Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Valentine's Day...

Old 01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
i'm sure she's thought of it.
She probably has. I was originally thinking of doing it at a nice restaurant in a creative way, which I later cancelled because i told her i booked it for vday and she wasn't hot on the idea. But i'm sure it raised a red flag cause usually i am usually very anti valentine's day and it was a very expensive restaurant (she even mentioned that it wasn't really like me to book it). I tried to explain it away by saying I was able to make the reservation (not so easy to get) so I figured why not consider the possibility. So instead I was like, how bout i make you a really nice meal at home, i'll make the menu a surprise, which she liked, so that's where its going to go down.

But the thing with proposing on valentine's day is that, while a little cheese-tastic, I can at least explain away the romantic circumstances since it is on that day (or she has to consider that as a possibility at least, and not automatically deduce that the proposal will be going down that night). If it was another day, she would probably think something was up, if i did some overly romantic gesture ("he is planning this big romantic night randomly, he must plan on proposing"), since she knows it will happen in the next few months. And i could do it totally by surprise, no romantic pretext, but that would kind of take away from what should be a special event.

I mean, i'm picking the ring up in a few days, so i can do it whenever. But the question is, why not just wait until the 14th? If it was on a weeknight, as opposed to a Saturday, i probably would have done it another day.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:19 PM
spaz

my gf doesnt believe in valentines day.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tegkid

I want a gf like that.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:26 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
She probably has. I was originally thinking of doing it at a nice restaurant in a creative way, which I later cancelled because i told her i booked it for vday and she wasn't hot on the idea. But i'm sure it raised a red flag cause usually i am usually very anti valentine's day and it was a very expensive restaurant (she even mentioned that it wasn't really like me to book it). I tried to explain it away by saying I was able to make the reservation (not so easy to get) so I figured why not consider the possibility. So instead I was like, how bout i make you a really nice meal at home, i'll make the menu a surprise, which she liked, so that's where its going to go down.

But the thing with proposing on valentine's day is that, while a little cheese-tastic, I can at least explain away the romantic circumstances since it is on that day (or she has to consider that as a possibility at least, and not automatically deduce that the proposal will be going down that night). If it was another day, she would probably think something was up, if i did some overly romantic gesture ("he is planning this big romantic night randomly, he must plan on proposing"), since she knows it will happen in the next few months. And i could do it totally by surprise, no romantic pretext, but that would kind of take away from what should be a special event.

I mean, i'm picking the ring up in a few days, so i can do it whenever. But the question is, why not just wait until the 14th? If it was on a weeknight, as opposed to a Saturday, i probably would have done it another day.
hey i'm not saying you should or shouldn't.

regardless, good luck.

and i think preparing a romantic dinner at home and proposing afterwards is wayyyyy less cheese than proposing at an expensive restaurant.

did you ask her father for his blessings? (not that you have to but just curious if you did.)
Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Ski, restaurant and using our friend's chalet for the weekend.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

GL with it man!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 PM
werd

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
it's coming soon.

what are your plans?
Breaking up with mine just in time to miss the "fun"
Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 PM
spaz

Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed

I want a gf like that.
freal. i was so happy when i figured that out a few years back.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well me and my baby are supposed to be going to see a play, have dinner out and fuck each others brains out...but I think the play is wack...so we might shift gears on that...but the dinner out and wild sex is definitely on the menu...you know your boy...I'm definitely bringing my "A" game for this one...as if...this is Fuck Day, and I'm a motherfucker...literally...have fun y'all whatever you do...
Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 AM
Back in a TL again.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a girl who does this thing its awesome, But I need a date first to have her do it
Old 01-29-2009, 03:27 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm gonna propose to my gf of 5+ years
Originally Posted by Whiskers
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roses (Costco FTW!!) and dinner, maybe some dancing too.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Not much. Not much at all.

Our anniversary is on the 11th. And with the job situation being what it is, we decided to be cheap this year.

I'll be making her dinner on the 11th. And on the weekend of Valentine's Day one of the girls that Beth works with will baby sit Elliott so we can go catch a movie and have lunch or dinner. Nothing special. I think we're trying to keep it under $100.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Instructor

My birthday is on Valentine's Day, so I am going out to dinner with the two loves of my life... My wife and son.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by ajdigerati
My birthday is on Valentine's Day, so I am going out to dinner with the two loves of my life... My wife and son.
Hahaha...you are about to get screwed for your extra present...both literally and figuratively...
Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by darksom1
Hahaha...you are about to get screwed for your extra present...both literally and figuratively...
Yeah, it is like having a birthday on or around Christmas, but I don't mind.

On the plus side, my wife cuts me some slack on the whole Valentine's day thing. I don't have to work as hard for that little something extra on Valentine's Day.

Oh and BTW, while I have your attention, can I just say that your insightful yet humorous and witty posts are... well.. freaken genius.

Last edited by ajdigerati; 01-30-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by ajdigerati
Oh and BTW, while I have your attention, can I just say that your insightful yet humorous and witty posts are... well.. freaken genius.
Thanks dude, and good luck on V/B-day!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tegkid
My bf and I aren't celebrating it either. Don't see the need for it. He's working V-day weekend anyway.

Our anniversary is next week and we are just going out to dinner.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 PM
sup

Okay, so I couldn't wait until valentine's day....so i popped the question yesterday. She said yes

so now valentine's day will just be a regular day. awesome.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Okay, so I couldn't wait until valentine's day....so i popped the question yesterday. She said yes

Congrats!
Old 01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats, man! So how did you pop the question?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts

Old 01-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
My bf and I aren't celebrating it either. Don't see the need for it. He's working V-day weekend anyway.

Our anniversary is next week and we are just going out to dinner.
Hey, so is ours! We both took the weekend off, & are going to head out to a cottage in the mountains for some down time. I'm so looking forward to the break!

congrats viper!

Last edited by wndrlst; 01-31-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

** CONGRATS!! **

Details! Details!
Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by wndrlst
Hey, so is ours! We both took the weekend off, & are going to head out to a cottage in the mountains for some down time. I'm so looking forward to the break!
Jealous!!

Hey, maybe he'll pop the question then too!!

We do our Valentine's Day celebrations in March. Cheaper, meaningful, and we make it our own. Actually, it's because the first Valentine's we were due to spend together, my dog was sick and took a big turn for the worse just a few days before Valentine's. We decided it'd be best to put him down, but didn't want to do it on Valentine's Day as to not have the memory of it happening then. We took him to the vet on the 15th instead...so really not much of a difference - I remember it just as well. I wasn't in the mood to celebrate anything on the 14th and just wanted to spend the last night with my dog. So...we opted to ignore the big commercial day and chose our own special day to celebrate when I was feeling more up to it. We kept the tradition, so February 14th will be just another day for us....
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

congrats viper!
Small world! That'll be a nice weekend in the mountains. I had wanted to book a hotel room in NYC for a night (the 7th), but he didn't want to spend the money. Our day is the 9th but he's working, so we're celebrating on the weekend instead.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Jealous!!

Hey, maybe he'll pop the question then too!!

We do our Valentine's Day celebrations in March. Cheaper, meaningful, and we make it our own. Actually, it's because the first Valentine's we were due to spend together, my dog was sick and took a big turn for the worse just a few days before Valentine's. We decided it'd be best to put him down, but didn't want to do it on Valentine's Day as to not have the memory of it happening then. We took him to the vet on the 15th instead...so really not much of a difference - I remember it just as well. I wasn't in the mood to celebrate anything on the 14th and just wanted to spend the last night with my dog. So...we opted to ignore the big commercial day and chose our own special day to celebrate when I was feeling more up to it. We kept the tradition, so February 14th will be just another day for us....
Now THAT would truly surprise me! I'm not expecting anything along those lines - just a nice weekend. We're even taking the little dog.

I'm sorry about your first VDay, and your dog. Is that the one with the hippie pics? I like the way you guys worked it out and made it your own, though.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 PM

I'm sorry about your first VDay, and your dog. Is that the one with the hippie pics?
Nope, not the hippie dog you're thinking of....that was his step-sister.

Evidence:

Culprit, including evidence smeared all over his beard:

His name was Bandit - a Tibetan Terrier.
I put his last vacc tag on my keyring when we got home from the vet that night and haven't taken it off since.

Anyway, I think our Valentine's Day will be pretty laid back -- just some much appreciated time together. As with you, I'm lucky enough to have the most wonderful husband in the world, who shows his love and appreciation every day, and not just in overload on Valentine's.

P.S. I still sense a proposal in your near future
Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 AM

congrats!

details! details!

(and by details, we mean pics of the fiancee! )
Old 02-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Nope, not the hippie dog you're thinking of....that was his step-sister.

Evidence:

Culprit, including evidence smeared all over his beard:

His name was Bandit - a Tibetan Terrier.
I put his last vacc tag on my keyring when we got home from the vet that night and haven't taken it off since.

Anyway, I think our Valentine's Day will be pretty laid back -- just some much appreciated time together. As with you, I'm lucky enough to have the most wonderful husband in the world, who shows his love and appreciation every day, and not just in overload on Valentine's.

P.S. I still sense a proposal in your near future
Ohhh, okay - I do remember the cake pictures, too. What a cutey pie. I love that you have something of him to carry with you. I can absolutely see myself needing to find something along those lines for comfort when I don't have my little Moxie-dog around anymore.

We're the lucky ones, eh? Good for us!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:29 PM
sup

congrats!

details! details!

(and by details, we mean pics of the fiancee! )

Haha, thanks everyone. It went over really well. On Friday I told my gf..er..fiancee...that I had a meeting and would be at work late. But I actually left work early so I could get home before her and surprise her. I bought some roses, and put rose petals in a little path from the door to the staircase, upstairs and to the bedroom (we are in a one room duplex, so its not too far). I lit a bunch of candles and put little post-it notes up along the way with little messages leading up to the question. So when she came home she followed it up and I was waiting upstairs, and I popped the question. She was really happy and surprised, and of course said yes.

as far as the pics, I'll see what i can do
Old 02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Haha, thanks everyone. It went over really well. On Friday I told my gf..er..fiancee...that I had a meeting and would be at work late. But I actually left work early so I could get home before her and surprise her. I bought some roses, and put rose petals in a little path from the door to the staircase, upstairs and to the bedroom (we are in a one room duplex, so its not too far). I lit a bunch of candles and put little post-it notes up along the way with little messages leading up to the question. So when she came home she followed it up and I was waiting upstairs, and I popped the question. She was really happy and surprised, and of course said yes.

as far as the pics, I'll see what i can do
Man thats cool as hell...why are you putting up pics though? Some of the people are not kind here...better rethink that...I know you are in a state of euphoria right now, but this is AZ...hahahahaha! Enjoy your life together!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
Picked up a gf during the dating off season so I am taking her to the keys for the weekend and dinner etc. Between this weekend of sky diving and a super expensive place in the keys it appears my new plasma is going to have to wait
Old 02-03-2009, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1StGenCL
Picked up a gf during the dating off season so I am taking her to the keys for the weekend and dinner etc. Between this weekend of sky diving and a super expensive place in the keys it appears my new plasma is going to have to wait

you're supposed to wait after valentine's day to pick up a gf.

noob. :shakehead
Old 02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

+1
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats Viper!! Nice work!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,182 Likes on 690 Posts
I know i told myself to wait. I met her Dec 12th or so and kept it nice and casual to avoid the christmas holiday so it wasnt too bad.

Thank God I missed T-day with her fam and Xmas, Vday is kicking my ass tho

Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Regardless, a trip to the keys less than 2 months into it is setting the bar very high for the future...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by moeronn
^^ Regardless, a trip to the keys less than 2 months into it is setting the bar very high for the future...

when your 6 month anniversary comes around, she's gonna expect an all expenses paid trip to paris.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Homewreck as many girls off their feet as possible on Cornell campus

Quick Reply: Valentine's Day...