fresh meat! help me out with my 99 cl

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation fresh meat! help me out with my 99 cl

Okay so I hope my title got the attention of a a few people. Don't know much about the forum stuff so I don't know where to find the answers I'm looking for. I have tried tho. I recently bought a 99 Acura cl 3.0 it's all stock and I can't wait to start upgrading. I've done a lot of research so I know what I want to do and the basic order I want to go in. The only problem I had is when I came to looking for a body kit. Didn't go so well. I want my car to look nice and sporty but not like the kits I saw. I want a more subtle kit nothing real dramatic. Now I'm okay with having some what of a sleeper look until I get around to getting a custom fabbed wide body kit. But the only thing that's bugging me is if I can install a turbo without the intercooler sticking out the bottom. I'd like to get the turbo first but I just need to know if my intercooler is going to stick out. If so I'm gonna have to suck it up and get a body kit first.

Hope someone can help me out. Thanks
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 PM
One custom CL

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
let me break this down the easy way...
to get a turbo in that car you will need $15000 and a lot of patience
there is a lot of work involved that you may not be aware of
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM
10th Gear

Oh I am. I was going to do a lot to my girlfriends car and I did a lot of research just never had time to get started. So I know what goes into it. I plan on having this car for a while. And I'm not talking about just ordering everything tonight and going to work I don't have that kind of money. It's a project as is everyone else's car on here. All I'm wanting to know is if my intercooler is going to hang past my stock front bumper. I plan on getting performance done first. No point in having a car that looks fast if it's not. So in doing all the necessary upgrades to prepare my car for the turbo my intentions on getting a body kit aren't very high. But when it comes time to putting a turbo in I'd like to know if the intercooler is going to hang lower than my stock bumber. If so I will get my body kit right before the turbo goes on. I'm planning everything out ahead of time so everything goes as smooth as possible
Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 PM
SANJOCL

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i would try to hit up cocoa....or ethenol (although ive been told hes not around)...those two have crazy turbo builds...i believe ethenol had a twin turbo in his cl.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
2600lb CL

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
Contact "yungone501" from our boards, you can find him in the 2nd Generation CL section. His shop is located in your city and they are knowledgeable with j series. His recent work includes a tls engine swap into a 6th gen accord with a custom fabricated turbo kit.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 PM
One custom CL

Originally Posted by scumdiddle
Oh I am. I was going to do a lot to my girlfriends car and I did a lot of research just never had time to get started. So I know what goes into it. I plan on having this car for a while. And I'm not talking about just ordering everything tonight and going to work I don't have that kind of money. It's a project as is everyone else's car on here. All I'm wanting to know is if my intercooler is going to hang past my stock front bumper. I plan on getting performance done first. No point in having a car that looks fast if it's not. So in doing all the necessary upgrades to prepare my car for the turbo my intentions on getting a body kit aren't very high. But when it comes time to putting a turbo in I'd like to know if the intercooler is going to hang lower than my stock bumber. If so I will get my body kit right before the turbo goes on. I'm planning everything out ahead of time so everything goes as smooth as possible

You will need to rip your engine apart to flow better. Id reinforce your bottom end. Depends on your power goals. Transmission you will most likely need to convert to a manual which will require custom mounts and fitment. A custom turbo kit would be necessary and wala youre done. Intercooler size and fitment is the least of your issues. Cocoa is your best bet for help. His advise would be gold for you. All he requires is gift cards to the local strip joint and a lot of booze...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
2600lb CL

I'll settle for a trip to any of the brothel houses in k-town (dallas)
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 PM
10th Gear

I guess supra man isn't understanding English. I'm not looking to put a turbo in and I'm just gonna go get a turbo kit and slap it on. I don't plan on getting a turbo for a couple of years. I also don't plan on this being much of a racer. I want more of a show car but when someone pulls up next to me wanting to race I'm gonna give it to em.. hopefully. I'm not converting to manual because I could sell the one I have and go buy a manual car if I was that serious. He'll if I was that serious I woulda bought a rwd car in the first place. As I said I have done lots of reaserch, so when I'm asking if my intercooler will poke out past my stock ront bumper I really don't need someone getting on here and telling me how much its all gonna cost and how much patients its gonna take. And after I tell u I know what it is going to take and re ask the first question u failed to answer don't get back on here telling me what I need to upgrade like I asked.

So once more. Does anybody know if an intercooler will hang lower than the front bumper. If you have 0 information on the question I'm asking and only the question I'm asking please help me out.

P.s. thanks cocoa, you didn't answer my question but pointed me in the right direction to find it. Greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 PM
2600lb CL

Currently there are no turbo kits for the 3.0 CL to simply slap on, so this route requires custom fabrication. To answer the question, "will my intercooler hang lower than the bumper, or stick out" is nearly impossible for any of us to answer. That answer would be determined by:

1. size of intercooler (do you have your heart set for a front mount, or would you not mind a side mount intercooler like the ones found in some volvos and the 3000gt vr4).

2. Both piping sizes AND the routing for said piping

3. Would you be willing to remove the bumper support for more room for said intercooler (if you decided on front mount)

Just some things that come to mind. Ethenol was the only member that I recall with a turbo 3.0 CL and his piping literally stuck out the front bumper. So none of us really have anything to go by to answer this question.

You have just entered a realm where imagination/creativity will have to overpower and overcome whats commonly known and found for other cars in the aftermarket scene.

The 4 cylinder CL would be your most cost effective choice if you're looking to add some decent power to back up the looks of your project car. Otherwise, welcome to my world.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
One custom CL

Originally Posted by scumdiddle
I guess supra man isn't understanding English. I'm not looking to put a turbo in and I'm just gonna go get a turbo kit and slap it on. I don't plan on getting a turbo for a couple of years. I also don't plan on this being much of a racer. I want more of a show car but when someone pulls up next to me wanting to race I'm gonna give it to em.. hopefully. I'm not converting to manual because I could sell the one I have and go buy a manual car if I was that serious. He'll if I was that serious I woulda bought a rwd car in the first place. As I said I have done lots of reaserch, so when I'm asking if my intercooler will poke out past my stock ront bumper I really don't need someone getting on here and telling me how much its all gonna cost and how much patients its gonna take. And after I tell u I know what it is going to take and re ask the first question u failed to answer don't get back on here telling me what I need to upgrade like I asked.

So once more. Does anybody know if an intercooler will hang lower than the front bumper. If you have 0 information on the question I'm asking and only the question I'm asking please help me out.

P.s. thanks cocoa, you didn't answer my question but pointed me in the right direction to find it. Greatly appreciated.

You want a turbo but dont want a turbo. You want to build but dont want it for a number of years. You want to race but dont want to race. What you ask makes no sense. An intercooler comes in many different sizes. You can buy a core that fits with modifications and put the appropriate end to make work. They do NOT make a proper fitted turbo kit for a J30 CL without fitment issues. How do I know this you might ask? I know because an Acura CL isnt a platform to build off. No one builds them... especially for show or power or fake power or whatever you are talking about. You may not like my answers because I know what im talking about.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM
10th Gear

Thanks again cocoa. I'm sure in upgrading most of my car ill be in touch with a mechanic so when it comes that time ill see where I have to go. Supra man, u misread. i want to get a turbo but I'm not going to just go buy some kit and slap it on. I know I'm going to have to upgrade a lot of the car so it can handle having a turbo in it. And I don't want a race car. I want more of a show car but if someone wants to race I want it to be fast also. So I'm not going to rip apart my interior and take out seats and remove the spare tire and take out all the unnecessary weight and things you dont need in a race car because that's not what I'm wanting. If some of the things get in the way I will mount somewhere else if possible. Now take hints from cocoa and when u want to give someone advise on what their asking it helps if u stay on the topic of what he's asking. If u asked if a 98 accord v6 CAI will fit on your 99 cl, I'm not gonna get on here and tell u one cost 200 bucks and u can find one on eBay. That's no help to you because u have probably already looked at them and done some research. If I looked anywhere at getting a turbo for a car I'm sure whatever I'm reading is going to tell me necessary upgrades to getting one in. That would be my answer if u asked how much a CAI would cost and where to get one. I have one other forum account and it seems like people like to answer questions you don't ask. Weird
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocoa
Currently there are no turbo kits for the 3.0 CL to simply slap on, so this route requires custom fabrication. To answer the question, "will my intercooler hang lower than the bumper, or stick out" is nearly impossible for any of us to answer. That answer would be determined by:

1. size of intercooler (do you have your heart set for a front mount, or would you not mind a side mount intercooler like the ones found in some volvos and the 3000gt vr4).

2. Both piping sizes AND the routing for said piping

3. Would you be willing to remove the bumper support for more room for said intercooler (if you decided on front mount)

Just some things that come to mind. Ethenol was the only member that I recall with a turbo 3.0 CL and his piping literally stuck out the front bumper. So none of us really have anything to go by to answer this question.

You have just entered a realm where imagination/creativity will have to overpower and overcome whats commonly known and found for other cars in the aftermarket scene.

The 4 cylinder CL would be your most cost effective choice if you're looking to add some decent power to back up the looks of your project car. Otherwise, welcome to my world.

Hope this helps.
Chris, wasn't your problem with ThinJim's turbo was that it didn't fit because of the firewall? or that the turbo was going to be where the passenger seat was at?

Also look up ethenol's build. IIRC, he tried a twin turbo setup on his 3.0?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

And I never said I don't want the car for a long time. I said I plan on having the car for a while.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM
2600lb CL

Originally Posted by asianspec
Chris, wasn't your problem with ThinJim's turbo was that it didn't fit because of the firewall? or that the turbo was going to be where the passenger seat was at?

Also look up ethenol's build. IIRC, he tried a twin turbo setup on his 3.0?
The subframe was what was in the way. The 2nd gen has a lot more room in the front for piping than I did, so that stopped me dead in my tracks. I honestly could have kept it, handed it to a shop, and have them figure it out but I messed up and sold it before trying. No regrets though
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Yeah. On to the next step.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,419 Likes on 3,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Cocoa
The subframe was what was in the way. The 2nd gen has a lot more room in the front for piping than I did, so that stopped me dead in my tracks. I honestly could have kept it, handed it to a shop, and have them figure it out but I messed up and sold it before trying. No regrets though
I wanted that kit so bad, but didn't have the money at the time. I so could have had the pipe reworked.