Discounts on RDXs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Discounts on RDXs

Newbie here.

I just want to share my experience in purchasing an RDX tech. I really think that deals can be had right now.

We just purchased a Tech RDX in Chicago area for a very good price from my dealer. I emailed a bunch of local dealers last Thur and Fri and with a little pushing and price bidding... most dealers were willing to go about $1500-1700 off MSRP on the Tech model. There were a couple dealers sticking by their MSRP + a couple of free accessories and blah blah blah. I went back to my old dealer and they gave me an even better price as a repeat customer. We also got lucky as they just had a CGP/Ebony car delivered to their dealership on Sat. which no one ordered. It was my wife's first choice in color combo. It wasn't even PDIed yet and so we bought it right there. Picked it up Monday and my wife is very happy. It had 3 miles on the odo.

While it is true that a lot of the Tech models were pre-ordered or already sold through November and December, there are some color combos that are still out there on the lots or incoming that are unspoken for. I really don't think that demand is outpacing supply right now.

Jim
Old 10-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jhwu
Newbie here.

I just want to share my experience in purchasing an RDX tech. I really think that deals can be had right now.

We just purchased a Tech RDX in Chicago area for a very good price from my dealer. I emailed a bunch of local dealers last Thur and Fri and with a little pushing and price bidding... most dealers were willing to go about $1500-1700 off MSRP on the Tech model. There were a couple dealers sticking by their MSRP + a couple of free accessories and blah blah blah. I went back to my old dealer and they gave me an even better price as a repeat customer. We also got lucky as they just had a CGP/Ebony car delivered to their dealership on Sat. which no one ordered. It was my wife's first choice in color combo. It wasn't even PDIed yet and so we bought it right there. Picked it up Monday and my wife is very happy. It had 3 miles on the odo.

While it is true that a lot of the Tech models were pre-ordered or already sold through November and December, there are some color combos that are still out there on the lots or incoming that are unspoken for. I really don't think that demand is outpacing supply right now.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm also in the Chicago area, about to purchase a non-tech RDX. Can you share the name of your dealer? If not on the forum, my e-mail is gounu2001-cars@yahoo.com

I'm currently at about $2200 off on a base model, which is $700 over invoice. I went through much the same process as you, soliciting internet quotes, and shopping the best one around to the other dealers. I was rather amazed at the dealers who responded to the "can you beat this offer" e-mail with a "sorry, we are not discounting at this time, enjoy you're new vehicle." That from a dealer I had been to and saw a number of RDXs on the lot.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 10-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Philbert
Hi Jim,

"can you beat this offer" e-mail with a "sorry, we are not discounting at this time, enjoy you're new vehicle." That from a dealer I had been to and saw a number of RDXs on the lot.

Cheers,
Phil
"sorry, we are not discounting at this time" = a dealer that has lots of RDXs on the lot.

I guess they think they are special since that does not seem to be the case at all dealerships.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Phil, sent you back an email. I'm new so I'm not sure if I'm suppose to name dealers or not. A lot of other car forums prohibits that... Sounds like you are getting a very good deal!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gadgets
"sorry, we are not discounting at this time" = a dealer that has lots of RDXs on the lot.

I guess they think they are special since that does not seem to be the case at all dealerships.
haha, I know... One dealer actually left a message indicating that he will round down the figure from MSRP of $37165 to $37,000 even as a discount. Wow, thanks.

My wife and I were not in a hurry to get a car unless the deal is right. We would've waited if price was MSRP and non-negotiable. Really though, discounts were not hard to get. Also, working w/ Internet managers definetly helps with discounts too. We've bought our last 2 cars that way, and I've helped numerous friends with the same method.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:39 AM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Definitely gettin discounts, I recieved a nice discount off MSRP for my Silver/Ebony/Tech about 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:10 PM
7th Gear

I just purchased my RDX (non-tech) on Sunday from a Phoenix-area Acura dealership and I paid $600 over invoice. I was in and out of the dealership in two hours flat, so it makes me wonder whether I should have asked for an even bigger discount.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Slow Selling?

I stopped in a Houston dealer tonight and was shocked to see over 20 RDX's parked on the lot. There was no time to ask about discounts because they were closing, but clearly this is not a hot seller. I think back to my Odyssey in 2001 when there were none to test drive, and I had to wait weeks for a new one to arrive and pay full sticker, and this was well over a year after they were launched. To see so many of RDX's on the lot when it has only been about 3 months........ bring on the discounts!!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Originally Posted by scutts
I just purchased my RDX (non-tech) on Sunday from a Phoenix-area Acura dealership and I paid $600 over invoice. I was in and out of the dealership in two hours flat, so it makes me wonder whether I should have asked for an even bigger discount.
are you using the invoice figure on Edmunds: $30,774 including destination? I paid $725 over this price in the Chicago-area last Thursday.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by ozwaldo
I stopped in a Houston dealer tonight and was shocked to see over 20 RDX's parked on the lot. There was no time to ask about discounts because they were closing, but clearly this is not a hot seller. I think back to my Odyssey in 2001 when there were none to test drive, and I had to wait weeks for a new one to arrive and pay full sticker, and this was well over a year after they were launched. To see so many of RDX's on the lot when it has only been about 3 months........ bring on the discounts!!
I started a thread about this here. It definetly is not an off the bat smash hit but still a little early to tell. There are definetly some things I think Acura should work on so that this does not end up like the RL.

For instance: my parents are in the market for luxury SUV & I told them to check out the RDX: their response was "Why? When I can get an MDX for a few thousand more?" Granted, I believe he was talkin 2006 but still ... much like the RL, the RDX is a good car but I wonder if it is hitting the right niche to sell well.

Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 AM
3rd Gear

I've been eyeing the RDX for a few weeks. I had my '03 MDX in the shop this week and I was lucky enough to get an RDX/Tech as a loaner.

My assessment after 24 hours with the RDX... I loved it, and I may buy one when my lease is up in March.

However, I think in many ways it's (to paraphrase Road and Track) "the answer to a question nobody asked." At its size, many people will cross-shop it with the CR-V, Rav4, and CX-7 and find the RDX too expensive.

The exterior styling also left me a little cold. It reminds me of the old Rav4 (which isn't a compliment), and the stock wheels look kind of cheap.

As much as I personally liked it, I think it's overpriced at both trim levels by about $3,000.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IndyDaveS2K
I've been eyeing the RDX for a few weeks. I had my '03 MDX in the shop this week and I was lucky enough to get an RDX/Tech as a loaner.

My assessment after 24 hours with the RDX... I loved it, and I may buy one when my lease is up in March.

However, I think in many ways it's (to paraphrase Road and Track) "the answer to a question nobody asked." At its size, many people will cross-shop it with the CR-V, Rav4, and CX-7 and find the RDX too expensive.

The exterior styling also left me a little cold. It reminds me of the old Rav4 (which isn't a compliment), and the stock wheels look kind of cheap.

As much as I personally liked it, I think it's overpriced at both trim levels by about $3,000.
I think the MSRP is a little ambitious. However, if you buy under MSRP by a couple of thousand, then I think it's an ok deal. A tech RDX at $35K is not that bad for the features you get. Honestly, when we shopped for a new car for my wife, we were only looking at the following: X3, 328XI Wagon, A3 2.0T, A4 2.0T Avant, and RDX. My wife did not even want to try out any Subarus (She already drives one) or Mazdas (CX-7). We both find the RAV4 a bit boring and soft and the CRV kind of funky looking and underpowered. I like the CX-7 but it's interior is not as nice as the RDX. Driving dynamics is probably very similar to the RDX though. So, I think Acura is marketing this car directly against the X3 and the upcoming small CUVs from Volvo, Audi, and Mercedes. Whether this works out or not, we shall see.

** While I'm ranting... here's a mini comparison between the RDX and the 07 X3 **

During our test drive process, we eliminated most of the cars for various reasons. The two left standing were the X3 and RDX. Drove the RDX, we were both so surprised at the handling and features for the price. Drove the X3, and to get a comparable content to the RDX Tech, we would have to do European Delivery and still come in at $5-6K more. Granted, anyone that say the RDX will out handle and outgun the X3, especially the 2007 trim with 260hp is probably dreaming. We concluded that the X3 handled probably 10 to 15% better. The inline 6 is silky smooth and it felt a little faster and you want to drive it fast. At the end of the day though, the 10 to 15% better drive does not justify the extra costs as well as the less than "luxury" interior compared to the RDX. So, after driving the RDX again, we decided it was the perfect car for us.

Jim
Old 10-25-2006, 07:50 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Philbert
are you using the invoice figure on Edmunds: $30,774 including destination? I paid $725 over this price in the Chicago-area last Thursday.

I paid $31,500. I thought the invoice was $30,900 rather than $30,700, so I guess I paid $800 over invoice. But I feel like I got a square deal.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

35 RDXs on lot at the biggest Acura dealer in Bay Area

I checked and they have 35 on the lot. There is no way Acura is meeting their sales goals so far... I emailed the internet sales guy and I'm down to 35k flat on a tech RDX. As others have expressed, the RDX is about $3k overpriced at both trim levels and I agree. I will buy it if they let me at 34k but I'm not counting on that. The feeling of the RDX being slightly overpriced and the poor mileage are why I don't have one in my driveway already.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just sent an email to my internet sales manager, stating I had heard some dealerships have gone done 1500 to 2200 dollars. I also suggested that I would possibly be willing to strike a deal such as getting it for MSRP but having them include the autodimming mirror, the clear bra, the leather shift knob, the bumper protector(back), and the all season mats. I "aknowledged" that they do not have an official loyalty, policy, but that our previous salesman suggested something of the sort for returning customers.

I'll let you guys know what I see in response.

Mike
Old 10-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crazymjb
I just sent an email to my internet sales manager, stating I had heard some dealerships have gone done 1500 to 2200 dollars. I also suggested that I would possibly be willing to strike a deal such as getting it for MSRP but having them include the autodimming mirror, the clear bra, the leather shift knob, the bumper protector(back), and the all season mats. I "aknowledged" that they do not have an official loyalty, policy, but that our previous salesman suggested something of the sort for returning customers.

I'll let you guys know what I see in response.

Mike
Good luck! I think the dealer would opt for your option 2 since they make more money off of accessories. If they refuse, email more dealers. Someone will eventually meet your demands. Don't give up!

I also bought from my old dealer, but I didn't approach them until I got a lot of internet quotes from other local dealers. I then presented them with my lowest quote but also stated what I wanted to pay. In my example, my lowest quote was around 35,461, but I wanted something close to $1000 over invoice. Hence my dealer came back w/ $35K even. He met my offer and so I went over there. What's curious is that I have now seen ~ 3 more posters getting the $35K quote! I'm waiting to see who gets the first Tech under $35K which may come pretty soon!

Jim
Old 10-25-2006, 10:36 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yea my tech with over 1500 in options was 36k even.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Advanced

in general, car sales are weak this month. The local dealers I know well, are all complaining of being well short on sales goals for Oct. For example, one dealer does 150 cars a month, they sold 30 so far in Oct!

The rdx discounts came quicker and larger than I anticipated, but anyone waiting till Dec will surely get a few hundred over invoice. If not now. My salesman that I test drove with, has been calling me non stop to come by again, as they are now discounting the rdx. Too late for them. Dont let any dealer give you the "hot" car bs, both aucra dealers I went to have nearly all the rdx's they had when i visited a few weeks ago
Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Suzuka Master

^I'd say that depend where you live. When the snow rolls in...

Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TSX69
I started a thread about this here. It definetly is not an off the bat smash hit but still a little early to tell. There are definetly some things I think Acura should work on so that this does not end up like the RL.

For instance: my parents are in the market for luxury SUV & I told them to check out the RDX: their response was "Why? When I can get an MDX for a few thousand more?" Granted, I believe he was talkin 2006 but still ... much like the RL, the RDX is a good car but I wonder if it is hitting the right niche to sell well.

The new MDX is ten grand more. The problem with the RDX may be that it is small, thirsty and expensive, even though it is a really nice little ute.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Originally Posted by scutts
I paid $31,500. I thought the invoice was $30,900 rather than $30,700, so I guess I paid $800 over invoice. But I feel like I got a square deal.
We paid $31,500 and felt good about the deal. They also offered us $500 more on our trade than we'd been quoted anywhere else. Still, it seems Blue Book trade-in values are worthless these days... Trades are valued by the black book and/or weekly auction prices, which the consumer doesn't have access to (that I can find at least.)

Cheers,
Phil
Old 10-28-2006, 10:50 AM
4th Gear

Great news i just bought my 07 rdx white/ebony tech pkg for $34,700 so the dealers are really tring to put them out on the road..
Old 10-28-2006, 11:38 AM
rdxsteverino

Originally Posted by madskills07
Great news i just bought my 07 rdx white/ebony tech pkg for $34,700 so the dealers are really tring to put them out on the road..
Great price! Where did you buy?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Did you get any accessories, and were they at any additional cost?

Mike
Old 10-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Master in Science

I visited a dealership yesterday in S. California and they had 18 RDXs on the lot, 9 with Tech package and 9 without. Clearly, there's potential for price negotiating when the car is not selling well (meaning it's not flying out the lot). I didn't bother to seat down inside as I'm not buying one right now.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Advanced

madskills07,

Does $34,700 include the destination chrge?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Since this thread is about getting a good deal, what does everyone think of the method listed out here?

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...hreadid=444610
Old 10-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by OC-RDX
madskills07,

I'd assume so... It's hardly a deal if it doesn't. When we were working out the deal on the TL they just assumed we meant destination was included.

Mike
Old 10-28-2006, 09:47 PM
4th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by OC-RDX
madskills07,

yea it was a total after destination including teck pkg of $34,700 they are a NC dealer...
Old 10-28-2006, 09:52 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
Great price! Where did you buy?
it was a NC dealer they were great to deal with
Old 10-29-2006, 01:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Any accessories?

Mike
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
8th Gear

So, now that it's November, and the lower than projected sales aren't such a secret, what prices are people getting? I was offered 35,800 in an internet quote, can I expect to get much lower when I actually go in and haggle?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Intermediate

I'm at $35,300 just waiting to see what's going to come back tomorrow. I'm not sure how low I can go without being an ass and pissing off salespeople. If no one's willing to drop at least $400 I'll probably take that offer. $200 isn't jack when you're buying a $35k car.

I don't know how that guy got $34,700.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Allanon
I'm at $35,300 just waiting to see what's going to come back tomorrow. I'm not sure how low I can go without being an ass and pissing off salespeople. If no one's willing to drop at least $400 I'll probably take that offer. $200 isn't jack when you're buying a $35k car.

I don't know how that guy got $34,700.
Well since it's november 2nd right now, you're probably not going to get as good a deal as you would have on october 31st. If you can wait till the end of november, you'd probably get a better deal than 34700. I'd bet we'll see $34500 by the end of november...
Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sasair
Well since it's november 2nd right now, you're probably not going to get as good a deal as you would have on october 31st. If you can wait till the end of november, you'd probably get a better deal than 34700. I'd bet we'll see $34500 by the end of november...
Well I started negotiating 10/30 but I told them I wasn't in a hurry. I'm going to hold out at least another week.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kalihoku77
So, now that it's November, and the lower than projected sales aren't such a secret, what prices are people getting? I was offered 35,800 in an internet quote, can I expect to get much lower when I actually go in and haggle?
Did you get a quote from Tustin Acura & Cerritos Acura? They are two of the higher volume Acura dealers in the OC, South LA county area. Last I checked, Tustin showed 35+ RDX's available on their website. Cerritos had almost as many.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by elgage44
I checked and they have 35 on the lot. There is no way Acura is meeting their sales goals so far... I emailed the internet sales guy and I'm down to 35k flat on a tech RDX. As others have expressed, the RDX is about $3k overpriced at both trim levels and I agree. I will buy it if they let me at 34k but I'm not counting on that. The feeling of the RDX being slightly overpriced and the poor mileage are why I don't have one in my driveway already.
I bought a tech RDX a few weeks ago in Marin County for an even $2000 off sticker. It's doable.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I almost bought a base RDX for invoice ($30700) last week, but got cold feet (still have a few reservations about the vehicle but am slowly coming around). That was with end of month pressure on my side, of course, but at least it shows that they are willing to deal. I never expected that to be possible on this vehicle so shortly after introduction, so those of us who are interested in the RDX are lucky at this point. I will probably go back to the dealer next week and continue with negotiations on my trade.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by c_hunter
I almost bought a base RDX for invoice ($30700) last week, but got cold feet (still have a few reservations about the vehicle but am slowly coming around). That was with end of month pressure on my side, of course, but at least it shows that they are willing to deal. I never expected that to be possible on this vehicle so shortly after introduction, so those of us who are interested in the RDX are lucky at this point. I will probably go back to the dealer next week and continue with negotiations on my trade.
Hey thats awesome. Are they trying to screw you on the trade? I've always had good luck selling my trade to carmax. They always offer me more than the dealers do for trade value. Of course you'd have to have a carmax around you...
Old 11-03-2006, 11:28 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by sasair
Hey thats awesome. Are they trying to screw you on the trade? I've always had good luck selling my trade to carmax. They always offer me more than the dealers do for trade value. Of course you'd have to have a carmax around you...

I do have a CarMax within 50 miles, but would use that as a last resort -- they were not super great on a previous car I brought by for appraisal. The Acura dealer is decent on the current trade, but could do better. It's the classic situation where they cut the price on the new car and attempt to make it up on the back end with the trade. That's not much help to me! I just got a guaranteed-trade letter from Subaru for my vehicle -- 05 Outback XT -- and will try to use that as some sort of bargaining/reference point with the Acura dealer.

Quick Reply: Discounts on RDXs