AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   5G TLX (2015-2020) (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/)
-   -   First Press Release of 2018 TLX MMC (https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-2015-2020-415/first-press-release-2018-tlx-mmc-956969/)

E90 Skye 04-11-2017 02:09 PM

First Press Release of 2018 TLX MMC

http://www.themanual.com/auto/2018-a...edan-debut/#/2

First ones I've found online so far... weirdly from The Manual online. (contrary to it's name, it's not an auto enthusiast outlet and actually just a general men's interest publication)

E90 Skye 04-11-2017 02:10 PM

looks like, carplay/android auto, and acura watch are all standard across trim lines. and the A-Spec looks pretty good in these press photos. Waiting for more outlets to show actual shots from the NYIAS.

reddogTL 04-11-2017 05:16 PM

Blah. A-Spec package isn't good enough. Needed a powertrain upgrade. Not even getting the new 10 spd for 2018 while Honda's MINIVAN is getting it. Seriously WTF Acura!

I see a Q50 Red Sport 400HP in my future.

KeithL 04-11-2017 07:18 PM

So looking at the target demo not us enthusiasts, the changes will help a bit, but how do you not bring in a Type-S? Every other brand and model has a sporty version, A Spec is not enough. The FMC will have to be huge step up, they need Precision cockpit, the 10 speed and a real Type-S. if they would stop being distracted by the RLX and focus on the TLX FMC and make it a tad bigger, offer a real Type-S with say 320+ HP, real sport suspension, brakes and looks with some better sporty seats, etc. they may actually be able to make some serious impact.

Nexx 04-11-2017 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by KeithL (Post 15996751)
So looking at the target demo not us enthusiasts, the changes will help a bit, but how do you not bring in a Type-S? Every other brand and model has a sporty version, A Spec is not enough. The FMC will have to be huge step up, they need Precision cockpit, the 10 speed and a real Type-S. if they would stop being distracted by the RLX and focus on the TLX FMC and make it a tad bigger, offer a real Type-S with say 320+ HP, real sport suspension, brakes and looks with some better sporty seats, etc. they may actually be able to make some serious impact.

Type-S is coming. they just needed some time to sort out the drive train. They want to make the Type-S "substantial". please be patient. RLX was shoved down Acura's throat by Honda.

alpha0 04-11-2017 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nexx (Post 15996756)
Type-S is coming. they just needed some time to sort out the drive train. They want to make the Type-S "substantial". please be patient. RLX was shoved down Acura's throat by Honda.

Nexx - I remember you updated about A-spec some time last year and most of that came true today. You said Type-S may come in 2018 with significant power upgrade. Recently i read that Type S may come with FMC (so 2 to 3 years away). Do you have any more insight on timeline?

dmski 04-11-2017 08:12 PM

@Nexx. Yes, please provide some insight on the Type S. Are we talking 2 years from now with FMC?

yooin14 04-11-2017 08:28 PM

Well guys, there are quite a lot of tweaks and upgraded in 2018 TLX compared to 2017.

This is for a spec package alone.
An exclusive front fascia, round LED fog lights, aggressive side sills, rear diffuser accented by large, round dual-exhaust finishers and gloss black decklid spoiler creates an even bolder character. Exclusive, dark finish 19-inch wheels paired with wide 245-series tires complement a sport-tuned suspension with more aggressive damper settings and retuned electric power steering for a sharper, more precise handling experience. Gloss black trim and A-Spec badging on the rear decklid, fenders, side sill garnish and steering wheel completes the look.

On the inside, a host of sport-oriented refinements and premium features include exclusive leather seats with increased bolstering, red driver’s meter highlights, brushed aluminum-look interior trim, and a thick-rimmed sport steering wheel. Two A-Spec exclusive interior color choices are offered: Red leather or Black leather with Alcantara™ seat and door inserts. Premium enhancements borrowed from the top trim Advance Package include wireless charging pad, ventilated front seats and red LED ambient light piping (white on the Advance Package).

pyrodan007 04-11-2017 08:33 PM

^^ Nothing that people cried for (maybe exhaust). Actually very minor stuff that could have easily been done in the past 3 years. Very bad publicity, especially after all the marketing for the meeting. It seriously screams cheap and lazy at Acura execs and even designers since it's ugly. Now that I think about it, incompetence comes to mind too. "What a ride"... not really when most is cosmetics done either badly or very late in the game.

steve_97060 04-11-2017 11:33 PM

there are a few who wouldn't be happy no matter how much it changed.

mapleloaf 04-12-2017 12:10 AM

Looks to me like there is a lot there, improved infotainment, exhaust tips (for those who must have them), considerable content with the A Spec package as outlined above by yooin14, changes to the exterior, etc. I did like the pictures from the NY show of the new front end with the red and white exterior colours, but as I have said before, I need to see in person. I also favour the exhaust tips that would appear to be for the non A-Spec models, judging by the pic on the Canadian Acura site. As for a Type S enthusiasts who want more horsepower, I guess you are either waiting two years or moving on. If you do intend to move on, perhaps posting continually regarding your impending breakup with Acura becomes redundant?

jjsC5 04-12-2017 05:51 AM

Anyone else surprised by the fact the A Spec with the V6 does not have a floor shifter? Given that it's available with the 4, how hard could that have been. I will say it's a slight move in the right direction, and they do have a sport suspension now. And the red interior looks really nice. I wonder what color exteriors the red interior will be offered with. While white is the obvious choice, I don't think that is the best color for the car. It seems to make the grill/headlight issue look worse. I'd like to see a dark gray/red combination.

CheeseyPoofs McNut 04-12-2017 05:54 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d0a0f6ba81.jpg
I think the redesigned front end looks great from this angle! In fact I (still) like the looks of the car - conservative and a bit sedate but very nice.

Clearly Acura doesn't think the car is as "broken" as a handful of AZ enthusiasts do WRT the current performance capabilities.

Making AcuraWatch standard across all models is very nice. The upgraded infotainment (need to see it before passing judgement) is something MANY people here have been asking for. Of course the exposed exhaust tips is a big deal for some. New seats on the V6 (they look nice) - Surround View Camera system (not entirely sure how that works but it sounds cool), built-in wireless charging pad, white LED ambient light piping in 10 locations throughout the cabin, a heated steering wheel and heated rear outboard seats. I'd say the focus for them was on technology and making refinements which is the norm for most MMC's.

Frankly I would have been tempted to get the V6 for some of those features - it sounds like they are working on differentiating the two models a bit more. Granted it's not enough to make me want to trade my 15 in, but I think it's all a move in the right direction for the car.

Now the debate for the 2nd Gen TLX can begin in earnest!

TSX69 04-12-2017 07:35 AM

EndGadget

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/11/...oftware-desig/
With its 2018 TLX, Acura learns the value of good software design

Chris Velazco/Engadget

Acura just pulled back the curtains on a pair of premium sedans — the 2018 TLX and its sportier A-Spec cousin — and they feature a more sporty, aggressive look than the milquetoast models they replace. Fortunately for you road warriors, Acura did more than just give those bodies a makeover — the company redesigned its in-car interface in response to complaints about its complexity. If that seems like a silly thing to get worked up over, just remember that you're probably going to get stuck with your car's software and interface for at least a few years. It's about time car company's started making these infotainment systems less terrible.

In fairness, Acura had a fair bit of work to do. In addition to the usual instrument cluster, the TLX has 2 other displays: a big, bright screen for glancing at information and a touchscreen below that. The problem is, Acura has had trouble figuring out what kind of information should go on each screen, and people didn't really know where to look either. "It was kind of hard for them to tell what information was where," an Acura spokesperson told me before a live band drowned everything out. "So it was really hard for them to use it."

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/mid..._1504+copy.jpg

So, after lots of focus testing, Acura mixed things up. Audio controls and related info are now solely located on the touchscreen for easier access, freeing up the bigger screen for navigation (another important feature that was confusing to get to) and data provided by Android Auto and Apple's CarPlay. The company also redesigned the menu invoked by the car's jog dial — it's now an easy-to-parse list, which should hopefully make for fewer mistakes and even fewer accidents. All told, Acura claims this revamped interface is 30 percent "faster" than the older iteration, but we (or our dear cousins at Autoblog) will be the judges of that.

Beyond a software redesign, both the TLX and its A-Spec variant pack active road safety bits (collectively known as AcuraWatch) as standard equipment to keep drivers, passengers and pedestrians safe. We're talking about a collision detection system with automatic braking here, along with adaptive cruise control that works even at low speeds (appropriate for the sort of traffic that's sure to happen here in New York.) Getting all these features as standard sounds like a pretty good deal, but we'll have to wait to be sure — the 2018 models won't hit lots for a little while yet.

quantum7 04-12-2017 11:24 AM

Gotta say that I am pleased with the direction that the MMR offers. Looks like they are at least listening a little to what people want. I am hopeful that they will finish the task in a couple of years with the 2G TLX. Just wonder what the pricing will be on the A-Spec

CaliAtenza 04-12-2017 11:28 AM

I wonder if the navigation graphics look different. That is the biggest complaint I have with the system. The Euro makes have some very nice systems. Even Lexus has a much bigger screen now as well, and nicer graphics.

Kruezr 04-12-2017 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut (Post 15996927)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d0a0f6ba81.jpg
I think the redesigned front end looks great from this angle! In fact I (still) like the looks of the car - conservative and a bit sedate but very nice.

Clearly Acura doesn't think the car is as "broken" as a handful of AZ enthusiasts do WRT the current performance capabilities.

Making AcuraWatch standard across all models is very nice. The upgraded infotainment (need to see it before passing judgement) is something MANY people here have been asking for. Of course the exposed exhaust tips is a big deal for some. New seats on the V6 (they look nice) - Surround View Camera system (not entirely sure how that works but it sounds cool), built-in wireless charging pad, white LED ambient light piping in 10 locations throughout the cabin, a heated steering wheel and heated rear outboard seats. I'd say the focus for them was on technology and making refinements which is the norm for most MMC's.

Frankly I would have been tempted to get the V6 for some of those features - it sounds like they are working on differentiating the two models a bit more. Granted it's not enough to make me want to trade my 15 in, but I think it's all a move in the right direction for the car.

Now the debate for the 2nd Gen TLX can begin in earnest!

Some nice upgrades. Big question for me; same crappy transmission as was included in the 15 TLX ? If so, not at all interested

xedap1998 04-12-2017 11:42 AM

Those min

Originally Posted by reddogTL (Post 15996656)
Blah. A-Spec package isn't good enough. Needed a powertrain upgrade. Not even getting the new 10 spd for 2018 while Honda's MINIVAN is getting it. Seriously WTF Acura!

I see a Q50 Red Sport 400HP in my future.

Those higher trim minivan will cost 42000$-48000 and sell like hot cake....the honda pilot touring and elite are in shortage and they sell for MSRP or close...PLUS it is a brand new model and the R&D is worth the cost. i dont think they have the budget to put the 10 speed tranny in the TLX for mid cycle refresh--it wont help the sale by much.. Base TLX v6 is only 36k...and selling a a tiny rate even with discount

Now if the 2018 RDX get the ZF then i will have a problem--since it is a full cycle

xedap1998 04-12-2017 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by CaliAtenza (Post 15997276)
I wonder if the navigation graphics look different. That is the biggest complaint I have with the system. The Euro makes have some very nice systems. Even Lexus has a much bigger screen now as well, and nicer graphics.

It has android and apple support so that part of the graphic will be different..The build in GPS maybe not different--the adio (secondary screen has different color) looks nicer

scooterb84 04-12-2017 12:50 PM

I'm sold. I have a '15 TLX now and love the new look of the A-Spec. Now I just have to wait until June.....

Rae Rad 04-12-2017 02:00 PM

The grill would Look better if the car was black to blend in how massive the grill really is. Black looks good with red A-spec seats. I think this can grow on me quickly, first I want to see it in black. I do like the new steering wheel and wireless charging station.

CybrRdr 04-12-2017 02:24 PM

As with any car.... when a manufacturer shoehorns a new front end on existing models, it tend to look a bit awkward. I'm sure the design language will be much better on the FMC.

That said, I am happy that they have a A-Spec model. I know some people are still not happy with A-Spec but this package looks comparable to Lexus F-Sport package which is mostly cosmetic and suspension tweaks. Its a move in the right direction, though kinda late when compared to what other manufacturers have been offering.

E90 Skye 04-12-2017 03:24 PM

Not a bad idea fiscally, as F sport models actually sell well just for their cosmetics updates (and suspension tweaks in some models). I'm so far liking the changes, especially upgrades to infotainment. Maybe Acura is slowly turning those wheels to get going in the right direction.

Tony Pac 04-12-2017 03:53 PM

guys - this isn't amazing but I gotta say that a huge step forward. I have faith in Honda and Acura that as of the next redesigned Acura (ILX, TLX, RDX, MDX or RLX) we will see some major changes. Unfortunately, we might need to wait 18-24 months to get a complete redesigned Acura with all the goodies :)

alpha0 04-12-2017 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by CybrRdr (Post 15997502)
As with any car.... when a manufacturer shoehorns a new front end on existing models, it tend to look a bit awkward. I'm sure the design language will be much better on the FMC.

That said, I am happy that they have a A-Spec model. I know some people are still not happy with A-Spec but this package looks comparable to Lexus F-Sport package which is mostly cosmetic and suspension tweaks. Its a move in the right direction, though kinda late when compared to what other manufacturers have been offering.

I thought f-sport uses different transmission also (6AT)..i wish Acura put 6AT + 310 hp engine of RLX in A-spec...

iforyou 04-12-2017 05:02 PM

IMO 80% of the wish list was fulfilled with the MMC.

Good:
- Exhaust tips
- Bumper changes, not just tacked on body kit
- Suspension changes
- Sportier interior (the red seats and red interior really help)
- Upgraded infotainment system with better graphics, faster response
- Apple Carplay/ Android Auto
- 19" rims with wider tires

Bad:
- No powertrain upgrades/addition such as 2.0T or sport hybrid. Hell, not even 3.5L V6 310hp from RLX

I think that's about it. The facelifted TLX A-spec looks much sportier than before. I can't really say it's a bland looking car anymore.

quantum7 04-12-2017 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by alpha0 (Post 15997598)
I thought f-sport uses different transmission also (6AT)..i wish Acura put 6AT + 310 hp engine of RLX in A-spec...

I would buy that immediately.....hp does not even matter that much.....just the 6AT would get my $

jhb31 04-12-2017 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by CybrRdr (Post 15997502)

Unless I am mistaken I believe the fenders, hood and front all all new and redone on this model so this was more than just a new grill and front spoiler. I like the update and the A Spec suspension may be a nice upgrade over the current one. Don't really care much for the non-matching trunk spoiler, would much rather have it be body color.

alpha0 04-12-2017 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by quantum7 (Post 15997609)
I would buy that immediately.....hp does not even matter that much.....just the 6AT would get my $

6AT + gear shifter will get my money...310 hp engine is just wish list...

BC01191980 04-12-2017 10:37 PM

I don't like the diamond grill

Lexus, Acura, and Infniti are getting fuglier

I may consider the German brands later this year when my lease is expiring

Rae Rad 04-12-2017 11:26 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...44b7cfb63.jpegBlue A-Spec

mapleloaf 04-12-2017 11:59 PM

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but I think they have done a good job in pleasing more of the people more of the time. There's a lot to like, but as a happy 2.4 Tech customer, I will be anxious to see what other goodies we get, although I do think the full Acura Watch, and the updated infotainment system are excellent starts. The new grill looks good, as do the flatter exhausts, although I was just fine with the current grill and hidden pipes. It's certainly more than I expected, particularly given that I care little about larger engine displacements. The early reviews by automotive journalists seem positive, which is always a good start.

E90 Skye 04-13-2017 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rae Rad (Post 15997784)

This looks pretty great to me! Hope this is a production color!

dezymond 04-13-2017 01:41 AM

It'll look alot different in person, but so far I'm not a fan of the red interior, it seems too much. The seats look super comfortable, though I have to say the current ones are pretty good, but those look more supportive.

Probably wishful thinking, but wondering if Android Auto/CarPlay can be ported to older TLX somehow. Doesn't seem to be an "all new" infotainment center.

Not a fan of the new front end (though it looks alright in that Blue A-spec pic) and not a fan of how the rear turned out on the A-Spec, it all seems so "tacked on". Sure it's bolder styling, but looks cheaper to me. I'll have to pass final judgement when I see it in person.

CheeseyPoofs McNut 04-13-2017 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by dezymond (Post 15997810)
It'll look alot different in person, but so far I'm not a fan of the red interior, it seems too much. The seats look super comfortable, though I have to say the current ones are pretty good, but those look more supportive.

Probably wishful thinking, but wondering if Android Auto/CarPlay can be ported to older TLX somehow. Doesn't seem to be an "all new" infotainment center.

Not a fan of the new front end (though it looks alright in that Blue A-spec pic) and not a fan of how the rear turned out on the A-Spec, it all seems so "tacked on". Sure it's bolder styling, but looks cheaper to me. I'll have to pass final judgement when I see it in person.

I think it may be new hardware - they said haptic touch is gone (to speed things up) so I'm guessing it's upgraded and different hardware.

justnspace 04-13-2017 06:11 AM

pretty envious of those who can go out and snag the latest and greatest amenities!!
(butt not envious of the car note...lol)

jjsC5 04-13-2017 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Pac (Post 15997578)
guys - this isn't amazing but I gotta say that a huge step forward. I have faith in Honda and Acura that as of the next redesigned Acura (ILX, TLX, RDX, MDX or RLX) we will see some major changes. Unfortunately, we might need to wait 18-24 months to get a complete redesigned Acura with all the goodies :)

Yeah, that's what many people said when the last generation was out. Acura has not done well for many years in hitting the mark for enthusiasts. But that is apparently the key. They are not aiming their cars at enthusiasts like they did 10-20 years ago. That is certainly their prerogative. It's just a shame they won't make performance versions of their cars like the Europeans do. But it's obviously still a car on many of our radars or we would not be here.

In my case, I have owned a few German cars the past few years for just that reason, but I'd like to go back to Japanese for value and reliability. The Q50 Red Sport is the only option, but that car has some trade offs. No ventilated seats and while I have not listened to it, I have concerns about the Bose Centerpoint sound system. And I have owned three Infinitis and I consider them a half step behind other Japanese manufacturers in refinement and quality....and resale value.

Rae Rad 04-13-2017 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by E90 Skye (Post 15997793)
This looks pretty great to me! Hope this is a production color!

the color is called Still Night Pearl and only available on A- Spec models

it looks like the Kinetic Blue Pearl from the 3G

djsteve 04-13-2017 09:34 AM

I'm betting that the new head unit can be retrofitted into '15-'17 models.

BEAR-AvHistory 04-13-2017 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by xedap1998 (Post 15997302)
Base TLX v6 is only 36k...and selling a a tiny rate even with discount

Interesting comment. Do you know the spread for the I4 to V6 sales? The answer might shed some light on Acura's marketing strategy & the rational for the MMC content.