Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

How much to spend on a ring?

Old 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How much to spend on a ring?

For those who are married/engaged, how much did you spend on your ring? Or how much do you think I should spend? I can see myself and the lady in my avi being engaged maybe by the end of summer. I'd really like to "go crazy" for her mostly, and partly because of my "ego" and the fact that it will be a representation of me, but at the same time, i have to do whats within reason. Right now, I make 32k if that means anything...thats for your advice
Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
do 3 months salary
Old 06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

damn
Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been plenty of threads on this. You need to figure out what you are comfortable spending. Three months salary is a bit much.

I'd say find something just under 1 karat (like 0.98) with decent color, good cut and maybe VS1 or VS2.

I say this with all due respect, with your salary, you have no business spending 10k on a ring.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Forget 3 months salary. Do as much as you both will be able to afford. You are going to have other things to take care off. Like a wedding.

I spend about 2.5 months salary on mine. It was more than I wanted too spend. And more than my wife would have liked, but it was the one we choose. Remember, you can always upgrade it in a couple years. That's a nice 5 year anniversary present.

I think Moe is on the right track.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ok, so thats what you get for asking someone who has never bought a ring
Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
ok, so thats what you get for asking someone who has never bought a ring

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Forget 3 months salary. Do as much as you both will be able to afford. You are going to have other things to take care off. Like a wedding
Exactly as Ravi said, and what ever you are comfortable spending, do not feel pressured into spending more than youre budgeted for.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
I've never really understood the logic behind the "proper" amount to spend on an engagement ring. As others have mentioned, spend what you are comfortable with. Find, or custom design, a ring you both prefer and see it fits within your budget. I think far too many people think the cost of an engagement ring is a reflection of one's commitment and feelings, something I've never really understood.

I've been engaged twice, and the engagement rings were never based upon what we thought we should spend. We had more enjoyment out of shopping and designing a particular ring than worrying about how much we should spend and how it would reflect on friends and family. Talk it over with your fiance, decide what you both like, and don't be concerned about it be a reflection of yourself. Your wife is a reflection of you, as you are of her. That should be enough. When you find the ring you like, then consider the price. If you can afford it, then go for it. If not, then start over using other considerations.

Terry
Old 06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Advanced

I agree with all those saying "what you are comfortable spending".

Each person is in a different place financially speaking. If your g/f and you are on the same page, I'm sure she'll value your spending 'what makes sense financially' over you going for broke. Unless you are in the top 1% of bread takers in the world, there is no reason to spend an extravagant amount to show off. Real friends aren't going to judge you by the size of your future wife's diamond ring.

Once you're engaged (and assuming all goes as planned) the high cost items come flying fast and furious. You have the wedding, the expense of living together (new home, furniture, etc.), maybe even children (with that is a whole boatload of expenses), etc...

If your future wife and you have a lot of savings combined, you can afford to spend the 3 months salary. If the two of you are in a load of debt, you might want to purchase something small, maybe only 1 month's salary as a token (with the intent/promise to upgrade when the money is there).

You have a whole life together to pamper each other, don't throw it all away on 1 ring.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Something, something, yes

I was engaged a few years ago and bought my ring before I had a job, so I didn't even play the salary game. Plus, when you think about it, is it before or after taxes and benefits, because 3 months salary after taxes isn't a lot of bread for those of us who don't make 100k+. If it's 3 months before taxes, it then becomes more like 6 months after they steal your money away from you!

Anyway, everyone has given the perfect answer. I half expected people to be like "don't be a cheap @$$, buy her a big diamond" or something along those lines. I spent like $2400, band included, and got a near-flawless .86 princess cut diamond. It had a huge table and the way it was set made it look bigger than it was. You can always find a great deal at the mom and pop type jewelry stores, plus the customer service is 10x better than the big box places that just want your money. Check the mall, go to a smaller independent place and even check online. When you find what you want and what you're willing to pay, then you'll know which ring is right.

However, if you're looking for a .86 princess cut diamond in a size 6, 14k white gold band, I just might know a guy looking to sell... haha.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,814 Likes on 13,990 Posts
3 months salary.

But, honestly...as much as you think she is worth.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

So using the 3 mo's salary, is that take home ? (sorry if that sounds stupid)....I think 3 mo's salary is too much. I couldn't afford that. I think about $2k will do the ticket. Will that be satisfactory???
Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,814 Likes on 13,990 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungCeo
So using the 3 mo's salary, is that take home ? (sorry if that sounds stupid)....I think 3 mo's salary is too much. I couldn't afford that. I think about $2k will do the ticket. Will that be satisfactory???
Take home, sure.

But, it's just a ballpark and honestly what you can afford and what you feel she is worth.

And if she really loves you, she'll really love whatever you get...
Old 06-09-2008, 04:53 PM

You can get a good ring for 2 grand. And, like others have said, you can always upgrade size. My jeweler allows me to trade in my diamond for full purchase price towards a new diamond. So if you spend 2g's now, you might be able to "trade up" with the same jeweler and get a $4,000 ring in a few years with only having to pay out $2,000 your second time around... say for your 5th Anniv.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I make 41k and spent $3,900 on a ring & wedding band set. What cut of diamond are you looking for? I went through bluenile.com and am very pleased with my purchase. Everyone that has seen the ring loves it.

The diamond is a princess cut:

Cut: Very Good
Carat: .88
Clarity: VS2
Color: I
Depth/Table: 69.6/72
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
L/W: 1.03

If you are looking for a princess cut diamond send me a message.. I did more research on it then I wanted to, but in the end the diamond I got is fantastic.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
DON'T DO THE XX MONTH'S SALARY RULE! Honestly --- Do what YOU feel you can afford, whatever that magic number is...Whether that means you need to save for longer to put that amount away, or whether you have it saved up already! There is no rule -- only what people think you should believe.

Remember it is something she will cherish forever and wear with pride. Also remember that the ring is not the only wonderful thing about becoming engaged ---- knowing you are actually going to get married is truly exciting! Any non-materialistic woman will know the ring is only part of the excitement - a symbol of the engagement - not the definition of it.

IMO, THE most important part of the entire process is the thought, time, and care you put into making it "just perfect." It's from you, and to her, that is probably the best part.

The "perfect ring" doesn't amount to a certain budget; it could mean that you took little hints she gave about what she'd like and incorporated that into the design, or that you didn't buy it until you found just the right one. Make it something you think she will love and something that will make you happy to give her. The amount of money you think that will take is solely up to you.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:56 PM

If it helps you at all: Don't buy from jewellery stores at the mall or chain retailers (eg: Kay's, etc). You'll save a lot by getting the stone from a diamond wholesaler and getting the setting done separately from somewhere you know or trust. Chain retailers usually sell crap, and mark it up even more than usual, just to top it off.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Another thing I recommend is going to a store just to look at different diamonds. I was set on getting a D-F color diamond, but a K color diamond at the store looked perfect. You could not notice any color in the diamond.

Instead of getting a .75 D color I got a .88 I color and saved a couple hundred.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
The rule I made for myself was to spend right up to but not over the amount I got for my tax return. It's a good amount and it makes for easy saving.

But I agree with everyone else, spend as much as you are comfortable spending. It's not really how much you spend, 90% of people couldnt tell the difference between a $2K ring and a $5K ring anyway.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Street Spirit
DON'T DO THE XX MONTH'S SALARY RULE! Honestly --- Do what YOU feel you can afford, whatever that magic number is...Whether that means you need to save for longer to put that amount away, or whether you have it saved up already! There is no rule -- only what people think you should believe.

Remember it is something she will cherish forever and wear with pride. Also remember that the ring is not the only wonderful thing about becoming engaged ---- knowing you are actually going to get married is truly exciting! Any non-materialistic woman will know the ring is only part of the excitement - a symbol of the engagement - not the definition of it.

IMO, THE most important part of the entire process is the thought, time, and care you put into making it "just perfect." It's from you, and to her, that is probably the best part.

The "perfect ring" doesn't amount to a certain budget; it could mean that you took little hints she gave about what she'd like and incorporated that into the design, or that you didn't buy it until you found just the right one. Make it something you think she will love and something that will make you happy to give her. The amount of money you think that will take is solely up to you.
All of this...I agree with all of this 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Find two rings. One on the low end, and one on the high end of your budget. Why? Here's why:

By the time you get ready to buy...

1) If you feel in any way, shape, form or fashion that your ass will be on here making a thread using that same "crying face" you always make "CEO", then get the low end ring!

2) If it's all good and she loves the hell out of you...then go for the high end one!
Old 06-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Had my wifes custom made. She told me she like sapphires so I had one made with them wrapped around the band. She gets tons of compliments on it all the time. The center stone is 1.01princess vvs1 color d.Spent 7500.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.08 ct vvs1 color e 9800 stone only plus setting from the good old Hasidic jew's in nyc! Looks like i got a good deal althought its been 6 yrs if I were you I would go that route!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Race Director

please don't remind me
Old 06-09-2008, 09:12 PM

I'm just waiting for someone to bust into Grillz by Nelly and Paul Wall...

"What it do baby
Its da ice man paul wall
I got my mouth lookin somethin like a disco ball
I got da diamonds and da ice all hand set
I might cause a cold front if i take a deep breath
My teeth gleaming like im chewin on aluminum foil
Smilein showin off my diamonds sippin on some potin oil
I put my money where my mouth is and bought a grill
20 carrots 30 stacks let em know im so fo real
My motivation is from 30 pointers V VS the furniture my mouth
piece simply symbolize success
I got da wrist wear and neck wear dats captivatin
But its my smile dats got these on-lookers spectatin
My mouth piece simply certified a total package
Open up my mouth and you see mo carrots than a salad
My teeth are mind blowin givin everybody chillz
Call me George foreman cuz im sellin everybody grillz"
Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by DMMTL A-SPEC
Had my wifes custom made. She told me she like sapphires so I had one made with them wrapped around the band. She gets tons of compliments on it all the time. The center stone is 1.01princess vvs1 color d.Spent 7500.
Nice! Pics?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Nice! Pics?

I'll take one tomorrow as I am at work.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,096 Posts
If you want to get the best ring for your budget... research, research, research. Look at as many places as you can and don't just go out and get the first ring that fits in your "budget". Believe me, the sales people will throw the charm around, the this diamond might not be here in a week or what ever they can to pressure you into buying the diamond right then and there. Keep strong and just collect the info, ie 4Cs of the stone and take that to another place and compare.

I got my fiancee's ring from diamond.com. I can't say enough good things about them. I did do a ton of research and comparisons with jewerly stores first, but in the end getting it online saved me about $1000. Her center stone is a 1.04 carat, G in color, VS1 princess cut with a small bagette on each side, 18kt white gold band with platinum prongs. I paid a bit over $4600 total. Here's a link to my thread about it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/dating-relationships-14/do-you-think-shell-like-374033/

As far as how much you should pay... for me I set my budget and then added about $1000 onto it. I was slightly unrealistic when I first started looking and determined the extra $1000 was worth having the perfect ring. She constantly gets people gawking over it and two seperate diamond dealers have told us I got an extremely good deal on it, so my studying up on the 4Cs really paid off.

Last edited by SuperTrooper169; 06-09-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:59 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
its not about how much you put into the ring. its about how much you put into the marriage. if she loves you, she will love anything you give her. if 2k is what you feel comfortable with, she should agree. after all, its just a ring, it means nothing, its just a symbol, not a definition.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
ur as welcome as cancer

just thought a female perspective might be nice:

talk to her about it after you've done a little shopping on your own; my bf knows that i want this guy from black mountain to make my ring, and i could care less how big or if it's even a diamond, as long as robert makes it. don't take her shopping, surprise her with what you think she'd like. you're what means the most to her, the proposal will be the big deal, not the ring. sure some girls only care about that, and if she's the high maintenance type, then you may want to take her shopping.

in the end, it depends on the girl; will she care more about you and the proposal and the meaning of the ring, or the size, cut, and clarity of it.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:44 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Rings are just symbolic gestures at best. They are like the weddings you spend a lot on: it's for other people (bling, lookee here)! Big wedding for everyone to see you strut, and then go eat up and drink up your hard-earned for one night, and then go home! Check out the rings and weddings in the Hollywood circles! See what I mean? Million dollar weddings = ten million dollar divorces!

Put that money into an investment or your house! Don't splurge on the moochers!

Get a decent ring that you can upgrade later, plan a small, nice wedding/reception, and splurge on the honeymoon (see, that's all for you, not at all for the moochers)!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I didn't read all of the posts, so I might be restating here, but if the engagement is not a surprise, you can always take her shopping. What she likes may be way different from what you THINK she likes. I got married last year and we both went looking at rings, she liked 3 different ones so I went back and picked on my own. The prices vary so much depending on the specs so you really can't go based on price alone. I wound up getting a 1.5ct emerald cut for 4k, the wedding band was about 1500. So it wasn't too bad, I was expecting it to be more.

Don't put yourself in debt over a ring.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 AM
J35A8

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Too many marriages end over money.
Spend what you can afford, a marriage isn't about the ring.
Anyways down the line, she'll want a bigger rock.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by darksom1
Rings are just symbolic gestures at best.
Man, I hope you are still posting on here when you get married.

While I 100000000% agree with you that they are a symbolic gesture, what you failed to consider is that most people value symbolic things. A lot of women value shinny, symbolic things. Wanna guess what a lot of men value?

I don't think anyone should go over board on a ring if they can't afford it, but do not think of it as just a symbol. I was lucky to find something that my wife likes, I like and was not too much more than I wanted to spend.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:08 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Man, I hope you are still posting on here when you get married.

While I 100000000% agree with you that they are a symbolic gesture, what you failed to consider is that most people value symbolic things. A lot of women value shinny, symbolic things. Wanna guess what a lot of men value?

I don't think anyone should go over board on a ring if they can't afford it, but do not think of it as just a symbol. I was lucky to find something that my wife likes, I like and was not too much more than I wanted to spend.
Nah, I get that they are "viewed" as more than that, but that is all they are. People get divorced just as fast with big stones as little stones...if not more. That is my point. I say start off with a reasonable one. Then if things stay on the right path, you can always upgrade later. But why kick out so much in the beginning when you don't know what to expect from the union? I tell you why...for other people! She wants to bling, bling the crowd! Look at what I have! Yeah, who doesn't want thir woman to feel proud of the finger ornament, but how about waiting before you splurge on that. I don't want a woman who is so into the superficial aspects of matrimiony and misses the finer points. Will you be just as proud of that big rock you paid/are paying for if it is over after a couple of years?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Do NOT use any kind of salary x month guideline. That's what jewelers what you to spend, and it's rediculous. I've bought an engagement ring, and an "alsmost married 20 years" upgrade. Spent 1K (1990, .4ct SI1) on the first one, 8K (2007, 1.5ct SI1) on the second if that helps.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS DEAL is her. What will mean the most to her? Some women are not high-maintenance about jewelry. Some are.

First, spend a lot of time window shopping with her and get a read on what she likes, and what makes her go "oooooooh". If she gasps, pay attention. You may very well hear her say things like "don't you dare spend that much....". See what she fusses over, and what makes her eyels light up. It may NOT be the ones with the big price tag.

My generic advice is this: spend enough so she knows you sacrificed for her, but not so much you have to really suffer. At your income, I'd aim for $1500-$2000. Something around .5-.7 ct is good. She may want size over quality, or maybe visa versa. Again, the window shopping will help you dial this in. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I'M BACK!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mm well i had spent 2,200 on a ring to the girl i WAS engaged to i picked it out myself..it was funny cuz we had gone to the mall a lo0o0o0o0ong time ago whe we had just gotten together and she saw these 2 rings she loved..i went bak and got something similar..really nice ring..princess cut and all...she LOVED it and i didnt go broke

p.s. i agree with darksom...girls LOVE to floss that rock..lol..my girl walked with her hand out sumtimes without even noticing..lol...kind of like this :ghey: lol..and she gots TONS of compliments which she loved..lol..and yep...i know from experience..big rock, little rock, if it dont happen it dont happen..no matter the size of that rock..just find sumthin she will like..u dont have to go all ouit. best of luck to ya and hope you dont go thru all the shit i went thru

Last edited by dope!; 06-10-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
TSX

Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

^ That lil jewel came from your backyard Sasha! Seen it before in the window?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by arstraub
just thought a female perspective might be nice:

talk to her about it after you've done a little shopping on your own; my bf knows that i want this guy from black mountain to make my ring, and i could care less how big or if it's even a diamond, as long as robert makes it. don't take her shopping, surprise her with what you think she'd like. you're what means the most to her, the proposal will be the big deal, not the ring. sure some girls only care about that, and if she's the high maintenance type, then you may want to take her shopping.

in the end, it depends on the girl; will she care more about you and the proposal and the meaning of the ring, or the size, cut, and clarity of it.
f'in

Definitely depends on the girl. You should know by now what she likes, if you dont start paying attention. Does she wear jewelry now? What kind of purse/sunglasses/accessories does she rock? Has she mentioned rings before?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by SakiGT
Definitely depends on the girl.
Absolutely 100%

For my wife's anaversary ring, I scouted out in advance diamond prices, did all my research, and then set in my mind the target price. Then, I surprised her with our afternoon shopping trip (we got up that morning, and I said "let's go shop for your anaversary ring"). So surprising her with the shopping event was huge. Then we shopped together - I gave her the range to consider and she picked the setting and diamond (once she picked a diamond, I actually picked a slightly better one too - I mean if you're going to spend that kind of money...).

So what's the moral of the story? It's been a year and she still tells friends about the "surprise shopping trip". She still looks at her hand and smiles. She still remembers that I "upped" her choice to a better diamond (it was maybe a +10% price difference...). Even last night she was staring at it in bed, and she looked over and said, "I absolutely love this ring.". She feels that way because it was a perfect intersection of surprise, event, and material good. I say perfect because that's what resonates with my wife. Had I picked one and just gave it to her - yes, she'd have been happy but I'd have missed out on the great memory of the event and I don't think she'd recall the situation with such fondness as she does now.

Be in tune with what your gf likes. You don't even have to spend money to make a life-long impression. For my wife, the actual ring is maybe 50% of the happy memory. But when she sees the ring, she recalls all of it. The ring will forever remind her of HOW you went about giving it to her.

Last edited by 1Louder; 06-12-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: How much to spend on a ring?