Test drive some cars today...and a TLX V6...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
You are putting words in my mouth...I never said the car is a POS...I just said it cannot compete with real entry level luxury sedan, especially at the moment without SH-AWD trim available.
Not to be a pedant here but calling something a "turd on wheels" is the exact same thing as calling something a POS for the simple reason that a "turd" is the same thing as a piece of sh*t.

QED.
The following 9 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
07Acuradude (08-26-2014), a35tl (08-25-2014), Acura_Dude (08-25-2014), jshaw (08-25-2014), Ken1997TL (08-25-2014), Legend2TL (08-25-2014), PreludeVTEC01 (08-25-2014), rockstar143 (08-25-2014), WDPTL2006 (08-25-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-25-2014, 02:54 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Old 08-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,921 Likes on 14,461 Posts
You are putting words in my mouth...I never said the car is a POS...I just said it cannot compete with real entry level luxury sedan, especially at the moment without SH-AWD trim available.
I guess you missed the memo...
IDGAF what you said..I was paraphrasing what I gathered from what you posted. If that's not what you were trying to convey, feel free to shoot the messenger.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:04 PM

You seem like a pretty angry dude...maybe a German car should be your next vehicle. Acura won't miss you, that much I can guarantee.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
anyone seeing that IS banner at the top of the page.. good lord that thing is hideous.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
anyone seeing that IS banner at the top of the page.. good lord that thing is hideous.
It looks like a turd on a skateboard to me!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts
Turd and shit... same thing if you ask me... LMAO just messin. I am leaving this post now, I own a TLX and am highly offended by your opinions.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:35 PM

Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
This thread is like driving a Buick off of a cliff. From the start it had nowhere to go but down. Whoever wrote that the IS looks like a turd on a skateboard is proof of my theory that if you put a smart person in a room with a dumb person -- the smart person will get dumber -- because the weight and gravity of dumb is irresistible. Rather than come up with a better derogatory description of the IS -- dumb always wins out -- posters are riffing on the OP's description that they have purported to object to. But it's not people -- it's the internet -- so don't be offended.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts
These are bare boned stripper trims, I did not try a stripper TLX.

Even a stripper 3 Series, has overall a better feel to me than the TLX I tested....people comparing it to a 328i should actually drive a 328i and report back

I would never buy a 328i but I take it over a TLX...sorry.
I don't care what you'll buy. You're "reviewing" the TLX so what are your standards? Or are you just spewing worthless babble.
So what makes an entry level luxury sedan? Go look at the new Mercedes C300. To get the same features as the advanced TLX, you will pay well over $50,000.
And that's WITHOUT leather. Price out a BMW 328i with the sames features and see how much you'll pay. Do the same with the Audi. Some of the TLX features aren't even available on those ( P-aws, lane departure mitigation, V6 cylinder cut off to increase mileage).

The point is, the TLX offers a huge amount of tech. A quiet refined ride. Sophisticated drive trains. Great sound system. At a much better price point the TLX matches the others feature for feature. RWD is nice for handling but most people don't flog their cars around a track like the auto rags do so as long as the car corners and handles well in real world driving, that's all that really matters and the TLX handles just fine.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I think you are clueless.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Glashub
. Whoever wrote that the IS looks like a turd on a skateboard is proof of my theory that if you put a smart person in a room with a dumb person -- the smart person will get dumber -- because the weight and gravity of dumb is irresistible.
So much for me trying to bring a little bit of levity into the conversation.. I get called "dumber" for my effort... gotta love it!

So many are so above it all......
The following users liked this post:
Glashub (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
just got back from test driving it...and the RDX...

It was nice...i could stomach the price point for the base I-4...but approaching $45k for the loaded sh-awd V6, no way. this did not "feel" like a $40-45k car. i also test drove the RLX, and the interior was 2 tiers ahead of the TLX, and was definitely more worthy of a $10k premium over the loaded TLX.

in the end, out of all the cars on the floor, i thought the RDX had the best usability for the price point. the v6 is standard on it, and it was signifcantly less than the TLX. Which not only brought me to the conclusion that the TLX is overpriced compared to its Acura counterparts, but it was also not ground breaking considering it is the newest to the line-up.

i would say getting an I-4 fwd tech is a decent/smart buy, but if youre in need for a v6 with SH-Awd, then acrua really needs to negotiate on the price for them to get ppls attention.

side note: the sticker shock for the acura may be perceived in a vacuum. truth is, a small luxury v6 by today's stadards are pushing that $50k price point. It's just that acura has historically been at a significant discount to others, especially since sales have been hurting. Acura thinks they could erase recent history with a huge TLX marketing campaign, and just join Lexus/Audi/MB by asking for $40-45k for a v-6 awd compact sedan. my perception is that acura has been struggling, and that we should be able to snatch and grab good value cars from the dealerships. acura is drawing a strong line in their asking price now, and its hard to swallow.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 08-25-2014 at 04:55 PM.
LiQiCE (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 04:46 PM

We should make him buy a TLX as punishment!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ThermonMermon

It was nice...i could stomach the price point for the base I-4...but approaching $45k for the loaded sh-awd V6, no way. this did not "feel" like a $45k car. i also test drove the RLX, and the interior was 2 tiers ahead of the TLX, and was definitely more worthy of a $10k premium over the loaded TLX.

in the end, out of all the cars on the floor, i thought the RDX had the best usability for the price point. the v6 is standard on it, and it was signifcantly less than the TLX. Which not only brought me to the conclusion that the TLX is overpriced compared to its Acura counterparts, but it was also not ground breaking considering it was the newest to the line-up.

i would say getting an I-4 fwd tech is a decent/smart buy, but if youre in need for a v6 with SH-Awd, then acrua really needs to negotiate on the price for them to get my attention.
Were you okay with the $51K price point of the 4G TL SH-AWD Advance? I find the TLX to be equal to or even better than the 4G.

Overpriced? I call BS
Old 08-25-2014, 04:51 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Sorry to break it to you but today Acura competiton is Buick and Lincoln.
I understand why someone would say this, especially regarding Buick, but I'm not so sure about Lincoln. I'd like to know how many folks cross-shop the MKZ with the TLX. I bet it's small percentage, because I suspect MKZ folks are more drawn to the Lexus ES.

One reason it's difficult to identify Acura's competitors is that two of the most natural were always Volvo and Saab, but Volvo is a bit player at this point and Saab has disappeared entirely. The only other FWD-based luxury marque is Audi, but with quattro's dominance, few people think of Audi in those terms.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Were you okay with the $51K price point of the 4G TL SH-AWD Advance? I find the TLX to be equal to or even better than the 4G.

Overpriced? I call BS
no, i wasnt okay with the $51k price point. apparently, a lot of ppl werent okay with that price point - look at the sales...hell, now with the TLX out, you could get it for a $10k+ discount.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Last week a co worker and I went to check it out and lunch time, looks wise either one of us where impressed. We both thought it looked sorta economy car-ish, definitely not a looker. On the other hand the tech on board is pretty good I must say.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Monte TLS,MAX
Last week a co worker and I went to check it out and lunch time, looks wise either one of us where impressed. We both thought it looked sorta economy car-ish, definitely not a looker. On the other hand the tech on board is pretty good I must say.

I just saw it today "in person" and I wasn't impress either. While it's a nice car for money I'm thinking that's a more a nice upgrade for Accord and TSX crowd than TL ones. I had a feeling that it was designed for "feminine clientele" . While 4G looks "manly"(no discrimination intended) and aggressive , the TLX seems delicate. I may end up buying it(SH-AWD) for peace of mind but is not from the heart as when I bought my 4G.
My "ideal" 5G TLX will be a 4G with jewel eyes headlights and the rest of TLX technology. Just my opinion.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by smoooov
I don't care what you'll buy. You're "reviewing" the TLX so what are your standards? Or are you just spewing worthless babble.
So what makes an entry level luxury sedan? Go look at the new Mercedes C300. To get the same features as the advanced TLX, you will pay well over $50,000.
And that's WITHOUT leather. Price out a BMW 328i with the sames features and see how much you'll pay. Do the same with the Audi. Some of the TLX features aren't even available on those ( P-aws, lane departure mitigation, V6 cylinder cut off to increase mileage).

The point is, the TLX offers a huge amount of tech. A quiet refined ride. Sophisticated drive trains. Great sound system. At a much better price point the TLX matches the others feature for feature. RWD is nice for handling but most people don't flog their cars around a track like the auto rags do so as long as the car corners and handles well in real world driving, that's all that really matters and the TLX handles just fine.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but I think you are clueless.
I'm not even dignify you with a detailed answer since you did not get the point of my review...go back and read...luckily this guy did:

It was nice...i could stomach the price point for the base I-4...but approaching $45k for the loaded sh-awd V6, no way. this did not "feel" like a $40-45k car. i also test drove the RLX, and the interior was 2 tiers ahead of the TLX, and was definitely more worthy of a $10k premium over the loaded TLX.
Here you go, someone actually get it

smoooov have you driven a BMW 328i?? A Lexus IS?? A Q50?? Did you actually look at the interiors or just look at the feature list sheet?? Ever looked at the Mercedes CLA?? I rest my case...
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
This thread is interesting. All the cars that were named are all nice cars IMO. I like the TLX and it does have the best bang for your dollar when compared to other makes. The good thing is everyone has their own opinions and that's why we have choices. OP wasn't happy with the TLX, maybe in a few years he and his wife may end up buying one after a redesign. No big deal. I'm personally a fan of BMW, Lexus, Audi, Buick (Regal GS), Acura, Ford, Honda, Mazda, Infiniti, etc. Whatever catches my eye at the time. I like having choices. I guess at the end of the day it's what appeals to the buyer. I'm still a fan of the TLX and I'm pretty sure it'll sell well. Maybe it'll sell well enough for a Type-S model. There's a lot riding on this car and from what I've seen many are pre-sold before even reaching the dealers' lots.

Originally Posted by Momyc
I just saw it today "in person" and I wasn't impress either. While it's a nice car for money I'm thinking that's a more a nice upgrade for Accord and TSX crowd than TL ones. I had a feeling that it was designed for "feminine clientele" . While 4G looks "manly"(no discrimination intended) and aggressive , the TLX seems delicate. I may end up buying it(SH-AWD) for peace of mind but is not from the heart as when I bought my 4G.
My "ideal" 5G TLX will be a 4G with jewel eyes headlights and the rest of TLX technology. Just my opinion.
So what's the point of buying a car that you're not going to be truly happy with? If I'm going to make a payment every month I better be happy with my purchase.
randomRon82 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
There is a reason whyLexus is cutting the prices of the GS so much.. it is not selling well. It's a nice car but not worth the price, IMO. I did not find the ride of the GS to be better than the TLX.. but hey, to each their own.

The TLX a "turd on wheels"? *shrug*.. the TLX haters here will love that
Actually, you'll find the reason Lexus is discounting the GS is because they are 2014s and the 2015s will be out shortly. Similar to how the 2014 model introduced new features for the GS (power folding side mirrors & rear cross traffic alert) - the 2015 will likely get a navigation upgrade to match the IS's new navigation. It has been confirmed the 2015 GS will already support RES+ ( https://www.lexusresplus.com/index.jsp ) which allows you to remote start your car via smartphone app amongst some other things.

The sales goal of the GS350 is 20,000 units per year. In 2012, the GS350 sold 22,160 - above the sales target. In 2013, the GS350 sold 19,742 - near the sales goal. As of July 2014, Lexus sold 12,123 units of the GS350 versus 2013 when they sold 10,790 - so I believe they are on target to sell 20,000 units before the end of the year.

Obviously Acura doesn't have a previous year model to discount for the TLX (but I bet 2014 TL and TSX models are marked down quite a bit) - I think next year you will likely find significant discounts on the TLX - unless they are still somehow commanding higher prices due to extreme demand (totally possible).

Anyway - I digress...

Last edited by LiQiCE; 08-25-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
So much for me trying to bring a little bit of levity into the conversation.. I get called "dumber" for my effort... gotta love it!

So many are so above it all......

I'm just messin' with you Stew. We go way back on this forum. I have no bones to pick with you. I was just goofin' for a reaction.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Glashub
I'm just messin' with you Stew. We go way back on this forum. I have no bones to pick with you. I was just goofin' for a reaction.
I was pickin back at ya, my friend trying to keep it light.
Glashub (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Ima going out on a limb here and say you aren't going to but a TLX

Obviously most peoiple here took exception to teh "turd on wheels" line more than anything.

I was not sure I'd like the car until I saw it in person.. I liked it at the first sight and don't see the "cheap" stuff you mentioned. There was plenty of "cheap " things I found in the F-Sport, starting with the dash trim.
I agree. He has every right to share his opinion, but he acted like the car should be sent to the crusher because he was mad at Acura for building it.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm not even dignify you with a detailed answer since you did not get the point of my review...go back and read...luckily this guy did:

Here you go, someone actually get it

smoooov have you driven a BMW 328i?? A Lexus IS?? A Q50?? Did you actually look at the interiors or just look at the feature list sheet?? Ever looked at the Mercedes CLA?? I rest my case...
a 328i.. no (but my good friends wife drives one)
a 535i.. yes
an IS.. no
an ES350.. yes
Q50.. no
G37.. yes
M35.. yes
traded my MB E350 on the TLX
drove C classes as loaners
Looked at CLA... too small. no rear head room
looked at 2015 C300... nice but too pricey even without leather

my only point is the TLX is an entry luxury sedan.
You still won't say what your criteria is for an entry luxury sedan. You won't answer the question because you can't.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Safety Car

i think the pricing for the TLX just isnt supportable amongst the lineup yet. the whole shake up of TSX/TL has removed a lot of value from the table.

1. a v6 awd RDX is cheaper than a less functional TLX v6 awd
2. TLX is more inline with accord, and is now significantly more expensive
3. ILX brings little to the table, and it at a vast premium to civic
4. RLX interior is light years ahead than a loaded TLX, but only $10k more

i think my big take away from throroughly checking out the whole line up in person was that acura is desperately trying to inflate MSRPs on their non-sellers (sedans), and the value just isnt there like it used to be. they are desperately throwing marketing dollars to push support on the pricing. i was standing on the dealership floor, eyeing over the cars, and you could clearly cut through the B.S. of what was going on.

it was a big let down from what i used to know them by. i once favored acura as offering marginally less than the luxury competition, but at a significantly better value...and currently, their line-up just doesnt suggest that. they kept the same sauce, but are asking for more dollars. the equation is broken.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 08-25-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 PM
David_Dude

Not sure if I agree. For what Acura has done, I believe the TLX is priced right, just not sure so much of the RLX/ILX. Entry-level luxury. I always thought Acura's take on things was to always be technologically advanced and to offer value within their class. I still see the value in the TLX. You do get a lot of car for your money. LED headlights are optional on a lot of high-end vehicles. Even the Corolla has LED headlights now and that's an econo-box (different story for a different day).

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 08-25-2014 at 08:26 PM.
weather (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I have a base 2014 RDX loaner right now - I haven't done a lot of research on the RDX but the car feels outdated. The interior isn't in line with the newer Acuras (looks like it still has the 4G TL's swarm of buttons) - the MID is primarily black and white, the radio has the same black and white. Since there is no NAV there is a tiny little screen for the backup camera / radio, etc... It really needs a refresh or an entirely new model to put it in line with the MDX, TLX, RLX - I guess it matches the ILX's interior. I guess we'll see what the 2016 MMC brings for the RDX.

It has more utility than the TLX, but I think you get a lot more with the TLX in terms of features, updated interior -- even though you lose the utility.

I will say though - some parts of the RDX interior seemed to feel higher quality than the TLX (and even the MDX) - but the RDX also has a lot more hard plastics than the TLX and MDX.

Last edited by LiQiCE; 08-25-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Not sure if I agree. For what Acura has done, I believe the TLX is priced right, just not sure so much of the RLX/ILX. Entry-level luxury. I always thought Acura's take on things was to always be technologically advanced and to offer value within their class. I still see the value in the TLX. You do get a lot of car for your money. LED headlights are optional on a lot of high-end vehicles. Even the Corolla has LED headlights now and that's an econo-box (different story for a different day).
True. But if the formula is less luxury with more tech, why would someone favor getting a TLX when you could get a hyundai genesis. There are others, hyundai in particular, that are playing the same card, but the discount in pricing is still preserved. Acura, not as much.

Acura used to be that car you show off to your friends and say, hey, check this out, i have this, this, and this, and youll never guessed what i paid for it. That just doesnt seem to be the case anymore.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 08-25-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Acura_Dude (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
you right....the magazines are trying to figure out if it's more correct to pit the tlx against its real competiton, a mainstream midsize sedan like a fusion or an altima or a true entry level luxury sedan

Maybe a comparo with he buick regal and the lincoln mkz.
ouch!!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude

Hell, back-up cameras are optional on a number of high-end Euro cars.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
David_Dude

True. But if the formula is less luxury with more tech, why would someone favor getting a TLX when you could get a hyundai genesis. There are others, hyundai in particular, that are playing the same card, but the discount in pricing is still preserved. Acura, not as much.
The thing is what the marked perceives as luxury. Even though the Genesis has made great improvements, the market sees it as just a mainstream Hyundai. It took time for the Japanese to be taken serious as well. See how things has changed for them? BMW, MB, Audi came out of the gate as luxury, whereas the Japanese entered the market as entry level luxury. From what I've seen, Lexus has become a serious hard hitter for luxury. I can consider Lexus being tier 1 with the big boys, where as Infiniti and Acura are still tier 2.
BEAR-AvHistory (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Hell, back-up cameras are optional on a number of high-end Euro cars.
Ummm, on my $75,000 BMW 550 heated seats are an option. And even though it is just over two years old, blind spot monitoring was not even available on the car….which the CX9 Mazda we bought four years earlier had.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
So are Audi and BMW way off the mark too or is Acura on target after all?
Acura has not been on any targets for 5 long years. They messed up the 4G TL. They are messing up the ILX. They messed up the ZDX. They messed up the RLX.

Have they produced a saleable sedan since 2009 ? NO.

Now, the TLX will do much better after the 4G TL fiasco but they cannibalize 2 models to make the TLX. The TLX looks cheap to me. Acura is cutting corners again but fortunately for them, Honda admirers don't mind.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

in the end, out of all the cars on the floor, i thought the RDX had the best usability for the price point. the v6 is standard on it, and it was signifcantly less than the TLX. Which not only brought me to the conclusion that the TLX is overpriced compared to its Acura counterparts, but it was also not ground breaking considering it is the newest to the line-up.

i would say getting an I-4 fwd tech is a decent/smart buy, but if youre in need for a v6 with SH-Awd, then acrua really needs to negotiate on the price for them to get ppls attention.

side note: the sticker shock for the acura may be perceived in a vacuum. truth is, a small luxury v6 by today's stadards are pushing that $50k price point. It's just that acura has historically been at a significant discount to others, especially since sales have been hurting. Acura thinks they could erase recent history with a huge TLX marketing campaign, and just join Lexus/Audi/MB by asking for $40-45k for a v-6 awd compact sedan. my perception is that acura has been struggling, and that we should be able to snatch and grab good value cars from the dealerships. acura is drawing a strong line in their asking price now, and its hard to swallow.
Some people often make the same stupid mistake of comparing the price of a car model just fresh off the design studios to a car that's been out for years. The former is more likely to be offered at significant discount while the latter not.

And the RDX doesn't have SH-AWD, nor LED head and tail lights, nor 9-speed, nor many safety techs, etc. These still matter in the pricing even if you personally don't care about them.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Acura has not been on any targets for 5 long years. They messed up the 4G TL. They are messing up the ILX. They messed up the ZDX. They messed up the RLX.

Have they produced a saleable sedan since 2009 ? NO.

Now, the TLX will do much better after the 4G TL fiasco but they cannibalize 2 models to make the TLX. The TLX looks cheap to me. Acura is cutting corners again but fortunately for them, Honda admirers don't mind.
First of all, the 4G TL, ILX, ZDX and RLX have nothing to do with the TLX. Just because you listed some so-so products from Acura doesn't mean all current and future products will have the same outcome.

Second of all, if Acura is cutting corners, then Audi and BMW are as well. Just in some other ways. The TLX interior may not be on par with the best of them in its segment but its price reflects that and you get some other stuff standard that other cars don't for a similar price. Some people are willing to go with less lux interior but more tech and then some. For some other people, it's the other way around. I'm not sure why some people are so stuck up to understand that.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by smoooov
a 328i.. no (but my good friends wife drives one)
a 535i.. yes
an IS.. no
an ES350.. yes
Q50.. no
G37.. yes
M35.. yes
traded my MB E350 on the TLX
drove C classes as loaners
Looked at CLA... too small. no rear head room
looked at 2015 C300... nice but too pricey even without leather

my only point is the TLX is an entry luxury sedan.
You still won't say what your criteria is for an entry luxury sedan. You won't answer the question because you can't.
Yup, I've been asking the same to him. Still hearing crickets.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:35 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i think the pricing for the TLX just isnt supportable amongst the lineup yet. the whole shake up of TSX/TL has removed a lot of value from the table.

1. a v6 awd RDX is cheaper than a less functional TLX v6 awd
2. TLX is more inline with accord, and is now significantly more expensive
3. ILX brings little to the table, and it at a vast premium to civic
4. RLX interior is light years ahead than a loaded TLX, but only $10k more

i think my big take away from throroughly checking out the whole line up in person was that acura is desperately trying to inflate MSRPs on their non-sellers (sedans), and the value just isnt there like it used to be. they are desperately throwing marketing dollars to push support on the pricing. i was standing on the dealership floor, eyeing over the cars, and you could clearly cut through the B.S. of what was going on.

it was a big let down from what i used to know them by. i once favored acura as offering marginally less than the luxury competition, but at a significantly better value...and currently, their line-up just doesnt suggest that. they kept the same sauce, but are asking for more dollars. the equation is broken.
I don't see that at all but I guess it depends upon what you value and what "luxury" means to you. The RDX doesn't have: SHAWD, LED headlights (base models have halogen projectors!), ANY active safety tech (Not even Blind Spot) and it has the old version of the J35 (it still has the 6/4/3 and not just 6/3 VCM). There are any number of other smaller things you could point to that it doesn't have (acoustic glass, milano leather are two that come to mind). So the RDX, from a features standpoint, is WAY behind other Acura's and even most Honda's. If all you want is more functionality and utility then an SUV is basically always going to be a better purchase than an sedan.

As for value...the TLX is a luxury/premium/near luxury car, and usually when it comes to those kinds of cars there is usually very little value in terms of features for the money. But Acura seems to be bringing that in spades to the table with the TLX - according to Acura's "compare" tool a 320i, A4 FWD or ATS 2.5 would sticker at $38K compared to the base TLX $31K (and none of those vehicles can be equipped with LED headlights). The tech and Advance models pretty much hold that pricing gap compared to the Germans. I don't know if a $45K sedan can ever be considered a good value but it would seem like the TLX SHAWD will be just that.

The TLX pricing is absolutely comparable to the TSX and TL and isn't significantly more expensive than the old models were. From my perspective the TLX has reinforced the idea that Acura offers a bit less than the luxury competition but at a significantly better value because of the pricing and because of the features and performance offered. And they are seemingly selling well without the SHAWD model being available yet.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
Second of all, if Acura is cutting corners, then Audi and BMW are as well. Just in some other ways. The TLX interior may not be on par with the best of them in its segment but its price reflects that and you get some other stuff standard that other cars don't for a similar price. Some people are willing to go with less lux interior but more tech and then some. For some other people, it's the other way around. I'm not sure why some people are so stuck up to understand that.
To be competitive manufactures have to deliver a product that is either better, cheaper, or has the features that a particular buyer wants. You typically have to choose two of the three. Acura is competing on features and price, and the rest considered as good enough. The buyer that wants the best better be prepared to shell out some good money, and likely does not hang around in these forums.

As for features it is a leap frog race. This year Acura has ACC, CMBS, and RMD. The A4 and 328 do not have them, but they will soon have them plus XVZ while the TLX will be stuck with what it currently has for the next 4-5 years.

Quick Reply: Test drive some cars today...and a TLX V6...