First Press Release of 2018 TLX MMC

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
So according to Acura the A-Spec is between tech and advance. What options would the A-Spec loose vs. Advance?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Im guessing the Advance would have ventilated seats, upgraded leather and real wood in the interior, surround view cameras, parking sensors, auto dimming mirrors, etc.

A-Spec will prob just be a Tech but have the different front and rear, suspension, wheels and tires, alcantera or red interior.

They still could be basically the same price though.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:36 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
I thought f-sport uses different transmission also (6AT)..i wish Acura put 6AT + 310 hp engine of RLX in A-spec...
I own a Lexus NX 200t F Sport. The F Sport is a "sports" package that is mostly cosmetic and some suspension tweaks. Lexus' "performance" package is called just "F"... as in Lexus RC F or GS F.

So the A-spec is a "sports" package. The performance package that would have upgraded engine, drivetrain, etc would be the Type-S. Assuming that is what Acura will call it if they ever do a performance package for the TLX.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
I own a Lexus NX 200t F Sport. The F Sport is a "sports" package that is mostly cosmetic and some suspension tweaks. Lexus' "performance" package is called just "F"... as in Lexus RC F or GS F.

So the A-spec is a "sports" package. The performance package that would have upgraded engine, drivetrain, etc would be the Type-S. Assuming that is what Acura will call it if they ever do a performance package for the TLX.
This is probably the best way to describe it. A Type-S model would have performance upgrades.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr

i thought fsport uses 6AT which is different from other models.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is the first on road review that I've seen:
Old 04-21-2017, 03:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket_pup
This is the first on road review that I've seen: https://youtu.be/_BnQBkOj0cs
The reviewer in the video noted a driving impressions/review embargo that ends May 18th. Looks like we'll have to wait until then to see how the A-spec suspension rides and if Acura made any additional minor tweaks.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
That is not unusual that packages are mixed & can be stacked. BMW M-Sport is mostly cosmetic with an improved suspension, wheels & tires. Extra trim items. Next up is the Track handling package that has the real time suspension, different wheels, better tires than M-Sport, variable steering & M-Sport brakes. Last up the line is the MPPK the M-Performance Pack which moves power up to 355BHP & 370FT LBS with a full sport exhaust system to back up the tune with a tone.

For the TLX A-Spec it should be expected to handle well since the old one did. If it turns out to be a real time system you will get a full comfort ride or a nice Sport ride with a button push. With this approach they can carry both an A-Spec & a S-Type with a better engine as an upgrade.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 04-21-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 363 Posts
I'd feel a lot better about this review if the tester could get the displacement of the car correct -- "3.0 liter V6." Sheesh. Is it that hard?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts
Originally Posted by reddogTL
Blah. A-Spec package isn't good enough. Needed a powertrain upgrade. Not even getting the new 10 spd for 2018 while Honda's MINIVAN is getting it. Seriously WTF Acura!

Powertrain update will come, just not in this iteration. It's pretty clear from the talk of acura reps its on the way. A lot of good changes on the MMC overall.

I see a Q50 Red Sport 400HP in my future.
Not a bad choice, the MPG is crap but you will get your HP bump.

Originally Posted by Nexx
Type-S is coming. they just needed some time to sort out the drive train. They want to make the Type-S "substantial". please be patient. RLX was shoved down Acura's throat by Honda.
Could not agree more. It's coming but not anytime soon. If its a hybrid that to me will be a major non-event. Any Type S I pray will be gasoline powered only. For me if I want a hybrid I buy a toyota prius.

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
^^ Nothing that people cried for (maybe exhaust). Actually very minor stuff that could have easily been done in the past 3 years. Very bad publicity, especially after all the marketing for the meeting. It seriously screams cheap and lazy at Acura execs and even designers since it's ugly. Now that I think about it, incompetence comes to mind too. "What a ride"... not really when most is cosmetics done either badly or very late in the game.
The body and suspension upgrades are nice, never will they please everyone but going in the right direction. Heck, nobody has really seen how the 19" tires and Aspec suspension drives at this point. I have to think it will be an upgrade.

Originally Posted by steve_97060
there are a few who wouldn't be happy no matter how much it changed.
Agree 100 %

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Anyone else surprised by the fact the A Spec with the V6 does not have a floor shifter? Given that it's available with the 4, how hard could that have been. I will say it's a slight move in the right direction, and they do have a sport suspension now. And the red interior looks really nice. I wonder what color exteriors the red interior will be offered with. While white is the obvious choice, I don't think that is the best color for the car. It seems to make the grill/headlight issue look worse. I'd like to see a dark gray/red combination.
Would like them to offer the "full" leather in black and preferably in the espresso which is the (imo) nicest color they have. Not a fan of the black leather with inserts.

Originally Posted by scooterb84
I'm sold. I have a '15 TLX now and love the new look of the A-Spec. Now I just have to wait until June.....
Right on. I agree with you.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut

I think the redesigned front end looks great from this angle! In fact I (still) like the looks of the car - conservative and a bit sedate but very nice.

Clearly Acura doesn't think the car is as "broken" as a handful of AZ enthusiasts do WRT the current performance capabilities.

Making AcuraWatch standard across all models is very nice. The upgraded infotainment (need to see it before passing judgement) is something MANY people here have been asking for. Of course the exposed exhaust tips is a big deal for some. New seats on the V6 (they look nice) - Surround View Camera system (not entirely sure how that works but it sounds cool), built-in wireless charging pad, white LED ambient light piping in 10 locations throughout the cabin, a heated steering wheel and heated rear outboard seats. I'd say the focus for them was on technology and making refinements which is the norm for most MMC's.

Frankly I would have been tempted to get the V6 for some of those features - it sounds like they are working on differentiating the two models a bit more. Granted it's not enough to make me want to trade my 15 in, but I think it's all a move in the right direction for the car.

Now the debate for the 2nd Gen TLX can begin in earnest!
I think the MMC actually addressed the interior and tech issues that people had here. I wouldn't trade in my 15 either (still haven't even hit 20k on it yet) but I'm eager to see what the Type S is going to be all about.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
So looking at the target demo not us enthusiasts, the changes will help a bit, but how do you not bring in a Type-S? Every other brand and model has a sporty version, A Spec is not enough. The FMC will have to be huge step up, they need Precision cockpit, the 10 speed and a real Type-S. if they would stop being distracted by the RLX and focus on the TLX FMC and make it a tad bigger, offer a real Type-S with say 320+ HP, real sport suspension, brakes and looks with some better sporty seats, etc. they may actually be able to make some serious impact.
I agree on the making it a bit bigger. This is what the TLX should have looked like from the beginning although, its more of a TSX than a TL in my opinion. The rear is very similar.
Attached Thumbnails First Press Release of 2018 TLX MMC-07-2018-acura-tsx-spec-ny-1.jpeg   First Press Release of 2018 TLX MMC-tsx.jpeg  
Old 04-30-2017, 09:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,583 Likes on 953 Posts
We all know that Acura screwed up and lost focus in the past 10 years. Very unfortunate that they didn't realize their mistake earlier. BUT the good news is that Acura admits their mistake and trying to fix it. Let's be honest, it's a car manufacturing and not socks, so it will take sometime before they are back on track...realistically it might take 2-3 years. My observations:

- MDX new powertrain and look. It's getting noticed and reviewers are praising the Hybrid version.
-TLX A-Spec and pretty significant exterior and minor interior changes.
-TLX will be a game changer in 2 years with full redesign (mark my word).
-RDX is due for a redesign and I am sure they will improve the interior and exterior design. Most likely new powertrain will be offered.
-NSX is the state of art technology and those who criticize NSX, i think they do not know about cars.
-They might bring CDX to NA (hope so)

Issues: ILX and RLX - Acura needs to find a way to correct these two vehicles to make them competitive in the market and worth the price.

I am positive guys....for sure Acura won't be able to please all of us but it's important to keep the loyal customers happy
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:30 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Okay, I'll admit it: The front of the car is growing on my big time. The rear needs major attention as it looks like it belongs on a Toyota, but the front looks a lot better than I thought it would look in real life.

Also, an enormous improvement over the beak
Old 05-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I agree about the front looking good. I finally saw a couple of redesigned MDX's and they looked sharp.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:40 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by wlkeel
I agree about the front looking good. I finally saw a couple of redesigned MDX's and they looked sharp.
I think in the context of a large SUV, the MDX still looks kind of funny. That front is an improvement in my mind, but the body just doesn't look like it fits the front. Of course, that makes sense seeing as the grille was slapped on the previous model. The upcoming redesigns will be critical for Acura.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by carftopher
The reviewer in the video noted a driving impressions/review embargo that ends May 18th. Looks like we'll have to wait until then to see how the A-spec suspension rides and if Acura made any additional minor tweaks.
I wonder if this guy ever drove the 2.4. Me thinks he is a fan of displacement over performance. 2.4 handles so much more nimble and feels quicker.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^
Well....Acura smartly makes different TLXs for different folks. The 2.4 is lighter and is bound to feel quicker. The V6, especially with SH-AWD, is heavier....but the SH-AWD adds to the handling prowess.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Okay, I'll admit it: The front of the car is growing on my big time. The rear needs major attention as it looks like it belongs on a Toyota, but the front looks a lot better than I thought it would look in real life.

Also, an enormous improvement over the beak
lol I really dig the rear....I thought it has some Audi-ness in it
Old 05-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by iforyou
lol I really dig the rear....I thought it has some Audi-ness in it
There's just a little too much economy car in it for me (some of the rounded bubbly look). I guess I don't care a ton overall (I don't even have the LEDs on my A4 in front), but there's just something I don't like and I can't entirely put my finger on it.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:04 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
haha yaaa...styling is really subjective so it's totally understandable.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I really like the new grill and think that it's one of the nicer and more unique ones out there. I know the front part of the headlight doesn't match up to the bottom grill line, as some have criticized, , but who says it has to? There are lots of manufacturers where this is the case. Eventually, I suspect they will redesign the headlights similar to the MDX , but time will tell.