Ken1997tl's TLX (V6 FWD) Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Ken1997tl's TLX (V6 FWD) Review

This morning I drove the TLX V6 with technology package.

Background: I've owned numerous Hondas and Acuras, including 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation TLs, an '02 RL and a TSX wagon and my wife has a '13 MDX. I currently drive a '13 Accord (I-4 EX-L Navi) and a '06 S2000.

First impressions: I really like the lines on this car. Sporty, luxurious yet clearly an Acura. Nothing negative stood out at all. The overhangs are noticeably reduced vs. the 4th gen TL. A good thing in my opinion.

Seating: The seats were comfortable and fit me perfectly. The leather felt high quality. Soft yet it felt durable. More like the RLX and less like the TSX. Bolstering was ok. It could be better but for the intended purpose and market, I think it was fine.

Visibility was excellent, only slightly 'worse' than my '13 Accord's. I DO miss the Lanewatch system which has a camera in the passenger mirror and alo features a preview feature on the control stalk, very useful for double-checking without using a turn signal. Very short-sighted on Acura's part for not including this feature. P.S. the new Fit and Civic models with navigation feature it as well. No excuses!

The Drive: I quickly figured out the push-button shifting system. Seems like most buyers will quickly learn it. My hand however occasionally missed resting on what would be a shifter in any other car.

The engine was virtually silent in a parking lot. Only a slight rumble during start up. I engaged sport mode in the IDS and took off. The front overhangs being short meant I didn't have to worry with my take off on a slight downhill exit at the dealership. The engine was very smooth, responsive with immediate torque and smooth shifts. They were quick shifts, didn't feel any lag like some magazine reviews mentioned. Paddle shifting was quicker than any other Acura I've driven, not immediate but close. I'd definitely use them for hills.

Suspension soaked up the worst broken pavement I could find without ANY drama. No 'clunking' or crashing. Refinement was the word that kept coming to mind as I took corners. Very little lean, understeer was minimal and the PAWS system made the car feel light yet planted. Well done on Acura's part. If the TLX 4 cylinder and SH-AWD models are what the magazines claim to be (even better) then I am sold on it.

The road noise is tremendously better than past Acuras on the same stretches of roads I've been on. I did not drive fast enough to hear wind noise at all. No rattles either!

Gadgets:
I did not get a chance to try out the stereo at all, though I suspect it'll be similar to the RLX (non Krell, Tech) which is excellent.

The navigation's voice recognition seemed to work 'better' in the TLX than in my Accord. My Accord repeatedly hears completely different things than what I'm saying and I generally find it to be useless. And like the Accord, the TLX and other new Acura systems do NOT allow you to do much via control knob once the car is in motion. Voice controls are a nice extra but I find it to be far too cumbersome and distracting for most tasks. Honestly, Honda needs to just scrap the entire system and either get Google to do it or go back to allowing drivers to use the controls while it's in motion.

Looking forward to trying other TLX trims in the near future. At this point I'm thinking I'll get a white/ebony technology package. Just need to try the 4 cylinder and SH-AWD before making that decision.

Feel free to ask questions!
The following 23 users liked this post by Ken1997TL:
a35tl (08-13-2014), Acura_Dude (08-13-2014), Acura_Girl_Forever (08-13-2014), BookemDanole (08-13-2014), Colin (08-13-2014), crazyasiantl (08-13-2014), damaged442 (08-15-2014), dom (08-13-2014), ggesq (08-13-2014), internalaudit (08-13-2014), iutodd (08-13-2014), Legend2TL (08-13-2014), madrussian190 (08-14-2014), Nedmundo (08-15-2014), neuronbob (08-13-2014), ostrich (08-13-2014), Oswald Vater (08-14-2014), pdpgps (08-14-2014), Rocketsfan (08-13-2014), Rocket_man (08-14-2014), Stew4HD (08-13-2014), TampaRLX-SH (08-14-2014), TSXV6Guy (08-15-2014) and 18 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:05 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
I feel like LaneWatch is a take it or leave it proposition for most people. I've read reviews where people HATE it and you obviously like it. BSI seems, from my perspective, to be a more accepted form of blind spot monitoring for everyone. It will be interesting though, as Acura is trying to get people to move up from an Accord to an Acura so that could be an issue for some folks.

It is interesting though because Acura is bundling it in Tech Packages so you end up with a $42K MDX that doesn't have any blind spot monitoring and a $19K Fit that does. Again, as comes up a lot and IIRC, hardly any luxury car comes standard with BSI so it's not like Acura is totally cheaping out on people. I've read that BSI is expensive. Maybe base Acura's should come with LaneWatch and then Tech and above get BSI? Maybe Acura should just raise prices by $500 all around and put it on base models? I don't think there is an easy answer to that.
The following 3 users liked this post by iutodd:
a35tl (08-13-2014), internalaudit (08-13-2014), Ken1997TL (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

I think Lanewatch should be standard and 'deactivate-able' via a button on the dash, just like Lanekeeping and other nannies. Personally, I use the preview feature a lot so I can keep tabs on people, especially cyclists.
The following users liked this post:
rockyfeller (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I have LDW (Lane Departure Warning) on my Accord, I turned it off first thing. We can't use turn signals here in Houston traffic, the other drivers will know your intentions and block you! j/k
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
Healingduck (08-14-2014), MTEAZY (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

I turned it off too first thing. Anytime the painted lines on the lane are off (and they are on any road under construction) the alert squawked, making me feel like a bad driver.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I get the FCW alert more than I like.. making me know I am getting too close. I don't mind that feature at all.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I have LDW (Lane Departure Warning) on my Accord, I turned it off first thing. We can't use turn signals here in Houston traffic, the other drivers will know your intentions and block you! j/k
Hahaha so true ... what's wrong with Houston drivers by the way? I almost bought a Prius last year just to not deal with that kind of drivers any more since I would be driving a super slow car
Old 08-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Hahaha so true ... what's wrong with Houston drivers by the way? I almost bought a Prius last year just to not deal with that kind of drivers any more since I would be driving a super slow car
What's funny is that when my friends from the LA area come to visit and I take them anywhere, they are scared because we will all be going 75 mph and zipping in and out, which I find a normal now. That is why I miss the BSI.. .no light on? Change lanes! lol
Old 08-13-2014, 05:48 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
What's funny is that when my friends from the LA area come to visit and I take them anywhere, they are scared because we will all be going 75 mph and zipping in and out, which I find a normal now. That is why I miss the BSI.. .no light on? Change lanes! lol
This is true. I took a visit out to Houston a few years ago to visit a friend and wouldn't drive her car ANY where, even though she's a scary driver herself. So that says something.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
lanewatch is great. I always laugh at reviewers who say it's confusing or unnecessary. If you have used it on a regular basis you'll realize how awesome it is for merging into the right lane and checking for pedestrians, bikes, etc. on right turns.

To actually see your blind spot is superior than just the blind sport indicator which may or may not even detect a smaller object like a bike or person.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thank you, Ken. I'm waiting for the SH-AWD version to test drive.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
My dealer just called me to invite me to a "TLX Launch Party."

Hopefully the I4 is there, as I'd love to get a closer look at one. It may be my next car after the new model year unless someone else ups the ante.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:18 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
LaneWatch is even available on the Civic! Sad it isn't available on the TLX if they were going to bundle so many other things already. Makes no sense.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
LaneWatch is even available on the Civic! Sad it isn't available on the TLX if they were going to bundle so many other things already. Makes no sense.
Maybe in the MMC? Unless they do a total makeover and remove the shield/beak for the 2016 model like they did for the 2013 Civic.

Actually, come to think of it, I don't care much for the LaneWatch but would love the Blind Spot Monitoring though viewing from a 4-door sedan compared to my wife's 11 Accord coupe should be comparing night and day. I don't mind people crossing the line unintentionally as long as there are no cars around them.

Last edited by internalaudit; 08-13-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
While there has been no official statement from H/A, it seems like LaneWatch is a Honda feature and BSI is for Acura (and maybe Touring models of Honda).
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Team Mazcura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice review! I agree with you, lane watch should be there.

I wonder which configuration will sell better...hmmm...
Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts
I actually prefer the blind spot monitor system on the TLX more that the lane watch from the accord --since it is on both side and it actually beep
Old 08-14-2014, 01:52 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
In my short test drive I got a BSI warning while merging onto the highway. I thought it worked quite well. I test drove an Accord with the Lanewatch and liked that too but I thought it should be on both sides. I did think they could have done a better job integrating the camera into the side mirror.

I'm looking forward to the day when both side mirrors are replaced by cameras with displays in the dash, then a driver doesn't need to take their eyes off the road ahead to see their blind spots.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 AM
Suzuka Master

I find it a bit strange to look at the screen in the Accord to know what's on the right side of the car versus looking to the right, if even to see the BSI. Also, you have to have the turn signal on to see it where the BSI is always displaying that info.. but that is just me
Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 AM
Senior Moderator

I find it a bit strange to look at the screen in the Accord to know what's on the right side of the car versus looking to the right, if even to see the BSI. Also, you have to have the turn signal on to see it where the BSI is always displaying that info.. but that is just me
No, there is a button on the tip of the turn signal lever, so you can view the right hand lane without using your turn signal indicators

Like i said, very handy on a busy road that has cyclists.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
While there has been no official statement from H/A, it seems like LaneWatch is a Honda feature and BSI is for Acura (and maybe Touring models of Honda).
That seems backwards to me. BSI seems like older tech. I'd prefer Acura had cameras in BOTH side mirrors. It would also replace mirror tilt down when reversing. I believe replacing side view mirrors with cameras is on the horizon awaiting NHTSA approval. Perhaps then Acura will leap frog from BSI.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
Ken1997TL (08-14-2014), rockyfeller (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Hoping to drive a 2.4 tech very soon...

Stay tuned!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
No, there is a button on the tip of the turn signal lever, so you can view the right hand lane without using your turn signal indicators

Like i said, very handy on a busy road that has cyclists.
Thanks for the tip.

Here in Houston, at least where I live, there are very few cyclists unlike other areas of the country. The weather here is not the most conducive for cyclist other than those that ride the highways.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:37 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
That seems backwards to me. BSI seems like older tech. I'd prefer Acura had cameras in BOTH side mirrors. It would also replace mirror tilt down when reversing. I believe replacing side view mirrors with cameras is on the horizon awaiting NHTSA approval. Perhaps then Acura will leap frog from BSI.
Yep it does indeed seem like LaneWatch is just for Honda yet that seems totally counter intuitive. BSI-like tech is everywhere but an actual camera is pretty rare in the industry. I am surprised that Honda/Acura hardly promotes/talks about it. There are other cameras available on the front/rear bumpers to check cross traffic. Gimmicky to most people but I LOVE those too. Acura should have had one of these systems, if not on the TLX, at least on the RLX.

I have driven many cars with the blind spot warning. It helps but I find it less useful than an actual camera. I want to know exactly where the other cars/objects are. Nearly all accidents I have been involved in came from vehicles that hit me from behind so I am pretty paranoid about that. I use my mirrors constantly. I have no idea how people can swiftly change lanes without even looking back to check their blind spot!

I know some people are saying they aren't crazy about LaneWatch. That's why I'm saying it shouldn't be a standard feature that will jack up the base price. It should be an option for those who want it, I'd gladly pay extra for it. Admittedly I haven't driven a car with LaneWatch for myself, I need to do that. Maybe I would see the pros and cons, but I imagine I would love them. I wouldn't be using them with the turn signals as much as I would be using them on command with the signal stalk, that wouldn't work around NYC, people will box you right out once they see your signals on. And it should be on BOTH mirrors indeed. The blind spot is smaller on the driver's side but it is still there. Maybe it's less important than having the camera on the other side but could definitely be used in highway situations.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 08-15-2014 at 09:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TampaRLX-SH (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
^^^

I think surround view cameras are very valuable. They are not offered on just luxury brands, Nissan offers them on models such as the Rogue.

I would tend to ignore a simple indicator light and if possible would likely disable an audible alarm. I personally find many passive safety alerts more distracting as my natural reaction is 'why is the car doing that'? That distracts me and take more time to discern the issue than just remaining alert in my driving.

That said, a picture offers much more information without having to be interpreted. You process that information faster. So rather than some bloody beeping dinging or flashing trying to tell me something is amiss, I can SEE what the issue is.

Surround cameras can offer much more value than a simple radar detection alert. As mentioned above it would supplant tilt down mirrors when reversing. When pulling out of a parking space (say the grocery market where soccer moms are updating facebook on the smart phone while their toddlers scramble like cats) a surround view pops up as you pull from your space. Obvious benefits from front and rear side views as we all know how people shave off your bumper as you reverse from a space with a suburban parked next to you.

And soon, with minor tech your car could capture a side swipe or rear end collision, even a driver reversing into you. They may also capture the elusive tree that jumps into the road or the mailbox that lays in wait to attack teenagers. Radar proximity sensors would trigger cameras to activate an hard drive captures any incident. Less litigation or he said, she said and less expectations that adults would ever return to a culture of personal responsibility.

A bit over the top and I am not a Big Brother culture fan....but I used to believe 10 in 100 drivers were poor drivers. Now I think 90 in 100 drivers are reckless assholes and hope Darwinism gets to them before I snap.