Test drive some cars today...and a TLX V6...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Evidently you did not read what I wrote.....the TLX was in Advance trim, the top available at the moment.

Do I have an "agenda"?? Are you serious??

Let me clarify the "turd on wheels" comment....I used exactly the same expression before for the RLX by the way....

The TLX is not an ugly car....it's just a very ordinary, bland sedan....obviously this is my opinion so take it for what it is...every review is mostly an opinion by the way, even from top rated journalist....did you guys ever watch Top Gear??

The car lacks appeal, flair, visual drama.....nothing screams "I want to own this" there is no distinction....I have no brand allegiance whatsoever, I would buy anything that would fit my needs (in this case mostly my wife needs, it's her turn to buy a new car)
It is forgettable, anonymous.....and by the way this is exactly what my wife thinks too, after all she is the main buyer at this time.

We were not impressed at all...if this hurts some people feelings I'm sorry....it is funny how for some people if a review is glowing, aligned with their perspective it is reliable, if is negative, suddenly the review it's just a rant.

Did you see me contesting other people positive review of the TLX?? If the car fits your needs/wants, more power to you.

I had (we had) the feeling that even the salesman know it is an inferior product vs. the intended competition....his main selling point was price.....that the car was priced less than competition.

It is funny that we looked at the Genesis again (I test drove one before) and the salesman never focused on the price difference vs. the competition but rather on the car good qualities itself.
All i saw from your post are different sales tactics, thats all. The acura guy did not need to focus on quality because honda/acura has never lacked for this. The hyundai guy had to because the brand has a poor reputation. Its simply showcasing your product's biggest strengths. And if you think tlx's interior is inferior to other competitors, thats probably true, but then again ELS. Seriously, when you're inside the car, what do you prefer more? Soft-touch materials or killer sound? I know which one i prefer more
The following users liked this post:
07Acuradude (08-26-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by CARLOS10
If you read a Acura product review is a science by itself.It all deliverated and it surprise how a Honda/Acura fan behave like he is a ignorant about cars , even more how the market want to drive the customers. It amaze how EVERY review praise the Base 2.4 FWD and trash the V6 SHWAD , and all Acura fans get in a senseless debate.
Nobody cant compete with a 2.4 from Honda. Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes, Audi know it. And the chunk of his market are the V6s.If you can notice the TLX is so good that everybody
forget about the beak, the exposed exhaust, the rear drive etc.
Another one, no magazine has come up with a comparission test that include a TLX , no car car company want to provide his car Why ?.
We need to open our eyes an ears, this Saturno post is a classic nonsense post, that only a hater should feel happy about it.
To be fair Carlos - I don't think the car was made available to the car magazines until just recently - I suspect they're doing the comparison tests and we'll see them in print in a month or two.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
It seems that some people wants to hear only positive things...ok I bite...

It' quiet and the engine is rather strong after initial launch......nice folding seats feature. Assembly is perfect per Honda/Acura tradition.

To me, Acura just hopes the TLX is a sales saver for them because the sedan lineup has been tanking so hard. It is a place holder .
..and they set the bar so low in order to get some sales...they just hope to lure away mainstream midsize sedan buyers...they pretty much given up on the true luxury segment.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-25-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2007TL-TypeS
All i saw from your post are different sales tactics, thats all. The acura guy did not need to focus on quality because honda/acura has never lacked for this. The hyundai guy had to because the brand has a poor reputation. Its simply showcasing your product's biggest strengths. And if you think tlx's interior is inferior to other competitors, thats probably true, but then again ELS. Seriously, when you're inside the car, what do you prefer more? Soft-touch materials or killer sound? I know which one i prefer more
Other cars have premium sound system too...
Old 08-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned

When someone claims they have no agenda for reviewing when writing this, they do realize how ridiculous that sounds especially with the other planet quote?
You can think whatever you want...I did not like the TLX in picture, in presence has been confirmed and if you cannot see that the other cars I mentioned are not more appealing with their interiors what can I say??...Look at them back to back....
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Intermediate

Other cars have premium sound system too...
Which still are not as good as els. And this is not just my opinion
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Evidently you did not read what I wrote.....the TLX was in Advance trim, the top available at the moment.

Let me clarify the "turd on wheels" comment....I used exactly the same expression before for the RLX by the way....

The TLX is not an ugly car....it's just a very ordinary, bland sedan....obviously this is my opinion so take it for what it is...every review is mostly an opinion by the way, even from top rated journalist....did you guys ever watch Top Gear??

The car lacks appeal, flair, visual drama.....nothing screams "I want to own this" there is no distinction....I have no brand allegiance whatsoever, I would buy anything that would fit my needs (in this case mostly my wife needs, it's her turn to buy a new car)
It is forgettable, anonymous.....and by the way this is exactly what my wife thinks too, after all she is the main buyer at this time.

We were not impressed at all...if this hurts some people feelings I'm sorry....it is funny how for some people if a review is glowing, aligned with their perspective it is reliable, if is negative, suddenly the review it's just a rant.

Did you see me contesting other people positive review of the TLX?? If the car fits your needs/wants, more power to you.

I had (we had) the feeling that even the salesman know it is an inferior product vs. the intended competition....his main selling point was price.....that the car was priced less than competition.

It is funny that we looked at the Genesis again (I test drove one before) and the salesman never focused on the price difference vs. the competition but rather on the car good qualities itself.
first of all Acura tend never stand out in the looks department in its stock form. Honda is pretty conservative in that sense. Most Acura customers like it that way. The one time they deviated from that they created the 4G TL and ZDX, both failures when it came to sales volume. Even the 3G in its stock glory isnt really looker imho. Your 4G has more of "run f away from it" then a "i gotta have it" look. Dont get me wrong I'm a huge 4G fan and money aside if I had a choice Id trade my 3G straight for a 4G any day.

Now how about comparing the Base GS350 vs the TLX v6... wouldnt that be a closer comparison? does the base GS350 have that same "gotta have it" feel to you as the Fsport? to me it doesnt. how about to drop down a notch price level wise.. the ES350... i run the f away from the ES350 lol talk about boring. IS350, always thought those chick cars.

to me you went into the test drive with the wrong frame of mind. we are human a lot of us would do same. you already had your guard up and had unrealistic expectations comparing TLX to the Fsport. TLX is a fine car and will sell very very well. I think you're ready for the next step. $60k+ type vehicle, Acura didnt make the TLX to compete with those car plain and simple but to bash the TLX because it doesnt makes no sense to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nexx:
a35tl (08-25-2014), Acura_Dude (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To me the delay of comparissions test is , how to deal with this car ??.
Is the Genesis ready for a last place , or is a C class 15K better than a TLX ???
Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nexx
first of all Acura tend never stand out in the looks department in its stock form. Honda is pretty conservative in that sense. Most Acura customers like it that way. The one time they deviated from that they created the 4G TL and ZDX, both failures when it came to sales volume. Even the 3G in its stock glory isnt really looker imho. Your 4G has more of "run f away from it" then a "i gotta have it" look. Dont get me wrong I'm a huge 4G fan and money aside if I had a choice Id trade my 3G straight for a 4G any day.

Now how about comparing the Base GS350 vs the TLX v6... wouldnt that be a closer comparison? does the base GS350 have that same "gotta have it" feel to you as the Fsport? to me it doesnt. how about to drop down a notch price level wise.. the ES350... i run the f away from the ES350 lol talk about boring. IS350, always thought those chick cars.

to me you went into the test drive with the wrong frame of mind. we are human a lot of us would do same. you already had your guard up and had unrealistic expectations comparing TLX to the Fsport. TLX is a fine car and will sell very very well. I think you're ready for the next step. $60k+ type vehicle, Acura didnt make the TLX to compete with those car plain and simple but to bash the TLX because it doesnt makes no sense to me.

The GS is out of the picture in this discussion...we did look at it at a second time...the focus of my comparison was the Q50 and the Lexus IS.....I would never dream to compare a GS to a TLX.

The 3G was much more of a standout at its time than the TLX is now.....it was more original and appealing, obviously IMHO.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Banned

To me the delay of comparissions test is , how to deal with this car ??.
You right....the magazines are trying to figure out if it's more correct to pit the TLX against its real competiton, a mainstream midsize sedan like a Fusion or an Altima or a true entry level luxury sedan

Maybe a comparo with he Buick Regal and the Lincoln MKZ.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,069 Likes on 2,524 Posts
You can think whatever you want...I did not like the TLX in picture, in presence has been confirmed and if you cannot see that the other cars I mentioned are not more appealing with their interiors what can I say??...Look at them back to back....
Already did, TLX looked nice compared to other Acura sedans in the showroom including a 2G TSX.
There were a few 4G TL's outside, looked better to them too. It's a nice looking sport sedan.

When you use

...turd on wheels?? Is their head so much up their behind these days?? What are they smoking?? I'm sorry for the harsh language but my initial impression on the car has been definitely reinforced after driving it today....
you've already pre-biased your opinion and review as well.
a35tl (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I just personally feel that if you want to be taken remotely serious you could have used better choice in words. Calling a car a "turd on wheels" then later saying I don't think the TLX is ugly really just doesn't make any sense. My wife drives a 4G TL and I have to say I like features in both cars. I will agree that the 4G TL is a very solid car but your claims of the TLX not even being in the same league is really far off in my opinion. I have personally owned a few Acura's in my day (CL-S, RSX, TSX, TL) and truly don't understand how you can say this car is off the mark in so many areas.
The following 2 users liked this post by scooterb84:
a35tl (08-25-2014), rockyfeller (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reached the same conclusion as the OP after driving the v6 TLX. I think Acura did themselves a disservice by hyping up how quiet the car would be cause while it's quieter than the TL/TSX, it's probably just average..

Interior material is a step up from the TSX's cheesy painted plastics but a step down from the plushness of the TL for sure. the door lock/window switch buttons just look terrible.

Anyways this was going to be a replacement for our 2010 TL but I didn't like how the sales rep kept on harping on how much "cheaper" this car is compared to the other cars I was looking at. I can literally see why it's cheaper lol. Ended up getting a 528 xdrive. Yes it's a lot more expensive but we only live once folks... the TLX will sell well i'm sure but Acura really needs to rethink the RLX strategy for the TL folks who are moving up and not moving down...
Old 08-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
It seems that some people wants to hear only positive things...ok I bite...

It' quiet and the engine is rather strong after initial launch......nice folding seats feature. Assembly is perfect per Honda/Acura tradition.

..and they set the bar so low in order to get some sales...they just hope to lure away mainstream midsize sedan buyers...they pretty much given up on the true luxury segment.
Give the TLX some breathing room and try to remember that if the TLX isn't a hit there may not be an Acura brand anymore. They have to try to reach a larger audience. There were too few people like you (and me) who actually bought the damn thing. And I sold it because of road noise, rattles, and a 5 speed trans that produced horrible gas mileage. The point is that car manufacturers used to have about an 18% margin in the early 2000's. They now have about an 8% margin. That's a horrible margin. A company has to be so careful with costs, etc when it has a margin that small. So yes, there are compromises.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

+1
Old 08-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by phil17
I reached the same conclusion as the OP after driving the v6 TLX. I think Acura did themselves a disservice by hyping up how quiet the car would be cause while it's quieter than the TL/TSX, it's probably just average..

Interior material is a step up from the TSX's cheesy painted plastics but a step down from the plushness of the TL for sure. the door lock/window switch buttons just look terrible.

Anyways this was going to be a replacement for our 2010 TL but I didn't like how the sales rep kept on harping on how much "cheaper" this car is compared to the other cars I was looking at. I can literally see why it's cheaper lol. Ended up getting a 528 xdrive. Yes it's a lot more expensive but we only live once folks... the TLX will sell well i'm sure but Acura really needs to rethink the RLX strategy for the TL folks who are moving up and not moving down...
Wow, you went for a 528 xdrive, a good bit more expensive car, because the Acura salesman touted pricepoint too much? *shrug*

Did the BMW guy tell you that you "Only Live Once"? You could do so much better than a 528!

Last edited by Stew4HD; 08-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
a35tl (08-25-2014), Acura_Dude (08-25-2014), dysonlu (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
You right....the magazines are trying to figure out if it's more correct to pit the TLX against its real competiton, a mainstream midsize sedan like a Fusion or an Altima or a true entry level luxury sedan

Well - to be fair again - the new Buick's are pretty nice and that might be a fair comparison, yes. At least they look nice - I haven't driven one.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Wow, you went for a 528 xdrive, a good bit more expensive car, because the Acura salesman touted pricepoint too much? *shrug*

Did the BMW guy tell you that you "Only Live Once"? You could do so much better than a 528!

From a 4G owner perspective IMHO make more sense moving to a 5 Series than a TLX.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
yeah I know it's 2 totally diff class of cars, I was using the perspective of a TL owner who maybe looking to move up. The TLX wouldn't cut it (plus it's actually cheaper than the TL it replaces in both price and detail execution) and neither would the RLX.

TLX has a market though. it's quieter than a 3 series, has more tech than cars costing $10K more but it certainly doesn't feel "premium". I think the car will do well to capture TSX drivers and new clients. Acura just doesn't have products to "keep" these clients at later stages of their lives. but maybe they don't care for that and would prefer to stay as an "in between" brand which could serve them well as well...
Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Ohhh you are so predictable Saturno. Its the same scrip that the Acura competition is Buick and Lincoln. and the Genesis and Kia 9000 are Mercedes,
Audi and BMW. You are so keen.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

you've already pre-biased your opinion and review as well.
No pre-bias at all....just trying to figure out what this car should compete with....because if the target is true entry level luxury sedan they are way off the mark.

Who they are benchmarking for the TLX??
Old 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CARLOS10
Ohhh you are so predictable Saturno. Its the same scrip that the Acura competition is Buick and Lincoln. and the Genesis and Kia 9000 are Mercedes,
Audi and BMW. You are so keen.
Sorry to break it to you but today Acura competiton is Buick and Lincoln.

You forget and I actually drive an Acura ...but simply, I do not have an emotional attachment to any car brand...I say it the way I see it.

Sit or better yet, test drive a Geneis a or in a K900 and report back.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

No pre-bias at all....just trying to figure out what this car should compete with....because if the target is true entry level luxury sedan they are way off the mark.

What version of the tlx are you using for this statement? If a 30k car, which is what the base i4's price, is not entry level, then please do tell what the price should be then?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

What's your criteria for an entry level luxury sedan?

What makes a FWD A4 an entry level luxury sedan.
No leather
crappy stereo
4 cylinder

what about a bmw 320i or base 328i
no leather
crappy stereo
4 cylinder

what about the ATS?
same thing

just what makes an entry level luxury car?
Old 08-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Old 08-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
This is when someone says something bad (I think it's with some truth and just personal/straight forward opinions) about Acura ...

Where is my popcorn???

Here it is
Old 08-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2007TL-TypeS
What version of the tlx are you using for this statement? If a 30k car, which is what the base i4's price, is not entry level, then please do tell what the price should be then?
I believe that the TLX I tested retails at over 43K.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smoooov
What's your criteria for an entry level luxury sedan?

What makes a FWD A4 an entry level luxury sedan.
No leather
crappy stereo
4 cylinder

what about a bmw 320i or base 328i
no leather
crappy stereo
4 cylinder

what about the ATS?
same thing

just what makes an entry level luxury car?

These are bare boned stripper trims, I did not try a stripper TLX.

Even a stripper 3 Series, has overall a better feel to me than the TLX I tested....people comparing it to a 328i should actually drive a 328i and report back

I would never buy a 328i but I take it over a TLX...sorry.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I believe that the TLX I tested retails at over 43K.
Ima going out on a limb here and say you aren't going to but a TLX

Obviously most peoiple here took exception to teh "turd on wheels" line more than anything.

I was not sure I'd like the car until I saw it in person.. I liked it at the first sight and don't see the "cheap" stuff you mentioned. There was plenty of "cheap " things I found in the F-Sport, starting with the dash trim.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
These are bare boned stripper trims, I did not try a stripper TLX.

Even a stripper 3 Series, has overall a better feel to me than the TLX I tested....people comparing it to a 328i should actually drive a 328i and report back

I would never buy a 328i but I take it over a TLX...sorry.
So these "bare boned stripper trims", are they entry level luxury sedans or not? That's the question you didn't answer.

You're not the only one who has driven an 328i. Many did and have found some aspects of the TLX better and some other aspects worse. But no one said both cars are in totally different leagues, which is something you seem to claim.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,926 Likes on 14,464 Posts
I personally don't get offended by the opinion of someone that isn't me.
The following 2 users liked this post by rockstar143:
Acura_Dude (08-25-2014), randomRon82 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 02:23 PM

For the record, I plan to swing by a TLX emblem and slap it onto my 3G. That alone will make my car feel relevant again, at a fraction of the cost.
Acura_Dude (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
So these "bare boned stripper trims", are they entry level luxury sedans or not? That's the question you didn't answer.

You're not the only one who has driven an 328i. Many did and have found some aspects of the TLX better and some other aspects worse. But no one said both cars are in totally different leagues, which is something you seem to claim.
I think they are. And to be fair, the base TLX comes with Leatherette, I think.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
I think they are. And to be fair, the base TLX comes with Leatherette, I think.
So are Audi and BMW way off the mark too or is Acura on target after all?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:32 PM

For what you get for $43K (sticker, right...eventually you'll be able to get these for mid 30's)...I think Acura is spot on.

I'm telling you guys, OP already decided that Acura is a POS that he'd never re-buy way before he wrote that review or even test drove the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by rockstar143:
07Acuradude (08-26-2014), a35tl (08-25-2014), Stew4HD (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I personally don't get offended by the opinion of someone that isn't me.
You make it sound like your own opinions offend you, hehe.
rockstar143 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM

That was the point! hahah...what I was getting at is that I don't get pissed off by what other people think of something, only care what i think of it.

I mean, the guy and his wife are entitled to think all Acura's are turds on wheels...doubt it'll sway anyone from buying one AND in addition, how many threads do we see where people go out saying "Fk Acura" and go buy and have troubles with other brands and then have a "been gone for a while, but back with Acura" thread. LOL...

Been here long enough to have seen that a few times. As they say...The Evil you Know...
The following 4 users liked this post by rockstar143:
a35tl (08-25-2014), Acura_Dude (08-25-2014), dysonlu (08-25-2014), scooterb84 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Instructor

I wonder if BMW or Mercedes belive That the TLX isnt is competition.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockstar143
For what you get for $43K (sticker, right...eventually you'll be able to get these for mid 30's)...I think Acura is spot on.

I'm telling you guys, OP already decided that Acura is a POS that he'd never re-buy way before he wrote that review or even test drove the car.
You are putting words in my mouth...I never said the car is a POS...I just said it cannot compete with real entry level luxury sedan, especially at the moment without SH-AWD trim available.

Quick Reply: Test drive some cars today...and a TLX V6...