Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

How much to spend on a ring?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
my good friend just got a 4 ct flawless that is straight bling. its a very low head, which makes it less distracting. MIL has a 5.4 ct in a high head that is completely disfunctional. its like having a finger on top of her own. SIL has a 3.5 in a very low, cupped setting that is unassuming, and tamed down. the setting / head height makes all the difference in gaudiness when you break the 100k loose diamond barrier. big stone, low slung, basic setting can have a nice classic look.
I hear ya. I just don't think it has any character. It's just "big" and that's about all one can say about it. So in that sense, size of the stone or how 'perfect' it is just doesn't do much for me when it massive. It didn't prove a point to me either, about how wealthy she is or how much hubby makes per year. It's just a huge, ugly ring.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermonMermon
See, and that ring does absolutely nothing for me. It looks fake and plain. Sure, it's a big diamond, but so what?! It looks like costume jewellery to me...the kind you'd wear when you're a kid and playing with princess dresses left over from Halloween, or when dressing up in ridiculous Dollar Store accessories for your bridal shower. Just not my thing, I guess.
The following users liked this post:
Majofo (05-22-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by street spirit
i hear ya. I just don't think it has any character. It's just "big" and that's about all one can say about it. So in that sense, size of the stone or how 'perfect' it is just doesn't do much for me when it massive. It didn't prove a point to me either, about how wealthy she is or how much hubby makes per year. It's just a huge, ugly ring.
qft
Old 05-22-2012, 10:15 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
See, and that ring does absolutely nothing for me. It looks fake and plain. Sure, it's a big diamond, but so what?! It looks like costume jewellery to me...the kind you'd wear when you're a kid and playing with princess dresses left over from Halloween, or when dressing up in ridiculous Dollar Store accessories for your bridal shower. Just not my thing, I guess.
Are you saying size doesnt matter?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just bought my gf a diamond. I only had half the cash for what the diamond was selling at, but the jeweler was happy to agree to let me pay the rest off later. Reason I did that was because my gf was pretty much set on that diamond...and honestly the quality for the price was awazing. SI1 but looking at it you would think so because there were no inclusions on the table of the rock.

Anyways, a good piece of advice - go in with a budget in mind, and maybe knock off 10-20% of that when you actually mention your budget to the jeweler. They will ask you what your budget is and bring a couple of rocks out, and in my case there were two - one that was within my budget I mentioned and another that was about 30% more, but a much higher quality.

Of course the jeweler knew that my gf would want the higher quality one. I had already panned out to pay for around that amount, and was glad that I didn't mention what I would really be willing to pay.