far as salesman reading these websites, I sort of doubt it. I don't know if Acura ones are necessarily better, but a prospective purchaser doing any research on their own almost always knows more than salespeople (in my opinion).

Jeff
Old 05-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Those numbers are with smaller 16-inch wheels and tires. Our car comes standard with the 17-inch wheels which results in a larger turning circle. Honestly, I have never had problems making U-turns, in either LA or DC.

Also, larger turning circles are just a natural occurrence given the FWD layout and the double-wishbone suspension setup.
The Euro Accord has models that come with either 16" or 17" tires standard, with optional 18" ones. It also definitely has FWD. I'm assuming a top of the line Euro Accord has the same suspension as the TSX, though I'm not positive.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Yes, but the numbers are always quoted off the smallest wheel sizes, not the largest. Plus, the US suspension is different from the Euro Accord suspension. For once, the US actually got the stiffer suspension.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nasty VSA over correction today nearly put me in to a centre median. I wasn't going fast, and had already downshifted from 2nd to 3rd, and hit the gas in a moderate sort of way, at the apex, and while the TSX doesn't understeer a lot (if any) at low speed, if it did it should push the front end out, away from the centre median, but nooooo, the damn thing sensed something, and must have applied the front left brake, and yanked the front end left toward the median, and so I turned right, and the damn thing pulled me left again, and .... VSA for rainy days, and the wife!
Old 05-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2006CGPTSX
My one complaint is the doors do not auto lock and auto unlock

Damon
2006 TSX
TSX Avg MPG
Just watched a TL tech video on the OwnerLink website (try https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/operat..._tech_tips.asp). TL's do ahave auto lock/unlock:

6MT - lock at 10mph; unlock when engine turned off
5AT - lock at 10mph or shift out of park; unlock back in park, or turned off.

Obviously, the programming to take care of it is already done. Can't think it really costs that much extra to add to a TSX, so wonder if maybe it was left off mainly to expand the list of extra features on the TL (and probably RL).

Jeff
Old 05-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwhite4
Just watched a TL tech video on the OwnerLink website (try https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/operat..._tech_tips.asp). ...
Jeff
Unfortunately looks like it only is accessible if you have an OwnerLink account and are logged in.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2006, 05:47 PM
nub
Intermediate

preface : I love my 05 6MT tsx.

1) I agree that the car is noisy on certain surfaces. My previous car was a 99 Corolla. I got my Tsx 3 months after i moved up to Portland OR. The roads up here suck, and the first thing i noticed once i got on the freeway was how loud it was.

2) rattles on the dome fixture and occasionally around the windshield. This SHOULD NOT happen with a 30k vehicle. No rattles on my 15k Corolla. The car has already been to the dealer twice to attempt to fix. I've given up on that and will have a new dome fixture soon.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Advanced

jwhite,

I KNOW the Acura dealerships read the posts here since after I bought my car -- and wrote some complimentary things about the dealership -- the salesman contacted me to thank me for my post. The compliments were well-deserved, by the way, and I was impressed that the dealer looks here for opinion.

When it comes to standardization in manufacture, I agree that Acura does this to control quality. But, having an optional audio system shouldn't be that tough to do. The interface with the NAV system might be more problematic, however.

In any case, I still love the car and if the radio isn't all it should be, I simply turn it UP!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nub
preface : I love my 05 6MT tsx.

2) rattles on the dome fixture and occasionally around the windshield. This SHOULD NOT happen with a 30k vehicle.

Maybe the rattles have to do with the roads in Oregon, rather than with the TSX. Do you think Acura will re-pave them?
Old 05-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjamyst
I think they made the steering wheel a little thicker in '06.
correct.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
I am GLAD there is no autolock feature in the TSX.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:56 PM
9th Gear

get rid of DBW add more power and yea those seat warmers are poorly located, but other than that i love driving the car i really do.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:07 PM
NA

Thumbs up

My ONLY complaint about the car is how the stock stereo/speakers sound. I came from an 04 mazda6 where Bose was the stock system...I would think that Acura could have come up with slightly better speakers than what they did. I will be changing the speakers out soon...Other than that, I love the car!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Instructor

i love everywhere and I don't think it lacks power...
Only one thing that I can't explain is...it lacks "soul" compared to German cars. I don't know how to describe it....but for those who has driven a German car, you'll know what I mean.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:36 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bibby
Only one thing that I can't explain is...it lacks "soul" compared to German cars. I don't know how to describe it....but for those who has driven a German car, you'll know what I mean.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ChasC
OK, here is a good place to complain about the TSX. I decided to start the thread because there are a few things I really do NOT like about the car. Just call me a "glass half empty" guy.

Here they are:

3. A secret place for storing cash and other stuff is needed. It's best to hide money. (PS -- I did find a place for hiding a few bills.)

A secret place to hide money? Do you normally keep your cash burried in a folgers can in the back yard? Money goes in wallets or clips, large amounts go in banks or money belts if youre traveling. Never keep anything in your car that you cant replace or miss....especially money.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by bibby
I disagree greatly and have had the pleasure of driving and owning some decent examples of German cars. Honda cars have Japanese soul - that is precision, a zen-like lightness of being, and feeling more than the sum of its parts. In fact, I think the engineering "soul" shines through in all the cars in its lineup even greater than German cars.

If we're going to say that german cars have soul or personality, you need to go drive an Italian car.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Racer

What I don't like:

- slighly less power then I wanted
- vibration when stopped
- rattles
- pull to the left at highway speeds

Unfortunately, none of the above can be addressed by the dealer...
Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by klas
What I don't like:

- slighly less power then I wanted
- vibration when stopped
- rattles
- pull to the left at highway speeds

Unfortunately, none of the above can be addressed by the dealer...
- slighly less power then I wanted ~ mod the engine

btw, which dealer did you go to? acura bellevue was once fixed all my rattles.. there are still a few rattles, but much better than before.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I disagree greatly and have had the pleasure of driving and owning some decent examples of German cars. Honda cars have Japanese soul - that is precision, a zen-like lightness of being, and feeling more than the sum of its parts. In fact, I think the engineering "soul" shines through in all the cars in its lineup even greater than German cars.

If we're going to say that german cars have soul or personality, you need to go drive an Italian car.

Well said my man. No one could've said it any better.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
A secret place to hide money? Do you normally keep your cash burried in a folgers can in the back yard?

You son of a bitch.

I just had a tiny bit of coffee come out of my nose. OUCH.. don't drink and read. hahaha
Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hrj_1985
- slighly less power then I wanted ~ mod the engine

btw, which dealer did you go to? acura bellevue was once fixed all my rattles.. there are still a few rattles, but much better than before.
You're not going to get 50hp from bolt ons.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:30 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by aaronng
he said "slightly less power than he wanted", so i assume 10-15 hp would be enough..
Old 12-07-2006, 06:32 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

it's not the car's slow...you people need to lose weight. every american shed 50lbs, car goes faster!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mg7726
it's not the car's slow...you people need to lose weight. every american shed 50lbs, car goes faster!
yeah, i will be dead by losing 50lb..
Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll be 85 pds if I lose 50
Old 12-08-2006, 04:59 AM
Instructor

I don't know if it was already stated in other pages but one thing i don't like about the our TSX's is the automatic lock mechanism when you turn on the car and drive. I know my cousin's MB 230 does it once the speedometer passes 10mph. I'm sure there's an aftermarket alarm system that you can buy that can do it but for an entry level sport luxury vehicle it should already come standard.
Also, i don't know if you guy's have noticed but trying opening and closing any of the four doors of our cars. YOu'll notice that it doesn't make that firm "thump" when closed. I don't know if i'm explaining it right but whenever i look at cars i always observe the sound of a vehicle door closing. The deeper the "thump" normally the more quality i see it having. It also has to do with the weight of the door. The more it weighs, the better the quality also. I'm not docking the TSX for having low quality because that's the last thing our cars have. Rather, it's just an observation that i want everyone here to know.
the TSX is the SHEEEEZ. It should have a lil more power, say maybe EURO R type power, that would've been SICK. Also, i think ALL Acura's should have standard Auto-Leveling Bi-Xenon headlights. If Acura's trying to compete with the big dogs i'm thinking that feature should be there. Don't you guys think?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Hmmm, the scratch on the passenger's side of my bumper?

On a serious note, most of the stuff I don't like about the TSX have been mentioned here. There's the Michelin stock tires, bad placement of the moonroof controls, and the huge turning radius. Small things, really.

On a positive note, I LOVE the handling .
Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

Man.. I hate how the TSX has a TSX forum that has a TSX thread where TSX members complains about their car.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Well, that's how you learn to appreciate what you have even more, right?

:P
Old 12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by aaronng
You would if you bolted on a supercharger. For me, the sunroof switch placement is the only thing I don't care for. Everything else I love.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:29 PM

i hate how if i have the CD changer full and i eject one CD i cant just start playin another by selecting it, I have to wait for it to stop "waiting" for me to insert another.

Or if i eject one, I can't select the next one i want to be ejected until it's stops "waiting". Or else it just ejects the next CD in sequence.

Other than that I really don't have any other complaints.

Well maybe, that it has ACURA door sills and an "A" on the air bag and it says ACURA on my radio ....i think
:flame suit on:
Old 12-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
i hate how if i have the CD changer full and i eject one CD i cant just start playin another by selecting it, I have to wait for it to stop "waiting" for me to insert another.

Or if i eject one, I can't select the next one i want to be ejected until it's stops "waiting". Or else it just ejects the next CD in sequence.

Other than that I really don't have any other complaints.

Well maybe, that it has ACURA door sills and an "A" on the air bag and it says ACURA on my radio ....i think
:flame suit on:

ILoveMyAcura
Old 12-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Racer

For the 15 months I've owned my TSX, I haven't quite "adjusted" to the seat.

I don't know, but the TSX driver seat is so hard me to feel comfortable in. I find myself with aches and abdomen muscle strains because of the way I have to sit. I'll be honest, my '96 civic ex seat felt better even though it was a 2-way adjustable seat. I also don't have the same problem in my mom's '00 camry.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Every 06 startup requires repetitive prepwork.

Start the car, mash the MID button to display, hit OK disclaimer, confirm Bluetooth is paired with Treo (sometimes it craps out), plug in the Ipod to the adapter, hit Aux button. Then seatbelt (of course).

Quick Reply: What DON'T You Like About the TSX?