Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Motorweek

Old 06-19-2017, 12:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious, does everyone maintain using 90+ octane on the TLX? I read in certain circles that you can get away with mid and in some cases 87 octane. Is this true and if so has anyone stopped putting higher octane in their TLX? Were there any issues short/long term?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Religious debate, but my rule has been loom at the wording in the manual if is says ”required" then you need higher grade fuel, if it says "recommended" then no need to unless you plan on pushing the car hard and need that little extra from the engine. My Infiniti said ”required" and stated anything over 1/4 tank of gas in an emergency could cause damage. Thus I always used premium. For my TLX and her RDX I use 87 octane and since both are leases I use my Kroger fuel points. When I own a car I stick with Top Tier fuel only, and down here it was exclusively Quik Trip.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Most "premium" 91+ fuel here in Canada is ethanol free, so thats what I use.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:58 PM
10th Gear

Thanks guys. Debating to pick up this car as that with fuel fluctuating and expected to go up this might be an expensive purchase beyond the initial cost of the car.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:22 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kentone
Thanks guys. Debating to pick up this car as that with fuel fluctuating and expected to go up this might be an expensive purchase beyond the initial cost of the car.
Whenever possible... the engine will always appreciate the highest octane... and free of ethanol (if you can find it)!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:13 AM
Senior Moderator

A. Thread hijack. B. Keith is right, this is the car guy's religious debate. C. I use premium. Let's move this debate to Car Talk, and concentrate on reviews.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:54 AM
10th Gear

Sorry, my bad neuronbob.

I did test test drive the A-spec AWD about 1.5 weeks ago and the car really hugged the.road. Quite impressed with the handling. I myself liked the black interior over the red though.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by nhester
Whenever possible... the engine will always appreciate the highest octane... and free of ethanol (if you can find it)!
That is not really true at all. If an engine does not need higher octane it is actually counter productive. Higher octane actually burns slower and hurts performance. The only way it helps is if the engine is designed to need it to prevent pre-ignition (detonation).

oops, just saw the moderators comment. Please leave my post here if you leave the post I quoted. People need to know that what he said is not true. I'll leave this as my last post on the subject here.

Last edited by jjsC5; 06-20-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
This is a raging debate. Has been going on for awhile. Personally, if the car manufacturer recommends higher octane, I use higher octane. It costs around another $4 per fill-up around my parts to use 91 or higher. That's not going to make, more break me in any way. If you buy a high(er) performance car, I just don't get why you'd skimp on something as cheap as gas.

You're not alone here, though. I had the same discussions with people (who wanted to use regular) when I owned my 335i and my S4.

Higher octane is used by manufacturers to eek out a bit more performance. Lower octane (when used in cars designed to use higher octanes) used can cause pre-detonation and you may notice some pinging. Neither of these situations is good for the engine. Manufacturers, via computer can compensate lower octane fuel by retarding the timing. Again, this can affect performance, which flies against the entire reason you buy a sports sedan. In addition, fuel economy may suffer as a result of using lower octane than recommended, totally negating any marginal savings for the cots of the fuel.

In short, there's really no upside to using lower octane in the TLX. At best, you pay a little less per fill-up (but give it back with lower fuel economy). At worst, performance suffers and any pre-detonation resultant pinging will NEVER be good for your engine.

I fill up at Costco, exclusively. Their fuel is all top tier. This weekend, I think I paid less than $2.50/gal for Premium. Pretty darned cheap considering what we were paying 10 years ago.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A quick note on the a-spec the head rest are like pillows. It's very soft and comfortable and as you lay your head on the rest, it curves around your head. Excellent job with the headrest. Another point that I noticed is that I feel like I'm sitting higher and I get a better view outside in comparison to my 2010 shawd mt tl. A cool ergonomic feature, inside the trunk you have a handle to close the trunk without touching the paint. I like this because I'm very anal when comes down to keeping the car and paint clean. I plan on putting two coats on Klass paint sealant right after the first wash, maybe three coats on the front due to the fact were are in the summer and it's bug season.
In "sport+" mode it shifts just like a mt car. Prior to a turn it downshifts allowing you to "pull" yourself through the turn utilizing the shawd the way it's meant to be.
The Still Night in opinion is a gorgeous color (might be the best) and a clear differentiator to other tlx's just by first glance.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Finally test drove a SH-AWD ASpec over the weekend. While it was a short drive handling was great, transmission shifted with no issues in all modes. Kept it back in Sport after checking out the other modes. Felt planted and just solid overall. Given the TLX is a few hundred pounds lighter than the MDX power delivery was excellent. Wife couldn't believe that the engine sound was piped in through the speakers. She said it sounded natural. OMD is greatly improved over our 2014 MDX. The delay in the MDX always drove me nuts. The TLX version is just instantaneous response to any click. Glad they worked that out finally. Overall very impressed with the ASpec.

I liked it enough to put a deposit down on their first Still Night Blue/Black AWD coming in the first week of July. They even took off $1500 which no other dealer would even entertain (5 that I talked to) just by me mentioning I knew there were incentives. I wasn't going to complain (since incentives total $2750) because they mentioned their last 4 Aspecs sold at MSRP.
The following users liked this post:
neuronbob (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed_Racer
Finally test drove a SH-AWD ASpec over the weekend. While it was a short drive handling was great, transmission shifted with no issues in all modes. Kept it back in Sport after checking out the other modes. Felt planted and just solid overall. Given the TLX is a few hundred pounds lighter than the MDX power delivery was excellent. Wife couldn't believe that the engine sound was piped in through the speakers. She said it sounded natural. OMD is greatly improved over our 2014 MDX. The delay in the MDX always drove me nuts. The TLX version is just instantaneous response to any click. Glad they worked that out finally. Overall very impressed with the ASpec.

I liked it enough to put a deposit down on their first Still Night Blue/Black AWD coming in the first week of July. They even took off $1500 which no other dealer would even entertain (5 that I talked to) just by me mentioning I knew there were incentives. I wasn't going to complain (since incentives total $2750) because they mentioned their last 4 Aspecs sold at MSRP.
Congrats man!
Speed_Racer (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Bk973
. A cool ergonomic feature, inside the trunk you have a handle to close the trunk without touching the paint. I like this because I'm very anal when comes down to keeping the car and paint clean.
the 3rd gen TL had this feature.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

To all the new 2018 owners, does the front license plate mount through a bracket under the front bumper or is it drilled directly into the face of the front bumper?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
I noticed two holes in the front bumper where the plates would go so my guess is you affix the plates to the bumper surface.

To all the new 2018 owners, does the front license plate mount through a bracket under the front bumper or is it drilled directly into the face of the front bumper?
Speed_Racer (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Drilled into the face of the bumper through the two dimples mentioned above. I chose to leave mine pristine. Luckily, the local constabulary is busy doing actual police work rather than catching front plate scofflaws like me.

Congrats! I got the entire $2750 in incentives. My lease cap was based on $429xx. Again, I got a decent deal for a car just released.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
Speed_Racer (06-20-2017), TacoBello (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
SH-AWD TECH

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Which dealer was this? All Bay dealers seem to drill the front to attach the front plates during PDI. I had to go to Concord to find one not yet drilled in.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:36 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by ConradValmont
Which dealer was this? All Bay dealers seem to drill the front to attach the front plates during PDI. I had to go to Concord to find one not yet drilled in.
Hopkins Acura. I was hoping it was just attached from the bottom, but I'll try to ask them to not drill it during PDI.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 PM
SH-AWD TECH

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Hopkins Acura. I was hoping it was just attached from the bottom, but I'll try to ask them to not drill it during PDI.
Explicitly let them know early so they don't "accidentally" forget once the car arrives.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 PM
10th Gear

License plate mount
Although I could be wrong...I believe with the front bumper there is an tow anchor behind the bumper and if you look at the bumper you will see on the right side a small circular cover. If you remove the cover you have access to the tow anchor. Using an adapter you can mount the adapter to mount the plates without damaging the bumper with screws and what not. Too bad the bumper doesn't say "Acura" like the older TLs did.

The adapter looks similar to the picture above. Sorry, I'm having issues trying to paste the image in.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:07 PM
10th Gear

Correction, the port is on the left side of the bumper as you are looking at the car from the front.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by kentone
Correction, the port is on the left side of the bumper as you are looking at the car from the front.
This would be a better alternative, I was just asking how the default install was done, since they're always dead center on the bumper. Our Odyssey has a bracket that mounts with screws under the bumper so you don't see holes on the front for example.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Drilled into the face of the bumper through the two dimples mentioned above. I chose to leave mine pristine. Luckily, the local constabulary is busy doing actual police work rather than catching front plate scofflaws like me.

Congrats! I got the entire $2750 in incentives. My lease cap was based on $429xx. Again, I got a decent deal for a car just released.
neuronbob - can you please share your numbers? downpayment and monthly payments if you are ok with that..
Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 PM
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by alpha0
neuronbob - can you please share your numbers? downpayment and monthly payments if you are ok with that..
thank you, I was about to ask the same.

Also, I'm curious to know what approach are people here taking in order to receive higher incentives.
If I remember correctly someone received $1750 +/- in incentives while another buy received $500.
So what's the card to play there? Just show up to the dealer and be firm on knowing about incentives and force them to give that higher amount?

thanks
Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

I posted my numbers in the owners' sign in thread. I didn't share my monthly lease payment but you can figure it out pretty easily by plugging into the Leasehackr calculator, it's nearly dead on when you add in my (high) local taxes. I asked for, and received, all avilable incentives ($2750). In my case, I've now bought/leased five Acuras from the same salesman and I'm a regular in the service department with my NSX. I'm not sure how much that helped. MF was 0.0011 (2.64%) and residual was 60%, which I've shared elsewhere and are current Acura non-negotiable numbers. I only put down the first payment--I don't believe in down payments for leases, it's a waste of money unless you do MSDs, which Acura doesn't take. I did a 10k/year lease because I had 13k miles that I transferred from my RLX lease, a great perk in Acura leases....so I can drive 43k miles on this car in three years.
TacoBello (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
That's pretty killer.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I posted my numbers in the owners' sign in thread. I didn't share my monthly lease payment but you can figure it out pretty easily by plugging into the Leasehackr calculator, it's nearly dead on when you add in my (high) local taxes. I asked for, and received, all avilable incentives ($2750). In my case, I've now bought/leased five Acuras from the same salesman and I'm a regular in the service department with my NSX. I'm not sure how much that helped. MF was 0.0011 (2.64%) and residual was 60%, which I've shared elsewhere and are current Acura non-negotiable numbers. I only put down the first payment--I don't believe in down payments for leases, it's a waste of money unless you do MSDs, which Acura doesn't take. I did a 10k/year lease because I had 13k miles that I transferred from my RLX lease, a great perk in Acura leases....so I can drive 43k miles on this car in three years.
I'm surprised you didn't get a better deal than that, considering your repeated patronage.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Car was just released, and considering many dealers are asking MSRP or a token amount off for the A-Spec, I think I did well. For various reasons, I could not wait until December, which I'd ordinarily do, for a rock bottom deal. I was originally offered an MSRP lease deal until in the second sentence of the pricing conversation, when I expressed awareness of the incentives. I was immediately offered a price with the incentives and a bit extra off. Goes to show you that a little awareness goes a long way.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
I mean it could be worse, our local Honda dealer wants $60,000 for a Civic Type R! Hahahaha!
Old 06-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Hondacura really needs to get a handle on this over MSRP situation. They need to do what Dodge just announced with the Chally Demon--orders above MSRP are prioritized under MSRP or less deals. Could have saved the NSX and now those CTRs are gonna sit.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Hondacura really needs to get a handle on this over MSRP situation. They need to do what Dodge just announced with the Chally Demon--orders above MSRP are prioritized under MSRP or less deals. Could have saved the NSX and now those CTRs are gonna sit.
Although the Type R is 'cool', it's nowhere worth as much as its AWD turbo V6 counterparts (S4 comes to mind). What I'm curious is who would be stupid enough to buy it at that price. Those cars are for younger generations, and at 60k you have to REALLY like it lol.
neuronbob (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:38 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Although the Type R is 'cool', it's nowhere worth as much as its AWD turbo V6 counterparts (S4 comes to mind). What I'm curious is who would be stupid enough to buy it at that price. Those cars are for younger generations, and at 60k you have to REALLY like it lol.
I'd be curious to see what these are actually selling for. Dealers can ask whatever they like, but can't see these selling for that much over MSRP. Then there's that saying "A fool and his money. . ."
Old 06-21-2017, 10:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Curious3GTL
I mean it could be worse, our local Honda dealer wants $60,000 for a Civic Type R! Hahahaha!
Please tell me this is exaggerated. LOL What?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Kense
Please tell me this is exaggerated. LOL What?
Nope, hahaha.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
6 A-Specs in DFW

On cars.com there are 6 A-Specs in the 5th largest urban area in the country. Having sold Mercedes and Volvo in another life, I have a feeling the A-Spec inventory may not be allocated to dealers based on prior year's TLX sales numbers. This is only an educated guess. I've done a test drive and it is exactly as other members have reviewed. Oh yeah I want it, but no way at MSRP.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Cmon guys. You really think someone will pay 60k for a civic? The dealer is just trying to catch anyone stupid. There's no harm in that. You can also likely travel to another Honda dealer in your city and pay 44k (a 10k markup), or less, for the same car. If you're too lazy to shop, well...

Anyway, in 6-12 months, the CTR will be selling at MSRP, or under. Just like any other desirable car upon release. The FoRS was the same. The FoST was the same. The Golf R was the same. Etc., etc.

How does dodge prioritize the dodge demon to dealers? What you pay at the dealer, dodge has no clue about. That doesn't make sense at all. Knowing the car business and how greasy dealerships can be, they'd find a quick way around letting dodge know what is being paid for the car.

also, there's nothing wrong with the NSX sales. Honda is on par to move about 600 units this year. That was their original goal.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Pro

Received 543 Likes on 256 Posts
While doing the the paperwork for my car the dealer shared that Acura planned on limiting supply of the A-Spec model. Don't know if that was BS, but at that point in the transaction lying would serve no purpose. Time will tell

Originally Posted by slimm1469
On cars.com there are 6 A-Specs in the 5th largest urban area in the country. Having sold Mercedes and Volvo in another life, I have a feeling the A-Spec inventory may not be allocated to dealers based on prior year's TLX sales numbers. This is only an educated guess. I've done a test drive and it is exactly as other members have reviewed. Oh yeah I want it, but no way at MSRP.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Glad to see I haven't lost my edge. I have a standing offer with the nearest dealer for -$1,500 MSRP.

Last edited by slimm1469; 06-21-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by slimm1469
Glad to see I haven't lost my edge. I have a standing offer with the nearest dealer for -$1,500 MSRP.
Lease or buy?

Quick Reply: 2018 A-Spec reviews